996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

PCCM+ install woes--NO SOUND

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2020, 11:58 AM
Mikołaj
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hey man! Exactly this adapter was send by Porsche Classic or some guys in HQ to my Porsche Center As I mentioned, I couldnt believe too. It solved overamplification problem (white noise) but I still left with 2 mentioned.
Old 11-13-2020, 12:52 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikołaj
White noise problem is solved - Porsche send us the adapter.

But still 2 topics:

1) automatic volume adjustment (due to increasing speed) doesnt work - anyone? Can anybody confirm here that it works in his car with PCCM+?
2) nav info on cluster - Porsche said that they see only cruisecontrol option - no audio, no nav
I can confirm that automatic volume adjustment isn’t available

nav info on cluster if you didn’t have old PCM to begin with you must do the following with either PST2 or PIWIS2:

8.1 Activate PCM2.
8.2 Read out PCM2 fault memory and erase.
8.3 Match the MOST required installed components list to the actual installed components list.
8.4 Code the PCM2 according to vehicle type, versions, country-specific tuner settings and MOST switch.
8.5 Check MOST components.
8.6 Activate navigation in the "instrument cluster" control module system.
8.7 After programming is finished, read out the fault memory of all systems, remedy any existing faults, and erase fault memory.
Old 11-13-2020, 12:56 PM
Mikołaj
Track Day

Originally Posted by mffarrell
I can confirm that automatic volume adjustment isn’t available

nav info on cluster if you didn’t have old PCM to begin with you must do the following with either PST2 or PIWIS2:

8.1 Activate PCM2.
8.2 Read out PCM2 fault memory and erase.
8.3 Match the MOST required installed components list to the actual installed components list.
8.4 Code the PCM2 according to vehicle type, versions, country-specific tuner settings and MOST switch.
8.5 Check MOST components.
8.6 Activate navigation in the "instrument cluster" control module system.
8.7 After programming is finished, read out the fault memory of all systems, remedy any existing faults, and erase fault memory.
Thank for the info, BUT I had PCM 1 and non-most (+ Bose) - does it change anything?

Last edited by Mikołaj; 11-13-2020 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-13-2020, 01:08 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Thank for the info, BUT I had PCM 1 and non-most (+ Bose) - does it change anything?
I would think that you should be good to go. The small yellow plug on the left side of the unit provides data to the instrument cluster. Did you make sure it’s plugged in? On my car, I originally had just a cdr23 Bose. The PCCM will now update the clock but no Nav data. I am planning to hook up my piwis2 to see if I can get it to work.
Old 11-13-2020, 01:18 PM
Mikołaj
Track Day

I would think that you should be good to go. The small yellow plug on the left side of the unit provides data to the instrument cluster. Did you make sure it’s plugged in? On my car, I originally had just a cdr23 Bose. The PCCM will now update the clock but no Nav data. I am planning to hook up my piwis2 to see if I can get it to work.
Yellow plug is plugged for sure, because it also make the PCCM+ to turn on/off when you turn the key, right?
Old 11-13-2020, 01:25 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Yellow plug is plugged for sure, because it also make the PCCM+ to turn on/off when you turn the key, right?
Correct!
Old 11-13-2020, 01:25 PM
Mikołaj
Track Day

So its plugged, so communication with cluster is ok.
Old 11-13-2020, 01:26 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

If you change the time on the PCCM, does your clock change time in synch?
Old 11-13-2020, 01:27 PM
Mikołaj
Track Day

If you change the time on the PCCM, does your clock change time in synch?
I must check, the car is currently in Porsche Centre.
Old 11-17-2020, 05:35 PM
T3C
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
No, the Hi/Lo converter doesn't bypass the amplifier in your frunk. It takes the SPEAKER LEVEL output of brown connector B and converts it to LINE LEVEL via the Yellow C1 plug.

Basically, the Hi/Lo converter lowers the voltage of the audio signal to a more acceptable level for a car's amplifier inputs. Most amplifiers need a LINE-LEVEL source; therefore, SPEAKER-LEVEL output is too strong. The results are the audio coming from the speaker will be overdriven producing harmful distortion.
UPDATE
I received the correct hi/lo converter and it provided sound to the speakers; however, I got a fair bit of alternator noise. So I put a self-tapping screw into the frame (the crossbeam behind the head unit) and ran a wire to it from the black ground wire. This reduced the noise somewhat, but it wasn't perfect. So what ended up happening is that I sold the carrera and bought a 996 Turbo with 37k miles and a stock Becker head unit. I was able to exclude the PCCM+ from the sale of my carrera so sometime in the near future I'll go about installing it. But, for right now, I'm enjoying the sound of this beautiful flat-six turbo and couldn't care less about the stereo.

Last edited by T3C; 11-17-2020 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-17-2020, 05:55 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Originally Posted by T3C
UPDATE
I received the correct hi/lo converter and it provided sound to the speakers; however, I got a fair bit of alternator noise. So I put a self-tapping screw into the frame (the crossbeam behind the head unit) and ran a wire to it from the black ground wire. This reduced the noise somewhat, but it wasn't perfect. So what ended up happening is that I sold the carrera and bought a 996 Turbo with 37k miles and a stock Becker head unit. I was able to exclude the PCCM+ from the sale of my carrera so sometime in the near future I'll go about installing it. But, for right now, I'm enjoying the sound of this beautiful flat-six turbo and couldn't care less about the stereo.
Let me get this straight... you couldn't get the PCCM+ radio to work perfectly in your Carrera and so you sold the car, but kept the PCCM+ radio? Wow!

Man, could you give us guys some marital advice?
Old 11-17-2020, 06:12 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,777 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Originally Posted by T3C
But, for right now, I'm enjoying the sound of this beautiful flat-six turbo and couldn't care less about the stereo.
Very nice! Is that Black or Midnight Blue? Looks like Midnight Blue but sometimes hard to tell.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:09 AM
T3C
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by theprf
Very nice! Is that Black or Midnight Blue? Looks like Midnight Blue but sometimes hard to tell.
Black over black.
Old 11-26-2020, 02:05 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,009 Posts

As it stands right now, the consensus is the PCCM+ does not offer pre-amp analog line-level output via the C1 ISO output. Therefore, the SPEAKER LEVEL output from the B connector on the PCCM+ will have to be attenuated to LINE LEVEL to avoid distortion with the M490 HAES amplifiers. This is for non-MOST analog systems from 99-2002. Bergvill has been producing radio solutions for Porsche for many years.

Here is a Hi/LO adapter/ wire harness for this solution.

https://www.bergvillfx.com/products/...96boxster-m490

Old 11-26-2020, 02:57 PM
James_03C4S
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

I've been following all the drama related to the PCCM+ installation woes in the multiple related threads. I understand that Porsche wants this installed via the Dealer but it seems that even the dealer instructions are inadequate to address the various installation issues noted in the threads. You'd think there would be a more comprehensive installation procedure with Porsche documented instructions for these units and not leave it up to the forums to resolve issues that should have not have been issues to begin with.

Quick Reply: PCCM+ install woes--NO SOUND