Sponsored by:

zbomb's confused 996

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 02:07 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 240 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by mehoff

500/700 is way too soft and creates epic ABS issues. 700/800 is good if you’re running a low profile tire (640 or below), but still a bit of a compromise; really more for nasty bumpy tracks. 800/1000 created a weird gremlin on my car....porposing and general instability (I think that’s a “my car” issue tho). 1000/1200 is just right!

That's in line with what others have found. Higher spring rates seem to be the way to go.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:18 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,285 Likes on 1,808 Posts

Originally Posted by theprf
Oh, I thought you were running PS2's. Yes, the R888R is not well thought of on 911's especially Turbos. Quite a few guys have had rear tread separations and blowouts on the track. I think that's because there is so much weight on the 911's back tires. That's not an issue with the Corrado with less than 900 pounds on each front tire. I run NT01's on the 996TT.

Anyway the R888R's were fantastic. I clicked off four 2:01's in a row then a 2:00 before I had to take a cool down lap because of the oil temps. And I now know that I was not using a good line through 5-4-3 and I ought to be able to improve that next time.

If you're getting excessive wear on the inside of the rear tires it's probably a toe issue. Camber does not really cause much wear unless you go crazy aggressive, 3 or 4 degrees won't change the wear pattern very much.
Ive been running PS4S on track on my stock wheels. When I bought the E88s they came with the R888’s with the inner wear. MY PS4S wearing fine.

Good to hear you had a successful day, got a confirmation I’ll be running clockwise on Sunday.

Originally Posted by cwbrown
What wing does you buddy have there on the right?
I have wing envy on both BTW
I believe that’s a GT2 rep wing.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:47 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,766 Likes on 1,123 Posts

Originally Posted by zbomb
Ive been running PS4S on track on my stock wheels. When I bought the E88s they came with the R888’s with the inner wear. MY PS4S wearing fine.

Good to hear you had a successful day, got a confirmation I’ll be running clockwise on Sunday.
OIC about the tires.
I have a go to meeting subscription, if you want to do a virtual track walk I could set that up.
The following users liked this post:
zbomb (10-20-2020)
Old 10-20-2020, 02:59 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,761 Likes on 2,152 Posts

I have run proxies on my 2002 996 C2 as well as Hoosiers, and sport cups.

my choices for speed and handling assuming you are a ble to transport the car and/or tires to the track to put on later, are as follows.

​​​​​​1. Hoosiers
2. Sport cups
3. Proxies

if you have to drive the car to the track with no way to transport Hoosiers, then my choice is as follows.

1. Sport cups
2. Proxies
3. Hoosiers.

Proxies are good on the track, but sport cups in my opinion have better sidewall strength and longevity. Possibly better track times. Hoosier have better sidewall and grip than proxies, with odds of more speed. There is a reason Hoosiers are nicknamed "black crack" . Once you use them, you become addicted.

the safest of the three to drive to the track are obviously the sport cups. However, I have driven many times to the track on proxys at 50 mph in lousy weather. As a side note, I don't recommend it. Any hint of water or too cold of weather and you are driving on ice. Sport cups 2s offer better traction in the wet. However, they are not street tires so you will get in trouble in a downpour.

Clearly you should never attempt to drive Hoosiers on the street even though they are dot approved.

Bottom line in my humble experience: if you are driving to and from the track on the tires, your best choice are sport cups. If you are transporting the car and tires on a trailer, go with Hoosiers.

One final thought, proxies are loud as he'll.

Hope the info helps.
zbomb (10-20-2020)
Old 10-20-2020, 03:01 PM
paddlefoot64
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by zbomb
2.5in lips installed and spacers showed up today as well.

Hopefully tomorrow pics of the wheels on the car and at least close to fitting.

For now, enjoy this hot, hot fire

Those have to be the best looking wheels I’ve seen on 911!
zbomb (10-20-2020)
Old 10-20-2020, 03:10 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by GC996
I have run proxies on my 2002 996 C2 as well as Hoosiers, and sport cups.

my choices for speed and handling assuming you are a ble to transport the car and/or tires to the track to put on later, are as follows.

​​​​​​1. Hoosiers
2. Sport cups
3. Proxies

if you have to drive the car to the track with no way to transport Hoosiers, then my choice is as follows.

1. Sport cups
2. Proxies
3. Hoosiers.

Proxies are good on the track, but sport cups in my opinion have better sidewall strength and longevity. Possibly better track times. Hoosier have better sidewall and grip than proxies, with odds of more speed. There is a reason Hoosiers are nicknamed "black crack" . Once you use them, you become addicted.

the safest of the three to drive to the track are obviously the sport cups. However, I have driven many times to the track on proxys at 50 mph in lousy weather. As a side note, I don't recommend it. Any hint of water or too cold of weather and you are driving on ice. Sport cups 2s offer better traction in the wet. However, they are not street tires so you will get in trouble in a downpour.

Clearly you should never attempt to drive Hoosiers on the street even though they are dot approved.

Bottom line in my humble experience: if you are driving to and from the track on the tires, your best choice are sport cups. If you are transporting the car and tires on a trailer, go with Hoosiers.

One final thought, proxies are loud as he'll.

Hope the info helps.
Cant write as long a response as I would like (Office) but how was the longevity with the Hoosiers ?

Like are you replacing them 2x as often as say at Pilot Sport Cup or Toyo ?
Old 10-20-2020, 03:11 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by theprf
OIC about the tires.
I have a go to meeting subscription, if you want to do a virtual track walk I could set that up.
Aaron, That would be awesome. I’ll reach out in the PMs later today to see if we can lineup timing.

THANKS !
Old 10-20-2020, 03:18 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

My experience has been that you will get between 3-5 30 min sessions out of each set of Hoosiers. Depends on how fast of a run group you run in, track temperatures etc. I have run them in the black group in the Chicago region over many years and over three different tracks. Road America, Blackhawk Farms and autobahn.

Those that run in the slower groups seem to get 5-8 30 minute sessions out of them. Suffice to say, Hoosiers wear much faster than proxies or sport cups, but are incredibly faster. The question is how much do yo want to spend to go faster, and you will.

Sport cups give you the most longevity. Then proxies and then Hoosiers.

If you try Hoosiers, you will become addicted.

Hope that helps.

zbomb (10-20-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 11:12 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 803 Posts

My experience has been that you will get between 3-5 30 min sessions out of each set of Hoosiers. Depends on how fast of a run group you run in, track temperatures etc. I have run them in the black group in the Chicago region over many years and over three different tracks. Road America, Blackhawk Farms and autobahn.

Those that run in the slower groups seem to get 5-8 30 minute sessions out of them. Suffice to say, Hoosiers wear much faster than proxies or sport cups, but are incredibly faster. The question is how much do yo want to spend to go faster, and you will.

Sport cups give you the most longevity. Then proxies and then Hoosiers.

If you try Hoosiers, you will become addicted.

Hope that helps.
Are those A7s? That wear seems excessive on R7s.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:17 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Never remember which one is autocross and which one is track. I use the track version. Tire Rack says they are good for 8 heat cycles. Track temp, characteristics, car, set-up, driver experience/speed, etc., all play into the equation. If you are an average driver at average speed you will probably get 8 heat cycles out of it. If you are fast, it's a hot day, track is trippy withlots of braking/turning areas, you may only get 4-6. Hoosiers are awesome, but just like all tires, they will eventually get greasy. You have to make a decision as the driver when you want to put a new set on.
Old 10-21-2020, 01:15 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Remember, Hoosiers are soft rubber that is sticky to the touch before being used. They deteriorate fast. You can't compare Hoosier rubber to street tires. Very different animal.

If you are worried about durability, your best bet is a set of sport cup 2s.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:39 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Had to do it for you guys... picked the wheels up tonight and thought I would be doing a disservice to my comrades if I just put up a garage photo so I had to lug the old girl out of the garage for a rare after work test drive.

Some work to do on the rear, glad I don't care about the rubber that's on it, will let me fine tune and make sure I'm in good shape for new meats. The wider tire on the front makes a huge difference even just putting around. Excited to get this setup refined and try it on track in the spring.

The following 4 users liked this post by zbomb:
Einsteiger (01-28-2021), golock911 (10-22-2020), Jnelso (10-21-2020), RC713 (10-22-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 06:18 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Zbomb,

Looking very good. Quick question on front end aero that I may have missed. Did or will you be bolting on the GT3 or GT3 Cup front spoiler?
Old 10-22-2020, 08:36 AM
zbomb
Race Car

Zbomb,

Looking very good. Quick question on front end aero that I may have missed. Did or will you be bolting on the GT3 or GT3 Cup front spoiler?
Thanks !

Right now JT dive planes only front aero.

Not sure what I’ll be doing for a splitter. Standard C2 bumper options seem to limited so thinking about if I have to modify something to make it work, what do I want to start with.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:28 PM
RC713
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 49 Posts

Final tire and wheel sizes? Thanks. Loving the refinement of the build.

Quick Reply: zbomb's confused 996