996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

zbomb's confused 996

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 01:34 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 366 Posts

you have done some cool stuff to the car.
I also question whether you are under 3k, what are using for a scale?
if the stock pads were working ok for you, you are driving at a novice level...we all started somewhere of course so nothing wrong with that. You will notice a big dif at track. what tires are you running (not sure if I missed it).
What is going on with your harness and the rad clamps on the half cage? the harness' need to be attached to the floor and go over the bar btw.
I like some of the stuff you have done but as Quadcammer said just get some seat time with an instructor, hard to do this year I think with covid. Get good habits and keep em. Get some footage at least of track and post on de section and experienced racers will help you.
Oh and change those pumpkins (front turn signals) to clear
Old 09-27-2020, 05:56 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,484 Likes on 2,010 Posts

Zbomb,

Very impressive on what you have done to your car. I wish I had your mechanical skills! Enjoying your videos as well!

Given all the incredible work you have done to your car, here are three thoughts if you are serious about getting faster around the track.

1. I wouldn't spend another penny on the car until you put in a limited slip differential. All the aero in the world is worthless until you can eliminate the inside rear wheel spin and get power to the outside wheel. It will also provide more stability, balance and the ability to rotate the rear end. Once you get one, you will be amazed at how much faster you become, and kick yourself in what you were missing.

2. Braking power is critical. You will quickly outgrow your stock brakes. Agree with you in trying different pads and rotors first, but as you get faster and brake later, you will find them inadequate. It will be smart to budget this in if you want to shave off lap time. As a side note, I have been running a Brembo GT big brake kit on my car for nearly 15 years with slotted rotors and Pagid yellows. Never, ever had a problem stopping my car when the breaks are cold on the street. They may squeal like he'll, but have never had a problem stopping. However, I always make sure when replacing the pads to bed them in properly. Until they are, stopping power is muted. But this is the case for any brakes.

3. Proper instruction is critical. You may or may not have a good local PCA region that does a lot of track events. But I can guarantee you that somewhere in the northeast are a few good regions that host DE events at the NE tracks. At every event are PCA instructors that are experienced with the 996 and its quirks on the track. You need these folks to help you. sCCA events are great, but most of the instructors and drivers are not familiar with the difference in driving style between a front engine, mid engine and rear engine Porsche.

At this stage, I would recommend only spending time at Pca de events, so you can surround yourself with rear engine culture, instruction, tips, experience etc. There is nothing better as a novice than to be able to sit in the passenger seat of your instructors 996 as they travel around the track and you can see their line, braking areas, turn in, throttle actions etc., as it relates to the balancing quirks of the 996.

Rear engine Porsches are not quite the same as driving a front engine or mid engine car. If you don't believe me, try following a 944 or a Cayman around the carousel, kink, thunder alley and then Canada corner at Road America, and you will not only see the huge differences in how the cars handle, but more importantly you will see the different approaches needed to finesse each car at different points around the track. You need this insight to improve your lap times. This is where the Pca events are a huge advantage in getter faster in your 996.

Hope this helps. Always great to see someone who enjoys the 996 experience. Keep it going!
The following 3 users liked this post by GC996:
paddlefoot64 (10-14-2020), Ratchet1025 (09-28-2020), zbomb (09-27-2020)
Old 09-27-2020, 08:11 AM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,277 Likes on 1,807 Posts

Originally Posted by sweet victory
Great looking build! How are you liking those LED tail lights? My passenger side has the typical crack, and been looking at the OEM looking LED replacements.
I replaced my stockers due to same crack, aesthetically, I think they do a lot to modernize the rear of the car. I think these were like $300 for the pair. They look awesome at night.

Originally Posted by Turbodan
you have done some cool stuff to the car.
I also question whether you are under 3k, what are using for a scale?
if the stock pads were working ok for you, you are driving at a novice level...we all started somewhere of course so nothing wrong with that. You will notice a big dif at track. what tires are you running (not sure if I missed it).
What is going on with your harness and the rad clamps on the half cage? the harness' need to be attached to the floor and go over the bar btw.
I like some of the stuff you have done but as Quadcammer said just get some seat time with an instructor, hard to do this year I think with covid. Get good habits and keep em. Get some footage at least of track and post on de section and experienced racers will help you.
Oh and change those pumpkins (front turn signals) to clear
Flat out Motorsports corner balance scales. https://www.flatout-motorsports.com Feel free to enter the pool with QC and I and guess the weight. It will be on the same scales when new suspension parts get installed...

Harnesses are installed per Schroth instruction on attaching to roll bar. Clamps are to assure they don't move on the bar.

Keeping the orange lights.

Originally Posted by GC996
Zbomb,

Very impressive on what you have done to your car. I wish I had your mechanical skills! Enjoying your videos as well!

Given all the incredible work you have done to your car, here are three thoughts if you are serious about getting faster around the track.

1. I wouldn't spend another penny on the car until you put in a limited slip differential. All the aero in the world is worthless until you can eliminate the inside rear wheel spin and get power to the outside wheel. It will also provide more stability, balance and the ability to rotate the rear end. Once you get one, you will be amazed at how much faster you become, and kick yourself in what you were missing.

2. Braking power is critical. You will quickly outgrow your stock brakes. Agree with you in trying different pads and rotors first, but as you get faster and brake later, you will find them inadequate. It will be smart to budget this in if you want to shave off lap time. As a side note, I have been running a Brembo GT big brake kit on my car for nearly 15 years with slotted rotors and Pagid yellows. Never, ever had a problem stopping my car when the breaks are cold on the street. They may squeal like he'll, but have never had a problem stopping. However, I always make sure when replacing the pads to bed them in properly. Until they are, stopping power is muted. But this is the case for any brakes.

3. Proper instruction is critical. You may or may not have a good local PCA region that does a lot of track events. But I can guarantee you that somewhere in the northeast are a few good regions that host DE events at the NE tracks. At every event are PCA instructors that are experienced with the 996 and its quirks on the track. You need these folks to help you. sCCA events are great, but most of the instructors and drivers are not familiar with the difference in driving style between a front engine, mid engine and rear engine Porsche.

At this stage, I would recommend only spending time at Pca de events, so you can surround yourself with rear engine culture, instruction, tips, experience etc. There is nothing better as a novice than to be able to sit in the passenger seat of your instructors 996 as they travel around the track and you can see their line, braking areas, turn in, throttle actions etc., as it relates to the balancing quirks of the 996.

Rear engine Porsches are not quite the same as driving a front engine or mid engine car. If you don't believe me, try following a 944 or a Cayman around the carousel, kink, thunder alley and then Canada corner at Road America, and you will not only see the huge differences in how the cars handle, but more importantly you will see the different approaches needed to finesse each car at different points around the track. You need this insight to improve your lap times. This is where the Pca events are a huge advantage in getter faster in your 996.

Hope this helps. Always great to see someone who enjoys the 996 experience. Keep it going!
Thanks for watching the videos and the kind words and most of all the great input, I appreciate it.

Old 09-27-2020, 11:48 AM
sgt1372
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 113 Posts

Interesting. Not my cup of tea but I'm not into racing.

So, how well does it run on the track?

I doubt a few 100#'s (give or take) will make all that much difference in track times. Seems like there's a whole list of other things that would matter more in making the car go faster but lower weight is certainly a clear objective if you need something to focus on in preping the car for the track.

Good luck!
Old 09-27-2020, 03:34 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by sgt1372
Interesting. Not my cup of tea but I'm not into racing.

So, how well does it run on the track?

I doubt a few 100#'s (give or take) will make all that much difference in track times. Seems like there's a whole list of other things that would matter more in making the car go faster but lower weight is certainly a clear objective if you need something to focus on in preping the car for the track.

Good luck!
Runs like this... And ounces = LBS on a car that does not have much power...Thats my take anyway.

The following 2 users liked this post by zbomb:
DGI (09-04-2021), OVR EZ (01-02-2023)
Old 09-27-2020, 04:35 PM
sgt1372
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by zbomb
Runs like this... And ounces = LBS on a car that does not have much power...Thats my take anyway.
Nice run. Looked almost leisurely, except when you looked at the g's meter. Where was the Vette you "ate?" Must have been near the end of the clip; didn't watch the whole thing.

Wouild be interested to see how my C7 7MT 460HP would stack up on that track; only problem it's a convertible and probably couldn't run w/o a roll bar.

Oh well . . .guess we'll never know. LOL!
Old 09-27-2020, 04:44 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by sgt1372
Nice run. Looked almost leisurely, except when you looked at the g's meter. Where was the Vette you "ate?" Must have been near the end of the clip; didn't watch the whole thing.

Wouild be interested to see how my C7 7MT 460HP would stack up on that track; only problem it's a convertible and probably couldn't run w/o a roll bar.

Oh well . . .guess we'll never know. LOL!
It would be a ****load faster than a 996...in a straight line

Here's most of the passes, I think you'll see some vettes in there

Old 09-27-2020, 05:27 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,359 Likes on 1,972 Posts

I like the "Outlaw Street Vibe" on your car. I prefer function over concours like you do.
The following 3 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
JohnCA58 (09-28-2020), paddlefoot64 (10-14-2020), RC713 (09-28-2020)
Old 09-27-2020, 05:32 PM
zbomb
Race Car

You know I value your opinion Skip - Thanks. You've been a big help along the way and I really appreciate it.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:47 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,359 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Originally Posted by zbomb
You know I value your opinion Skip - Thanks. You've been a big help along the way and I really appreciate it.
I like helping people especially when they are making decisions I approve of !!
The following 2 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
golock911 (09-27-2020), zbomb (09-27-2020)
Old 09-28-2020, 12:07 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

I really like your car...both looks and mods-wise.
If I were you, I'd keep it looking like it currently does.
I like the mismatched look.

I feel like my car is a bit confused as well.
Mine is a dual use daily/autoX-track oriented car, but I've been leaning more towards DD duties.
Someday I'll pick up another car, or more likely a truck, and then it will become an AutoX/Track - weekend car.
I might do more of the mods you have done then.
Mine still has most of its interior...for now.

The following 2 users liked this post by TexSquirrel:
paddlefoot64 (10-14-2020), zbomb (09-28-2020)
Old 09-28-2020, 06:17 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
I really like your car...both looks and mods-wise.
If I were you, I'd keep it looking like it currently does.
I like the mismatched look.

I feel like my car is a bit confused as well.
Mine is a dual use daily/autoX-track oriented car, but I've been leaning more towards DD duties.
Someday I'll pick up another car, or more likely a truck, and then it will become an AutoX/Track - weekend car.
I might do more of the mods you have done then.
Mine still has most of its interior...for now.

Thanks Tex, I get a real enjoyment modifying the car, the evolving vision of what I want it to be. I’m pretty happy where it is now and enjoy sharing it with others. The more I change, the more time I can spend around it when I’m not actually driving it.

I did 160 miles on a Sunday drive with one of my YT subscribers yesterday - it was a blast and the car still
works well as a road thrasher.

Last edited by zbomb; 09-28-2020 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:25 PM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 138 Posts

I am literally drooling over your car, please keep sharing the gory details! I also need to try the rear diff, I have lots of laps and can compare easily. Maybe a Black Friday present to myself??
Old 09-29-2020, 10:59 AM
thurstonpowers3
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Your car seems to have a very similar ethos to my car, I want a highly track oriented car that I can still drive to the grocery store. My car is on GT3 coil overs, has solid engine mounts, -3* of camber, Hawk HT-10 pads, and feels very uncompromised in its approach but I love the way it drives. I may never afford a GT3 so I want as much of the experience as I can get in my budget.
The following 4 users liked this post by thurstonpowers3:
Projekt EPiK (02-22-2021), Ratchet1025 (09-29-2020), Triple Black (12-06-2020), zbomb (09-29-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 01:44 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by thurstonpowers3
I may never afford a GT3 so I want as much of the experience as I can get in my budget.
Dont worry, that will make you a better driver the those driving newer get cars.
The following users liked this post:
imhighlander (12-17-2022)

Quick Reply: zbomb's confused 996