996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

zbomb's confused 996

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2022, 11:02 AM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,292 Likes on 1,812 Posts

@powdrhound what do you see for dimms on gurney - 3/4x3/4 ?

Reference https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...cker-flap.html

Old 07-21-2022, 11:51 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,098 Posts

Originally Posted by zbomb
@powdrhound what do you see for dimms on gurney - 3/4x3/4 ?

Reference https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...cker-flap.html
I used the OEM 997Cup one just like the one in your link above.
The following users liked this post:
zbomb (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 08:36 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Well John, it's not the motorsports part, but it cost $9, so for testing purposes, it will do. I like the price a lot more than the sway bar is likely to cost me

The following 2 users liked this post by zbomb:
damage98MO (07-30-2022), TheChunkNorris (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 08:48 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,422 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Originally Posted by GC996
Understood. From my perspective I don't look at it as charity but more-so you will be tracking the car and providiing public data regardless of whether you get another part to test or not.
It ain't charity.
You're a paid guinea pig!
Old 07-21-2022, 08:51 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,422 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Well John, it's not the motorsports part, but it cost $9, so for testing purposes, it will do. I like the price a lot more than the sway bar is likely to cost me
What did you make it out of?
Old 07-21-2022, 08:58 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Poor man CF, also known as aluminum angle stock.
Old 07-21-2022, 09:05 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Looks great Jason. Doesn’t have to be CF. That should give you a bit of additional downforce in the high speed sweepers. Won’t do anything noticeable on the slow corners which will need to be addressed with suspension components and shock tuning.
Old 07-21-2022, 09:15 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,854 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
It ain't charity.
You're a paid guinea pig!
He's the athlete. We are the sponsors. Team effort.
Old 07-21-2022, 10:45 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Yeah John, impact may be small but so was the cost of entry. It will be a bit before I have the budget to put new parts on the car, so unless I find a deal on SB, or some springs to play with, this is what I got for a bit. Aaron said I could use his stock turbo SB, maybe that would be an improvement, not sure... but that may happen at some point.

I am motivated to learn more about the process of optimizing the setup. It's kind of funny, I have starting setups from 3 sources, JRZ, Olsen (they publish on their site) and Anze. All 3 are wildly different. Olsen suggests starting with the low speed at max which effectively turns the 3 way into a 2 way https://www.olsenmotorsports.net/blo...ng-out-3-ways/ , this is something Chris had mentioned to me a long time ago as a way to ease into the 3 way tuning process (I had told him about my reservations on developing the 3 way setup lacking any technical support, like the kind I would have to pay for ), seems sensible. A couple folks have mentioned running through sweeps, I am not sure the best way to accomplish sweep testing, maybe leave the low speed out initially, run the sweeps and then once a picture starts to form based on the high speed and reb, bring the low speed in and sweep it independently. In any event, I think that I have a pretty good method to capture data, feel and results that is easy enough that I can do it by myself between sessions for the info that should come at time of collection and fill in the other stuff during data review.

As I become more aware of the impact of changes with regards to tuning, I would like to think that as hardware changes happen, I will be able to assess their efficacy more discretely than where I am now which is, everything is new, my driving is rusty and I don't know what settings I should change to make the car behave in a certain way other than the obvious.

I knew, but didn't really want to acknowledge that I was entering a world I knew nothing about. The previous setup on the car was fast enough to be one of the faster cars at most events I attended and it was basically an off the shelf turn key show up and drive, no adjusting, no keeping track of anything, no nothing - just drive it... I thought I was pretty smart with my chosen parts combo working that well and needing so little attention to achieve the results it did. But that was always small pond fishing and I eventually want to be able to venture into waters a lot deeper than that, Its appropriate to have to put in a lot more work than I did if that's really where I want to go.
damage98MO (07-30-2022)
Old 07-22-2022, 12:41 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Yeah John, impact may be small but so was the cost of entry. It will be a bit before I have the budget to put new parts on the car, so unless I find a deal on SB, or some springs to play with, this is what I got for a bit. Aaron said I could use his stock turbo SB, maybe that would be an improvement, not sure... but that may happen at some point.

I am motivated to learn more about the process of optimizing the setup. It's kind of funny, I have starting setups from 3 sources, JRZ, Olsen (they publish on their site) and Anze. All 3 are wildly different. Olsen suggests starting with the low speed at max which effectively turns the 3 way into a 2 way https://www.olsenmotorsports.net/blo...ng-out-3-ways/ , this is something Chris had mentioned to me a long time ago as a way to ease into the 3 way tuning process (I had told him about my reservations on developing the 3 way setup lacking any technical support, like the kind I would have to pay for ), seems sensible. A couple folks have mentioned running through sweeps, I am not sure the best way to accomplish sweep testing, maybe leave the low speed out initially, run the sweeps and then once a picture starts to form based on the high speed and reb, bring the low speed in and sweep it independently. In any event, I think that I have a pretty good method to capture data, feel and results that is easy enough that I can do it by myself between sessions for the info that should come at time of collection and fill in the other stuff during data review.

As I become more aware of the impact of changes with regards to tuning, I would like to think that as hardware changes happen, I will be able to assess their efficacy more discretely than where I am now which is, everything is new, my driving is rusty and I don't know what settings I should change to make the car behave in a certain way other than the obvious.

I knew, but didn't really want to acknowledge that I was entering a world I knew nothing about. The previous setup on the car was fast enough to be one of the faster cars at most events I attended and it was basically an off the shelf turn key show up and drive, no adjusting, no keeping track of anything, no nothing - just drive it... I thought I was pretty smart with my chosen parts combo working that well and needing so little attention to achieve the results it did. But that was always small pond fishing and I eventually want to be able to venture into waters a lot deeper than that, Its appropriate to have to put in a lot more work than I did if that's really where I want to go.
I think you have a pretty good idea Jason of where to start in the process of dialing everything in. It's never an easy process. With my set up for example, we started with 1700F/1800R springs and after quite a bit of testing ended up bumping the rear springs to 2000 and then finally to 2100 to get the perfect balance. We also lowered the front roll center via shorter LCA trunnion pins. Sway bar settings changed several times along the way and shocks were adjusted to tie it all together. It is an arduous process but very rewarding in the end. Patience is the key. You are embarking on a similar process where you will be fine tuning along the way to get your desired result. I would pick the easiest things that you can change and work with those to get an improvement in the areas you are not happy with. Nobody wants to spend more money but if I were you I would make an adjustable front sway bar a priority. I know the GT3 5-way front bars are not cheap but they do pop up used from time to time. Tarett makes a direct copy which is always an alternative at a lower price point. I do not believe a stock TT sway bar is going to do anything for you as it's soft and has no adjustment range. Beyond that, adjusting your shocks and experimenting with tire pressures is a total freebie. Don't get discouraged as you will start seeing positive results soon enough.
zbomb (07-22-2022)
Old 07-22-2022, 04:26 PM
mehoff
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
I think you have a pretty good idea Jason of where to start in the process of dialing everything in. It's never an easy process. With my set up for example, we started with 1700F/1800R springs and after quite a bit of testing ended up bumping the rear springs to 2000 and then finally to 2100 to get the perfect balance. We also lowered the front roll center via shorter LCA trunnion pins. Sway bar settings changed several times along the way and shocks were adjusted to tie it all together. It is an arduous process but very rewarding in the end. Patience is the key. You are embarking on a similar process where you will be fine tuning along the way to get your desired result. I would pick the easiest things that you can change and work with those to get an improvement in the areas you are not happy with. Nobody wants to spend more money but if I were you I would make an adjustable front sway bar a priority. I know the GT3 5-way front bars are not cheap but they do pop up used from time to time. Tarett makes a direct copy which is always an alternative at a lower price point. I do not believe a stock TT sway bar is going to do anything for you as it's soft and has no adjustment range. Beyond that, adjusting your shocks and experimenting with tire pressures is a total freebie. Don't get discouraged as you will start seeing positive results soon enough.

I’ll jump in late here, but initial reaction was was, way, way too much front tire. I have a .7cup front end on my car which can run up to 305, and I’ve settled at a lowly 250. That tire has been a good balance of speed and durability (note: best single lap time was on a 240). These cars have no HP and the added rolling resistance actually hinders lap time. Along the same lines, running zero toe in front was designed for the top 1% of the top 1%, extracting that extra 1/2mph where available. I never liked it as the car was dart-y (by design), which made me uncomfortable in tight traffic. I added a couple minutes of toe and that made the steering much heavier and, as a result of increased confidence, made me faster. That’s a personal preference, but thought it worth imparting here.

As for sway bars, I have the GT3 cup front and rear and haven’t moved them from middle since the day the car hit the track. Any adjustment I’ve needed could be achieved with damper adjustments. And listen to Anze, he’s the dude and is very generous with his knowledge.

Finally, I have the same Home Depot-special gurney and love it!
The following 6 users liked this post by mehoff:
damage98MO (07-30-2022), Jnelso (07-22-2022), JohnCA58 (07-23-2022), Justin76 (07-23-2022), TheChunkNorris (07-22-2022), zbomb (07-22-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-24-2022, 08:09 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Thanks for the comments, @mehoff . I remember your input from earlier in the thread and don't want you to think I wasn't paying attention, the big front tire is NOT what you suggested then. The plan for the car does not include an M96 for much longer, the goal for this year is focussed on getting this chassis to a point where I am happy and knowledgable with it enough so when I put more power in the car, I can work around tuning that setup in an educated way. Of course, I would like to be able to get that education through experience AND make the car faster at the same time, so I would like to see modest improvements over where I was last year. I don't think the overall speed traces are wildly different from where they were (speed from last corner and down straight within 1MPH) and the degradation I am seeing is 1. driver not doing my part and 2. certain corners with a greatly reduced min v. I will keep your toe comments in mind, I had talked a fair bit with the folks who setup my suspension, and they, and Anze were on board with this as a starting point - I think I'll give it a couple days, I don't feel the dartiness you mention (I may not be good enough) and for the most part, the front end feels pretty good.

Angelo is really good and if I had him with me at the track, this would be sorted in an afternoon I think, but he's super busy and I want to learn and lean on him when I'm spinning my wheels (haha, you see what I did there... spinning my wheels, get it?)

Today was some work to get ready for couple track days in the span of a week. 3 sessions Tuesday and another 5 or 6 on Sunday. Nut and bolted the car and found the drivers rear sway bracket had become loose and the bracket was shifted rearward a fair amount. I got that corrected and paint marked the collars, should just be able to quick eye ball it going forward. Removed the pass seat and harness stuff, don't need that weight for the next couple days and getting to the rear rebound adjusters is a pain in the *** with both seats in, I will need easy access to them for a bit. Side note, JRZ remote rebound adjusters are pretty affordable, $60 ea.... BUT, they are built in Europe and it costs $75 bucks shipping to get them, gonna keep the rear seat out for ease of adjustment I think. Cleaned the BBS, my god were they filthy - I hate cleaning wheels but do like seeing them clean. Bled the fluid that was in the vicinity of the calipers, just to make sure got rid of the worst of the fluid. Lastly, the 3M VHB tape I needed for the Gurney flap install arrived so I got that guy secured... Gotta say, that thing makes the wing look a lot more bad ***. ETA... Since I lost one muffler, running straight pipes til I figure something out better, turn downs direct off the cat pipes... I'm a hack, I admit it.

Tires wearing pretty even.

This wheel cleaner is the bomb... but they were disgusting enough they took some scrubbing too.

All cleaned up

I like this car

Last edited by zbomb; 07-24-2022 at 08:18 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by zbomb:
damage98MO (07-30-2022), Justin76 (07-24-2022), plpete84 (07-25-2022)
Old 07-24-2022, 09:15 PM
lgyee4
Banned

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I have front brake envy
Old 07-25-2022, 10:02 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,120 Likes on 974 Posts

I highly recommend doing a ceramic coating on your wheels... it really cuts down on the cleaning process.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheChunkNorris:
Justin76 (07-26-2022), plpete84 (07-25-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 10:30 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,432 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris
I highly recommend doing a ceramic coating on your wheels... it really cuts down on the cleaning process.

But that wont make him go any faster .

im pretty sure ill be coating my street rims this winter. The race pad make eveything filthy
TheChunkNorris (07-26-2022)

Quick Reply: zbomb's confused 996