Sponsored by:

Installation guide of the PCCM Plus

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 10:17 AM
Brad85
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank Edens
I believe it is a strange glitch. Mine did that but after I connected everything properly and went to settings it showed for a second and then I pushed settings again and I went to Volume. I don't recall if you are getting sound or not.. Please let me know if that is working or if you were trying to go to settings to fix the volume. If so, I can probably help you with the sound. Unplug the cord that is giving the power and that may help with the warning when you plug it back up.

Let me know. Do you have a picture of the back with everything plugged in?

Frank
Frank,
My sound works fine. I just can't get past the message saying my car is moving, when it's not...
Old 04-22-2021, 06:57 PM
mark_mia
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Brad85 - same issue - traffic safety warning and settings button does not work (or the native GPS). I don't care about the GPS - use Waze through CarPlay - but I need to be able to change the settings. It's also annoying when something brand new does not work.

I went back and forth with Porsche - and the local dealer - so many times they agreed to provide a new head unit (under warranty). I installed that new unit - much faster this time - and I get the same error message (traffic safety/motion). The odds of two faulty units are extremely low - so what's the solution/trigger? We know the GPS is not the limiting factor. What else could be triggering the "car in motion" on the unit?
Old 04-22-2021, 08:07 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad85
Frank,
My sound works fine. I just can't get past the message saying my car is moving, when it's not...
Originally Posted by mark_mia
Brad85 - same issue - traffic safety warning and settings button does not work (or the native GPS). I don't care about the GPS - use Waze through CarPlay - but I need to be able to change the settings. It's also annoying when something brand new does not work.

I went back and forth with Porsche - and the local dealer - so many times they agreed to provide a new head unit (under warranty). I installed that new unit - much faster this time - and I get the same error message (traffic safety/motion). The odds of two faulty units are extremely low - so what's the solution/trigger? We know the GPS is not the limiting factor. What else could be triggering the "car in motion" on the unit?

Curious, did both of you pay for the GPS "Navigation Maps" option?

What years are your 996 cars?
Old 04-22-2021, 08:59 PM
mark_mia
AutoX

2005 996TT. Yes, paid for the maps SD. The GPS tracks/works in the native maps app - just don't ever plan to use it.

Very frustrating as it now appears to be something other than a defective head unit (given second unit).

Per other posts, Porsche has indicated the unit has an accelerometer to determine movement (not GPS). So why would two different units have the same exact problem in the same car - but everything else works?

Old 04-22-2021, 09:04 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

2005 996TT. Yes, paid for the maps SD. The GPS tracks/works in the native maps app - just don't ever plan to use it.

Very frustrating as it now appears to be something other than a defective head unit (given second unit).

Per other posts, Porsche has indicated the unit has an accelerometer to determine movement (not GPS). So why would two different units have the same exact problem in the same car - but everything else works?
Interesting. Did you install it or did you contract with the dealership? Everything stock (i.e. MOST fiber optice connectivity, Factory amp, etc.)?
Old 04-22-2021, 09:09 PM
mark_mia
AutoX

Everything stock. I installed it - after reading everything online determined it was plug and play with MOST 996TT. It really was an easy installation - just the ridiculous "traffic safety" warning. That alert shows when you press settings in the main menu/screen. Also, if you go into the Maps app - and try to enter anything it gives a warning that the car is in motion and you can't do anything.

I debated letting the dealer take a look but when I spoke with service it seemed clear they don't really look at these units. They (gladly) install them - but they are not really something they can troubleshoot. And as we all know, letting a dealer troubleshoot something electronic is $$$$.

At this point it's more frustrating than anything else. Everything works - it's just this warning - and that it seems to think it's in motion (all the time).

Old 04-22-2021, 09:13 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Everything stock. I installed it - after reading everything online determined it was plug and play with MOST 996TT. It really was an easy installation - just the ridiculous "traffic safety" warning. That alert shows when you press settings in the main menu/screen. Also, if you go into the Maps app - and try to enter anything it gives a warning that the car is in motion and you can't do anything.

I debated letting the dealer take a look but when I spoke with service it seemed clear they don't really look at these units. They (gladly) install them - but they are not really something they can troubleshoot. And as we all know, letting a dealer troubleshoot something electronic is $$$$.

At this point it's more frustrating than anything else. Everything works - it's just this warning - and that it seems to think it's in motion (all the time).
I know the frustration. Very annoying. One of our Volvo XC60s does it and the only difference between the two is one has factory navigation and the other does not. If I don't mess with the screen the warning screen will go off on it's own, but still very annoying. I want to shout... "I KNOW ALREADY!!!!" hahaha

I'll dig around and see if I can come up with anything. Porsche hasn't really been great about support for these units.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:27 PM
mark_mia
AutoX

Thanks ... appreciate any insights/ideas/advice. I work on cars, motorcycles, and a lot of electronics (in both).

I spoke with Porsche NA several times - no help. They just say ... your dealer can diagnose any problems (not true - but they will charge to look). Porsche corporate claims the units are not really for home installation - yet they sell them online through Porsche and through partners. They agreed it's frustrating for owners when they sell an electronic unit - but provide zero support - and expect you to pay a dealer to diagnose any problems with it (a new unit). I also tried to figure out who actually produces the unit and contact them for tech support - but the only info I found online (someone mentioned Kramer) was a dead end. If there was some way to hack/switch the warning (or deactivate the sensor in the software/firmware) I think the problem would be solved.

The mystery to me - if it is an accelerometer (hardware) in the unit, the odds of two faulty accelerometers in two different units - almost zero. It's not a GPS tracking/connectivity issue - tracks just fine in the native maps app. If it's based on some type of input - such as speed - would be really nice to know how it reads that and what to do if there is an error.

Old 05-02-2021, 02:08 AM
p73rs
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I am one of the earlier adaptor of PCCM plus. I have got it in the last summer. The set up of my car is 2004 911 Turbo (USA) with PCM 2.0/Bose/Navigation/MOST. There have been nothing but problems.

The unit itself reboots randomly (only occasionally). The unit resets the onboard computer randomly (often), like travel distance goes to zero. That is the distance in the display below the tachometer, which can be reset by pushing **** (at the upper left side of tachometer) for few seconds. The GPS clock setting does not work. There are other weird glitches, too. PCCM plus was removed, and I went back to PCM 2.0 at the end of 2020. All of the issues also went away. I was going to give it up. However, PCCM plus was installed again at the dealer at the beginning of 2021. All of the issues came back.

The dealer cannot do anything. They deferred me to PCNA. PCNA cannot do anything. PCNA tells me I need to consult the dealer. I am going back and forth between the dealer and PCNA for about five months now. Nobody wants to take care of this unit despite still under warranty. Have any of you had any issues like those I am having? I called several other dealers and checked around. My unit is possibly defective. The dealer tells me my unit is not defective. It looks like my unit is turning into a brick.

mark_mia - I totally understand what you have been through with PCNA. I am doing the same for about five months with no solutions. Just like your situation, they told me to go to the dealer, and I have been with the dealer. But, there is no help from the dealer, either. Did you indicate that you were on the second unit? I hope I can get the replacement under warranty and try the second one. It looks like your problem still exists. In my situation, PCCM plus has been removed and re-installed more than few times in the last several months. One time, the GPS antenna was not plugged in. It was simply forgotten. I still had the access to the setting menu, when the car was not moving. I did not, when the car was moving.

So, for the problem with the setting menu and the traffic safety message, this is what I know. I remember reading somewhere that PCCM plus gets the signal (whether the car is moving or not) by the hard connection. With the analog installation (non-MOST), one of the pins for one connector or something similar needs to be functioning. With MOST, the connection to CAN through the MOST control unit takes care of it.

If not the unit itself, the MOST control unit can be defective, too. In my case, the onboard computer can get reset randomly. In other cases, it can cause the setting menu and the traffic safety message. The other issues I am dealing with, like the rebooting and the GPS clock, are clearly the unit itself.

It is too bad that nobody wants to be responsible and take care of this PCCM plus, still under warranty.
Old 05-02-2021, 03:29 PM
mark_mia
AutoX

p73rs - sounds like we have the same setup/wiring in the car (mine is a 2005 996 Turbo S). The car is mostly stock (only exhaust and tune) - and no issues (low miles).

My take is they subcontracted the device build without much thought in the way of support, quality control, or ability to diagnose/repair problems. Yes, Porsche NA claims to have no liability or responsibility for the units - despite selling it through a Porsche Classics site (owned domain). They have reiterated they provide a front end for dealers to sell the unit and it's 100% up to the dealer (or where you purchased) to resolve any problems. The dealers love to install them - easy money for an install in most cars. However, if anything goes wrong after install - they claim it's not their problem. The reality is that there are no service/repair options - unless it was a really basic wiring mistake ... which would probably result in no sound as opposed to bizarre glitches like faulty safety warnings or things like you experienced.

That is strange you were locked out of settings when the GPS antenna was unplugged (and car moving). Did you also receive the "traffic safety" warning when the GPS antenna was plugged in and car moving (as the warning was intended)? You never received the safety error while parked (not moving), right? Others claimed the unit has an onboard accelerometer to trigger the warning - but that does not seem to the case/driver. Your comments on the possible role of the MOST unit are interesting - not sure how to reconcile that given same problem with two units (unless a mismatch or error specific certain models/cars).

Yes, I did manage to get the dealer to process a warranty claim (I had unit less than 30 days). I documented everything, explained I took my time and had researched the unit (and issues), and after a lot of back and forth the service manager agreed to replace it through a warranty claim (he had no advice to offer and I think he actually felt bad). End of the day, it's up to the dealer - Porsche NA does not care. I went back and forth with Porsche NA how it's a shame a brand with a great history of customer experience and loyalty takes no ownership of an electronic device that is brand new. The most frustrating part for me is that I get the same "traffic safety" warning with two different (new) units - so it's clearly something with the car/setup - but still something the manufacturer of the unit should be able to solve given this device is intended for a specific brand of cars/wiring.

At this point, my unit works with AirPlay (really just use it for music and Waze) so it's functional in practical terms. However, I have no access to settings (moving or parked) and if i ever wanted to actually use the native Maps/GPS I can't because it will not allow me to enter anything (warning that the car is in motion at all times). Insult to injury is bought the ridiculous SD card for navigation (thought I would get it to have the unit complete).

So ... I'll keep researching online and probably email Porsche back in a few months to see if they have any service/support updates. My advice is to anyone with issues is to keep emailing Porsche so they recognize this is more than 1-2 random people. At this point, dealers have no interest in working on these units with problems. I also spoke with Champion (largest dealer in US) and they said - "we have successfully installed these units ... but we do not work on them to resolve issues." Porsche NA claims they have not heard of any "issues" with the units despite me explaining to them I have spoken with several people with the "traffic safety" issue and others with various glitches in brand new units (otherwise functioning).

I'll keep checking back to see if you - or anyone else - has any updates on the units or we get a service alert from Porsche with a fix for known issues. It would be nice to have the device function as intended. If not, then I'm stuck with a device that does the primary function of music and Waze (but no access to settings).
Old 05-02-2021, 04:16 PM
Frank Edens
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I learn more I am including it in a page below. It is not updated with everything I have learned yet but I hope it helps people with the Porsche Professional Classic PCCM and Plus PCCM installation, problems and operation.

https://wakerobbin.com/porsche-class...-installation/
Old 05-02-2021, 05:44 PM
p73rs
Intermediate

p73rs - sounds like we have the same setup/wiring in the car (mine is a 2005 996 Turbo S). The car is mostly stock (only exhaust and tune) - and no issues (low miles).

My take is they subcontracted the device build without much thought in the way of support, quality control, or ability to diagnose/repair problems. Yes, Porsche NA claims to have no liability or responsibility for the units - despite selling it through a Porsche Classics site (owned domain). They have reiterated they provide a front end for dealers to sell the unit and it's 100% up to the dealer (or where you purchased) to resolve any problems. The dealers love to install them - easy money for an install in most cars. However, if anything goes wrong after install - they claim it's not their problem. The reality is that there are no service/repair options - unless it was a really basic wiring mistake ... which would probably result in no sound as opposed to bizarre glitches like faulty safety warnings or things like you experienced.

That is strange you were locked out of settings when the GPS antenna was unplugged (and car moving). Did you also receive the "traffic safety" warning when the GPS antenna was plugged in and car moving (as the warning was intended)? You never received the safety error while parked (not moving), right? Others claimed the unit has an onboard accelerometer to trigger the warning - but that does not seem to the case/driver. Your comments on the possible role of the MOST unit are interesting - not sure how to reconcile that given same problem with two units (unless a mismatch or error specific certain models/cars).

Yes. Everything in this regards worked as it was supposed to. When the car was moving, there was the safety message and no access to the settings. When the car was not moving, there was access to the setting. Only thing missing was literally the GPS reception in the navigation and the map.

I can add one more finding. In the last few days, I have driven the car without the navigation software. Obviously, all the functionalities for the navigation and the map were gone. Only the audio side works. I know you don’t have the access to the setting. But, I went to the setting and tried the GPS clock sync. It was in manual sync because the GPS sync did not work, as mentioned previously. Surprisingly, the GPS sync does not function at all without the functionality of the navigation and the map. With it, the GPS sync does something. It just puts the wrong time. So, it is possible that the audio side including the setting is independent of GPS.

I was hoping that the navigational software by “TomTom” was causing all of the issues. However, it is not the case. All of the issues, like resetting the onboard computer, still exist.

Have you tried without the navigational software (micro SD card)? I doubt that it will change anything, but it will be nice to try. Is the map working regardless?

I totally agree about the position of the dealers and PCNA. The issues with PCCM plus do not belong to either of them. Each party keeps referring me to the other party. That has been the way for the last five months. You are lucky that the replacement unit was provided under warranty. With your experience, I suspect that the replacement unit makes any difference for me, however.

It looks like the issues with our cars are related to the installations with MOST. My car is all stock, too. It could be as simple as some software update.

I just have to keep checking around, too. In my case, PCCM plus is breaking the functionality of the car itself, so I am getting closer to giving it up entirely and having an expensive brick. The worst part is it is still under warranty.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:18 PM
Frank Edens
Track Day

Navigation and maps are nice once the SD card in purchased and installed. I am really confused about how the PCCM could effect other aspects of the car. I am not familiar with the turbo but it still seems really strange. Want you to check the wiring to make sure everything is correct. If you don't have xm you should have main plug, smaller yellow plug put into the top of the plug closest to the edge, microphone, antenna, MOST to back of unit and plug that fits into MOST so both spaces are filled in the MOST and gps cord. You probably already know this but wanted to mention..
Old 05-03-2021, 03:25 AM
p73rs
Intermediate

Thanks for the comments. Anything will help.

With MOST, there are only connections to the power, the microphone, the GPS antenna, the radio antenna, and the MOST controller (analog to/from digital converter). Then, the connection from the MOST controller to the car. There is no yellow plug or equivalent. In theory, it is real plug and play.

All of the connections (plug in/connector) have been checked already. They are all secure and all the way in. Having said that, there is chance that the harness, provided in the box, from the head unit to the MOST controller can be defective. Perhaps, it is the next step.

PCM 2.0 (the OEM head unit) is integrated into the car with MOST. Here are some examples. There is no radio code. DME recognizes the individual unit. The clock in the instrument cluster is set by PCM 2.0. PCM 2.0 provides the navigation information to the onboard computer for display purpose.

If PCM 2.0 is removed (for the aftermarket radio perhaps), there will be code for it with PIWIS. In fact, PCCM plus is causing this code with PIWIS along with the other ones including the instrument cluster and the A/C unit. I am having issues with the onboard computer and the A/C unit. I am not sure if it is coincidence. Nobody (the dealer and PCNA) does not have the answer. I think this integration is the problem for the car with MOST. PCCM plus is not exactly replicating the functionality of PCM 2.0. It is an aftermarket radio anyway.

PCCM plus is one-size-fits-all, the analog installation with/without amplifier and the digital installation. In my opinion, PCCM plus should have had two editions, analog and digital. PCCM plus is trying to become the part of the car with MOST, but there are some glitches. For the analog installations, the output level needs to be changed. Still, some ballast/resistor is needed. This is my diagnostic and more like guess because nobody has the answer. But, this is the consensus around me.

If anybody has any idea, please let me know. I am probably misunderstanding something, too. My PCCM plus is turning into an expensive brick despite it is under warranty. If it is causing the internal issues only, like the GPS clock sync, it will be OK (still not acceptable but livable). Mine is breaking the functionality of the car itself. I cannot live with that. If somebody knows where to contact and raise the issues, it is a very good start. The people who decided to create PCCM plus and market it around the world need to know what is going on. PCNA and the dealer will not make the warranty repair/exchange without hearing from such people. This is my story.
Old 05-07-2021, 01:05 AM
Frank Edens
Track Day

Now I have this problem. My air conditioneer works fine when the PCCM is off. It does not work fine (does not cool properly) when the PCCM is on. When I turn it off I can hear what appears to be like a compressor turning on properly. Is there some electric power issue like the pccm pulling power form the air? Need help with this one.

Quick Reply: Installation guide of the PCCM Plus