Sponsored by:

Installation guide of the PCCM Plus

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 05:19 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,677 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by mffarrell
The location for the factory PCM 1&2 antenna was right under the middle of the front windshield where the flashing security light is located on the dash. There is a black plastic cover that pops off, and a space for the antenna. I am not sure that the PCCM + gps antenna is the same form factor as the original factory PCM antenna.
Yes, I know that. I was just curious why Mr. Duke chose a different location.
Old 10-15-2020, 03:15 PM
jcpr996
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be getting the new radio soon and have some questions. My car is a 1999 with the factory hifi option. In this case the hifi panel will have to be discarded to install the a/c panel there. Will this be a plug and play installation or are there any tips I should know about.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-20-2020, 01:39 PM
Paul Schuepp
Track Day

Thank you for this installation guide which I used to help me install my new PCCM+ in my 2000 996 replacing the old PCM system. But I am not totally successful yet. Everything is working except the sound. My old PCM did not use the brown ISO cable for the speakers so I assume my AMP is connected via the yellow blue connector cables. I did enable the CAN for AMP on and I did power off and on, but still no sound from the radio or from car play or the voice for nav. Anyone, help! thanks.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:29 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Paul Schuepp
Thank you for this installation guide which I used to help me install my new PCCM+ in my 2000 996 replacing the old PCM system. But I am not totally successful yet. Everything is working except the sound. My old PCM did not use the brown ISO cable for the speakers so I assume my AMP is connected via the yellow blue connector cables. I did enable the CAN for AMP on and I did power off and on, but still no sound from the radio or from car play or the voice for nav. Anyone, help! thanks.
I replied on your other thread with a TSB from Porsche regarding your PCM1 unit.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:12 PM
Geckos_Rule
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pete_007
Installed the PCCM Plus in my 2000 Boxster S with little to no problems. Sounds and features are a definite upgrade and shows how bad the door speakers are. I had previously upgraded the other speakers. However, after the first drive - got this message on the screen when I try to go to Settings to finish the set up and the car is NOT moving - "Traffic Safety - For safety reasons, some functions are only available when the vehicle is stationary". The unit thinks the car is moving and its not! I can't access Settings! Any idea how to resolve?

Did disconnecting the battery ever fix this for you? I'm having the same problem when trying to install, and I've tried everything it seems (including disconnecting the battery), and it still seems to think my car is moving....
Old 10-21-2020, 08:17 PM
theprf
Drifting

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Try depinning pin#1 of the black 8-pin ISO plug. This is a speedometer feed from the instrument cluster, used to auto-adjust the volume as the car drives faster. It's shown as a grey/pink wire on my wiring diagrams.
The following users liked this post:
silverlock (08-03-2022)
Old 10-21-2020, 09:11 PM
Geckos_Rule
AutoX

From what I can tell, my plug does not have that pin to begin with. Only 6 (rather than 7, as your wiring diagram seems to show) of the pins are filled.

That said, I de-pinned the grey/pink wire from the amplifier plug connector, but that didn't do anything (including after resetting the battery once more, etc.).

Any other ideas? Thanks!

-----
Pictures below to show the 8-Pin ISO plug, without any grey/pink wire:

Old 10-22-2020, 09:49 AM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule
From what I can tell, my plug does not have that pin to begin with. Only 6 (rather than 7, as your wiring diagram seems to show) of the pins are filled.

That said, I de-pinned the grey/pink wire from the amplifier plug connector, but that didn't do anything (including after resetting the battery once more, etc.).

Any other ideas? Thanks!

-----
Pictures below to show the 8-Pin ISO plug, without any grey/pink wire:

Do you have a MOST system? MY > 2002.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:38 AM
Geckos_Rule
AutoX

Nope -- My 996TT is a 2001, with PCM.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:12 AM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Nope -- My 996TT is a 2001, with PCM.
For vehicles on which PCM generation 1 (M662) is installed, the following parts are also required:

Last edited by mffarrell; 10-22-2020 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:35 AM
Geckos_Rule
AutoX

Correct. I already wired the ground line into the amplifier. I did plug in the GPS antenna as well (although I'm not exactly planning on using the Porsche GPS as opposed to Google Maps). But unless I missed something while wiring those, it didn't seem to fix the issue.

Last edited by Geckos_Rule; 10-22-2020 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:44 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Correct. I already wired the ground line into the amplifier. I did plug in the GPS antenna as well (although I'm not exactly planning on using the Porsche GPS as opposed to Google Maps). But unless I missed something while wiring those, it didn't seem to fix the issue.
Ok, so I assume you followed the Porsche technical instructions posted on the other thread? Could you please post a very clear picture of the factory cables in your system. I assume they are no different than any other PCM1 system of this era.

Here's the deal, unless we find out otherwise, you may need to plan to wire the speaker level output via the supplied connector B (brown connector) of the PCCM+ to the analog output that feeds your amplifier.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:31 PM
Geckos_Rule
AutoX

Thanks -- No clue what I did, but it somehow resolved itself. I didn't change anything, but when I went back, I got into settings and made the change. Stereo and carplay work perfectly now...

Of course, I think I killed my batter while doing it, since now the car won't turn over, and just clicks while the lights flash. Time to go jump it, and possible replace the battery too, I guess....
Old 10-22-2020, 03:48 PM
Paul Schuepp
Track Day

Smile

Originally Posted by b3freak
I replied on your other thread with a TSB from Porsche regarding your PCM1 unit.
thank you for the TSB. will let you know if the ground wire to the AMP pin 17 works... It better!!!
Old 10-26-2020, 06:35 PM
Geckos_Rule
AutoX

Thanks -- No clue what I did, but it somehow resolved itself. I didn't change anything, but when I went back, I got into settings and made the change. Stereo and carplay work perfectly now...

Of course, I think I killed my battery while doing it, since now the car won't turn over, and just clicks while the lights flash. Time to go jump it, and possible replace the battery too, I guess....
Turns out, I think something in the radio is draining the battery. It was consistently dying, even after 8 hours or so. I charged the battery up, unhooked it, and let it sit for two days -- and now it's fine. So, I think there's something causing some power draw from the PCCM+. Any ideas on what it might be? Or will I need to just pull it out, and try re-wiring everything in hopes that fixes it?
The following users liked this post:
jbxea1 (09-05-2021)

Quick Reply: Installation guide of the PCCM Plus