Sponsored by:

Installation guide of the PCCM Plus

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 01:40 PM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 16 Posts
Default PCCM+ GPS Location

Hello al. I just installed the PCCM+ in my 2003 TT with BOSE.

I've done a lot of research on how to do this installation. Thanks for all the writeup so far.
Everything went pretty smoothly with the install and here are some lessons learned though that I hope will help future installs.
  1. The microphone can be installed with a little bit of modification in the Factory original location to the Left of instruments.
    • I did not do this yet and may do it at a later date
  2. The GPS antenna actually has a proper home at the base of the windshield
    • I did not follow the instructions exactly since I did not have an angled Torx to remove the two torx bolts.
    • I ran the wire as shown in the pictures below.
  3. The USB/AUX box fits snuggly under the passenger side HVAC floor vent and the center tunnel.
So everything went smoothly and the PCCM+ works and sounds real good.
=================
Only issue now is the following...hoping someone has a solution: ==> EDIT: Solved my problem ....it was a 15amp fuse. Row C fuse 3. It controls the Central Locking/Alarm system, Power windows, interior lights, sunroof (see pics below)
  • Can't lock the door -- I hear clicking sound and the car horn beeps twice
  • Door lock switch inside the car does not activate
  • Interior lights don't turn on
  • windows do not go up.
=================

GPS Antenna that comes with the PCCM+ has a small magnet on the bottom of it. The silver flat spot is where the factory GPS Antenna sits.

The spot for the GPS Antenna is on the Dashboard at the base of the windshield where the Alarm LED blinking light is located. (cover removed)

GPS Antenna Located

GPS wire routed through security LED light hole.

I sandwiched the USB/AUX box under the passenger floor vent and the tunnel. I will route the cables between the carpet trim on the tunnel

USB/AUX box sandwiched under the passenger floor vent and the tunnel

Last edited by ducnine; 12-30-2021 at 04:54 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ducnine:
DSA5 (12-10-2023), saveferris199 (08-25-2022)
Old 12-30-2021, 02:55 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by ducnine
Hello al. I just installed the PCCM+ in my 2003 TT with BOSE.

I've done a lot of research on how to do this installation. Thanks for all the writeup so far.
Everything went pretty smoothly with the install and here are some lessons learned though that I hope will help future installs.
  1. The microphone can be installed with a little bit of modification in the Factory original location to the Left of instruments.
  2. The GPS antenna actually has a proper home at the base of the windshield
    • I did not follow the instructions exactly since I did not have an angled Torx to remove the two torx bolts.
    • I ran the wire as shown in the pictures below.
  3. The USB/AUX box fits snuggly under the passenger side HVAC floor vent and the center tunnel.
So everything went smoothly and the PCCM+ works and sounds real good.
=================
Only issue now is the following...hoping someone has a solution:
  • Can't lock the door -- I hear clicking sound and the car horn beeps twice
  • Door lock switch inside the car does not activate
  • Interior lights don't turn on
  • windows do not go up.
=================

GPS Antenna that comes with the PCCM+ has a small magnet on the bottom of it. The silver flat spot is where the factory GPS Antenna sits.

The spot for the GPS Antenna is on the Dashboard at the base of the windshield where the Alarm LED blinking light is located. (cover removed)

GPS Antenna Located

GPS wire routed through security LED light hole.

I sandwiched the USB/AUX box under the passenger floor vent and the tunnel. I will route the cables between the carpet trim on the tunnel

USB/AUX box sandwiched under the passenger floor vent and the tunnel
Were you able to remove the gps cover on the dashboard without breaking it? I placed both antennas under the passenger cowl. Any tips on how to remove the gps antenna cover?
Old 12-30-2021, 04:49 PM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mffarrell
Were you able to remove the gps cover on the dashboard without breaking it? I placed both antennas under the passenger cowl. Any tips on how to remove the gps antenna cover?
Its very easy. See pictures below.

Old 12-30-2021, 05:51 PM
Emefef
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 93 Posts

Its very easy. See pictures below.

Those are great pics, and with the combination of Step 3 and the pic of your broken bits, it looks like in step 3, "rearward" means you're pushing it back - toward the window, right? Lift and push back to remove, hook it and pull forward then push down to install.

Last edited by Emefef; 12-30-2021 at 05:53 PM. Reason: failed to recognize the great pics and instructions I was quoting...
Old 12-31-2021, 03:47 PM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Emefef
Those are great pics, and with the combination of Step 3 and the pic of your broken bits, it looks like in step 3, "rearward" means you're pushing it back - toward the window, right? Lift and push back to remove, hook it and pull forward then push down to install.
By "rearward", I mean away from the windshield, towards the back of the car
The following users liked this post:
Emefef (12-31-2021)
Old 12-31-2021, 04:09 PM
Emefef
Rennlist Member

By "rearward", I mean away from the windshield, towards the back of the car
That makes sense, thanks.
Old 12-31-2021, 04:33 PM
StefanCA
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mffarrell
It looks like we have the same OS firmware level. I purchased my PCCM in September 2020. When did you purchase yours? I am going to ask the guys that have upgraded what their OS version they are running.
quote]

Here is a photo of the OS and other module levels for the software “fix.” from a member in London. The OS is the same level as mine, but the AP is different. I am not sure that the AP is the code that fixes the problem. I think MCU designates country/continent specific location.
That is the exact same MCU, APP and OS version that I have. I bought mine in Sept 2021 from Suncoast and installed it myself.

Thanks for posting the UK thread, yeah, I also noticed that the AP version is higher there, so hopefully we'll get that fix too. I'll call Suncoast next week, see what they say or at least make them aware that many people have that issue.

Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2021, 04:41 PM
Emefef
Rennlist Member

There have been lots of critical comments about the lack of input for a camera (and the "I don't need one, I can drive" comments) and the lack of wireless carplay/AA. While there are solutions to the wireless issue, I haven't seen any real solutions to allow for a camera. I've seen thread for modifications of other PCCM versions, but not this one.
I checked with NavTool for PORSCHE, but of course they'll say there is nothing compatible with the 996. I'm wondering though, if it's compatible with other versions of the PCCM, would it work with PCCM+?
This one is supposed to add video to the factory nav on a 996:
PORSCHE 911 1999-2004 VIDEO INTERFACE, BACK-UP CAMERA INTERFACE (navtool.com)

Has anyone determined whether something like this will or will not work?
Old 01-03-2022, 09:40 AM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 169 Posts

During my self install this weekend I ran into a new problem that I haven't seen discussed here -- 'hoping some one has some thoughts on how to solve it:

2005 996, CDR23 with head unit amplification of stock Nokia speakers (no MOST). After installing the PCCM+ unit, I have the over amplification/loud volume issue, but I've ordered a CTAMPPASSTHROUGH adapter that I believe will fix it. More curiously, I get a screeching sound on unit boot-up in the rear speakers only. After that the sound plays normally through all the speakers.

I've:
  • disconnected the rear speakers to verify it's not coming out of the fronts
  • swapped the front speakers to the rear and sound remains in the rear
  • re-installed the CDR23 and the sound goes away

Has anyone seen this before, or have any thoughts on things I might try?

Here is a quick video I shot so folks can hear the sound the speakers make -- turn down your sound though!

Old 01-04-2022, 01:15 PM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Default Enable/Disable External microphone on PCCM+

New revelation today as I was reading through the PCCM+ user manual (who does that these days??).
  • PCCM+ has a built in microphone (see below)
  • You can "Enable" and "Disable" the external microphone that everyone has been installing in various locations in the car
So I did a test today to see which one sounds better. Some things to note about my situation for this test.
  • I did this with the engine running and with the engine off.
  • I have an aftermarket exhaust on the car so it is louder than stock but not unbearable.
  • I was not driving (car was in the garage)
In my test situation, while using Bluetooth and Carplay, disabling the external microphone and using the built in microphone seemed to result in clearer sound to the person I was calling.
At somepoint, I will have to check this when I am driving and with windows open/closed etc.

I believe that the way the system is PCCM+ is designed, that the external microphone may not need to be installed. So if you want to have a truly clean look without taking apart your interior, this would allow for that possibility.

Old 01-04-2022, 01:56 PM
Emefef
Rennlist Member

New revelation today as I was reading through the PCCM+ user manual (who does that these days??).
  • PCCM+ has a built in microphone (see below)
  • You can "Enable" and "Disable" the external microphone that everyone has been installing in various locations in the car
So I did a test today to see which one sounds better. Some things to note about my situation for this test.
  • I did this with the engine running and with the engine off.
  • I have an aftermarket exhaust on the car so it is louder than stock but not unbearable.
  • I was not driving (car was in the garage)
In my test situation, while using Bluetooth and Carplay, disabling the external microphone and using the built in microphone seemed to result in clearer sound to the person I was calling.
At somepoint, I will have to check this when I am driving and with windows open/closed etc.

I believe that the way the system is PCCM+ is designed, that the external microphone may not need to be installed. So if you want to have a truly clean look without taking apart your interior, this would allow for that possibility.
That's great information. Mine's a cab, so it's noisier all the time, even though much better with the hardtop. But other than the sensitivity of the microphone, I don't see why the location in the dash would be any better than on the unit itself. Maybe just above the driver or on the steering column would be more direct, but if you can get good results from the internal mic, why not use it?
Are there input level adjustments for both internal and external mics?
Old 01-04-2022, 02:53 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 108 Posts

There have been lots of critical comments about the lack of input for a camera (and the "I don't need one, I can drive" comments) and the lack of wireless carplay/AA. While there are solutions to the wireless issue, I haven't seen any real solutions to allow for a camera. I've seen thread for modifications of other PCCM versions, but not this one.
I checked with NavTool for PORSCHE, but of course they'll say there is nothing compatible with the 996. I'm wondering though, if it's compatible with other versions of the PCCM, would it work with PCCM+?
This one is supposed to add video to the factory nav on a 996:
PORSCHE 911 1999-2004 VIDEO INTERFACE, BACK-UP CAMERA INTERFACE (navtool.com)

Has anyone determined whether something like this will or will not work?
I have inquired with a few businesses that add a camera. All have said that it is not worth their while to look into adding a camera as there is not enough demand for them to make any money off of the effort for the 996. One installer familiar with the unit said it was just an android unit from China, so someone that can sniff the signals from the unit could figure out how to add a camera. That is as far as I got with info on adding a camera. I did not come across Navtool, though. Cool. Maybe if it were possible to talk to one of ther techs, they may be able to help out.

But there is only one way to find out if getting the interface module you posted will work. Someone has to be the guinea pig and try.

Last edited by jim010; 01-04-2022 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-04-2022, 04:33 PM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

That's great information. Mine's a cab, so it's noisier all the time, even though much better with the hardtop. But other than the sensitivity of the microphone, I don't see why the location in the dash would be any better than on the unit itself. Maybe just above the driver or on the steering column would be more direct, but if you can get good results from the internal mic, why not use it?
Are there input level adjustments for both internal and external mics?
I did not see any level adjustment for the mic.
The following users liked this post:
Emefef (01-05-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 10:25 PM
g8rdmd
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Wiring help please

Hi all,

I need some wiring help. Installing the PCCM+ into my 2002 Turbo with Bose. Upon pulling out the double DIN radio already in place and disconnecting the wiring harness, I noticed a loose wire (appeared to have been pulled free as it had a stripped end)--it's the red/black wire which I take it is the remote Amp activation wire. I believe that because I connected all the harnesses and no matter what, nothing triggers the amp to come on--whether I put it into CAN or AMP. Nothing. No sound except me banging my head against the steering wheel.

My fault for apparently wiggling or pulling too hard.

Does anyone know where that wire needs to go in the factory harness? I'm assuming into the black connector--but which pin is it? Any help would be sincerely appreciated. Right now I'm just kicking myself...
Old 01-08-2022, 11:10 AM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,777 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Originally Posted by g8rdmd
Hi all,
Does anyone know where that wire needs to go in the factory harness? I'm assuming into the black connector--but which pin is it? Any help would be sincerely appreciated. Right now I'm just kicking myself...
I see only one red with black stripe wire on the schematic, it's the main power wire for the entire system, and it's a heavy wire around 14ga - it goes to black plug pin#4.
If you actually meant a skinny black with red stripe wire, that one goes to the yellow plug pin #6 and it is the remote turn-on for the amp.

Quick Reply: Installation guide of the PCCM Plus