Sponsored by:

Installation guide of the PCCM Plus

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 01:31 AM
Landscraper
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank Edens
Now I have this problem. My air conditioneer works fine when the PCCM is off. It does not work fine (does not cool properly) when the PCCM is on. When I turn it off I can hear what appears to be like a compressor turning on properly. Is there some electric power issue like the pccm pulling power form the air? Need help with this one.
Interesting...
I never had that issue, but twice the interior light/central locking fuse blew when I was installing my unit.
Old 05-07-2021, 09:46 PM
keviha
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm happy to share that Rod & Jake at CAI came through for me! As a reminder, I have an 03' (MOST, Bose, CDR23 & no CD changer) and after installation I was experiencing three issues in order of importance:

1. A/C compressor would trip when PCCM Plus was powered on
2. Radio buttons would not illuminate
3. Radio would not power on / off with key

#1 was addressed when they realized the yellow square plug that was plugged into CDR23 (and had a spot to plug in on PCCM Plus) needed to be left disconnected. From what I was told, the yellow plug is an analog 12 volt turn on for the earlier cars, 97-02, both Bose and HiFi (black with red wire on the car side), data on the MOST cars 03-05, and analog low level signal (4 conductors) and ground for the 97-02 cars with HiFi package. In case of Bose, it takes high level/speaker level signal in from a separate brown speaker wire plug in radio cavity. The theory that the awesome guys at CAI think is the PCCM Plus doesn't know which car it's in, and may be throwing 12 volts into a data wire on the MOST Bus cars. The Porsche Technical Bulletin (which I gave to the guys) should likely say to not plug in the yellow square amp plug on the MOST bus cars! Once they unplugged the yellow plug the A/C compressor stopped kicking off when it was powered up.

(Note: Base stereo cars, no amp, no door woofers, they don't have the yellow square plug since they're only speaker level to the main speakers-no door woofers or factory amp)

#2 & 3 Resolved with tapping into switched accessory / illumination power. Now the radio powers up / down with key (can manually turn off as well) and the radio lights are illuminated when headlights are switched on.

I can't say enough how appreciative I am of Rod & Jake in troubleshooting and resolving my issues. I hope this post is of value to others in the future who may have similar problems.

Last edited by keviha; 05-07-2021 at 09:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by keviha:
jaketime81 (05-08-2021), joki (07-26-2023)
Old 05-08-2021, 01:25 AM
Landscraper
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts

Glad to hear you solved it! My HiFi PCM1 car is still having issues with a hum when the unit powers on and overly loud audio.
Old 05-08-2021, 01:26 AM
jaketime81
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by keviha
I'm happy to share that Rod & Jake at CAI came through for me! As a reminder, I have an 03' (MOST, Bose, CDR23 & no CD changer) and after installation I was experiencing three issues in order of importance:

#1 was addressed when they realized the yellow square plug that was plugged into CDR23 (and had a spot to plug in on PCCM Plus) needed to be left disconnected. From what I was told, the yellow plug is an analog 12 volt turn on for the earlier cars, 97-02, both Bose and HiFi (black with red wire on the car side), data on the MOST cars 03-05, and analog low level signal (4 conductors) and ground for the 97-02 cars with HiFi package. In case of Bose, it takes high level/speaker level signal in from a separate brown speaker wire plug in radio cavity. The theory that the awesome guys at CAI think is the PCCM Plus doesn't know which car it's in, and may be throwing 12 volts into a data wire on the MOST Bus cars. The Porsche Technical Bulletin (which I gave to the guys) should likely say to not plug in the yellow square amp plug on the MOST bus cars! Once they unplugged the yellow plug the A/C compressor stopped kicking off when it was powered up.

(Note: Base stereo cars, no amp, no door woofers, they don't have the yellow square plug since they're only speaker level to the main speakers-no door woofers or factory amp)

#2 & 3 Resolved with tapping into switched accessory / illumination power. Now the radio powers up / down with key (can manually turn off as well) and the radio lights are illuminated when headlights are switched on.

I can't say enough how appreciative I am of Rod & Jake in troubleshooting and resolving my issues. I hope this post is of value to others in the future who may have similar problems.
Jake here, after reading through this thread It looks like turning the Can setting on in the hidden volume settings menu might have solved the issue, generating illumination, acc and making the can wires happy in 03-05 cars, its not very clear that the two settings are can/amp, and you choose “can” for cars that have an amp, any ways, I got around this by pinning acc and illumination wires into the factory harness and leaving the yellow harness unplugged, here is are some pics of the install, I have done 2 double din classic installs this week and about 50 single din classic radio installs in 993, 964, and 996’s over the past years, and about 1000 aftermarket radio installs. Im my opinion, If you like the oem look than the classic radio is great, however the they lack the ability for adding a backup camera, wireless carplay, and sound features you would get in an aftermarket radio.

The following users liked this post:
keviha (05-08-2021)
Old 05-08-2021, 02:43 AM
Frank Edens
Track Day

You have no idea how happy you just made me. I went out and took the yellow plug out and air now works fine. I don't understand what the plug was for so not sure I'm not missing something but wow that worked. One more question is why does the PCCM not turn off like the radio when I turn the car off? The settings in the PCCM are not working. I have it set to off instead of staying on 5 minutes or longer. I have to turn it on and off.
Old 05-08-2021, 03:32 AM
jaketime81
3rd Gear

Frank, is your volume setting on Amp or can?
Old 05-08-2021, 10:37 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Originally Posted by jaketime81
Jake here, after reading through this thread It looks like turning the Can setting on in the hidden volume settings menu might have solved the issue, generating illumination, acc and making the can wires happy in 03-05 cars, its not very clear that the two settings are can/amp, and you choose “can” for cars that have an amp, any ways, I got around this by pinning acc and illumination wires into the factory harness and leaving the yellow harness unplugged, here is are some pics of the install, I have done 2 double din classic installs this week and about 50 single din classic radio installs in 993, 964, and 996’s over the past years, and about 1000 aftermarket radio installs. Im my opinion, If you like the oem look than the classic radio is great, however the they lack the ability for adding a backup camera, wireless carplay, and sound features you would get in an aftermarket radio.

Jake from Car Audio Innovations?

I just spilled my coffee.

Old 05-08-2021, 10:56 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jaketime81
By design, the "CAN" in the PCCM+ refers to CAN Bus or controlled access network. As many people know, after 2002, Porsche 996 cars began using a fiber optic system using MOST.

2002 and earlier Porsche cars, just used analog connectivity. Therefore, you'd think that would mean you should select "AMP" in the PCCM+ for analog cars with the HAES or Nokia amp in the frunk, but as many users have found, this doesn't work correctly. Why? Because in the pre-2003 cars with amplifiers, the pre-amp LINE LEVEL signal was fed to the amp via the YELLOW C1 plug. (I posted a schematic in some of my earlier posts).

Now, if you had a Porsche 996 or 986 pre-2003 car without an frunk amplifier, then selecting "AMP" on the PCCM+ works just fine for that system because SPEAKER LEVEL audio from the head unit is fed out of the socket B directly to the speakers as it did with older Becker stereo systems.

It would be good for all of the PCCM+ community to know if the Porsche PCCM+ units can output analog pre-amp audio without HIGH to LO gain conversion from the B2 plug.

Many people are complaining about noise and hum with the HI/LO (speaker level to line level) conversion cables.

In other words, it would be good to know if you can output pre-amp level analog audio to the frunk amplifiers without any aftermarket voodoo.

Old 05-08-2021, 11:46 AM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by keviha

If you set the configuration to CAN, you will not have to do a work around like you described above on MOST systems.
Old 05-08-2021, 12:57 PM
Frank Edens
Track Day

can. I have the MOST and it has two plugs. I believe I had to change volume to CAN for sound to work.
Old 05-08-2021, 02:04 PM
jaketime81
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by mffarrell
If you set the configuration to CAN, you will not have to do a work around like you described above on MOST systems.
Yeah I figured that out afterwards, it seems like it could be worded better in the the instructions and it could be called CAN 03-05 or ANALOG 97-02. since both options could have and amp or not
Old 05-08-2021, 02:34 PM
Frank Edens
Track Day

Not clear on the CAN and AMP settings. When I plugged in the cord that was in the old radio with two female pins into the MOST and set to CAN the volume worked. I don't think AMP worked but not positive.. 2004 porsche carrera 4s. I don't really understand what setting to CAN or AMP means.
Old 05-08-2021, 03:56 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Frank Edens
Not clear on the CAN and AMP settings. When I plugged in the cord that was in the old radio with two female pins into the MOST and set to CAN the volume worked. I don't think AMP worked but not positive.. 2004 porsche carrera 4s. I don't really understand what setting to CAN or AMP means.
"CAN" is short for CANbus which stands for Controlled Access Network. Porsche uses MOST via fiber optics for cars 2003 or later.

"AMP" is short for Amplifier which is noted for analog-based systems in 996 and 986 generation cars from 1997 - 2002.

At the moment, it is understood that "AMP" is referring to the PCCM+ internal amplification on pre-2003 cars that did NOT have a frunk amplifier. That is, the speakers were driven directly off the PCCM+ unit itself not with the help of a separate amplifier.
Old 05-08-2021, 05:07 PM
Celbrett
Rennlist Member

So does the MOST installation not require the yellow plug to be hooked up? I have an 03 Turbo with Bose / Most (PCM on CAN setting and yellow plug hooked in) and while I have not seen any of the A/C or volume problems, my trip odometer randomly resets I noticed I have faults when I run a quick scan on the Foxwell tool, 1. A/C System - CAN signal error PCM & 2. Instrument cluster control system - No signal/comm PCM control unit. Aside from the odometer issue, the unit works fine with no operating issues.
Old 05-08-2021, 05:34 PM
p73rs
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Celbrett
So does the MOST installation not require the yellow plug to be hooked up? I have an 03 Turbo with Bose / Most (PCM on CAN setting and yellow plug hooked in) and while I have not seen any of the A/C or volume problems, my trip odometer randomly resets I noticed I have faults when I run a quick scan on the Foxwell tool, 1. A/C System - CAN signal error PCM & 2. Instrument cluster control system - No signal/comm PCM control unit. Aside from the odometer issue, the unit works fine with no operating issues.
I have the same problem. Also, there is a problem with the illumination of the A/C unit display (... and several others). Interestingly, my car produces the same faults for the A/C system and the instrument cluster with PIWIS.

It sounds like pulling the yellow connector fixes those problems. But, all of the other functionality through CAN bus may also be lost, too. Some examples can be no clock sync between the instrument cluster and PCCM plus, no illumination for the push buttons on PCCM plus with headlight on (the white or amber light in the buttons) and so on.

Hopefully, somebody knows what is going on. I am just lost.

Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Installation guide of the PCCM Plus