Installation guide of the PCCM Plus

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 07:28 PM
Get Er Done
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traffic safety motion help please

Originally Posted by mark_mia
Brad85 - same issue - traffic safety warning and settings button does not work (or the native GPS). I don't care about the GPS - use Waze through CarPlay - but I need to be able to change the settings. It's also annoying when something brand new does not work.

I went back and forth with Porsche - and the local dealer - so many times they agreed to provide a new head unit (under warranty). I installed that new unit - much faster this time - and I get the same error message (traffic safety/motion). The odds of two faulty units are extremely low - so what's the solution/trigger? We know the GPS is not the limiting factor. What else could be triggering the "car in motion" on the unit?

hello. My name is nick. I have spent about 4 days on the net and I see a lot of people have the same problem but I haven’t seen a real answer to resolve the issue. When I go to the secret settings it says something g to the effect that the car is in motion and I can’t go any further. If somebody actually has an answer to this I would so so so greatly appreciate that help lol o get past this. My email is no722685@icloud.com. I’m so desperate right now because I’ve got a nice looking beautiful radio but no sound. If anyone knows please help. Thanks so much.
nick
Old 09-05-2021, 07:35 PM
Get Er Done
3rd Gear

Default Hello. Where can I get that face plate with the two holes for the usb and the access

Originally Posted by victory423
I love that little face plate where can I get one?? Please help if you can. Would be greatly appreciated.

nick

Hello. Can you help me with where I can buy that bottom face plate. Thanks
Old 11-06-2021, 04:52 PM
StefanCA
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks a lot guys for all the information here! All this helped my install the PCCM+ in my 996 04 turbo with PCM2 and MOST. I removed the CD player and put the MOST loop in there, needed to cut off a bit on the white antenna plug to get the one from the car fit on it. The only pain is that you need to get the plastic frame out and install the radio in that frame (the PCM2 had 4 screws on the side to get it out without removing the frame). Otherwise it was just plug-n-play and it sounds better than the previous bluetooth module I had looped into the MOST bus, and having car play is just awesome!
Old 11-07-2021, 04:29 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by StefanCA
Thanks a lot guys for all the information here! All this helped my install the PCCM+ in my 996 04 turbo with PCM2 and MOST. I removed the CD player and put the MOST loop in there, needed to cut off a bit on the white antenna plug to get the one from the car fit on it. The only pain is that you need to get the plastic frame out and install the radio in that frame (the PCM2 had 4 screws on the side to get it out without removing the frame). Otherwise it was just plug-n-play and it sounds better than the previous bluetooth module I had looped into the MOST bus, and having car play is just awesome!
I hope you received a newer version of the PCCM Plus, otherwise watch your trip odometer for random resets, due to a bug in the OS that randomly sends a signal to the OBC to reset the odometer. Very frustrating.
Old 11-10-2021, 04:23 PM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts

I contacted Sound in motion to get an estimate on the batwing with USB in it their response:

​​​​​​We just need you to send us your factory panel and USB hub. It requires 4 hours of labor at $125/hr, $25 in materials, plus shipping.

Let me know. Thanks

$525 plus shipping!!!!!! and we provide the parts!
Old 11-11-2021, 04:16 AM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 964 Posts

I think sound in motion has too much work you should take your business to someone who wants it efff him
any computer repair shop can do this for you for a under a hundred anytime
Old 11-11-2021, 08:56 AM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by NYPOWR4
I think sound in motion has too much work you should take your business to someone who wants it efff him
any computer repair shop can do this for you for a under a hundred anytime
Yeah of course! I would never and would be shocked at anyone who would. I just was curious at how much they would charge but that price even surprised me!
Old 11-13-2021, 11:15 AM
lost27
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Hi/Lo passthrough for US folks

It looks like the CTAMPPASSTHROUGH adapter for folks running into volume issues on the non-Bose, non-MOST stereos with the OEM amp is only available in the UK (thought it sounds like they do ship to the US).

I'm thinking a bit out loud here but it seems that one *could* piece together a hi/lo pass converter using the following (it will be a little more DIY and bulky than the CTAMPPASSTHROUGH):
  1. Brown ISO speaker wiring adapter with male and female ends like this:
    Amazon Amazon
  2. 4 Channel Hi/Lo converter like this:
    Amazon Amazon
    This particular one has adjustable gain
  3. 4 RCA to speaker wire adapters like this:
    Amazon Amazon
To assemble:
  1. Cut the ISO speaker wiring adapter in half so the male and female ends are separate
  2. Wire the male part of the ISO adapter to the Hi/Lo converter wire harness. This should convert the output from the PCCM+ to RCA output as if an aftermarket amp was going to be installed
  3. Wire the female part of the ISO adapter to the RCA speaker wire adapters paying attention to keeping the Left Front, Left Rear, Right Front, Right Rear in mind.
  4. Plug the RCA plugs into the appropriate Left Front, Left Rear, Right Front, Right Rear outputs on the Hi/Lo converter
Crude diagram:

PCCM+ --> Male ISO Adapter --> Hi/Lo converter --> RCA to speaker wire adapter --> Female ISO Adapter --> OEM Amp
The following users liked this post:
user 8298308 (11-13-2021)
Old 11-16-2021, 04:07 PM
Landscraper
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts

@lost27 - Do you have a PCM 1.0? In response to your other post/thread - You can source the CTAMPPASSTHROUGH from Enfig in the US, but that adapter did not fix my issues.

The custom adapter from discount car stereo worked very well to allow me to bring down the overall volume output. It DID NOT fix the hum, which was not affected by turning the gain up/down. The part they sent me was a custom version of this: https://www.discountcarstereo.com/aih-conti.html with a gain/adjustment - The custom adapter allowed me to maintain all of my stock wiring/plugs.

I also tried installing some ground loop isolators to help with the hum and alternator whine but they had no effect. I suspect the source has something to do with the grounding at the AMP and the additional pin/ground modification Porsche has you do with the install.

Old 11-16-2021, 05:52 PM
sfapsey
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a 2003 C4S with CDR23 and Bose with MOST. No CD changer. I would like to upgrade to the PCCM which will require moving the climate control. I have two questions. 1 - the the PCCM plug and play in my system order than the mechanical modification to make the double din fit where my CDR23 is. 2 - I dont think this will upgrade the sound from the system since the speaker are driven by the amp. Would replacing the speaker improve significantly or do i also need to upgrade the Bose amp?
Old 11-16-2021, 06:04 PM
lost27
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Landscraper
@lost27 - Do you have a PCM 1.0? In response to your other post/thread - You can source the CTAMPPASSTHROUGH from Enfig in the US, but that adapter did not fix my issues.

The custom adapter from discount car stereo worked very well to allow me to bring down the overall volume output. It DID NOT fix the hum, which was not affected by turning the gain up/down. The part they sent me was a custom version of this: https://www.discountcarstereo.com/aih-conti.html with a gain/adjustment - The custom adapter allowed me to maintain all of my stock wiring/plugs.

I also tried installing some ground loop isolators to help with the hum and alternator whine but they had no effect. I suspect the source has something to do with the grounding at the AMP and the additional pin/ground modification Porsche has you do with the install.
Thanks for the response @Landscraper , to answer your question, I do not believe that I have a PCM 1.0. Based on what I can find on the internet, I think that I have the HiFi radio that is non-Bose. I believe that this system is the single DIN Becker CDR-220 headunit with the Nokia DSP amp.

How did you connect the custom Hi/Lo coverter? You wouldn't happen to have any pictures or a crude diagram would you?
Old 11-19-2021, 09:12 PM
lost27
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Closing the loop on my PCCM+ install more details and pictures here: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...l#post17796337

Details about the stereo that was in the car:
2001 996TT
CDR-220 headunit
Non-Bose HiFi stereo with Nokia DSP (This post has some detail on it: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...l#post16590606)
OEM amplifier

For the most part, the tech said that it was a straight forward install. There was a small box that that I guess was the Nokia DSP that was tucked up behind the dash from what I could only assume was a previous install. The tech said that without that unit plugged in, there was no sound coming out of the speakers from the PCCM+. The tech left the DSP plugged in and tucked behind the dash where it was found.

I was worried about the volume/gain and hissing issues that others in the PCCM+ install thread noted so I was mentally prepared to have to order more parts to address those issues. I was pleasantly surprised that when I started testing it out in the dealer lot, there was no hissing or alternator wine, nor was there any issue with the volume/gain. I was able to turn the volume up to 19 and it sounded much much better than the previous stereo that was there.

The Android Auto was very simple to set up and I tested out the hands free calling which sounded great (voice on the other end sounded good from what I'm told). I did play with the EQ settings a bit and turned the Loudness button on the radio off to get the sound where I liked.
Old 11-20-2021, 12:48 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by sfapsey
I have a 2003 C4S with CDR23 and Bose with MOST. No CD changer. I would like to upgrade to the PCCM which will require moving the climate control. I have two questions. 1 - the the PCCM plug and play in my system order than the mechanical modification to make the double din fit where my CDR23 is. 2 - I dont think this will upgrade the sound from the system since the speaker are driven by the amp. Would replacing the speaker improve significantly or do i also need to upgrade the Bose amp?
I have the exact same car and did the PCCM+ install last month.It's truly plug and play. Moving the climate control is very easy. Just make sure you have all the parts including the new upper storage cubby to replace the CD storage unit. Here's the complete list:

- PCCM+ (for 2003 996 C4S, Bose CDR-23 MOST) 996-642-591-00c

-Navigation Maps 996-642-502-00C (only if you intend to use the TomTom Porsche maps occasionally vs. Waze, Maps, etc in CarPlay)

- Retaining bar 996-552-653-04

- Front support frame 996-552-231-1201C

-Front A/C panel frame 996-552-339-0001C

-Two screws PAF008933

-Upper storage tray 996 552 253 01 01C

I also added the Sirius XM tuner module (ordered from Amazon):
SiriusXM SXV300 Connect Vehicle Tuner for Satellite Radio - Plugs right in and fully compatible with the Tuner touchscreen of PCCM+

I took me about 4 hours to install and a lot of the time was spent removing the old Motorola Bluetooth phone kit I had put in 15 years ago.

Don't replace your speakers until you've listened to the sound with the new PCCM+. I'm impressed with how much better the audio is; not an expert but I'm assuming the pre-amp in it is a lot better than in the CDR23.

​​​​​​​

Last edited by pongobaz; 11-20-2021 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:12 PM
HelmetHead
1st Gear

Originally Posted by p73rs
Thanks for this. This is very good information, and it makes sense.

By removing the yellow connector, PCCM plus was removed from CAN bus. PCCM plus was causing the problems, so the cause was isolated. The two cases of A/C blowing hot air were resolved. I suspect that the onboard computer resetting problems stops, too, because there was nothing wrong with the car prior to PCCM plus. The point is that all of the broken functionality of the car is restored.

The other side of the story is the functionality within PCCM plus. Again, some of the functionality within PCCM plus should be gone, like the automatic turn on/off, the day/night mode, the light in the buttons, and so on. This is because the car and PCCM plus are no longer communicating each other without CAN bus connection. These are still faults in terms of the user experience, but they are different from the faults in the car.

In fact, for the case at CAI with the A/C problem, the accessory power was tapped for the automatic turn on/off. The illumination was tapped for the lighting.

The audio signal is still connected by MOST controller. The power is hooked up. So, the audio function and the navigation should still work.

I think this is design flaw. The real fix probably requires software/firmware update, if not the re-design. The dealers and Porsche Cars North America do not acknowledge any problems. According to the dealer, mine is not defective.

It is all theory, but it is holding up so far. I hope someone who knows what is going on will provide us answers and solutions soon.
I've read through this entire Thread which was very helpful when installing a PCCM Plus in a clients 2003 Boxster with PR:680 Bose amp/HiFi/MOST. I also had zero sound until I unplugged the yellow plug but with the yellow plug disconnected as noted in other posts, the PCCM plus will not power on/off with ignition. Does anyone have a work-around that would allow the yellow plug to remain plugged in (perhaps with one of the wires unpinned) so the system will power on/off with ignition?
Old 12-13-2021, 09:53 PM
d_ess
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys, I have a 2003 Turbo with factory PCM 2.0 - I’m not sure of the terms entirely but I believe I have MOST? I have a CD changer and Bose. My shop just installed the PCCM+ in my car. I haven’t picked it up yet but they are saying that the PCCM does not turn off with the ignition switch. In other words, they remove the key, the radio stays on. They also turned off the “Standby” feature that keeps the radio on for a bit after ignition off. This doesn’t help.

Any thoughts? Many thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Installation guide of the PCCM Plus