996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Installation guide of the PCCM Plus

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2023, 08:20 PM
Chong Lee
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am still struggling to mount the metal bracket securely against the plastic frame. I pressed the metal tab against the frame and tightened the screws. It is secure, but radio will shift with some pressure. How did you secure the metal tabs? As of now, it is sitting on top of the plastic
Here's a picture of the side.
Old 10-11-2023, 11:11 PM
Joseph77
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chong Lee
I am still struggling to mount the metal bracket securely against the plastic frame. I pressed the metal tab against the frame and tightened the screws. It is secure, but radio will shift with some pressure. How did you secure the metal tabs? As of now, it is sitting on top of the plastic
Here's a picture of the side.
Hi mate,

I did mIne in a really strange way, I basically used two equally sized pieces of plastic to fill the gap and secured them with thick double sided tape

Kind regards
The following users liked this post:
Chong Lee (10-12-2023)
Old 10-12-2023, 09:54 AM
Chong Lee
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Joseph77
Hi mate,

I did mIne in a really strange way, I basically used two equally sized pieces of plastic to fill the gap and secured them with thick double sided tape

Kind regards
Thanks @Joseph77
Old 12-29-2023, 12:37 PM
nicholsvt
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bobthejob
@Landscraper

I'm in exactly the same situation, with a 2001 TT, PCM1, DSP - the PCCM+ works well....apart from a hum and over amplified audio.

I bought the connects2 cable, only to discover it's useless as my car only uses the black connector block - not the brown.

Hopefully you have some miracle solution by now?

Thanks!

@bobthejob Do you still have the connect2 cable? I assume it is the https://connects2.com/Product/Produc...MPPASSTHROUGH? If so, I'd be willing to buy it. I have installed the PCCM+ in a 997.1 and have been chasing a gain / white noise issue. I'm willing to try anything at this point. Did you resolve your issue? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-02-2024, 02:04 PM
Mikael Jerzy
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Porsche installation guide.

I can't remember how or where I got this but I found it invaluable when I installed PCCM+ in MY 2000 with PCM1, standard sound system and CD changer in frunk.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
pccm_plus.pdf (1.75 MB, 98 views)
Old 02-08-2024, 09:19 AM
22porter
8th Gear

Quick question here - if you have the standard Becker radio, no amp, no cd changer (ie non-MOST) do you even need to install the MOST box with optical loop for the PCCM+ install? I have a 99 996 Cab with the basic radio option, Becker tape deck, four speakers - no amp, no Bose.

Last edited by 22porter; 02-08-2024 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-10-2024, 09:15 AM
22porter
8th Gear

Originally Posted by 22porter
Quick question here - if you have the standard Becker radio, no amp, no cd changer (ie non-MOST) do you even need to install the MOST box with optical loop for the PCCM+ install? I have a 99 996 Cab with the basic radio option, Becker tape deck, four speakers - no amp, no Bose.
Well figured it out, it is a NO on setting up the MOST box! All good working great!!!
Old 03-09-2024, 02:46 PM
JustFanatical
1st Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a camera with the 6-pin connector that works on a 997 but does not work on my 996 Turbo with PCCM Plus. I've been trying to figure this out (off and on as I have time) and have come up with a couple of thoughts. Hardware wise (inputs/outputs), the 996 PCCM+ looks identical to the 997 PCCM+. Since the reverse camera input is there already, I'm thinking:
1) There could be a way to enable the input in the base OS. I've gotten down to the underlying Android system through developer options but I'm not sure if something like that would reside in the kernel or firmware?
2) If it is software based, then there could be a way to install the 997 PCCM Plus software over the 996 software. I'm not sure if there are protections from ripping it but maybe it could be cloned from a 997, then installed on the 996. I've no idea where to find the software for it in the wild that could be installed onto the unit.

If anyone in here is super Android savvy and can chime in with some thoughts, it'd be greatly appreciated!

The following 2 users liked this post by JustFanatical:
Armitage (03-11-2024), G8rJimbo (03-09-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 02:03 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,770 Likes on 903 Posts

If the 996 PCCM+ unit has the same connectors on the back as the 997 unit then I believe there might be a software limitation in place. In the hidden dev menu in the radio, there is a function on the 997 unit to detect and search for a connected camera. Once you enable it, it will ask you to put the car in reverse. I went to check for the same option on my 996 unit and it was not there.

I'd be careful with installing a 997 PCCM+ software/firmware on the 996 unit, assuming you can actually get the file. Getting the latest file for the 996 unit that fixes some of the small bugs, including the trip odometer reset has been next to impossible, sadly. The hidden dev menu has a button to perform a firmware update.
Old 04-04-2024, 09:20 PM
DSA5
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 996 TTS and leaning towards installing the classic radio. Hoping someone can help answer some basic questions.

1) do both USB inputs connect to CarPlay? Or only the left one? If so, is the right USB only for charging?

2) if you put the box in the cubby (like Porsche suggests), is there enough room to also put your phone? Fully?, without risk of the phone falling out?

3) where are people putting the mic & gps antenna? I’ve heard it’s possible to connect these to preexisting mic / antenna so that it looks fully built-in? Is that easy? Standard?

thank you!
Old 04-07-2024, 01:12 PM
Armitage
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Only one USB is for CarPlay, the second one is for charging and pendrives (I've never used it, as I keep my music files on the SD card, but I'm pretty sure that's what an "USB" option when you choose "media" input on the radio is for).

I've put the box behind the center console, near passenger feet - fits perfectly under the air vent (I used the velcro tape to avoid drilling etc). It's basically invisible and the cubby can be used for anything else

I have the GPS antenna installed somewhere (dunno where - I wasn't installing it myself, but I'm pretty sure the old ones are not compatible) and the mic on the steering column - doesn't bother me at all.
Old 04-07-2024, 06:18 PM
DSA5
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

thanks for the reply.

I keep flip-flopping so hard on PCCM vs aftermarket.
Old 04-08-2024, 10:41 AM
Armitage
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

DAB+ instead of SiriusXM module I guess
Old 04-08-2024, 03:04 PM
PUZZ1
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm in the same boat flip flopping between PCCM+ and aftermarket as well. What's frustrating is that Porsche Classic just threw this thing out on the market and it seems like there are lots of issues related to install and also operation. And they are not likely incentivized to make any improvements.

Quick Reply: Installation guide of the PCCM Plus