Sponsored by:

Installation guide of the PCCM Plus

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2022, 10:05 PM
g8rdmd
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theprf
I see only one red with black stripe wire on the schematic, it's the main power wire for the entire system, and it's a heavy wire around 14ga - it goes to black plug pin#4.
If you actually meant a skinny black with red stripe wire, that one goes to the yellow plug pin #6 and it is the remote turn-on for the amp.
That's the one, the skinny black and red stripe wire. Can I just splice this into a 12V switched wire to get power to the amp?
Old 01-09-2022, 11:29 AM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,777 Likes on 1,132 Posts

I think it would be preferable to connect it back to where it belongs. If that is not possible then it would probably be OK to connect it to switched +12v.
The following users liked this post:
g8rdmd (01-09-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 04:05 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Emefef
There have been lots of critical comments about the lack of input for a camera (and the "I don't need one, I can drive" comments) and the lack of wireless carplay/AA. While there are solutions to the wireless issue, I haven't seen any real solutions to allow for a camera. I've seen thread for modifications of other PCCM versions, but not this one.
I checked with NavTool for PORSCHE, but of course they'll say there is nothing compatible with the 996. I'm wondering though, if it's compatible with other versions of the PCCM, would it work with PCCM+?
This one is supposed to add video to the factory nav on a 996:
PORSCHE 911 1999-2004 VIDEO INTERFACE, BACK-UP CAMERA INTERFACE (navtool.com)

Has anyone determined whether something like this will or will not work?
I did manage to talk to NavTool sales. All they said was that they are aware of the PCCM+, but do not do any work on these units. This doesn't mean that their module won't work, but this is all I got from them.
Old 01-11-2022, 04:14 PM
Emefef
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by jim010
I did manage to talk to NavTool sales. All they said was that they are aware of the PCCM+, but do not do any work on these units. This doesn't mean that their module won't work, but this is all I got from them.
Thanks Jim, that's what I expected.
Old 01-11-2022, 11:16 PM
nevek89
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I looked into some of the Android Auto Screen Mirroring software and there's probably a way to get the backup cam to work through this.

The idea is you'd have a dedicated android device, jailbroken, that would allow you to watch Netflix, Youtube, etc on your PCCM+. Then if you've gone that far, it can't be much more work to get a wireless rear camera wired to some trunk source to display on the android. You'd want the android device either having it's own 4G data connection, or you could use a phone hotspot to bridge the camera and the dedicated android phone.

There's probably enough support on the XDA dev site to write software that would interface with the signal from the reverse lights.

There's no major technical reason why this can't be done, especially as screen mirroring on android auto is already a thing.
jim010 (01-12-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 01:09 AM
Ivanhoe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mffarrell
The location for the factory PCM 1&2 antenna was right under the middle of the front windshield where the flashing security light is located on the dash. There is a black plastic cover that pops off, and a space for the antenna. I am not sure that the PCCM + gps antenna is the same form factor as the original factory PCM antenna.
Anyone know if the OEM GPS antenna is comparable to the new one supplied with the PCCM Plus? The wire harness looks similar, and I read on another forum that the build quality of the OEM is better, but I am not sure if almost 20 years later... did they change? Id rather keep the OEM GPS antenna in its place instead of replacing with the newly supplied. Thanks,
Old 03-04-2022, 01:23 AM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Ivanhoe
Anyone know if the OEM GPS antenna is comparable to the new one supplied with the PCCM Plus? The wire harness looks similar, and I read on another forum that the build quality of the OEM is better, but I am not sure if almost 20 years later... did they change? Id rather keep the OEM GPS antenna in its place instead of replacing with the newly supplied. Thanks,
Your current OEM antenna will work, no need to change it.
Ivanhoe (03-05-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 10:18 PM
Ivanhoe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by e4603
The FM antenna plugs right in. The existing antenna side is black, the PCCM+ side is white. The adaptor is for a 3.5mm type plug.
I don't have the factory CD player, but I have an iPod adaptor. All I did was unplug my 2004 Apple iPod.
Is the beige/tan fakra plug diversity antenna? Where does it go in the back of pccm plus?
Sorry to all, I looked everywhere.

Last edited by Ivanhoe; 03-05-2022 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-15-2022, 12:46 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 571 Likes on 340 Posts

are there not 996 fitment android pcms as they do for the 997/cayman?

to potentially support a reverse camera, BOTH the rear camera input pin(s) IN ADDITION to a reverse trigger input pin (assuming no direct canBus reverse input) would have to be exposed on the rear pin-input of the pccm+ wire harness. Since this feature isnt offically even supported there is a chance that the pin signals arent at the back.

now since this unit is officially a nice looking, re-Skinned Chinese android deck. - in theory the unit could be opened up by an android deck pro, and potentially a rear camera input adapter (and reverse trigger input) could be somehow mounted directly to the motherboard itself. but this is alot of internal fiddling + pose some risk for this very expensive re-Skinned android unit.

knowing all these facts, would it not be easier, simpler + cheaper to just get a 996 fitment android pcm with rear camera support?

Originally Posted by nevek89
I looked into some of the Android Auto Screen Mirroring software and there's probably a way to get the backup cam to work through this.

The idea is you'd have a dedicated android device, jailbroken, that would allow you to watch Netflix, Youtube, etc on your PCCM+. Then if you've gone that far, it can't be much more work to get a wireless rear camera wired to some trunk source to display on the android. You'd want the android device either having it's own 4G data connection, or you could use a phone hotspot to bridge the camera and the dedicated android phone.

There's probably enough support on the XDA dev site to write software that would interface with the signal from the reverse lights.

There's no major technical reason why this can't be done, especially as screen mirroring on android auto is already a thing.
Originally Posted by jim010
I have inquired with a few businesses that add a camera. All have said that it is not worth their while to look into adding a camera as there is not enough demand for them to make any money off of the effort for the 996. One installer familiar with the unit said it was just an android unit from China, so someone that can sniff the signals from the unit could figure out how to add a camera. That is as far as I got with info on adding a camera. I did not come across Navtool, though. Cool. Maybe if it were possible to talk to one of ther techs, they may be able to help out.

But there is only one way to find out if getting the interface module you posted will work. Someone has to be the guinea pig and try.
Old 03-15-2022, 06:50 PM
Emefef
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by myw

knowing all these facts, would it not be easier, simpler + cheaper to just get a 996 fitment android pcm with rear camera support?
Yes, unless you have MOST. Then nothing is as simple, and the costs add up too.
Old 04-02-2022, 12:45 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 571 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Emefef
Yes, unless you have MOST. Then nothing is as simple, and the costs add up too.
hmm, maybe 997 is alot simpler - but i just use the analog to mostHur adapter for 90$ for my android deck. u do lose the front->back fade controls so it just becomes a stereox2 setup (front + rear channels play the same). sounds great - if not better then before.
Old 05-13-2022, 05:57 AM
BogdanT
3rd Gear

Later edit: all ok, kind of an user error ... I had a USB stick plugged in (which PCCM didn't recognise)... As soon as I removed it everything worked

Just installed PCCM+ on my '99 C2 (w/ frunk amp, no DSP, no CD-changer) - everything went smooth except Carplay/Android Auto. Both of them are stuck in a connect/disconnect loop. Plug in - both phone and PCCM recognise the device then immediately disconnects, re-connects and cycles like this indefinitely.

Has anyone experienced this issue before?

Last edited by BogdanT; 05-13-2022 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-16-2022, 06:24 AM
BogdanT
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by b3freak
It would be good for all of the PCCM+ community to know if the Porsche PCCM+ units can output analog pre-amp audio without HIGH to LO gain conversion from the B2 plug.

Many people are complaining about noise and hum with the HI/LO (speaker level to line level) conversion cables.

In other words, it would be good to know if you can output pre-amp level analog audio to the frunk amplifiers without any aftermarket voodoo.
Chipping in to describe my findings:
- It looks like PCCM+ does output (1) line-level signals out of the yellow "C" connector + (2) speaker-level signals from the brown "B" connector. My assumption is that it outputs both simultaneously.
- my car came with the factory frunk amp M490 option, and only had the A & C connectors (no brown one).
- as I did an aftermarket setup I also tested the outputs from the yellow C connector and they are 100% line-level
Old 07-04-2022, 11:39 AM
kilsoj
AutoX

Hi

currently have a 2003 turbo with Bose and most

installed the pccm no sound

pulled the fibre optic at the CD player to check and no red light shining through cable

this point think I have messed fibre cable

so pull out pccm and pop pcm back in

works straight away

check fibre optics at cd changer again and red light

back to the head units - on pcm the fibre optic light in on in a constant state

when I plug the pccm back up the fibre optic light from the control unit is cycling

one second on about 30 seconds off when it is on for that one second I get sound for the first cycle after has been installed

What have I done wrong?

the fact that it is regularly cycling makes me think it is something I have done or not done or is the control unit faulty?

is there a setting somewhere to turn MOST on constantly?

any suggestions please?
Old 07-04-2022, 12:24 PM
bobthejob
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@kilsoj The fibre at the CD player should be disconnected and "MOST bridge" from PCCM+ should be connected there.

Also, make sure that the system is set to CAN and not AMP.
kilsoj (07-04-2022)

Quick Reply: Installation guide of the PCCM Plus