Sponsored by:

UAOS install/tips/tricks

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 12:24 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,562 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Originally Posted by plpete84
Skip - a bunch of orders should be rolling in any day now! Feel free to use this as a reference point to sent to your customers that may be doing this as a DIY. I've always been a visual person and learn best by seeing and doing so having something like this is extremely valuable to me.
Thanks , I will !! The AOS problem of killing m96 engines has been way overshadowed by the IMS issue, anything that can encourage owners to upgrade will help the platform.

Unfortunately the majority of 996 owners are not DIY'ers like you and a few others here. If someone "asks" if it's a DIY procedure , I usually say" no " given the difficulty many have had in doing the install and it's usually over something simple that a Pro would instinctively know how to overcome. So my rule on advice is, "if you have to ask, then the answer is it should be done by a Pro".

But with your detailed "DIY'er point of view" on the procedure it may very well be doable for even the Novice DIY'er,,We'll see as more people do the install !!

My opinion is every M/96 should have the IMS Solution and the UAOS installed , period.

Last edited by Porschetech3; 05-04-2021 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:25 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

The high mileage /Extreme Track Duty Auto Drain kits are now available as I have secured enough of the parts to offer these on the website.,@ www.ultimateaos.com ..The full kit with NEW Genuine Porsche oil fill tube pre-fitted with fitting/hose is $175, and the parts kit without the new oil fill tube is $75.

These are suggested to be used on the upgraded Aluminium Accumulators only. ( the Carbon Fiber filled/Nylon Accumulators have been discontinued)..

These are available on the website , if you have any problem seeing them, update/refresh your browser using the refresh button in the upper left next to the arrows. They will be located on the front page just scroll down..

Showing the Banjo Bolt Accumulator Drain kit with NEW oil fill tube $175

Chrome Banjo Bolt and Banjo fitting Nylon seals

Showing view of Pressure fitting to NEW oil fill tube (145psi rating)

Full Auto Drain kit without oil fill tube $75 /Chrome Banjo Bolt and Banjo Fitting / 3/8 NBR oil resistant rubber hose / 145psi rubber seal to oil fill tube / spring clamps

Showing view of Accumulator with drain attached
The following 2 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
yaz996 (06-19-2021), zbomb (06-19-2021)
Old 07-02-2021, 12:14 AM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 103 Posts

Boxster and 911 AOSs look identical except no small water lines to the Boxster model and which costs less.

If they are identical except for water lines which are not needed, could we install the simpler model in our 911s?

Old 07-02-2021, 01:40 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996.2
Boxster and 911 AOSs look identical except no small water lines to the Boxster model and which costs less.

If they are identical except for water lines which are not needed, could we install the simpler model in our 911s?

They are indeed identical, and when using the UAOS Coolant Delete Kit either one can be used.
The following users liked this post:
plpete84 (07-02-2021)
Old 07-02-2021, 10:37 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,768 Likes on 902 Posts

That's a great catch! My UAOS is still going strong and 0 issues with the coolant delete since my install. Went for a rip yesterday and checked the manometer values. Got -3.55inH2O. I finally modified my oil cap for the blow-by test at idle so hope to do that soon. It's a bit tight in there but I now also have the correct plugs for the TB line to be blocked off. Skip, I assume this should be done at operating temp as well, correct?
Old 07-02-2021, 05:35 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by plpete84
That's a great catch! My UAOS is still going strong and 0 issues with the coolant delete since my install. Went for a rip yesterday and checked the manometer values. Got -3.55inH2O. I finally modified my oil cap for the blow-by test at idle so hope to do that soon. It's a bit tight in there but I now also have the correct plugs for the TB line to be blocked off. Skip, I assume this should be done at operating temp as well, correct?
The blow-by will be worst cold and best when at operating temperature. To evaluate and compare values the operating temp value should be used .

The idle value using the .110 orifice and the WOT value using the .221 orifice are both important values. The WOT value using the .221 orifice is most important if Track Duty is to be used.

Old 07-29-2021, 11:28 PM
Red998
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Awesome photos. I’m in process of this same job. I see you have 1 reservoir vacuum located on the left engine bay. I’m not sure why I have another one separate on the right engine bay connected to the resonance flap piece.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:37 PM
jdbornem
Pro

Received 493 Likes on 253 Posts

The second vacuum reservoir on the right side goes to the Porsche Sport Exhaust (optional). It pulls vacuum from a check valve near the resonance flap, to the reservoir, through a solenoid (PSE button) and out to both PSE flaps on the mufflers.
If you don't have PSE, then you would only have the one on the left.
Old 07-30-2021, 08:30 PM
Jnelso
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy
Wrapped up the install of the UAOS this weekend. The car is a 99 C2, according the Skip, the tightest of the installs due to the throttle cable on the 1999.

Not doing a full write-up. just some detailed pictures with some descriptions. I swapped out the AOS. The Pelican article is the best. In the write-up, there are a few pictures of where that stupid sixth bolt is. As a reminder, unbolt the AOS and pull it away, that will allow access. The picture below is the original AOS after the manifold has been removed.

This is the new AOS with the modified pipe from the UAOS. At this stage, do not bolt it back up to the block, you want it loose so you can get the manifold back on.

The manifold back in. Make sure to install the rear plenum at the same time as you put the manifold back on. It is impossible to install it after the manifold is installed (I've installed three AOSs, and have made this mistake twice).

Below are a couple pictures of how to get to that 6th bolt. The first one you can see a 4" extension on the bolt. The second, you can see where the hole is through the manifold. I use a telescoping magnet to get the bolt into the hole, and you can reach around the other side to push it down.

The rest are a bunch of pictures of the rest of the install. Not 100% sure I have all of the routing of the purge valve and one of the coolant lines exactly correct, but it appears to work.

All in all, this went really well and I am very impressed with the kit. Right down to the kit including the security torx bit needed. A couple of notes, especially for the 99. Attach the regulator to the throttle body first. You will need a pair of hose clamp pliers. Keep the clamp all the way at the end of the tube with it expanded, and insert the regulator, the release the clamp. I don't think it would be possible to get inserted correctly if it was already attached to the other side. The rest of it requires a little pushing adjusting and cursing to get everything in place, but I do think it would be 100X easier if it was not a 99.

The Douche Carrera is ready to ride again. Thanks Skip.

Kris,

I finally got around to install my UAOS kit on my 99 throttle cable car and was looking at your great write up and photos for your installation of the UOAS. I noticed that your air cleaner snorkel boot on the deck lid is missing. Did you simply remove it due ti interference from the brake booster vacuum hose? Was wondering because the snorkel doesn’t line up very well with the boot on my installation.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:00 PM
Geoff.T
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 53 Posts

I installed the Auto drain tube last weekend. I opted to try to reuse my oil fill tube. I got it out without issue but when I tried to drill it to add the grommet, the tube shattered. Lol. So for anyone thinking they should try to reuse their drain tube, better have a new one on stand by. My car is way more fun now with the peace of mind that any oil now recirculates back to the sump.
The following users liked this post:
zbomb (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 09:06 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,285 Likes on 1,808 Posts

I ran my oil at the 3/4 of capacity with no smoke and no oil consumption at the track yesterday... If you're tracking the car - do the drain back 100%

The best engine mod I've done - and it's not even close.

My fill tube only had like 6 months of use, so no worries on my install but knowing how brittle the one I replaced was, Geoff is giving some sound advice above.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:13 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Jnelso
Kris,

I finally got around to install my UAOS kit on my 99 throttle cable car and was looking at your great write up and photos for your installation of the UOAS. I noticed that your air cleaner snorkel boot on the deck lid is missing. Did you simply remove it due ti interference from the brake booster vacuum hose? Was wondering because the snorkel doesn’t line up very well with the boot on my installation.
Actually, my boot has never fit well (it's an aero kit car) and has never stayed attached to the aero kit wing, so it was not removed due to the UAOS.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:14 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by zbomb
I ran my oil at the 3/4 of capacity with no smoke and no oil consumption at the track yesterday... If you're tracking the car - do the drain back 100%

The best engine mod I've done - and it's not even close.

My fill tube only had like 6 months of use, so no worries on my install but knowing how brittle the one I replaced was, Geoff is giving some sound advice above.
ZBOMB. I took the chance and ran full oil with the drain back at The Glen two weeks ago and no issues at all. Another buddy who I also installed the UAOS on did the same and all was good.

The following 3 users liked this post by Kris Murphy:
golock911 (07-31-2021), Porschetech3 (07-31-2021), zbomb (07-31-2021)
Old 07-31-2021, 02:46 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy
ZBOMB. I took the chance and ran full oil with the drain back at The Glen two weeks ago and no issues at all. Another buddy who I also installed the UAOS on did the same and all was good.
The improvements to the UAOS system (most notably the Track Drain) has allowed for the oil level to be ran at original factory designed oil level (or possible higher).

There were three UAOS systems with Track Drain at Watkins Glen last weekend (soon to be more), this is proof of the performance of the UAOS system along with Zbombs data.

There are two different dipsticks used in the M96/7 engines and are 99610701454 ( used in 996.1 and 2002 996.2 up to engine 662 11796) and 99610701455 (used in 996.2 2002 up engines 662 11797 >) . The later "55" dipstick can be identified by the two tabs on the side ( see pic below) and is 1/2 liter shorter. This was done by Porsche to help stop smoking in corners on the Track due to AOS deficiencies. The UAOS system with Track Drain eliminates these deficiencies so this lower oil level is not necessary

original "54" dipstick

1/2 liter shorter "55" dipstick ,note the ears on the side

For cars with the "55" dipstick the electronic dash gauge was also updated to a lower lever with new software to match the shorter dipstick..I would suggest that cars with the "55" dipstick change to the "54" dipstick and run at the full mark. This will give much more stable oil pressures in the corners.

Old 07-31-2021, 03:49 PM
jdbornem
Pro

Received 493 Likes on 253 Posts

This is huge. I had no idea. So with the 55 dipstick on my 2004, at half, I'm running at the low hash on the original recommended 54 dipstick?

Am I correct that originally, running at half was recommended because otherwise the car would burn oil and smoke, due to oil being oulled through the AOS into the intake. That also risks hydrolock (well, oil-lock).

So, with the UAOS, we should be able to run full, as oil will be captured in the reservoir. However, without the new drainback, it may fill quickly. Correct?

Last, how does the UAOS drainback affect crankcase pressure? I thought the AOS diaphragm maintained the difference between intake and crankcase. But with the drainback, they are now direcly connected. Is that an issue? I'm not in any way saying I think it is, I only know enough to ask the question.

Quick Reply: UAOS install/tips/tricks