Sponsored by:

UAOS install/tips/tricks

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 05:49 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,734 Likes on 885 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
Once you get the AOS out, there is such a relief...then you start praying that the install is easier.
It IS easier!
Hah for sure! Just need to connect the tiny vacuum hoses correctly and let my ocd run wild cleaning up any grime and dirt as i put it together.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:08 PM
JC68
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel

I've been considering installing UAOS and IMS Solutions for people who want it done locally.
But I'm not going to be doing any for at least the next month or two.
If you decide to do it, I’ll bring my car to you. Need to do the UAOS before I take it to the track again.
The following 2 users liked this post by JC68:
Porschetech3 (04-15-2021), TexSquirrel (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 12:26 AM
sdematt
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 276 Posts

Having mine installed by my shop today!

-Matt
The following users liked this post:
Porschetech3 (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 02:36 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,457 Likes on 2,014 Posts

Many UAOS's being bought and installed, finished install pics are Welcomed !!! We all love Pics !!
Old 04-16-2021, 02:46 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,280 Likes on 1,807 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Many UAOS's being bought and installed, finished install pics are Welcomed !!! We all love Pics !!

The following 2 users liked this post by zbomb:
blacksquid (04-19-2021), TexSquirrel (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 03:51 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zbomb
Thanks for the pic Zbomb, and especially for the "shout out" in your signature !!!! W.O.M. promotion at it's finest !!

Last edited by Porschetech3; 04-16-2021 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 04:16 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Calls em like I sees them brother. No thanks needed.
The following users liked this post:
Porschetech3 (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 06:17 PM
plpete84
Drifting

All done! Not as horrible as I expected but definitely somewhat challenging. I also replaced my injectors while in there. Upon first start up with the rear still raised no gas smell or any other ones. I am however getting a rough idle. Constant up and down jumps. Giving it some gas and all sounds fine. I have a Durametric and not getting any codes at all. Anything i should look for? I'm guessing maybe an air leak somewhere? I may go out for a drive around the block to see if all is good under load. I have a DIY smoke machine i may need to bring out.

BTW, that PITA plastic pipe that goes from the lower AOS fitting and attaches on the other side of the engine near AC compressor broke in half. It's been jerry rigged together for now with gorilla tape.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:49 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Sounds like you’re going to have to bust out that smoke tester and track down a vac leak.

Old 04-16-2021, 07:04 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

The rough idle and surging is probably the Gorilla Tape leaking causing an air leak. Some Marine grade shrink tubing would make a Semi-permanent fix on that tube.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:12 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Thanks gents and I'm suspecting that as well. I may try to replace that middle section with a more flexible hose and see if that works.

I did have slight hesitation when reconnecting all the small straw like air hoses. Could these be a potential culprit if not connected properly?
Old 04-16-2021, 07:22 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by plpete84
Thanks gents and I'm suspecting that as well. I may try to replace that middle section with a more flexible hose and see if that works.

I did have slight hesitation when reconnecting all the small straw like air hoses. Could these be a potential culprit if not connected properly?
Possible, any small air leak will cause it... here is a vacuum diagram I grabbed from the "vacuum chaos" thread...

The following 3 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
PBradz (04-25-2022), plpete84 (04-17-2021), zbomb (04-16-2021)
Old 04-17-2021, 09:36 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Thanks @Porschetech3 ! You're a rock star! Seeing this diagram I'm 95% sure my vacuum lines are correct but will double check.

I went for a brief drive to pick up some power steering fluid and under load the car drove fine. Power was smooth and no CEL. The idle has come down a bit but now it tends to more smooth but idles high at about 1200RPMs so the next step is to fix that damn plastic pipe, smoke test and start racking up more miles. Looking at the part numbers, looks like my original AOS was an older part, previous revision, so if this stops my oil consumption I'll be happy as a clam.

Few random takeaways to add to this thread now that I've done this.
- hope you're good at braille because you'll be doing a lot of the work by feel. There were times when I had both hands in the engine bay working entirely by feel.
- give yourself ample space to work in and put all parts in chronological order as you take them off. It will make reassembly easy ensuring you don't skip anything.
- My new favorite tools are now a small stubby 1/4" - 3/8" ratchet with 72 teeth and wobble extensions. The made working in tight spaces so much easier being able to angle just enough to get good seat on the bolt.
- I'm very glad all my bolts were e-torx. I think getting allen head bolts would be more difficult.
- The "bitch bolt" didn't prove to be much of a challenge. I was able to get it out with a ratcheting 8mm wrench working on both sides of the intake. This also goes for getting the AOS out.
- The only PITA part and the part that I broke was the plastic pipe that connects to the lower AOS and snakes to the other side of the engine connecting near the AC compressor. At least on my X51 motor it had to be removed and we know how much old plastic likes to flex. Will need to fix or modify this to make it more durable.
- Your phone has a camera and photos speak a thousand words so snap photos of everything you remove. It's nice to reference the little things during reassembly.
- This is a very good time to replace your injectors as with the intakes out you will have plenty of room to work in.

That's all for now and I'll be sure to update once everything is buttoned up. I have a bunch of photos so I may put together a DIY.
Old 04-18-2021, 01:52 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by plpete84
Thanks @Porschetech3 ! You're a rock star! Seeing this diagram I'm 95% sure my vacuum lines are correct but will double check.

I went for a brief drive to pick up some power steering fluid and under load the car drove fine. Power was smooth and no CEL. The idle has come down a bit but now it tends to more smooth but idles high at about 1200RPMs so the next step is to fix that damn plastic pipe, smoke test and start racking up more miles. Looking at the part numbers, looks like my original AOS was an older part, previous revision, so if this stops my oil consumption I'll be happy as a clam.

Few random takeaways to add to this thread now that I've done this.
- hope you're good at braille because you'll be doing a lot of the work by feel. There were times when I had both hands in the engine bay working entirely by feel.
- give yourself ample space to work in and put all parts in chronological order as you take them off. It will make reassembly easy ensuring you don't skip anything.
- My new favorite tools are now a small stubby 1/4" - 3/8" ratchet with 72 teeth and wobble extensions. The made working in tight spaces so much easier being able to angle just enough to get good seat on the bolt.
- I'm very glad all my bolts were e-torx. I think getting allen head bolts would be more difficult.
- The "bitch bolt" didn't prove to be much of a challenge. I was able to get it out with a ratcheting 8mm wrench working on both sides of the intake. This also goes for getting the AOS out.
- The only PITA part and the part that I broke was the plastic pipe that connects to the lower AOS and snakes to the other side of the engine connecting near the AC compressor. At least on my X51 motor it had to be removed and we know how much old plastic likes to flex. Will need to fix or modify this to make it more durable.
- Your phone has a camera and photos speak a thousand words so snap photos of everything you remove. It's nice to reference the little things during reassembly.
- This is a very good time to replace your injectors as with the intakes out you will have plenty of room to work in.

That's all for now and I'll be sure to update once everything is buttoned up. I have a bunch of photos so I may put together a DIY.
Looking forward to your Pics and review !!
Old 04-18-2021, 03:11 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 978 Likes on 607 Posts

Pipete84 - Have you checked the one-way check valve to manifold? That thing can wiggle out. I had the 1200 idle going on. That was the cause. Also make sure the o-ring on throttle body side of diaphragm-to-throttle body is seated properly. Those were the two boogers I had to ‘smoke out’.

Quick Reply: UAOS install/tips/tricks