Sponsored by:

UAOS install/tips/tricks

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 09:07 PM
JohnCA58
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by nrp3
I’m sure he’ll take care of us one way or another. Ship it to us separately or tell us where to get it.
For those who don't source it themselves, Skip has them as a kit on the UAOS website.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:14 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,564 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Y'all who have already ordered the UAOS-coolant by-pass kit and wondered why I haven't shipped it yet, I seen another part I wanted to include. Part #16 in the diagram on some cars is a plastic connector/splice, I ordered a batch of brass replacements and just got them to include in the kit, along with another clamp. IF you have an updated hose that piece is "MADE-IN" and cannot be changed out, but if you still have the original design, replace it with the brass one included in the kit...

Installing the UAOS-coolant by-pass kit will eliminate a lot of unnecessary coolant failure points...

re-vised UAOS - coolant by-pass kit deleted parts

This by-pass kit eliminates a lot of unnecessary coolant failure points.

Last edited by Porschetech3; 03-26-2021 at 12:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
kwright997 (03-26-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 01:32 AM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 245 Posts

Skip

I just wanted to reach out and say thank you for shipping my new UAOS to my Porsche Tech's place.
It saved a lot of time.
It is all installed and works great.
He was very impressed with the design and may have a customer with a 2002 Cabriolet interested in getting one.
Your design and instructions were great, you both being Porsche Gold Techs made things easy.
plpete84 (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 10:28 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
Skip

I just wanted to reach out and say thank you for shipping my new UAOS to my Porsche Tech's place.
It saved a lot of time.
It is all installed and works great.
He was very impressed with the design and may have a customer with a 2002 Cabriolet interested in getting one.
Your design and instructions were great, you both being Porsche Gold Techs made things easy.
Thanks David, glad you are pleased with the UAOS, it;s been needed for two decades on 996 cars. I can tell you really appreciate your 996.

Anyone who doesn't have he UAOS and the IMS Solution shouldn't spend a dime on nice wheels/tires, brake/suspension upgrades ect, untill those are installed, it's just foolish. If your not going to use the best designs (ie the IMSS and the UAOS) then don't buy Michelin tires, get Sumotomo or Kumho, don't buy Ohlins, get stock Bilsteins, ect. The engine should be first priority unless you just got deep pockets and don't care. Just my .02

Glad your Tech was impressed, that means so much to me, they are the ones who see these cars day in and day out, and know what they need.They see all the failures and do all the repairs.The 996 owners don't know what they don't know, But the Tech will remember the UAOS after he has seen it, and will recommend it to other 996 owners when the subject comes up.
The following 3 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
NYoutftr (03-31-2021), Optionman1 (03-30-2021), plpete84 (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 10:49 AM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,147 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Waiting for my UAOS to arrive, then it will be installed along with new bosch injectors from LN, a new 997 GT3 shifter, new front bumper lip, and a new passenger side skirt. UOA and DT-40 change as well.
Porschetech3 (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 10:51 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Thanks David, glad you are pleased with the UAOS, it;s been needed for two decades on 996 cars. I can tell you really appreciate your 996.

Anyone who doesn't have he UAOS and the IMS Solution shouldn't spend a dime on nice wheels/tires, brake/suspension upgrades ect, untill those are installed, it's just foolish. If your not going to use the best designs (ie the IMSS and the UAOS) then don't buy Michelin tires, get Sumotomo or Kumho, don't buy Ohlins, get stock Bilsteins, ect. The engine should be first priority unless you just got deep pockets and don't care. Just my .02

Glad your Tech was impressed, that means so much to me, they are the ones who see these cars day in and day out, and know what they need.They see all the failures and do all the repairs.The 996 owners don't know what they don't know, But the Tech will remember the UAOS after he has seen it, and will recommend it to other 996 owners when the subject comes up.
Wise words indeed!
The following 2 users liked this post by 808Bill:
NYoutftr (03-31-2021), Porschetech3 (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 11:20 AM
diddy2003
Rennlist Member

Received 352 Likes on 165 Posts

Thanks again Skip. Finally getting close to finishing up my winter project. The UAOS was very impressive. I’m very happy to have it on the car. Sorry for the delay. We ended up doing more to the 911 than I would have expected. I also ended up buying the Ronin car. Always liked them and it just popped up. I don’t think I have that coolant bypass? But your UAOS seems to be on and functioning perfectly.

Coolant tank is empty in the picture. Added a center radiator, LN low temp thermostat, and new water pump while we were at it. Added the RSS mounts too.

Last edited by diddy2003; 03-30-2021 at 11:22 AM.
Porschetech3 (03-30-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 12:59 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

For those asking if the UAOS coolant by-pass kit can be installed "after the fact", without a lot of fuss, the answer is Yes it can.

Just install the kit and leave the unnecessary/disconnected parts in place or near by for a more opportune time to completely remove.( or leave them indefinitely)
Old 04-15-2021, 03:35 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,768 Likes on 902 Posts

I started the install this morning and it's going pretty well overall. I have the 40 Anniversary car so some things were slightly different but nothing big. Got the last bolt without any issues and having all bolts be e torx made it easier actually. 8mm ratcheting wrench worked perfectly.

Where I'm stuck now is on actually getting the old AOS out. On a 996.2, any tips on disconnecting the lower rubber hose? Super tight space and I'm not sure on how to get this off. The lower plastic hose that needs to be squeezed is also a PITA right now.

Going to get some food and will come back to this...
Old 04-15-2021, 05:03 PM
nrp3
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

Taking a break is never a bad thing. I get bitchy when hangry. Now that my taxes are done and the immediate fear has past. There always seem to be some mid year surprises... Is the plastic housing version likely available anytime soon? Forgive my frugality. And trust me, I understand the whole backorder thing. My generator lead times are abysmal at the moment. If unknown, the aluminum will be fine too.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:11 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,410 Likes on 1,278 Posts

Originally Posted by plpete84

Where I'm stuck now is on actually getting the old AOS out. On a 996.2, any tips on disconnecting the lower rubber hose? Super tight space and I'm not sure on how to get this off.
I used a pair of cheap Dollar Tree pliers that I'd cut a notch in with a Dremel.(I posted a pictures in this thread way back when)
It's my go-to tool for small spring clamps.
The larger ones get the specialty tools. (Pictures also posted somewhere in this thread)

The lower plastic hose that needs to be squeezed is also a PITA right now.
That was the most difficult part to me.
I got one of these to try using next time I install a UAOS:
https://lnengineering.com/products/p...86-models.html

I've been considering installing UAOS and IMS Solutions for people who want it done locally.
But I'm not going to be doing any for at least the next month or two.

Last edited by TexSquirrel; 04-15-2021 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:11 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by plpete84
I started the install this morning and it's going pretty well overall. I have the 40 Anniversary car so some things were slightly different but nothing big. Got the last bolt without any issues and having all bolts be e torx made it easier actually. 8mm ratcheting wrench worked perfectly.

Where I'm stuck now is on actually getting the old AOS out. On a 996.2, any tips on disconnecting the lower rubber hose? Super tight space and I'm not sure on how to get this off. The lower plastic hose that needs to be squeezed is also a PITA right now.

Going to get some food and will come back to this...
This LN Engineering tool or equivalent will help tremendously on removing the "quick connects"..when you can't get big hands in there

The bottom drain hose and clamp are accessed from the bottom, remove the "spring clamp" and twist the hose to break the seal then pull off.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:23 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
This LN Engineering tool or equivalent will help tremendously on removing the "quick connects"..when you can't get big hands in there https://youtu.be/g0OwJNnLS4I

The bottom drain hose and clamp are accessed from the bottom, remove the "spring clamp" and twist the hose to break the seal then pull off.
Ah, good to know my purchase will help my next UAOS install.
I have small hands, but they're attached to t-rex...err...squirrel length arms.

Last edited by TexSquirrel; 04-15-2021 at 05:42 PM.
zbomb (04-15-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 05:38 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,768 Likes on 902 Posts

Thanks gents. After a quick break i summoned all the strength in my fingers and with two hands in there i squeezed and wiggled at the same time until the bastard budged. Not sure if this is unique to the X51 car but that plastic pipe that runs from one end to the other was a PITA.

To get the clamp off I ended up moving the AOS around until i was able to pull it out completely. At that point i was able to twist it a bit and use medium angled pliers to slide that clamp down. Then just twist and pull up. The f**ker is out.

Now onto coolant line delete. I'll probably leave the plastic connector in place for now and cap it at the top. It looked very good. At some point I may cap it at the motor but even though the caps are high heat rated I feel better about having it slightly higher and not behind the belt.

While here I'll probably pop in new injectors. Following Pelican Parts guide and I'm seeing things somewhat different. Again, probably X51 differences. Fuel line hook up to the rail is different. Easy enough to figure out....i think hah.

Thanks for chiming in. Taking a bunch of photos along the way and will try to put together a DIY
Old 04-15-2021, 05:41 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Once you get the AOS out, there is such a relief...then you start praying that the install is easier.
It IS easier!

Quick Reply: UAOS install/tips/tricks