Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996 today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 10:27 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,768 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by greengear
Installed a cheap yet practical radio head unit.
The quality is lacking in many areas but it has a functional apple carplay /android auto and fits in the existing radio enclosure without any modifications. I know the hvac controls can be move downward but I have a lower console delete kit installed and like the extra space for my leg to stretch out.
Sub $100 radio link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0B1P...b_b_asin_title

This actually doesn't look too terrible AND it has a volume ****! Kudos for trying it and let us know how it works out. I wonder if it could be wired into a stock Bose system with the stock amp. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for that and a CDR-23 radio? For less than $90 might be worth a try and return back to Amazon if it doesn't workout.
The following users liked this post:
imhighlander (10-31-2022)
Old 10-26-2022, 11:15 AM
greengear
AutoX

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by plpete84
This actually doesn't look too terrible AND it has a volume ****! Kudos for trying it and let us know how it works out. I wonder if it could be wired into a stock Bose system with the stock amp. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for that and a CDR-23 radio? For less than $90 might be worth a try and return back to Amazon if it doesn't workout.
it has 2 rca pre amp outs allowing it to be wired directly to 2 996 Bose amp channels (2 speakers only). I ordered this adapter (link) and will report back. If it works as expected the cheap deck will operate all 4 speakers via the stock Bose 996 amp system. Another issue is the lack of a remote amp turn on wire in the little radio. I solved that by wiring the amp turn on to the switched power wire. I found another little box that may work better than my solution here as well.
The 4 speakers not just 2 box arrives this next week so I’ll check on that first.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0796RJ2PR?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

Last edited by greengear; 10-26-2022 at 11:18 AM.
plpete84 (10-26-2022)
Old 10-26-2022, 02:44 PM
peterp
Drifting

Received 737 Likes on 446 Posts

it has 2 rca pre amp outs allowing it to be wired directly to 2 996 Bose amp channels (2 speakers only). I ordered this adapter (link) and will report back. If it works as expected the cheap deck will operate all 4 speakers via the stock Bose 996 amp system. Another issue is the lack of a remote amp turn on wire in the little radio. I solved that by wiring the amp turn on to the switched power wire. I found another little box that may work better than my solution here as well.
The 4 speakers not just 2 box arrives this next week so I’ll check on that first.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0796...b_b_prod_image
I haven't seen the bose amp inputs, but assuming there is another pair of RCA's, it seems like you could use a pair RCA splitters from radio output to feed the Bose inputs. You wouldn't have "fader" control, but it doesn't seem like you have that anyway and I've always found fader = 0 to be best with the stock amp.

Old 10-26-2022, 04:35 PM
greengear
AutoX

Originally Posted by peterp
I haven't seen the bose amp inputs, but assuming there is another pair of RCA's, it seems like you could use a pair RCA splitters from radio output to feed the Bose inputs. You wouldn't have "fader" control, but it doesn't seem like you have that anyway and I've always found fader = 0 to be best with the stock amp.

this adapter is installed for this or any aftermarket deck. The adapter has the rca plugs.

peterp (10-26-2022)
Old 10-26-2022, 09:39 PM
greengear
AutoX

I grabbed an rca cable as pictured above and it works. Of course the rear speakers are playing an identical sound track to the front ( maybe this is normal) and not independently adjustable. In essence you loose the fader function.
after a day of driving here are my thoughts
​​​​​​- apple carplay works , I dictated no less than 10 text messages and it worked as expected, transitioning back to Spotify after each text was sent.
- the screen froze when I lost reception and I had to hit the home button to get the frozen call in progress screen to clear.
- this thing is supper cheap and kind of crappy.
- it fits in the dash without any modifications at all.
- for what I need and want it works and was under $100
- if a higher quality single din apple car play unit is introduced in the future I will probably upgrade
- it looks similar to the unit Porsche markets for classic 911’s

The following 5 users liked this post by greengear:
fazm (05-31-2023), gnargusto (10-27-2022), lgyee4 (10-27-2022), peterp (10-27-2022), plpete84 (10-27-2022)
Old 10-26-2022, 10:54 PM
pulpo
Pro

Received 369 Likes on 211 Posts

Finally got around to changing the gear oil in the transmission and front differential.

Managed to spill about half a liter or more of the $30 per liter porsche gear oil and now I have the pleasure of the worst smell ever stuck in my garage and nose.

Good times!
wdb (10-27-2022)
Old 10-26-2022, 11:55 PM
Projekt EPiK
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I haven't driven my 3/98 Carrera 2 with just under 215k in about 2 months because of a radiator leak on the right side. The core swelled out and corroded I found out when I removed it. I ordered a right and left replacement along with all the associated hoses, from an online parts house, picking the Mahle/Clevite brand radiator for cost effectiveness vs quality. Imagine my complete surprise when I received the first part of the order today, and this Mahle radiator has the OEM Behr end tanks on it and the quality looks excellent. Very happy with that purchase at $165 each.
Today I installed the right radiator and new inlet and return hoses. Plus I'm about halfway thru straightening all the flattened fins in the AC condensor before I put the scoop back on. Hopefully the rest shows up tomorrow.

Next project is the engine, chain guides, timing chains, tensioners..etc. Does anyone have a complete OEM parts list from doing this or similar job? I'm strictly DIY and I want to have it all in stock here before I get started. Much obliged if you can help out. Got to get this old girl back out prowling around again.

Last edited by Projekt EPiK; 10-26-2022 at 11:57 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Projekt EPiK:
damage98MO (10-27-2022), James_03C4S (10-28-2022), peterp (10-27-2022), pulpo (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 12:40 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,764 Likes on 2,155 Posts

Originally Posted by Projekt EPiK
I haven't driven my 3/98 Carrera 2 with just under 215k in about 2 months because of a radiator leak on the right side. The core swelled out and corroded I found out when I removed it. I ordered a right and left replacement along with all the associated hoses, from an online parts house, picking the Mahle/Clevite brand radiator for cost effectiveness vs quality. Imagine my complete surprise when I received the first part of the order today, and this Mahle radiator has the OEM Behr end tanks on it and the quality looks excellent. Very happy with that purchase at $165 each.
Today I installed the right radiator and new inlet and return hoses. Plus I'm about halfway thru straightening all the flattened fins in the AC condensor before I put the scoop back on. Hopefully the rest shows up tomorrow.

Next project is the engine, chain guides, timing chains, tensioners..etc. Does anyone have a complete OEM parts list from doing this or similar job? I'm strictly DIY and I want to have it all in stock here before I get started. Much obliged if you can help out. Got to get this old girl back out prowling around again.

215k miles...

Love to hear the story of your 996. Congrats!
The following 3 users liked this post by GC996:
James_03C4S (10-28-2022), Projekt EPiK (10-27-2022), pulpo (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 03:29 AM
peterp
Drifting

I grabbed an rca cable as pictured above and it works. Of course the rear speakers are playing an identical sound track to the front ( maybe this is normal) and not independently adjustable. In essence you loose the fader function.
Front having identical audio as rear is normal. You definitely do lose fader control, but I've experimented with front/rear fader balance and always keep coming back to even balance sounding best, so I don't think it's much of a loss in practice.
greengear (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 12:22 PM
greengear
AutoX

Front having identical audio as rear is normal. You definitely do lose fader control, but I've experimented with front/rear fader balance and always keep coming back to even balance sounding best, so I don't think it's much of a loss in practice.
Well after another day of driving around with this new radio I can say I don’t recommend it. It is disappointing because the interface and size seem perfect for the car. All the functionality works but it is too feeble to handle switching between inputs or a few things happening at once without freezing up.
I will keep it installed because I really use the apple CarPlay every day and don’t want a double din unit taking over the dash of my sports car. I’m guessing something better or an improved version of this radio will be available someday soon.
imhighlander (10-31-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 12:56 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Two days ago I started the 996.2 to take it for a drive after a week of sitting due to bad weather. Heard the whirring sound of low power steering fluid. So I added fluid and after a good drive the sound went away. Wish I recorded it for you guys. Didn't think about it at the time.

Next day I checked the level of power steering fluid as well as for leaks and all was good.

So I started the car and heard a high pitched whine coming from the driver's side next to the engine. Popped the lid and heard my SAI making a little noise. Attached is the recording of the sound for those that have an interest.

While I have refreshed many parts on my car over the past 20 years, I never replaced the SAI. Looks to be about time. Easy enough to do, just looking for the best pricing.

The following 2 users liked this post by GC996:
damage98MO (10-27-2022), Porschetech3 (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 03:41 PM
peterp
Drifting

Well after another day of driving around with this new radio I can say I don’t recommend it. It is disappointing because the interface and size seem perfect for the car. All the functionality works but it is too feeble to handle switching between inputs or a few things happening at once without freezing up.
I will keep it installed because I really use the apple CarPlay every day and don’t want a double din unit taking over the dash of my sports car. I’m guessing something better or an improved version of this radio will be available someday soon.
It's definitely an interesting device and thanks for giving us the play-by-play. Have you checked to see if there are any firmware updates for the unit? If not, a lot of times the firmware is out of date by the time it sits in stock and is sold, especially if it's a recently introduced device.

There are single-DIN radios that have pop-out displays when you turn on the radio, but I absolutely hate those. I remember when we ordered our Q5, the best audio option available was a Bang & Olfsen system that had a screen that popped out of the dash when you start the car -- to me it was the most pointless thing ever -- it looks great when it's parked, but then it looked like you had an aftermarket screen tacked on whenever you are in the car .
Old 10-27-2022, 07:10 PM
Boff
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 109 Posts

Hopefully, an actually reputable electronics company will adopt this form factor.
Old 10-27-2022, 10:34 PM
Projekt EPiK
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GC996
Two days ago I started the 996.2 to take it for a drive after a week of sitting due to bad weather. Heard the whirring sound of low power steering fluid. So I added fluid and after a good drive the sound went away. Wish I recorded it for you guys. Didn't think about it at the time.

Next day I checked the level of power steering fluid as well as for leaks and all was good.

So I started the car and heard a high pitched whine coming from the driver's side next to the engine. Popped the lid and heard my SAI making a little noise. Attached is the recording of the sound for those that have an interest.

While I have refreshed many parts on my car over the past 20 years, I never replaced the SAI. Looks to be about time. Easy enough to do, just looking for the best pricing.

https://vimeo.com/764610107
I've replaced the SAI once already. I pulled the old one apart, pretty simple, cleaned it, lubricated the bearing and put it back together. I installed it back in the car just to check it out and it worked just like the new one again. I pulled it back off and put it on the shelf as a back up.
GC996 (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 11:16 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Projekt EPiK
I've replaced the SAI once already. I pulled the old one apart, pretty simple, cleaned it, lubricated the bearing and put it back together. I installed it back in the car just to check it out and it worked just like the new one again. I pulled it back off and put it on the shelf as a back up.
Appreciate the thoughts. I was thinking the same thing.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996 today?