What did you do to your 996 today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 09:40 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 468 Posts
Default That was an awesome day

Originally Posted by NYPOWR4
Hung out with cool ZBOMB! And watched him install my new to me Ohlins R/T suspension damn that boy is talented

Mike I would have cooked some meats for you and Jason. Off course I would have also provided some beverages. Awesome way to spend a day. Let me know how it rides now.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3/98 911 coupe:
C2-996 (05-19-2022), EVOMMM (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 10:48 AM
BReif61
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 25 Posts

Add me to the list of people happy that their GT3 console arrived. I was worried that the black would clash against the gray carpet, but it just disappears into the shadows under the dash.

The following users liked this post:
damage98MO (05-18-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 10:55 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,152 Likes on 989 Posts

Originally Posted by BReif61
Add me to the list of people happy that their GT3 console arrived. I was worried that the black would clash against the gray carpet, but it just disappears into the shadows under the dash.
Looks great brother. The BFI shift **** and boot looks perfect with it.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheChunkNorris:
C2-996 (05-19-2022), damage98MO (05-18-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 11:24 AM
BReif61
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris
Looks great brother. The BFI shift **** and boot looks perfect with it.
Thanks, the BFI **** was definitely worth the money. Between it and the Numeric, shifts are nearly perfect.
Old 05-17-2022, 03:22 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BReif61
Thanks, the BFI **** was definitely worth the money. Between it and the Numeric, shifts are nearly perfect.
Maybe one day I'll make the switch. Love your GSP avatar btw.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:15 PM
Nate.Evans
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 78 Posts

Old up top, new on the bottom:

Replaced my mounts today…you can see how much they needed to be replaced…

Weird thing though, when I went to go jack up/support the engine, I could fit the jack and a piece of wood under there. Got in a half pump to support it before it started unweighting the suspension. Started on the passenger side and as soon as I got the nut completely loose, it started to sag. Ended up having to jack up the motor about an inch or so so that the brace was up against the body to get the nut threaded on the mount. Repeated for the driver’s side and it sagged a little, but I snugged it back up. You could tell the mounts were sagging a bit (besides visually) because now my exhaust tips are up against the bumper.

I go to lower the jack and when all the way down, the jack had to be pryed out from underneath the sump with a reasonable amount of wiggling. But, the exhaust tips were still up against the bumper whereas before there was probably almost an inch. Also, the airbox was a million times easier to get reinstalled because it lined up way better, the throttle body was also noticeably closer to the top of the engine bay.

How is it the engine and exhaust sits higher, but the sump lower???

The test drive though….those mounts must be way worse than they look cause all/any nvh is gone, it corners better, shifts better, and just rides soooo much smoother. I also don’t get any of the occasional weird noises when shutting the engine off.
The following 3 users liked this post by Nate.Evans:
AZPete (05-17-2022), damage98MO (05-18-2022), GC996 (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 12:45 AM
C2-996
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 83 Posts

Finally got around to getting my car out for the season up here in Ohio! Fresh DT40, new spin on filter and some great driving time! Next project to tackle will be my UAOS with the drainback and a fresh water pump. Tackling some age related maintenance items

The following 5 users liked this post by C2-996:
damage98MO (05-18-2022), EVOMMM (05-18-2022), GC996 (05-18-2022), TheChunkNorris (05-18-2022), wdb (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 04:32 PM
damage98MO
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by work_truck
For the price, unless they're absolute trash, I just can't bring myself to spend the money. I put PSS on my corvette and always felt like an absolute ******* for spending all that money on tires for my driving skill and use cases.

that looks awesome.

what were you shopping for though?
Made me spit my coffee...
Old 05-18-2022, 04:39 PM
damage98MO
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate.Evans
Old up top, new on the bottom:

Replaced my mounts today…you can see how much they needed to be replaced…

Weird thing though, when I went to go jack up/support the engine, I could fit the jack and a piece of wood under there. Got in a half pump to support it before it started unweighting the suspension. Started on the passenger side and as soon as I got the nut completely loose, it started to sag. Ended up having to jack up the motor about an inch or so so that the brace was up against the body to get the nut threaded on the mount. Repeated for the driver’s side and it sagged a little, but I snugged it back up. You could tell the mounts were sagging a bit (besides visually) because now my exhaust tips are up against the bumper.

I go to lower the jack and when all the way down, the jack had to be pryed out from underneath the sump with a reasonable amount of wiggling. But, the exhaust tips were still up against the bumper whereas before there was probably almost an inch. Also, the airbox was a million times easier to get reinstalled because it lined up way better, the throttle body was also noticeably closer to the top of the engine bay.

How is it the engine and exhaust sits higher, but the sump lower???

The test drive though….those mounts must be way worse than they look cause all/any nvh is gone, it corners better, shifts better, and just rides soooo much smoother. I also don’t get any of the occasional weird noises when shutting the engine off.
Did you also do the transmission mount? I had that and the engine mounts done by my indy, when he was dropping the engine anyway, and doing a whole bank vault worth of other stuff, and yeah it fixed the shifting and the NVH problems, mostly. Things did not get 'great' until I installed the function first shiftright kit, as well as changed the shifter cable ends. They were trashed. Something to keep in mind. I have not looked, but I imagine the other end of the cable, under the car, need replacing as well. The shifter configurator / alignment tool is not a must have, but it's an almost must have. The removal of the console and installation of the items was a nice diy project. Be wise, and when you go to remove the console, do it gently, inspect where there will be contact and rub where the handbrake is going to scrape the **** out of it. Then tape it. I did not, and the console has some missing paint or whatever it is. Grr. It's my driver so whatever. Also, an excuse to pull it out again and paint it meridian metallic to match the body.

Last edited by damage98MO; 05-18-2022 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-18-2022, 08:00 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by damage98MO
Did you also do the transmission mount? I had that and the engine mounts done by my indy, when he was dropping the engine anyway, and doing a whole bank vault worth of other stuff, and yeah it fixed the shifting and the NVH problems, mostly. Things did not get 'great' until I installed the function first shiftright kit, as well as changed the shifter cable ends. They were trashed. Something to keep in mind. I have not looked, but I imagine the other end of the cable, under the car, need replacing as well. The shifter configurator / alignment tool is not a must have, but it's an almost must have. The removal of the console and installation of the items was a nice diy project. Be wise, and when you go to remove the console, do it gently, inspect where there will be contact and rub where the handbrake is going to scrape the **** out of it. Then tape it. I did not, and the console has some missing paint or whatever it is. Grr. It's my driver so whatever. Also, an excuse to pull it out again and paint it meridian metallic to match the body.
Good to know about the console. Mine is carbon and I swear to god that if I scratch it… all the carbon will be redone.
Old 05-19-2022, 10:47 AM
lgyee4
Banned

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Replaced the headlight ballast. Super easy, took all of 30 minutes and I get great lighting. Thanks playwithcars!
Old 05-19-2022, 12:36 PM
996inthesix
AutoX

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lgyee4
Replaced the headlight ballast. Super easy, took all of 30 minutes and I get great lighting. Thanks playwithcars!
Curious to know the symptoms you were experiencing prior to the change? I’ve also heard that it’s not as simple as plug and play.. would like some more details if you could share?
Thanks!
Old 05-19-2022, 02:53 PM
Dalejohn
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Need some expert opinions..

Anyone done anything with this piece when detailing your car? The sun has faded it to a milky look.
Old 05-19-2022, 03:08 PM
lgyee4
Banned

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Here's my original post in regarding the ballast. And yes, it's very simple; remove light, remove bracket, disconnect the two plug ends, remove the ballast with wires, reassemble.
Old 05-19-2022, 03:18 PM
work_truck
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalejohn

Anyone done anything with this piece when detailing your car? The sun has faded it to a milky look.
I plan on removing mine and using some trim paint on it

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996 today?