996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996 today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2022, 03:22 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,764 Likes on 2,155 Posts

I just use some armor all on it after I wash it. Seems to work. Sure there is something better to use as well. It's a cheap part that you can easily replace.

Last edited by GC996; 05-19-2022 at 05:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GC996:
C2-996 (05-20-2022), Dalejohn (05-19-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 03:52 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,158 Likes on 742 Posts

I use a silicone spray on it every time I wash. I get it at Ace Hardware. Has worked for 23 years.
The following 2 users liked this post by DBJoe996:
C2-996 (05-20-2022), Dalejohn (05-19-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 06:32 PM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,198 Likes on 653 Posts

I used 'Back to Black' plastic restorer on mine. It looks great and has held up well so far, though honestly it has not been a long time or a lot of washes.
The following users liked this post:
Dalejohn (05-19-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 06:49 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,035 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalejohn

Anyone done anything with this piece when detailing your car? The sun has faded it to a milky look.
Cerakote makes a wipe on ceramic treatment that works pretty well, mask off plastic you don't want to get product on.

Amazon Amazon

Only advice is, it legit has to have zero moisture on it and remove the panel is possible... I did not and will be buying new trim because there's a couple places that picked up moisture and streaked.
peterp (05-19-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 07:38 PM
damage98MO
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 212 Posts
Default For **** ****

Originally Posted by work_truck
ordered a NOS black ebrake assembly (only $100!)

and cheap black shift boot as I try to replace all the light wood in the car.

Going to order a base black center console kit from suncoast soon to complete this.

big unknown though is the shiftknob. I'm going to check it today but I'm not sure what "style" I need to be looking for regarding a replacement.

I know its not a threaded one, so I should look for something with a set screw?

I'm having trouble finding specific information and I'm not looking to spend $200 on a basic aluminum shift **** because the application says "Porsche"
There are plenty of nice ones available. I went for the raceseng stratose in black with black alcantara and red stitching, with the shift pattern engraving. Install was a piece of cake, you need the NTA. https://raceseng.com/stratosstratose-master

Premium feeling and gorgeous. If only the rest of my car looked so good😎
Old 05-19-2022, 07:40 PM
damage98MO
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Another vote for ceracote

Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris
Cerakote makes a wipe on ceramic treatment that works pretty well, mask off plastic you don't want to get product on.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SHJVK4G...%2Bcerami&th=1

Only advice is, it legit has to have zero moisture on it and remove the panel is possible... I did not and will be buying new trim because there's a couple places that picked up moisture and streaked.
Mines holding up nicely, and it was gray.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:15 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 333 Posts

Replaced my rear view mirror that I had mangled when trying to troubleshoot a stealth installed V1 display problem. I replaced it with a plain manual day/night mirror from eBay (from Prussianmotors, I highly recommend them). I elected to remove the wires which were no longer used. That added some complexity to the job. I'm leaving the V1 hidden behind the back seats for now as it seems to work okay there. With the original setup there were addition sensors attached to the windshield, but I don't believe they're still connected. The Gen 2 V-1 can display on a cellphone so that's what I'll use going forward.
Old 05-19-2022, 09:26 PM
Gregs04.5
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Anyone done anything with this piece when detailing your car? The sun has faded it to a milky look.
Try the trim restore product from Cerakote, worked wonders on mine, and did not have to remove it.
Old 05-19-2022, 09:42 PM
evoroadster
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

2003 Carrera Coupe; replaced wonky oil pressure sending unit. Almost stress cracked my wrist trying to break it loose.
Old 05-19-2022, 10:37 PM
peterp
Drifting

Received 737 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SHJVK4G...%2Bcerami&th=1

Thanks for the warning about Cerakote streaking. I read the reviews on Amazon -- seems like when it works, it is amazing, but if it doesn't work it is impossible to remove. I've been tempted to try this stuff for a while, but probably am not going to.

I would try Forever Black dye (
Amazon Amazon
). It's a very thin dye that will cover the color back to black if it will stick to the Cerakote. The dye is very different from paint, which goes on thick, this just goes on super-thin and colors the surface. You can top it with 303 or anything after dying.
Old 05-20-2022, 12:32 AM
996inthesix
AutoX

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I use Renapur, it’s incredible, also Chemical Guys Silk Shine works great.
Boss_Angeles (06-15-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 03:59 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 675 Likes on 467 Posts
Default It costed more to me.

Originally Posted by damage98MO
Made me spit my coffee...
i had Turkey 101 in my cup. 😝 😝

😝 🤣
Old 05-20-2022, 07:33 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,035 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp
Thanks for the warning about Cerakote streaking. I read the reviews on Amazon -- seems like when it works, it is amazing, but if it doesn't work it is impossible to remove. I've been tempted to try this stuff for a while, but probably am not going to.

I would try Forever Black dye (https://www.amazon.com/Forever-Bumpe...ps%2C78&sr=8-3). It's a very thin dye that will cover the color back to black if it will stick to the Cerakote. The dye is very different from paint, which goes on thick, this just goes on super-thin and colors the surface. You can top it with 303 or anything after dying.
That stuff has been around for a while and it's a proven product, you shouldn't have any issues but you can run the risk of bleeding the dye when you add a protectant on it. It's not the end of the world I'm pretty sure you can get consistent results. The Cerakote streaking is caused by moisture and sometimes heat, only complaint is their pre-moistened pads are a little small so use a pad per surface. Example being the cowl would use an individual pad, the battery cover it's own pad and etc. It's an absolute pain to get off and if I did it again, I'd remove the windshield wiper and cowl to apply the product... it will come out perfect that way.

Unrelated to the cowl, do you guys use tire dressing? I don't like the plastic Tonka truck look so I clean my tires every time I wash and apply Scrubbing Bubbles to the tire once dry... it gives them the matte black sheen you'd get when the tires are new. I did find this that I'm going try this from Aero Cosmetics, the pilots on this forum might recognize it:

Amazon Amazon
Old 05-20-2022, 07:47 AM
Manny_911
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Replaced mine.

Though there are good products out there, doesn’t beat “new”. Full disclosure - broken tab top passenger side, no brainer.
Old 05-20-2022, 08:02 AM
Nate.Evans
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by damage98MO
Did you also do the transmission mount? I had that and the engine mounts done by my indy, when he was dropping the engine anyway, and doing a whole bank vault worth of other stuff, and yeah it fixed the shifting and the NVH problems, mostly. Things did not get 'great' until I installed the function first shiftright kit, as well as changed the shifter cable ends. They were trashed. Something to keep in mind. I have not looked, but I imagine the other end of the cable, under the car, need replacing as well. The shifter configurator / alignment tool is not a must have, but it's an almost must have. The removal of the console and installation of the items was a nice diy project. Be wise, and when you go to remove the console, do it gently, inspect where there will be contact and rub where the handbrake is going to scrape the **** out of it. Then tape it. I did not, and the console has some missing paint or whatever it is. Grr. It's my driver so whatever. Also, an excuse to pull it out again and paint it meridian metallic to match the body.
When I had the IMS Solution done I had them replace the transmission mount with oem…that was about 4K miles ago. The transmount was shredded. When I asked if the engine mounts were good still I was told “50/50…mostly because the trans mount was shredded, but the car doesn’t have many miles so it could go either way, but it doesn’t have any of the typical symptoms…”

So I made it a non-priority…shoulda made it a priority based on how much of an improvement was t made. My friend that works at a dealer in ATL said he recommends to his customers replacing mounts every 20k miles since it’s a “relatively cheap fix with only an hour of labor…a good bit of the time the mounts needed to be replaced and nice we see the condition they’re in even if there were no symptoms.

I’m still scratching my head though that my sump sits lower with new mounts than it did with worn ones…but the tail pipes sit higher…

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996 today?