Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

60-130 MPH: New performance measurement!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 02:30 PM
Stummel
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fast! What fuel?

Can not be to much $$$! This makes watercooled a bit more attractive.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:57 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Stummel
Fast! What fuel?

Can not be to much $$$! This makes watercooled a bit more attractive.
I'd like to see you in that thing and a tank of VPower on the autobahn -how long is it going to last at 1.5 bar

Looks like the 60-130 has been well and truly sussed, 5.93s is a fantastic time, even with two shifts its low 6s
Old 04-19-2007, 05:12 PM
Stummel
Pro

Me would like to see that too ;-)

I doubt Protomotive runs extreme boost levels, they focus on air flow it seems.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:38 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Stummel
I doubt Protomotive runs extreme boost levels, .
Its blinging true : "I was at 1.5bar, so assuming Todd's 700hp dyno run was accurate...that's what I was running."
Old 04-19-2007, 05:44 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

Stock internals is no achievement in reality other than achieving the engine itself I guess it is up to each user.

Great numbers, which up until recently we believed impossible!

Dear Stummel, nothing an aircooled car cannot achieve with 1.5 bar and most likely less than 3000lbs. Our numbers are below 1.2 Bar here and with two shifts
Old 04-20-2007, 02:24 AM
Stummel
Pro

Originally Posted by Jean
Dear Stummel, nothing an aircooled car cannot achieve with 1.5 bar and most likely less than 3000lbs. Our numbers are below 1.2 Bar here and with two shifts
Jean, I thank you very much for reminding me on that one

Why would one of the good tuners do such stuff? Customer first?

Go to Alois or Reinhold and ask them to blow up your GT2 with 1.5bar on stock internals. I doubt they would say something like "Fine, give me your cash and I risk my good name with blowing your engine up."
Old 04-20-2007, 08:27 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

Stummel it won't necessarily blow up with a few cranked up quartermile runs and 60-130mph, but rather shorten the life of the engine. Of course do it often and you might have a rod go through your headlight.

If a customer wants bragging quartermile rights or 60-130 mph for little money, you can'beat this. This is what seems to be the goal of many 996 users nowadays, it's their choice.

OTOH, I know Alois blows up your engine without even you asking him to do so, and as far as Reinhold is concerned, with the price he would charge you for a 5.9s 60-130mph 996, you could buy a second engine and have it also tuned by Protomotive if the first one ever gets damaged. Don't forget even YOU can drive those watercooled motors at 1.2 Bar on the highway all day long and not break them.

It is all about trade-offs.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:35 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Default Boost, the Autobahn and US tuners....

Another note about the higher boost pressures and the Tuner vs Customer argument.

Protomotive is very much about flow and lower boost to accomplish certain goals, Todd is
militant about this to a point. (My car will stay at or below 1.2 to 1.3 bar by the way).

Recently we have younger (intelligent) customers coming from the insanely highly boosted
high powered Supra World and going to People like Protomotive. They are DEMANDING that
Todd run higher boost in their cars and of course understand the perils associated. Typically these
boost pressures are for dyno runs and short bursts such as drag racing (after the customer gets
the car home). So tuners philosophy hasn't changed, but some of the customer profiles have.

Cheers guys!! And remember we all know of some German built tuners cars which have blown
up on the Autobahnen as well, but your point about long flat foot runs in top gear is well taken
and you can bet that Protomotive and the other top builders would set up a car differently for that
task.

Marty K (hardly an expert, but trying)
Old 04-21-2007, 01:09 PM
KPG
Pro

Originally Posted by Woodster
Another note about the higher boost pressures and the Tuner vs Customer argument.

Protomotive is very much about flow and lower boost to accomplish certain goals, Todd is
militant about this to a point. (My car will stay at or below 1.2 to 1.3 bar by the way).

Recently we have younger (intelligent) customers coming from the insanely highly boosted
high powered Supra World and going to People like Protomotive. They are DEMANDING that
Todd run higher boost in their cars and of course understand the perils associated. Typically these
boost pressures are for dyno runs and short bursts such as drag racing (after the customer gets
the car home). So tuners philosophy hasn't changed, but some of the customer profiles have.
Marty, just how militant can Todd be concerning low boost and efiiciencies when running 1.5 bar on stock internals? I agree that this is a touchy subject,but cleary the tuners philosophy HAS changed with the customers. A philosophy is something to live by regardless of what the customer wants or the way the wind blows. The decision to run those boost levels on stock internals is clearly no ones business but TK and the customer, but it is disingenuous to say his philosophy has not changed. Heck, I am arguing to get my car to run at those boost levels and I have the best hardware in the bottom end and rotating assembly that Porsche Motorsports can offer. IMO, I would stay away from those types of builds due to the bad press they can, and will produce when that motor pops. Glad to see you are going to be at a sane boost level Kevin

Last edited by KPG; 04-21-2007 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:27 PM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

June 2007 Car & Driver just tested the new Ferrari 599GTB Fiorano:

60 to 130 in 7.7 seconds with two shifts.

Not bad for 3953 lb curb weight, 611 bhp @ 7600 and 448 lb-ft @ 5600. Base price $280,295.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:17 AM
M-Phibian
Instructor

Originally Posted by KPG
Marty, just how militant can Todd be concerning low boost and efiiciencies when running 1.5 bar on stock internals? I agree that this is a touchy subject,but cleary the tuners philosophy HAS changed with the customers. A philosophy is something to live by regardless of what the customer wants or the way the wind blows. The decision to run those boost levels on stock internals is clearly no ones business but TK and the customer, but it is disingenuous to say his philosophy has not changed.
Kevin,

I can assure you that Todd's philosphy has NOT changed. He is very adamant against running boost such as that, but it is the customers choice....not his.

Todd didn't want me to run higher than 1.5 BAR on my engine either, and I even have a built motor. We went back and forth over this for weeks. But thankfully, my car is efficient enough that it made the power I wanted at 1.4 BAR so I don't need to boost any higher.

Anyway, I just want to clarify your statement. Todd's philosphy has not changed in the least, but his customers have the final call on how they drive their cars.

Last edited by M-Phibian; 05-13-2007 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:29 AM
M-Phibian
Instructor

Here's another one to add to the list; my Protomotive 996TT ran 60-130 in 5.46 seconds and 100-200 km/h in 4.68 seconds.

The car is a RWD conversion, but full weight otherwise. Has stock, full interior with power/leather/heated seats, all carpets, door panels, as well as a Tequipment roll bar.

Run was made by my tuner on 103/110 octane mix at 1.4 BAR using DOT street legal BFG drag radials. His one shift was a bit lazy, so I plan on bettering this run very soon.
Attached Images  

Last edited by M-Phibian; 05-13-2007 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:31 PM
KPG
Pro

Originally Posted by M-Phibian
Kevin,

I can assure you that Todd's philosphy has NOT changed. He is very adamant against running boost such as that, but it is the customers choice....not his.

Todd didn't want me to run higher than 1.5 BAR on my engine either, and I even have a built motor. We went back and forth over this for weeks. But thankfully, my car is efficient enough that it made the power I wanted at 1.4 BAR so I don't need to boost any higher.

Anyway, I just want to clarify your statement. Todd's philosphy has not changed in the least, but his customers have the final call on how they drive their cars.
Scott, congrats on a great run. BTW, 1.5 bar on your motor and 1.5 bar on a stock motor are two totally different animals. As I said previously, the decision to run 1.5 bar on a stock motor is the customer and the tuner's decision, but that boost level on a stock motor is anything but a low boost philosophy. Again, different philosophies, but I dont understand why anyone would want to take the risk that a stock motor may pop and have all the associated negative press, even though the customer demanded it.... As others previously stated, I dont think RS tuning or Ruf would run those boost levels on a stock motor no matter how much cash was offered. Anyway, that is just a difference of opinion between you and I and in no way reflects on the great power and times your car has and will produce in the near future. BTW, the boost level I wanted to run on my setup was summarily dismissed. Take care, Kevin
Old 05-13-2007, 12:46 PM
Stummel
Pro

You must love the push in the back.

What do you think would it run on 95 octane and what boost would you use for normal fuel?

Originally Posted by M-Phibian
Here's another one to add to the list; my Protomotive 996TT ran 60-130 in 5.46 seconds and 100-200 km/h in 4.68 seconds.

The car is a RWD conversion, but full weight otherwise. Has stock, full interior with power/leather/heated seats, all carpets, door panels, as well as a Tequipment roll bar.

Run was made by my tuner on 103/110 octane mix at 1.4 BAR using DOT street legal BFG drag radials. His one shift was a bit lazy, so I plan on bettering this run very soon.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:58 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Geez Scott, your car is insane. Assume that was from the latest build.

Quick Reply: 60-130 MPH: New performance measurement!