Sponsored by:

993 WB Values are UP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2021, 12:01 AM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Received 627 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbos1
I am very blessed to own a Classic 993 and respect all those who Mod. Yes it’s been a very sad past 24 hours. Godspeed Rudy you were an inspiration to us all!
AMEN to that!!
The following 2 users liked this post by JAB12:
Gbos1 (08-13-2021), M. Schneider (08-16-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 08:38 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 926 Likes on 556 Posts

Ok, thanks. We have a couple of dealers running that program up here too. I thought you were referring to something else.
The following users liked this post:
Gbos1 (08-13-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 09:53 AM
INTMD8
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 145 Posts

My car came from “Porsche Classic” and was put there by Classic at the Porsche Classic Center similar to the Porsche Museum cars and documented by Porsche Classic. BTW my car will never be for sale so that comment is Moot!
Goddamn that's a lot of classics.

IMO, don't see much difference with non-factory mods whether they were bolted on by a Porsche dealer or someone else.

Last edited by INTMD8; 08-13-2021 at 09:55 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by INTMD8:
B-Line (08-16-2021), M. Schneider (08-13-2021), rk-d (08-13-2021), TheDangerZone (08-16-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 10:47 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by INTMD8
Goddamn that's a lot of classics.

Ok, now that made me spit out my coffee! I needed that this morning. I still cant believe that the car community lost Rudy. As a fellow 993 and E30 m3 guy (Rudy also collected M3's) we texted and talked often. I just texted with him on July 13th. So sad. RIP my friend!!!!!
M. Schneider (08-13-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 02:42 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 325 Likes on 235 Posts

I am just stating the obvious here nothing more. My “opinion is” the car was not to my “taste.” I think I have the right to my opinion right? If he would have returned it to stock I bet the price would have went higher.

I have every single original part from my car that was taken off and fully reversible but will never sell this car and will be passed on down. $60k worth of modding later I might break even in 2040 Don’t care.

See that “Porsche Classic Decal” on my lower doors…. That was put there by the “Porsche Gods.” Fully documented from Classic.

She is so beautiful!!
Gbos1 (08-13-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 01:30 AM
Bugsy993
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 993 market values

I know that it's been about 5 months since you posted your opinion about 993 values. Interestingly I've been "out of the market" for the 5 months for the health reason, so I still don't know
what the market looks like. But in my opinion when Covid is over (Ever ??) more people will become more active in about every segment of their lives including cars.
993 is considered as the Best Porsche ever made overall. We all know that 993 based GT2 is a superior car by far but it is not regular production mode. Both are last hand built models as 1997 was the last
year of "old style manufacturing" making Porsche lose money every year, right before Japanese built a modern assembly line for Porsche. At that moment Porsche became like any other car losing
the "hand build" status. Based on that fact I do think that values will be going up. After all there will be less, and less of these cars because of accidents, etc. and demand will make values go up.
ROW market is much better, and the ROW cars are much better, even the Canadian model 993 is a much, much better car than the US version. My daughter just quoted 993 prices in NADA book,
and they are from &5K for Fair condition to $148K for excellent example. That's what the Banks use to finance these cars. Not bad.....

Originally Posted by SToronto
Here's what I posted on another thread.....

But more realistically, not really. I want to get another one so this doesn't help. I'm no expert in 993 valuation but these are inflated numbers for sure in my estimation, I am doubtful that this is the start of a long term trend. I'm not sure they are necessarily rare cars either. Since I started my honest search in December, there are numerous cars available for sale in North America any given week, yes not all 11k examples or may not be exactly the spec you want. If you are looking for that sub 15k mile car then you pay I suppose.

I was listening to Collecting Cars podcast yesterday, Edward Lovitt was talking about a Singer he sold on the platform....sold for more than he was asking when he had it listed on a non-auction site. Much more! Auction sites perhaps draw a different audience and also the process encourages overspending.

As has been said, COVID has encouraged splurging on such items by those with much money to spare. I think once things open up and the focus shifts from COVID, people will spend on other things and values will drop/settle.

This is my layman's analysis.
Old 08-15-2021, 01:35 AM
turdfarmer
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Scooped this baby up in early January of this year. I’m never selling and up significantly on my “investment already”...

Bought with 48k miles, just hit 51k and have no issues with doing 51k more.

Old 08-16-2021, 08:31 AM
stevensivak
Burning Brakes

Received 294 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by mdude
Arctic on Cashmere. Now that's rare!
That just proves once and for all that the S is more valuable than the 4S....
M. Schneider (08-16-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 11:03 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by stevensivak
That just proves once and for all that the S is more valuable than the 4S....
Give it a rest and be thankful for whichever God has blessed you with.

I was at a stoplight last week; drizzling rain. There were 5-10 people at an adjacent bus stop and I remember thinking how many of them would turn down a S because it wasn’t AWD, or turn down a 4S because they couldn’t get the tail to break loose as they sped into their C&C parking lot.

There are so many things that impact a car’s price, one sale proves nothing. When I bought my WB in 2005, I truly didn’t care; came down to options, modifications, maintenance records, and availability at the time I was looking.

Definitely a 1st world issue.

Last edited by autobonrun; 08-16-2021 at 11:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by autobonrun:
Gbos1 (08-16-2021), JAB12 (08-17-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 07:21 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,151 Likes on 754 Posts

@Bugsy993 post in red.

"I know that it's been about 5 months since you posted your opinion about 993 values. Interestingly I've been "out of the market" for the 5 months for the health reason, so I still don't know
what the market looks like. But in my opinion when Covid is over (Ever ??) more people will become more active in about every segment of their lives including cars.
993 is considered as the Best Porsche ever made overall. We all know that 993 based GT2 is a superior car by far but it is not regular production mode. Both are last hand built models as 1997 was the last
year of "old style manufacturing" making Porsche lose money every year, right before Japanese built a modern assembly line for Porsche. At that moment Porsche became like any other car losing
the "hand build" status. Based on that fact I do think that values will be going up. After all there will be less, and less of these cars because of accidents, etc. and demand will make values go up.
ROW market is much better, and the ROW cars are much better, even the Canadian model 993 is a much, much better car than the US version. My daughter just quoted 993 prices in NADA book,
and they are from &5K for Fair condition to $148K for excellent example. That's what the Banks use to finance these cars. Not bad....."

---Quote (Originally by SToronto)---
Here's what I posted on another thread.....

But more realistically, not really. I want to get another one so this doesn't help. I'm no expert in 993 valuation but these are inflated numbers for sure in my estimation, I am doubtful that this is the start of a long term trend. I'm not sure they are necessarily rare cars either. Since I started my honest search in December, there are numerous cars available for sale in North America any given week, yes not all 11k examples or may not be exactly the spec you want. If you are looking for that sub 15k mile car then you pay I suppose.

I was listening to Collecting Cars podcast yesterday, Edward Lovitt was talking about a Singer he sold on the platform....sold for more than he was asking when he had it listed on a non-auction site. Much more! Auction sites perhaps draw a different audience and also the process encourages overspending.

As has been said, COVID has encouraged splurging on such items by those with much money to spare. I think once things open up and the focus shifts from COVID, people will spend on other things and values will drop/settle.

This is my layman's analysis.
---End Quote---

@Bugsy993

Got an email with the above post that I think you made today in this thread. However it's not in the thread, weird as I thought user posts couldn't be deleted.

Anyway, wanted to respond....

5 months? wow...time flies. Doesn't feel like it with the world we're in. I haven't been keeping a close tab on the market over the past month, anecdotally I feel like prices have plateaued. Those more in tune can correct as necessary. My views 5 months ago are dated due to COVID. Things aren't what people expected, in the US, UK and perhaps even Canada at this point. COVID is still lingering in force creating uncertainty for businesses, economy and people. This being said, I don't believe I had a timeline previously, but rather once we're past COVID enough whereby it's not at the forefront of public policy controlling our actions. In Canada, our numbers are climbing back up as restrictions are eased and it's primarily unvaccinated folks. Now our PM has triggered an election in a months time. Things are not normal or near normal.

When I say not rare, I mean you can find one to buy quite easily unless there is a specific spec.

I agree the that good 993s will only become more scarce as time passes. But I will still put some money on prices coming down a tad once COVID settles down. I do think they will have a new floor based on the initial run up Dec 2020-Feb 2021. They have been going up since until recently. I'm not sure a floor will form at today's prices.

As for Canadian 993s, when I was searching, they don't come up often. No clue how many were sold here.

While I like the idea of my car having increased in value nicely in a few months of ownership, I don't really care. This being said I have upped my declared value accordingly. I'm more concerned about having time to take it for a drive, going on cruises with fellow Porsche owners and going to a C&C to get my fill of chatting cars with like minded folks.

Last edited by SToronto; 08-18-2021 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-17-2021, 11:51 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 770 Likes on 540 Posts

They may “level” but will continue to increase. Don’t see this trend slowing down any time soon.
Old 08-18-2021, 10:08 AM
asj262
Advanced

Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts

Why do you say the Canadian 993 is better than the US version? Just curious, since my 95 993 NB is from BC and crossed the border in good to great condition.
Old 08-18-2021, 10:41 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

They may “level” but will continue to increase. Don’t see this trend slowing down any time soon.
Yep. Covid or not, the supply is decreasing while demand is increasing. Even the owners of modern GT 911s want a 993 in their stable. Prices will continue upward.
Old 08-18-2021, 10:48 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 926 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by asj262
Why do you say the Canadian 993 is better than the US version? Just curious, since my 95 993 NB is from BC and crossed the border in good to great condition.
I must have missed someone saying that, but they are identical other than having daytime running lights and most have sport seats. We don’t have a lot of 993’s up here to choose from and for some reason most end up being advertised for months…or years…before selling.

Last edited by Onami; 08-18-2021 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-18-2021, 12:13 PM
asj262
Advanced

Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts

SToronto mentioned it. I thought they were identical as well other than the km/h gauge and the running lights.

Quick Reply: 993 WB Values are UP!!!