Sponsored by:

[Engineering Explained] Porsche's New 911 Engine Is Absolutely Brilliant

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2024, 09:48 AM
TheGeneral
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike818
Porsche could implement flex fuel to boost the power.

1 lambda for E85 is ~9.7:1 vs gasolines 14.7:1 and it has an octane rating over 100
High ethanol content (E85) introduces a huge propensity to absorb water in the fuel/fuel system. If the fuel is constantly flushed by refueling it’s probably no biggie. But for owners whose 911 is a 2nd, 3rd or 4th car it can introduce “issues”. Additives and stabilizers help but still….
Old 06-17-2024, 09:54 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,411 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by jhenson29

Jason said the 3 sec vs 1 sec turbo lag difference is at 2000rpm. Would there be less of a difference at higher rpm?

Other than first, I don’t think I’m ever that low in the rpm range if acceleration is a priority.
Good point. I thought this an odd statement also. We need to be careful we are not confusing lugging the engine v. turbo lag. The torque ban for the 3.0TT does not begin until 2600 rpm so I expect the engine to fall flat when punching it @ 2k rpm unless in 1st maybe In fact , my 991.1 would fall flat on its face for a moment if I punched it at 2k rpm in anything but 1st gear.
Old 06-17-2024, 10:17 AM
Hunky
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGeneral
High ethanol content (E85) introduces a huge propensity to absorb water in the fuel/fuel system. If the fuel is constantly flushed by refueling it’s probably no biggie. But for owners whose 911 is a 2nd, 3rd or 4th car it can introduce “issues”. Additives and stabilizers help but still….
"e85" blends are all over the board also. You may be getting e60 from an e85 pump but a true flex fuel system will read the ethanol concentration and advance the timing accordingly.
Old 06-17-2024, 10:20 AM
Hunky
Instructor

Originally Posted by westsiderkg01
Have fun battery boys with your new hyundais, sorry I meant 992.2s.....sigh.....

Will do and actually have a mild hybrid in a new BMW M60i and can tell you that it is phenomenal, very noticeable step up from the M50i. These mild hybrids with no need to plug in are wonderfull.
The following users liked this post:
TheGeneral (06-17-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 10:23 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,598 Likes on 816 Posts

Originally Posted by OliverK68
Given how governments continue to tighten emissions regs, ICE enthusiasts should be grateful car manufacturers like Porsche are going to extraordinary lengths to keep the ICE engine in the bay as the primary mover instead of being relegated to backup generator and improving engine performance while they’re at it.
Grateful? No

Porsche should be grateful that those of us with money are buying their cars. And putting up with the dealer games to get them.

We don’t have to spend money on a pricy car. I can buy another investment property. Maybe a boat.

Porsche needs to appreciate us, the buyer. They are nothing without us. And if they end the ICE altogether in the 911, they know that they will be in serious trouble because only a minority of 911 owners would actually WANT a $150k all electric 911 when you can get a Hyundai Ionic 5 for less than half the price that’s just as fast and shares the same ubiquitous drivetrain (the same drivetrain as every ceiling fan on the planet)

Porsche knows this and that’s why every carmaker is pushing back and lobbying governments to relax their ICE bans so as to save their business. That is exactly what they should be doing, in appreciation of US—their wealthy buyers.
soguinness (06-17-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 11:09 AM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGeneral
FlexFuel has been around a long time. I've been running my Mitsubishi Evo 8 on E85 exclusively for over 10 years and >100k miles at >double the factory HP. I never had any issues related to moisture. I did have a problem with it dissolving my fuel pump hanger, but that was because the car wasn't designed to run on it. The car sat for over a year with E85 in the tank and it fired right up when I went to move it to make space for the 911.

Dodge figured it out https://www.dodgegarage.com/srt-demon-170

Originally Posted by Hunky
"e85" blends are all over the board also. You may be getting e60 from an e85 pump but a true flex fuel system will read the ethanol concentration and advance the timing accordingly.
It's true the blend can be different at different locations, but that isn't really a big deal. Anything over E50 is still gaining most of the benefits of running the fuel. Gasoline isn't uniform either, god only knows what kind of power hit this new setup will take when it tries to run California craptane.
Old 06-17-2024, 11:41 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,435 Likes on 5,018 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
The TTS makes 640, and the 296 about 650. Looks like the upper bound for a modern < 4L, emissions compliant 6 cylinder. Hypothetically they could have slide the tts down to the gts trim and made a 700+ hp tts hybrid.

I suspect the real answer is that it’s not profitable. The gts has the power it has for the entire 992.2 product family as context.
Agreed, but that's really a short term solution.

At some point, if a marque like Porsche wants to push the performance envelope and remain profibtable, you can't simply increase displacement in an ICE.

Some sort of hybrid tech needs to come into play. Whether that hybrid is forced induction (turbo or supercharger) or electric assist, it's ostensibly inevitable.

We are quickly approaching the very upper limits of what is feasible for a pure ICE (whether its NA or FI), if we're not already there.
AlexCeres (06-17-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 12:04 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 732 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
Grateful? No

Porsche should be grateful that those of us with money are buying their cars. And putting up with the dealer games to get them.

We don’t have to spend money on a pricy car. I can buy another investment property. Maybe a boat.

Porsche needs to appreciate us, the buyer. They are nothing without us. And if they end the ICE altogether in the 911, they know that they will be in serious trouble because only a minority of 911 owners would actually WANT a $150k all electric 911 when you can get a Hyundai Ionic 5 for less than half the price that’s just as fast and shares the same ubiquitous drivetrain (the same drivetrain as every ceiling fan on the planet)

Porsche knows this and that’s why every carmaker is pushing back and lobbying governments to relax their ICE bans so as to save their business. That is exactly what they should be doing, in appreciation of US—their wealthy buyers.
The American companies did push back but I don't think Porsche can . The fallout , fines , consequences , even prison sentence was such a disaster that it handicapped them moving forward for any type of opposition voice . Conceding to an ultimate EV was an act of survival.
They just had a timeline to gradually package it to make it all sound believable .

Old 06-17-2024, 12:32 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

At some point, if a marque like Porsche wants to push the performance envelope and remain profibtable, you can't simply increase displacement in an ICE.

Some sort of hybrid tech needs to come into play. Whether that hybrid is forced induction (turbo or supercharger) or electric assist, it's ostensibly inevitable.

We are quickly approaching the very upper limits of what is feasible for a pure ICE (whether its NA or FI), if we're not already there.
I can't speak for Europe's regulations, but in California it's hybridization that is being mandated, not the sensationalized "Death of the ICE". The vehicle will simply need to be capable of Pure EV operation some of the time.

So PHEV is inevitable but advancements in manufacturing technology make it pretty clear that ICE has a lot of runway to improve. It wasn't long ago that rockets were basically throw away.

the same ubiquitous drivetrain (the same drivetrain as every ceiling fan on the planet)
That's basically saying every ICE is the same as a lawn mower. I get that you are not interested / enthusiastic about the technology, but that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of differences and nuance to each approach / implementation.

Last edited by Mike818; 06-17-2024 at 01:05 PM.
AlexCeres (06-18-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 01:43 PM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Received 620 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

i was at nearly 12,000 feet this weekend and my 992.1 was gasphing for breath as i went to pass someone until the turbo spooled. they pulled out in front of me and were doing about 15 mph, so it's not like i was in any sort of power band.

actually interested to see how the new 3.6L with electric assist turbo will do in that situation. i live at 8,000' so the idea is intruiging.
Old 06-17-2024, 01:53 PM
Hunky
Instructor

Grateful? No

This is extremely well stated. Excellent points made here looking through a prism of reality. "every ceiling fan on the planet", that is f'n hilarious Man.
Old 06-17-2024, 02:00 PM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Received 1,170 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Good point. I thought this an odd statement also. We need to be careful we are not confusing lugging the engine v. turbo lag. The torque ban for the 3.0TT does not begin until 2600 rpm so I expect the engine to fall flat when punching it @ 2k rpm unless in 1st maybe In fact , my 991.1 would fall flat on its face for a moment if I punched it at 2k rpm in anything but 1st gear.
Time to full boost is a huge difference between punching it at 2k vs the appropriate gear (e.g. 4K+). I was testing and watching on my way to work this morning. I’m not saying the new GTS isn’t measurably quicker (so let’s measure it) at building boost at higher rpm’s also, but it’s likely not 2 sec quicker as I don’t know that’s its 2 sec total for the .1 GTS at higher rpm.
Fullyield (06-18-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 02:07 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

IIRC they mention this engine is using SAS which is anti-lag technology from rally car racing. So how much that is reducing lag plus the assist from the electric motor is TBD I guess.
Old 06-17-2024, 11:39 PM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Received 758 Likes on 340 Posts

Had a VERY interesting discussion today while at M-Engineering in S. Florida doing the custom tune on my 4.5L Deman 992 GT3 Touring - I expressed my concern that this next gen of technology would signal the end of aftermarket tuning. They disagreed with the statement, and felt that they will be able to access to tables for the new e-turbos and hybrid drives. In fact, the tables for some of these technologies already exist in the 992.1 ECUs - been in the works for some time it seems. According to ME, the new e-turbo is a TOTAL game changer, and VERY exciting technology that they are eager to tune. They have an order placed for one of the first 992.2 GTSs . . . let's hope their optimism pans out and they are able to access the tuning tables for this new platform. If so, the 992.2 generation should be eye-watering - if we can uncork that powerplant, I'm sure the results will be amazing. I feel better, and least for now!
AlexCeres (06-17-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 12:23 AM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 231 Posts

You guys are still nuts. You engineering guys are smoking more pot than ever before.

Porsche will survive in North America only if they throttle back in their USA goals. I don't care about the EU as their economy is very close to a massive recession.
This may be the worst damage to stock prices since the Chevrolet Vega.

Last edited by VintageRacer; 06-18-2024 at 12:25 AM.

Quick Reply: [Engineering Explained] Porsche's New 911 Engine Is Absolutely Brilliant