Sponsored by:

[Engineering Explained] Porsche's New 911 Engine Is Absolutely Brilliant

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2024, 10:47 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 757 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunky
ICE enthusiasts are the overwhelming majority of us here. The mild hybrids are outstanding on top of a primary gas powered engine.
You dont see there big picture . The EU has made it very clear . The hybrid is the transitional step to wean us off until full EV . It's the entire reason for is existence starting with the 919 (testing prototypes and tricking the technology down ) in 2014 because everyone saw it coming . The billions spent in mission E was not brought you from drivers . It was brought by politicians in another country with your money !!!

Why does the GT2 exist? Guess? To win GT2. How many GT2 races you seen? None? Why? GT2 is gone. So why build the 991GT2? Well they skipped the GT2 and went directly to the GT2RS? Because it's the Weissach equivalent to the GT3 for the 911 Turbos, as the GT3 is race car for the NA cars. Customers WANT the GT2. But there is NO RACING reason to build it. No race to enter? No development. It didn't take 4 years. They had no horse in the race other than provide a GT2 for the 911 Turbo enthusiasts. This is unlike the GT3 cars which DO race, or at least their race car equivalents do.
Old 06-16-2024, 11:01 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OliverK68
Given how governments continue to tighten emissions regs, ICE enthusiasts should be grateful car manufacturers like Porsche are going to extraordinary lengths to keep the ICE engine in the bay as the primary mover instead of being relegated to backup generator and improving engine performance while they’re at it.
They didnt do it for any other reason than their own fiscal survival. .

BTW - American companies did push back !!! Ford and GM both said no way . The admin backed off realizing it could ruin the auto economy .

Take for example the Mach E . Sure at the launch all the "gottahaveit" buyers sat on waiting lists and then sales went DEAD !!!! They had to slash the price .https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...r-sales-plunge

No one wants them , same with Ford lightning. .

There us MORE pushback .. Ford said NO .. https://electrek.co/2024/05/13/ford-...100000-per-ev/

Japan is backing off . https://www.topspeed.com/why-toyota-...tric-cars/?h22

France elections ditched Macron and a meeting is already taking place .. the subject is climate change . they are fed up !! Europe was heading towards carbon neutral supply chains and destroying the economy . Farmers had it too!! They voted him out !!https://www.politico.eu/article/emma...ench-election/

Virginia was originally going to join California in the EV thrust and backed out !! !!https://www.13newsnow.com/article/ne...d-8e09b003f9f2

You guys make me laugh . I dont know if its blindness or innocence or trust fund babies who got old and dont care .
The following 2 users liked this post by yrralis1:
elvisdoc (06-16-2024), Hunky (06-16-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 11:16 AM
Hunky
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 129 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^Spot on.
Old 06-16-2024, 12:07 PM
PorscheObsessed
Racer

Received 219 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1

BTW - American companies did push back !!! Ford and GM both said no way . The admin backed off realizing it could ruin the auto economy .

Take for example the Mach E . Sure at the launch all the "gottahaveit" buyers sat on waiting lists and then sales went DEAD !!!! They had to slash the price .https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...r-sales-plunge

There us MORE pushback .. Ford said NO .. https://electrek.co/2024/05/13/ford-...100000-per-ev/

France elections ditched Macron and a meeting is already taking place .. the subject is climate change . they are fed up !! Europe was heading towards carbon neutral supply chains and destroying the economy . Farmers had it too!! They voted him out !!https://www.politico.eu/article/emma...ench-election/

Virginia was originally going to join California in the EV thrust and backed out !! !!https://www.13newsnow.com/article/ne...d-8e09b003f9f2

You guys make me laugh . I dont know if its blindness or innocence or trust fund babies who got old and dont care .
There may be trust fund babies here but a sub species among us is the richest of them all. A south Floridian with cognitive dissonance and a massive affliction of endowment bias.
The following users liked this post:
DrKarlB (06-16-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 12:57 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PorscheObsessed
There may be trust fund babies here but a sub species among us is the richest of them all. A south Floridian with cognitive dissonance and a massive affliction of endowment bias.
Is that a conclusion or simply the place you got tired of thinking ?
Old 06-16-2024, 01:18 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 226 Posts

They didnt do it for any other reason than their own fiscal survival. (…snip)
Of course they did. Just like any other business confronted with changing regulations.

Personally, I was expecting some sort of mixture of direct motor-to-wheel drive and larger battery pack.
Old 06-16-2024, 01:42 PM
user 999993337
Banned

Received 179 Likes on 95 Posts

Absolutely! Global warming is totally a myth, and who needs clean air anyway? You're right, let's crank up those pollution levels—what could possibly go wrong? The more smog, the better!

So everyone else makes you laugh? That's cute, if you think pollution and environmental degradation are the way forward, keep on believing that.

And those companies and people that you mentioned who oppose it, they're just in it for the financial gain.
PorscheObsessed (06-16-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 03:15 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by melhechi
Absolutely! Global warming is totally a myth, and who needs clean air anyway? You're right, let's crank up those pollution levels—what could possibly go wrong? The more smog, the better!

So everyone else makes you laugh? That's cute, if you think pollution and environmental degradation are the way forward, keep on believing that.

And those companies and people that you mentioned who oppose it, they're just in it for the financial gain.
I said nothing about clean air being bad. My argument hinges on the one word.: CHOICE! If a person wishes to buy an electric vehicle, then by all means please do. However, when government steps in takes away choices and mandates their own, it begs the question of who’s being the opportunist here. In the same breath, they have done nothing meaningful to implement it . In the meantime, gas is cheap, readily available, and it’s still would not stop the pollution from all the other sources beyond passenger cars, and trucks if we became an all electric society. to build the infrastructure to even accommodate such a thing would even score years in the making.. most of the people who buy electric cars don’t even even really care about the environment. They simply wantto present the image that they do. In short, they are fake do gooders . I am all in favor of a clean environment, but there is a right way to go about it and a wrong way. what’s even worse? Is it some people actually believe that this is some bandage over the wound rather than opening up a new door of problems. They believe that electric vehicles will solve the problems rather than create new ones . Porsche didn’t want this. They had no choice.
elvisdoc (06-16-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 03:38 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 189 Posts

Is it even possible to have a debate without it devolving into strawman arguments and red herrings?

It's super simple, we KNOW we are burning too much **** already. If we want to grow the economy and raise the global standard of living we have to do it with something OTHER THAN fossil fuels. And that's all there is to it.

We also need to cut back how much we are burning, so that requires being more thoughtful and efficient in the ways we choose to do it.

PorscheObsessed (06-16-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 03:55 PM
elvisdoc
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike818
Is it even possible to have a debate without it devolving into strawman arguments and red herrings?

It's super simple, we KNOW we are burning too much **** already. If we want to grow the economy and raise the global standard of living we have to do it with something OTHER THAN fossil fuels. And that's all there is to it.

We also need to cut back how much we are burning, so that requires being more thoughtful and efficient in the ways we choose to do it.

Sounds like a Cali opinion? ha. You are welcome to go EV and I thank you for offsetting my ICE engine with that Tesla Toaster (jk). Please continue to do so as I don't plan to EVER buy an EV and I need that carbon offset, my friend. Sports cars should always be ICE in my humble opinion, EU be damned. Maybe Porsche can relocate a factory to my home state of Texas.....we LOVE petroleum users and those ICE cars and trucks and have no plan to outlaw them.
Hunky (06-16-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 03:59 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by elvisdoc
Sounds like a Cali opinion? ha. You are welcome to go EV and I thank you for offsetting my ICE engine with that Tesla Toaster (jk). Please continue to do so as I don't plan to EVER buy an EV and I need that carbon offset, my friend. Sports cars should always be ICE in my humble opinion, EU be damned. Maybe Porsche can relocate a factory to my home state of Texas.....we LOVE petroleum users and those ICE cars and trucks and have no plan to outlaw them.
People gave up horses, and they have like names and personalities etc.....

I think the ICE will be easier to give up than that.
Old 06-16-2024, 04:03 PM
user 999993337
Banned

Received 179 Likes on 95 Posts

I said nothing about clean air being bad. My argument hinges on the one word.: CHOICE! If a person wishes to buy an electric vehicle, then by all means please do. However, when government steps in takes away choices and mandates their own, it begs the question of who’s being the opportunist here. In the same breath, they have done nothing meaningful to implement it . In the meantime, gas is cheap, readily available, and it’s still would not stop the pollution from all the other sources beyond passenger cars, and trucks if we became an all electric society. to build the infrastructure to even accommodate such a thing would even score years in the making.. most of the people who buy electric cars don’t even even really care about the environment. They simply wantto present the image that they do. In short, they are fake do gooders . I am all in favor of a clean environment, but there is a right way to go about it and a wrong way. what’s even worse? Is it some people actually believe that this is some bandage over the wound rather than opening up a new door of problems. They believe that electric vehicles will solve the problems rather than create new ones . Porsche didn’t want this. They had no choice.
You're right about choice and the challenges of government mandates. We indeed need a balanced approach to environmental issues.

I believe Porsche's advancements in the new t-hybrid is not just about appeasing regulations but about pushing the boundaries of what's possible in performance and efficiency.

To me, Porsche is embodying the spirit of choice. They're providing solutions that address both current and future challenges forced by regulations. Once they launch the 50th Jahre Turbo S in October (The wingless Turbo) their vision for what coming with the 911 lineup will be clearer.
Old 06-16-2024, 04:07 PM
Brad Stinson
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 63 Posts

So getting back on topic - lots of assumption in this thread that there are significant positive environmental impact advantages to this new power plant, and thus that “the man” was behind this design change rather than Porsche looking at ways to improve performance. Does anyone have actual data on that? We know the 992.1 engine was at Lamba 1 99% of the time and people often get 30mpg on the hwy, so… What is the increase in MPG? What is the reduction in emissions?

Autobahn7 (06-17-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 04:14 PM
Hunky
Racer

Spare us the global warming BS and enjoy your golf cart.
Send the big bad fossil fuel industry lecture over to China and India as they certainly have not gotten that memo as of yet while they are devouring the worlds industry with cheap energy.
"We need to cut back". Indeed Dude, I remember when we were guranteed to be entering an Ice Age during the 70s and the Peanut Farmer fed us that crap.
elvisdoc (06-16-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 04:16 PM
Hunky
Racer

Dup.

Last edited by Hunky; 06-16-2024 at 04:18 PM.

Quick Reply: [Engineering Explained] Porsche's New 911 Engine Is Absolutely Brilliant