Sponsored by:

[Engineering Explained] Porsche's New 911 Engine Is Absolutely Brilliant

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2024, 12:26 AM
RRich
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by f4bones
Had a VERY interesting discussion today while at M-Engineering in S. Florida doing the custom tune on my 4.5L Deman 992 GT3 Touring - I expressed my concern that this next gen of technology would signal the end of aftermarket tuning. They disagreed with the statement, and felt that they will be able to access to tables for the new e-turbos and hybrid drives. In fact, the tables for some of these technologies already exist in the 992.1 ECUs - been in the works for some time it seems. According to ME, the new e-turbo is a TOTAL game changer, and VERY exciting technology that they are eager to tune. They have an order placed for one of the first 992.2 GTSs . . . let's hope their optimism pans out and they are able to access the tuning tables for this new platform. If so, the 992.2 generation should be eye-watering - if we can uncork that powerplant, I'm sure the results will be amazing. I feel better, and least for now!
One of the challenges in tunning the 992.2 GTS will be using a generator instead of a wastage to control boost and prevent turbo overspeed. With an increase in HP from a tune the generator’s current output will need to increase to prevent overspeed and this will impact the generator/motor’s, electrical/thermal environment, as well as the electrical controllers, cabling and battery. Many new systems to understand to be confident the OEM design is capable of accommodating a tune long term.
The following users liked this post:
fxz (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 01:00 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by RRich
One of the challenges in tunning the 992.2 GTS will be using a generator instead of a wastage to control boost and prevent turbo overspeed. With an increase in HP from a tune the generator’s current output will need to increase to prevent overspeed and this will impact the generator/motor’s, electrical/thermal environment, as well as the electrical controllers, cabling and battery. Many new systems to understand to be confident the OEM design is capable of accommodating a tune long term.
This
+when depleted battery there s nothing to tune,
I know it won't happen to daily commuters but only on track, where BTW on the Ring, either a Pro driver, uses brakes....

Next time you see them can you ask

what s the lag of a big turbo without battery and how long one has to go around to fully recharge it?

Last edited by fxz; 06-18-2024 at 02:07 AM.
Old 06-18-2024, 02:18 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by VintageRacer
You guys are still nuts. You engineering guys are smoking more pot than ever before.

Porsche will survive in North America only if they throttle back in their USA goals. I don't care about the EU as their economy is very close to a massive recession.
This may be the worst damage to stock prices since the Chevrolet Vega.
yeah the ****ing engineering guys know jack **** about engineering. Who do they think they are ? Those Porsche dicks. What have they ever known about engineering ?

lol. Filed this one away with “you’re an idiot for buying a gt3 with adm. I;m going to get one at a discount from msrp before production ends. Just you wait and see!” in the epic failures folder.

over the next couple years of upcoming models:
best TTS ever
best manual (?!) turbo ever
best gt3 ever
best gt3rs ever
best carrera S ever
best cayenne ever
best panamera ever
best Macan ever, probably
best gt2rs, maybe

stock price ? I think they;ll be okay.
Old 06-18-2024, 02:22 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
This
+when depleted battery there s nothing to tune,
I know it won't happen to daily commuters but only on track, where BTW on the Ring, either a Pro driver, uses brakes....

Next time you see them can you ask

what s the lag of a big turbo without battery and how long one has to go around to fully recharge it?
That’s simply not true. at 0% battery, it is continuously generating enough energy to run at 40% power (at least, there are 2 emotors, and it’s not clear the eturbo can ever be underpowered, it’s generating 11kw). It’s literally never non-operational. Folks really need some Valium around here.
Old 06-18-2024, 03:18 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
That’s simply not true. at 0% battery, it is continuously generating enough energy to run at 40% power (at least, there are 2 emotors, and it’s not clear the eturbo can ever be underpowered, it’s generating 11kw). It’s literally never non-operational. Folks really need some Valium around here.
Ppl need continous kool aid then...
e-turbo generates 11kW when >4krpm

i understand the whole thread from its title,
is a big marketing spot for Porsche,

so the only way to know the "secret" is to buy one and then deny reality
until you will sell it (has happened for each GT3 flavours and marketing wise works well to convince ppl spending >200k....)

a big profit "secret" sauce
that P understood and spread very well

Last edited by fxz; 06-18-2024 at 03:24 AM.
Old 06-18-2024, 03:20 AM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 235 Posts

yeah the ****ing engineering guys know jack **** about engineering. Who do they think they are ? Those Porsche dicks. What have they ever known about engineering ?

lol. Filed this one away with “you’re an idiot for buying a gt3 with adm. I;m going to get one at a discount from msrp before production ends. Just you wait and see!” in the epic failures folder.

over the next couple years of upcoming models:
best TTS ever
best manual (?!) turbo ever
best gt3 ever
best gt3rs ever
best carrera S ever
best cayenne ever
best panamera ever
best Macan ever, probably
best gt2rs, maybe

stock price ? I think they;ll be okay.
You engineers have big plans for your cars and those trucks. They call them SUV's?

Your big hero's lly around in private jets. You have two of them?
Old 06-18-2024, 04:01 AM
dchang81
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

What the hell thread did I just read
The following 3 users liked this post by dchang81:
aggie57 (06-18-2024), Fullyield (06-18-2024), UncleDude (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 05:19 AM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by dchang81
It's called social media.

It is a few smart Finanancial Guys with real College Degrees vs a few "engineers:" that got their degree from a local community technical program. /Move on./
Old 06-18-2024, 08:12 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,491 Likes on 930 Posts

yeah the ****ing engineering guys know jack **** about engineering. Who do they think they are ? Those Porsche dicks. What have they ever known about engineering .
Speaking of “chill” ?????
Old 06-18-2024, 08:35 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 543 Likes on 234 Posts

Excellent explanation of the new Hyrbid motor and it would be cool if they could manage a manual transmission model...

Porsche sales are not going well in Canada and I can only assume in the U.S. too yet MSRP prices are rising and the ADM game continues on most in demand models. At some point the mothership will need to interject. How? I don't know but their share price is down 26% and the worst its been since 2020...

Dealers can't give away Taycans now...but I bet if you want the next upcoming GT3 you'll need to take one.

Last edited by CamsPorsche; 06-18-2024 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-18-2024, 09:06 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,320 Likes on 618 Posts

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
Excellent explanation of the new Hyrbid motor and it would be cool if they could manage a manual transmission model...

Porsche sales are not going well in Canada and I can only assume in the U.S. too yet MSRP prices are rising and the ADM game continues on most in demand models. At some point the mothership will need to interject. How? I don't know but their share price is down 26% and the worst its been since 2020...

Dealers can't give away Taycans now...but I bet if you want the next upcoming GT3 you'll need to take one.
Not sure why you are saying Porsche sales are not going well in Canada, I was at my dealer last week for service, they did not have a single new 718 or 992 in inventory. It’s only one sample, but still.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 06-18-2024 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-18-2024, 10:26 AM
Hunky
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche

Taycans are really cool looking vehicles and would be the ticket if they had a 600HP mild hybrid V8. I am like most others that have absolutely no interest in owning a BEV that has to be charged with a damn cable and all the other downsides that EVs do. Forget about it.
Old 06-18-2024, 10:47 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,504 Likes on 742 Posts

In other news, F1 goes to new engine architecture in 2026. From 20%/80% ratio in e-power vs ICE they go to 47%/53% ratio with total kept at 1000hp...that requires bigger batteries to sustain the long acceleration in a F1 race. To do that they need drastic changes on the power regeneration aka more power from more breaking quadrupling the amount of energy they can recharge from 2MJ to 8MJ. Acceleration will be higher due to the 475hp from emotor yet they need to find a way to brake later into corners to harvest more energy. Corner speeds are predicted to be lower though as a result. The trick is a new active aero that unlike DSR is active all the time to reduce drag on straights and increase when entering corners. To me, it is exciting to follow how technology evolves...and while adding more and more restrictions engineers find a way to still make lap times faster and faster. A 47%/53% power ratio is not really a mild hybrid anymore but it shows whats possible in hybrid technology and findings ways to recharge these batteries even under extreme race conditions for a 50+lap race.

PS: Another news, Fisker filed for bankcruptcy - they made a bet on full EV SUV's and got swallowed.
Old 06-18-2024, 11:28 AM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 819 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by dchang81

LOL. Someone posted a video of an explanation of Porsche's new 911 hybrid engine. All of this information was already available. Nothing new here. Seems like folks were waiting for this video as some kind of validation.

Yes, EE explained it very well but it's still just on paper. And there are lots of questions. I'm a huge fan of his by the way. But, until we see real world tests and reliability of a few years down the road, I'm not drinking the Kool Aid. They don't need me to be a guinea pig anyway. Seems there are plenty out there.

I'm hopeful, but I'm also a realist.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ikone:
elvisdoc (06-18-2024), Fullyield (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 11:32 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 757 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
In other news, F1 goes to new engine architecture in 2026. From 20%/80% ratio in e-power vs ICE they go to 47%/53% ratio with total kept at 1000hp...that requires bigger batteries to sustain the long acceleration in a F1 race. To do that they need drastic changes on the power regeneration aka more power from more breaking quadrupling the amount of energy they can recharge from 2MJ to 8MJ. Acceleration will be higher due to the 475hp from emotor yet they need to find a way to brake later into corners to harvest more energy. Corner speeds are predicted to be lower though as a result. The trick is a new active aero that unlike DSR is active all the time to reduce drag on straights and increase when entering corners. To me, it is exciting to follow how technology evolves...and while adding more and more restrictions engineers find a way to still make lap times faster and faster. A 47%/53% power ratio is not really a mild hybrid anymore but it shows whats possible in hybrid technology and findings ways to recharge these batteries even under extreme race conditions for a 50+lap race.

PS: Another news, Fisker filed for bankcruptcy - they made a bet on full EV SUV's and got swallowed.
10 years out EV will, fry worse than diesel . The majority dont want it (with the exception of where governments have forced it) . Plus companies have dug far deeper than diesel to develop it . The cars you are seeing in racing are the way of prototype testing and it's a big hybrid advertisement when they cross the finish with a win . They could have also won with ICE but faced restrictions even in the race circuit .

The big three (Germany , France , Italy ) have elected new leadership . A few swipes of the pen can change a lot of things .

Last edited by yrralis1; 06-18-2024 at 11:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
sullic (06-18-2024)

Quick Reply: [Engineering Explained] Porsche's New 911 Engine Is Absolutely Brilliant