Sponsored by:

[Engineering Explained] Porsche's New 911 Engine Is Absolutely Brilliant

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2024, 03:36 PM
Nein Eleven
Racer

Received 372 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by adm63
Sounds like the engineers did their job, the goal was lambda = 1, apparently they were already close to that goal with the 3.0tt. Seems like if you have no problem with the current 3.0tt motor then there's not much to dislike about this new one, even if my lizard brain finds going from symmetrical twin turbo to asymmetrical single turbo to be a strange packaging choice.
That was the most interesting part of the video for me, that the 3.0tt is basically at lambda = 1 like 99% of the time and I’m guessing that the 1% is only observed on the Ring with their pro test drivers. This whole powertrain package was seemingly designed around that 1% gap and then optimized to produce more performance wherever possible. I understand why Porsche did what they did but it seems unnecessary in the bigger picture and the complexity of the system is counterethical to the spirit of the 911 in my mind. On top of that, imagine what the powertrain department could have done if they were not constrained by the lambda mandate.
Old 06-15-2024, 03:46 PM
Hunky
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGeneral
I purchased an X5 M60i as a daily late last year. It is scary fast.
Exactly!
You would really not expect the M60i to be as crazy strong as it is. These things f'n rock right of the line with no flat spots.
I've seen Draggy slips 3.37-3.4 seconds and that was on 91 octane and 6,000 DA bad air.
The tuners show baseline WHP a hair under 500 which is at least 600 at the flywheel and don't forget the 147 lb ft of torque from the hybrid that is brought online when called for by the onboard whiz bang box.

Last edited by Hunky; 06-15-2024 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-15-2024, 03:48 PM
McNamara
Instructor

Received 168 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
And to say Jason is somehow biased because he’s monetizing his YouTube videos is the typical desperate grabbing at those proverbial straws. Hate to break it to you but very YouTuber is monetizing their content. It’s just the way the world works. So it’s not just irrelevant but a complete red herring.

If you don’t like Porsche’s foray into hybrid tech, that’s ok. But don’t use straw man arguments. It’s just a bad look.
No, it’s actually a very valid point. Personally I consider almost any review or product commentary video from well known YouTubers to be highly suspect and should generally be taken with a massive grain of salt. The exception would be an actual end user with a paltry following who doesn’t have to agonize over whether their honesty will compromise the future of their “channel”. I’ve found some really insightful content that way, but it can be hard to find.
The following 2 users liked this post by McNamara:
SBAD (07-17-2024), yrralis1 (06-16-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 04:30 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by Nein Eleven
That was the most interesting part of the video for me, that the 3.0tt is basically at lambda = 1 like 99% of the time and I’m guessing that the 1% is only observed on the Ring with their pro test drivers. This whole powertrain package was seemingly designed around that 1% gap and then optimized to produce more performance wherever possible. I understand why Porsche did what they did but it seems unnecessary in the bigger picture and the complexity of the system is counterethical to the spirit of the 911 in my mind. On top of that, imagine what the powertrain department could have done if they were not constrained by the lambda mandate.
He talks about it at the end of the video. The larger turbo fan produces less heat, so it doesn't need as much cooling from running rich at the high end of the load, and in fact, there isn't necessarily a lot of performance left on the table (for engineering, not necessarily marketing / business choices). The weakness of a large turbo are handled by the emotor. It's an extremely well balanced system.

I doubt we have to imagine very long. There will be a TTS and it will be absurd. And maybe even a 2RS.

This engine has more torque, more hp, and vastly less turbo lag. It's basically an improved 911 Turbo rebadged as the GTS trim. Literally no one on a public road needs whatever that last 1% was. But fear not. Porsche will sell it to you for more money next year.
Old 06-15-2024, 04:43 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by VintageRacer
You are nominated to judge the new 2025 Porsche 911 GTS. What options did you specify? What was the ~final price? Please post pictures.
did not get an allocation yet , but definitely getting one
but what I meant I have zero hesitation to pull the trigger and dealer said pretty soon
Old 06-15-2024, 05:21 PM
Hunky
Racer

Originally Posted by pitt911
did not get an allocation yet , but definitely getting one
but what I meant I have zero hesitation to pull the trigger and dealer said pretty soon
Wow, 2025 911 GTS.
Old 06-15-2024, 05:48 PM
Brad Stinson
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 63 Posts

Emissions numbers have already been posted by Porsche, the GTS emits 251-239 g/km CO2 while the base (3.0TT) emits 244-230 g/km. So if you think the powertrain was designed primarily to reduce emissions (which is the whole point of Lamba=1) then clearly they have failed, as the emissions went up slightly. This platform's greatest achievement is NOT lower emissions, it's a massive reduction in turbo lag combined with electric assist off the line. Unless you consider turbo lag important to the ethos of the 911, then this seems like move in the right direction.

All engineering is a series of compromises, and I believe the primary goals at Porsche were to improve the performance (responsiveness rather than absolute HP) without a substantial increase in emissions. Assuming the powerplant proves reliable, it's a masterpiece IMO and I have no doubt it'll be incredible to drive. It's great to see a company focused not just on 0-60 times, or max HP, but rather on improving the car's dynamic engine response and thus driving pleasure.
Old 06-15-2024, 08:59 PM
adm63
Pro

Received 906 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
The EU mandate was lambda=1 , Porsche didnt magically arrive at this . Technically they can get more power out of the engine but it would fail emissions . Tuners will learn the engine .
right, their goal was mandated by the EU
The following users liked this post:
yrralis1 (06-16-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 09:16 PM
Nein Eleven
Racer

Received 372 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Stinson
Emissions numbers have already been posted by Porsche, the GTS emits 251-239 g/km CO2 while the base (3.0TT) emits 244-230 g/km. So if you think the powertrain was designed primarily to reduce emissions (which is the whole point of Lamba=1) then clearly they have failed, as the emissions went up slightly. This platform's greatest achievement is NOT lower emissions, it's a massive reduction in turbo lag combined with electric assist off the line. Unless you consider turbo lag important to the ethos of the 911, then this seems like move in the right direction.
There’s more than one type of automotive emission. CO2 is a greenhouse gas but Lambda = 1 is shown here to be primarily related to the air pollutants (carcinogens and such) NOx, HC, and CO (carbon monoxide). Also, it’s been stated elsewhere that the pending Euro regs on Lambda was a primary driver for the design of this powertrain.
Old 06-15-2024, 09:19 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,227 Likes on 705 Posts

Thr 992.2 GTS powerplant is absolutely an engineering marvel. Still don't like it.

Once it drops in the TTS more people will love it. Just the way the cookie crumbles.
The following 2 users liked this post by 911dude41:
AlexCeres (06-15-2024), lovernanako (06-16-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 10:00 PM
Brad Stinson
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 63 Posts

There’s more than one type of automotive emission. CO2 is a greenhouse gas but Lambda = 1 is shown here to be primarily related to the air pollutants (carcinogens and such) NOx, HC, and CO (carbon monoxide). Also, it’s been stated elsewhere that the pending Euro regs on Lambda was a primary driver for the design of this powertrain.
Of course it was a driver, in the same way that bumper design includes pedestrian safety requirements as a driver. I’m honestly more impressed if it was THE driver, because if so then Porsche seems to have taken lemons and made lemonade.
Old 06-15-2024, 10:04 PM
elvisdoc
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Jury is out. Probably a great engine but we don't know yet.

Last edited by elvisdoc; 06-15-2024 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-16-2024, 12:36 AM
Jrezaf
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by shrimp money
When it works, yeah it'll be quicker. I'm just curious after year 4, if it's value is punished like a Maserati.
I've always bought my cars new, but if it depreciates similarly I may reconsider the ehybrid for a beater!
Old 06-16-2024, 09:09 AM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 226 Posts

Given how governments continue to tighten emissions regs, ICE enthusiasts should be grateful car manufacturers like Porsche are going to extraordinary lengths to keep the ICE engine in the bay as the primary mover instead of being relegated to backup generator and improving engine performance while they’re at it.
The following 3 users liked this post by OliverK68:
apias (06-20-2024), rasetsu (06-16-2024), user 999993337 (06-16-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 10:20 AM
Hunky
Racer

Originally Posted by OliverK68
Given how governments continue to tighten emissions regs, ICE enthusiasts should be grateful car manufacturers like Porsche are going to extraordinary lengths to keep the ICE engine in the bay as the primary mover instead of being relegated to backup generator and improving engine performance while they’re at it.
ICE enthusiasts are the overwhelming majority of us here. The mild hybrids are outstanding on top of a primary gas powered engine.
The following users liked this post:
Tupper (06-17-2024)

Quick Reply: [Engineering Explained] Porsche's New 911 Engine Is Absolutely Brilliant