Sponsored by:

[Engineering Explained] Porsche's New 911 Engine Is Absolutely Brilliant

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2024, 02:54 PM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Received 1,170 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
You are misquoting me to my own face. If you didn’t get what I wrote or don’t understand the bigger picture . Porsche was heavily restricted with what they could do with ice. They were even encouraged to build faster EV.. They played you. I see won . Have fun watching your money evaporate with this car . Even worse could be driving a service loaner more than actual car..
lol…I think my service loaner would just be the car you recently bought. Was that your thought behind the purchase? Skip straight up the service loaner!

Edit: I’m seriously cracking up here that your threat is I’ll spend time in your car.

Last edited by jhenson29; 06-18-2024 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-18-2024, 04:12 PM
melhechi
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by VarTheVar
I didn't read this entire thread but the Engineering explained video had 3 things that stood out to me as non truths.

1- I believe he compares weights of the old car to the new car with the standard rear seat delete which gives a false sense of how much weight the hybrid system adds. He says 103lbs i believe. The porsche official reveal said 50kilos, or 110lbs. I don't think we have official numbers on the hybrid system. But maybe he's right on this one..maybe
2- he claims that the weight doesn't affect handling because the car is faster on the nurburgring, which is absurd, because the weight does negatively affect handling and the car is faster on the ring because it has more power. That should be obvious to anyone with half a brain. He uses very tricky wording to lure you down that path of logic. Not cool. Dishonest.
3- The most disingenuous and enviro-apologist claim of all, he claims that Lamba 1 doesn't negatively affect horsepower. That's a preposterous and false claim. I can't even believe he made this point with a straight face. The engine has a 20% bump!!! in displacement and a giant turbo and only makes 5 extra horsepower. And he disguises it very cleverly for those who aren't paying attention by using the combined system's power (including the electric motor) to prove his point. Slimy. Apologist. Dishonest. Not cool. He knows better
Weight and Handling:
To put it in perspective, 50 kilos (110lbs) is roughly equivalent to having an overweight driver or having a 13-year-old passenger in the car, how much will that impact performance? Moreover, the engine mounting is 10 cm lower, which lowers the center of gravity and better handling.

Lambda 1 and Horsepower:
Regarding Lambda 1 and its impact on horsepower, Lambda 1 is about achieving a stoichiometric air-fuel ratio, which optimizes emissions and fuel efficiency without necessarily sacrificing significant horsepower. The 20% bump in displacement with only a 5hp increase can be attributed to various factors, including emission regulations and the integration of the electric motor. Using combined system power to illustrate the overall performance boost is valid and reflects the complexity of modern hybrid systems and emissions standards.

You might be a guy who doesn't even know how to change your own car’s oil. Jason Fenske, has a mechanical engineering degree and years of experience. His analysis is based on real technical knowledge. Calling him "slimy," "apologist," and "dishonest" is ridiculous.
Old 06-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,429 Likes on 723 Posts

This thread is about the GTS but question about the base 992.2. It says it uses the same 3.0l engine but paired with the larger turbo's of the 992.1 Turbo. I assume that means the variable vane turbocharger design previoulsy reserved for the "Turbo"s since the 997 generation now gets introduced to the base 911? I like that thought. Also, the 992.2 base gets the larger intercooler, yet, the intercooler intakes on the lower rear bumper of the base bumpers is gone...so, not needed, never needed before or what?
Old 06-18-2024, 04:27 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Received 667 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by melhechi
Weight and Handling:
To put it in perspective, 50 kilos (110lbs) is roughly equivalent to having an overweight driver or having a 13-year-old passenger in the car, how much will that impact performance? Moreover, the engine mounting is 10 cm lower, which lowers the center of gravity and better handling.
If you think putting the engine 10cm lower equals a nearly 9 second improvement at the ring, then you are wrong. Sorry. It's from the increase in horsepower and torque. I don't understand the point you're making about having a passenger as extra weight. Extra weight is bad and negatively affects lap times which he claims magically didn't happen here. That's a lie.

Lambda 1 and Horsepower:
Regarding Lambda 1 and its impact on horsepower, Lambda 1 is about achieving a stoichiometric air-fuel ratio, which optimizes emissions and fuel efficiency without necessarily sacrificing significant horsepower. The 20% bump in displacement with only a 5hp increase can be attributed to various factors, including emission regulations and the integration of the electric motor. Using combined system power to illustrate the overall performance boost is valid and reflects the complexity of modern hybrid systems and emissions standards.
************************************************** (edited). You clearly don't know what you are talking about. You also contradicted yourself by saying "Including emissions regulation". LMAO...yeah that's what Lambda 1 is!! It's an emissions regulation decreed by the EU. It's not done voluntarily. You will be proven wrong when someone cracks the ECU and unlocks an UNPRECEDENTED amount of horsepower because Lambda 1 is in fact so detrimental to horsepower. You can do all the mental gymnastics you want, but when you increase displacement by 20% and add a larger turbo and lose torque, guess what? The timing table on that motor is probably pure trash. Please see yourself out of the conversation

You might be a guy who doesn't even know how to change your own car’s oil. Jason Fenske, has a mechanical engineering degree and years of experience. His analysis is based on real technical knowledge. Calling him "slimy," "apologist," and "dishonest" is ridiculous.
Wow I might be. Or I might have done 6 or 7 engine swaps in my garage on jack stands. You'll never know. But you are defending bad information based on the fact that you think Jason Fenske is an authority figure. Speaking of which, it's probably time for your 6th booster.

Last edited by siberian; 06-18-2024 at 04:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Billy Bluejay (06-21-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 04:31 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 788 Likes on 392 Posts

I'm enjoying this thread.
Old 06-18-2024, 04:39 PM
Timeless992
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

If you think putting the engine 10cm lower equals a nearly 9 second improvement at the ring, then you are wrong. Sorry. It's from the increase in horsepower and torque. I don't understand the point you're making about having a passenger as extra weight. Extra weight is bad and negatively affects lap times which he claims magically didn't happen here. That's a lie.

Wow I might be. Or I might have done 6 or 7 engine swaps in my garage on jack stands. You'll never know. But you are defending bad information based on the fact that you think Jason Fenske is an authority figure. Speaking of which, it's probably time for your 6th booster.
I think you didn't get his argument, 110 lbs is almost nothing in a car that weighs close to 3600 lbs, and having a lower center of gravity has a lot to do with handling which leads to a better utilization of the power.

Jason is well known and has over 3.8 million followers, which says something about him. I think you need you show some facts before you can discredit him.
Old 06-18-2024, 04:43 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Timeless992
I think you didn't get his argument, 110 lbs is almost nothing in a car that weighs close to 3600 lbs, and having a lower center of gravity has a lot to do with handling which leads to a better utilization of the power.
Go watch the video again. That's not what was said or implied. He floats the idea that the weight didn't negatively impact handling. It's a very dishonest and purposely misleading description and use of words and concepts.

Well Jason is well known and has over 3.8 million followers, which says something about him. I think you need you show some facts before you can discredit him.
I love Jason's videos as well. In this case he put out clearly misleading information, and the story that he decided to tell with the numbers is not representative of the truth. So I'm calling it out. I don't know what facts you want me to produce out of thin air. I'm not gonna whiteboard it for you. Ask one of the tuners to better explain it. How about we make some predictions based on our knowledge of engines and see who ends up being correct?
Old 06-18-2024, 04:43 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Can we limit the "shoving" etc. please.

siberian
The following 4 users liked this post by siberian:
aggie57 (06-18-2024), Fullyield (06-19-2024), Jeff Whitten (06-21-2024), VarTheVar (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 04:44 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 838 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
This thread is about the GTS but question about the base 992.2. It says it uses the same 3.0l engine but paired with the larger turbo's of the 992.1 Turbo. I assume that means the variable vane turbocharger design previoulsy reserved for the "Turbo"s since the 997 generation now gets introduced to the base 911? I like that thought. Also, the 992.2 base gets the larger intercooler, yet, the intercooler intakes on the lower rear bumper of the base bumpers is gone...so, not needed, never needed before or what?
I don't know the answer to the turbos question.
The vents on the sides of the lower rear bumper of the .1 base and .1 S were the air flow exit points for the intercoolers. The air enters from the top engine grill cover which is the same for the .2. The .2 base uses the the old GTS/ Sport Design rear lower diffuser section with one large air exit vent below the license plate area in between the exhaust outlets.

edit: found an image of the 992.1 Turbo S that shows the cooling air flow.

Last edited by rasetsu; 06-18-2024 at 04:56 PM.
Tobeit (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 04:44 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Timeless992

Jason is well known and has over 3.8 million followers, which says something about him. I think you need you show some facts before you can discredit him.

Say that in the Carrera T thread where they worry about 20lbs because it makes such a huge difference. lol.

I've been watching EE videos for many years and he's very knowledgable. That said, everything he stated in the video is technical specifications that Porsche provided (to everyone). It's one thing when it's on paper, but again, would like to see real world battery testing as well as reliability.

Having said that, I don't mind one bit someone mentioning issues with the video. Why not? Maybe they have legitimate concern with something in the video. I would like to hear it for one.
Billy Bluejay (06-21-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 04:49 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Go watch the video again. That's not what was said or implied. He floats the idea that the weight didn't negatively impact handling. It's a very dishonest and purposely misleading description and use of words and concepts.

I love Jason's videos as well. In this case he put out clearly misleading information, and the story that he decided to tell with the numbers is not representative of the truth. So I'm calling it out. I don't know what facts you want me to produce out of thin air. I'm not gonna whiteboard it for you. Ask one of the tuners to better explain it. How about we make some predictions based on our knowledge of engines and see who ends up being correct?
Interesting he said that without even driving the car.
Old 06-18-2024, 04:57 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by siberian
Can we limit the "shoving" etc. please.

siberian
my bad
Old 06-18-2024, 05:03 PM
melhechi
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 91 Posts

************************************************** (edited). You clearly don't know what you are talking about. You also contradicted yourself by saying "Including emissions regulation". LMAO...yeah that's what Lambda 1 is!! It's an emissions regulation decreed by the EU. It's not done voluntarily. You will be proven wrong when someone cracks the ECU and unlocks an UNPRECEDENTED amount of horsepower because Lambda 1 is in fact so detrimental to horsepower. You can do all the mental gymnastics you want, but when you increase displacement by 20% and add a larger turbo and lose torque, guess what? The timing table on that motor is probably pure trash. Please see yourself out of the conversation

I said Lambda 1 optimizes emissions and fuel efficiency. It's not solely about emissions regulation; it's also about achieving the optimal air-fuel ratio for engine performance. I didn’t contradict myself.

Thank you for removing that comment, I understand that I was not intended.

Last edited by melhechi; 06-18-2024 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-18-2024, 05:03 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,429 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by rasetsu
I don't know the answer to the turbos question.
The vents on the sides of the lower rear bumper of the .1 base and .1 S were the air flow exit points for the intercoolers. The air enters from the top engine grill cover which is the same for the .2. The .2 base uses the the old GTS/ Sport Design rear lower diffuser section with one large air exit vent below the license plate area in between the exhaust outlets.
Thx, I always forget about the GTS/SD bumper design. Btw, the air also enters through the side pipes from top, correct? Also, just looking at it it always seems more logical to me that when driving the air gets also pushed into this lower vents and up to the intercooler than other way around...but I guess that what just always throws me off and makes me think of it wrong. Just seems akward that the air has to be pushed forward and down to exit through the sides.

Old 06-18-2024, 05:13 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by melhechi
I said Lambda 1 optimizes emissions and fuel efficiency. It's not solely about emissions regulation; it's also about achieving the optimal air-fuel ratio for engine performance. I didn’t contradict myself, and your pathetic attempt to sound knowledgeable by insulting is others is as weak as your arguments.
I sound knowledgable by sharing actual concepts, not regurgitating what ChatGPT says. BTW ChatGPT is also misleading. Ask any tuner on the planet if Lambda 1 produces more power. IT'S A LIE! You have to nerf your timing to make this work

Can you explain lambda 1 and how it affects horsepower in an internal combustion engine?

ChatGPT
Lambda 1, also known as stoichiometric ratio, refers to the air-fuel mixture ratio in an internal combustion engine where there is exactly enough air to burn all of the fuel completely. In simpler terms, it is the perfect balance between the amount of air and fuel for efficient combustion to occur.

When an engine is running at lambda 1, it means that it is burning fuel efficiently without any excess fuel or oxygen leftover. This optimal ratio is important for achieving maximum power output and fuel efficiency.

In terms of horsepower, running an engine at lambda 1 ensures that the combustion process is clean and complete, leading to maximum power production. Deviating from this ideal ratio can result in decreased power output, poor fuel efficiency, and increased emissions.

Overall, maintaining lambda 1 in an internal combustion engine is crucial for achieving optimal performance, efficiency, and emissions control.

Last edited by VarTheVar; 06-18-2024 at 05:15 PM.

Quick Reply: [Engineering Explained] Porsche's New 911 Engine Is Absolutely Brilliant