Sponsored by:

[Engineering Explained] Porsche's New 911 Engine Is Absolutely Brilliant

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2024, 04:18 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,718 Likes on 5,120 Posts

Putting politics and the environment aside, is it even feasible for Porsche to increase the power of the 911 without hybrid tech of some sort?

They can’t make a bigger engine as it won’t fit.

And they’ve already added turbos.

Serious question for those engineers out there.
The following users liked this post:
rmb1973 (06-16-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 04:32 PM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Received 1,237 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Putting politics and the environment aside, is it even feasible for Porsche to increase the power of the 911 without hybrid tech of some sort?

Tuners get more power out of it, so wouldn’t the answer be yes?
Old 06-16-2024, 05:01 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunky
Spare us the global warming BS and enjoy your golf cart.
Send the big bad fossil fuel industry lecture over to China and India as they certainly have not gotten that memo as of yet while they are devouring the worlds industry with cheap energy.
"We need to cut back". Indeed Dude, I remember when we were guranteed to be entering an Ice Age during the 70s and the Peanut Farmer fed us that crap.
LOL wake up dude, China is cranking out electric stuff like no other.

I didn't attempt to make any judgements or shame anyone. I am just as much an ICE enthusiast as anyone. I built my first small block v8 as a teenager and I enjoy wrenching as a hobby. I just choose to live in reality.

Last edited by Mike818; 06-16-2024 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-16-2024, 05:48 PM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

Received 769 Likes on 365 Posts

Just got home from fishing and read this entire thread; almost as entertaining as fishing but not quite as peaceful. It seems to me that a car can be better and faster yet actually less desirable. That's the .2 for me, full stop. Those wringing their hands wanting everybody to share their enthusiasm for electricity and evolution don't seem to appreciate this.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vicbastige:
BondJ (06-16-2024), elvisdoc (06-16-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 05:53 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vicbastige
Just got home from fishing and read this entire thread; almost as entertaining as fishing but not quite as peaceful. It seems to me that a car can be better and faster yet actually less desirable. That's the .2 for me, full stop. Those wringing their hands wanting everybody to share their enthusiasm for electricity and evolution don't seem to appreciate this.
I feel exactly the same way about the PDK, I honestly don't even know what automatic drivers are complaining about. It's practically the same thing as driving an EV already, push pedal, car goes fast.

Old 06-16-2024, 06:16 PM
BondJ
Pro

Received 341 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Vicbastige
Bang on. End thread
Old 06-16-2024, 06:28 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 757 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

They started doing it in the 991.1 . They offered a power kit , They could have built a more efficient and slightly larger NA engine as we have seen them do with GT cars . They had to stop . Thats when "all turbo" happened . At least Porsche had experience with street useful turbo engines so it wasn't as complicated as this hybrid street car . Sure we saw cars like the 911R and Gt cars but the street cars for the masses began its decent . We all bought them but there comes a point when it's over done , Even Porsche knows it , VW tried cheating with diesel . It created a mess , Their hands are tied now . One day , just like with diesel and no one talks about it , One day EV will be in the past but until then we are screwed with our beloved cars .

Some people on this thread dont see that the EU politicians told them to go to hell in such a way that they are actually looking forward to the trip.

Last edited by yrralis1; 06-16-2024 at 06:29 PM.
elvisdoc (06-16-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 06:29 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

If you want to make it stop we all have to do our part to nudge it off the rails.
Old 06-16-2024, 06:37 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 72 Posts

I’m on my 8th 911. If the S is a non-hybrid and offered in a manual, I’ll get it. Otherwise I’ll keep what I have and possible look into the back catalogue. It’s all good, but let me say what’s disappointing. Porsche is first and foremost an engineering company, a solutions firm. This offering is a step forward, but not the breakthrough solution many of us were hoping for. Maybe they’re on to something with the eTurbo, but they need to get the weight down, offer a manual and fix the terrible front aero…
Old 06-16-2024, 06:51 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Brad Stinson
So getting back on topic - lots of assumption in this thread that there are significant positive environmental impact advantages to this new power plant, and thus that “the man” was behind this design change rather than Porsche looking at ways to improve performance. Does anyone have actual data on that? We know the 992.1 engine was at Lamba 1 99% of the time and people often get 30mpg on the hwy, so… What is the increase in MPG? What is the reduction in emissions?
The new car has to always be faster . They know the end game is EV . We are being weaned off . They told us . https://www.porsche.com/internationa...the%20vehicles.

Quote -
The electric drive is a double blessing. It will enable Porsche to meet more stringent consumption and emission standards in the future. At the same time, it significantly improves the performance of the vehicles.

They are warning us .https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2022...ort-27739.html

They keep telling us ..https://newsroom.porsche.com/en_US/2...ort-35500.html
Quote --
With a view to the transformation in society and the long-term trends in customer demand, Porsche is driving forward the ramp-up of e-mobility with the same dedication as ever. The all-electric 718 is planned for the middle of the decade. It will be followed by the all-electric Cayenne. Porsche is also planning to expand its product portfolio upwards – with an all-electric SUV, positioned above the Cayenne

The Macan was the first sacrificial lamb and they clung to it but haven't redesigned it , The 718 is next , Then the Cayenne , Three re trying everything to protect the 911 but they had to say "hey we built one " .
Its that serious that they picked "the sweet spot" to do it ,

They did it so gradually that it practically feels like a soft landing .
Old 06-16-2024, 06:57 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
I’m on my 8th 911. If the S is a non-hybrid and offered in a manual, I’ll get it. Otherwise I’ll keep what I have and possible look into the back catalogue. It’s all good, but let me say what’s disappointing. Porsche is first and foremost an engineering company, a solutions firm. This offering is a step forward, but not the breakthrough solution many of us were hoping for. Maybe they’re on to something with the eTurbo, but they need to get the weight down, offer a manual and fix the terrible front aero…
I kept one of my two 911's . It was hard to let the GTS go . The money is on the sidelines . Lets se whats ahead . It's not over . I did have my heart set on the GTS but it's not happening . I almost took the base but I know I want more ., I bought a CPO Base Macan retired service loaner while I wait . even though my wife drives a Macan GTS at least I dont have to ask to borrow it every day while I wait . It's my first SUV that I ever had which is not hers . It's been different . I still park further from the parking curb to protect my bumper .

We'll see how it goes ,. Turbo and Gt cars are not out yet .
elvisdoc (06-16-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 07:40 PM
Hunky
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike818
LOL wake up dude, China is cranking out electric stuff like no other.

I didn't attempt to make any judgements or shame anyone. I am just as much an ICE enthusiast as anyone. I built my first small block v8 as a teenager and I enjoy wrenching as a hobby. I just choose to live in reality.
Exactly and they are fueling their industrial engine with coal. China opens a new coal burning power plant every week with 300 more currently under construction.
Your "reality" is what you would like it to be but rooted in fossil fuels whether you know it or not.

Last edited by Hunky; 06-16-2024 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-16-2024, 07:43 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Exactly and they are fueling their industrial engine with coal. China opens a new coal burning power plant every week with 300 more currently under construction.
Your "reality" is what you would like it to be but rooted in fossil fuels whether you know it or not.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power_by_country

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_power_by_country
Sharknaydo (06-16-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 09:36 PM
Sharknaydo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Spare us the global warming BS and enjoy your golf cart.
Send the big bad fossil fuel industry lecture over to China and India as they certainly have not gotten that memo as of yet while they are devouring the worlds industry with cheap energy.
"We need to cut back". Indeed Dude, I remember when we were guranteed to be entering an Ice Age during the 70s and the Peanut Farmer fed us that crap.
Sounds like somebody pee'd in your Cheerios this morning!!

Whether you like it or not Mike818 is spot on.
Old 06-16-2024, 09:41 PM
Jeff Whitten
Rennlist Member

Received 698 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by BondJ
Bang on. End thread
We should be so lucky, but this thread is like the Energizer Bunny and keeps going….Maybe lose it’s steam when people have made their same opinion point for the 2nd and 3rd time. 😉

Quick Reply: [Engineering Explained] Porsche's New 911 Engine Is Absolutely Brilliant