Sponsored by:

[Engineering Explained] Porsche's New 911 Engine Is Absolutely Brilliant

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2024, 07:59 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 759 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Important precision here, it is still a standard turbo in the sense where there is a mechanical shaft that connects the exhaust turbine and intake compressor. The particularity resides in an electric motor/generator that can either slow down the shaft to recuperate exhaust energy or accelerate the shaft to increase boost.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a6...ngine-details/

There is no need for a starter or generator, as the transmission-mounted 54-hp motor performs both functions. With vastly more power than a typical starter, the new GTS springs to life the instant the starter is engaged.
it's likely that little over half of this capacity, on the order of 1.1 kilowatt-hours, is used to promote long battery life. The battery has its own liquid cooling system to keep its temperature below 108 degrees Fahrenheit

he water pump has been moved inside the engine
I am sure this will be engineering excellence. But if something breaks, I would not want to be in the deal waiting room to hear the bill. The sticker shock would be shattering.

he motor-generator fitted to the eight-speed PDK gearbox. The eight-speed transmission arrays its gears on four shafts rather than two, making it more compact, front-to-rear, and leaving space for this e-motor
Thus --
DIFFERENT PDK

And fire, we all know about the lithium fires,
ince a hybrid such as this GTS is constantly adding and withdrawing energy from this battery—much more often than a PHEV and vastly more often than a pure BEV—it's likely that little over half of this capacity, on the order of 1.1 kilowatt-hours, is used to promote long battery life. The battery has its own liquid cooling system to keep its temperature below 108 degrees Fahrenheit.

Dont even think of the cost if this thing dies.

You do realize that all of this was a work around for a bigger NA engine brought on by the EU .. Porsche was heading in that direction in the 991.1 (power kit ) . NA engines scream and make you crave the upper range which is useful on the track or autocross but not as much on the street .

​​​​​​​The hybrid will be much faster but the repair bill will cream the owner out of warranty and the complexity might just place him in a loaner more than he expected when it was covered .

​​​​​​​Maybe I should have accepted that base car slot but we still dont know what the S , Turbo, and Gt cars are going to be . Thats what led me to just wait .

Old 06-15-2024, 08:09 AM
Timeless992
Banned

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JohsonChou
I lost a lot of trust on this guy on his brake pad video which is basically an ad. That video is absolutely disgusting and he try to hide the fact that he is just being paid to promote a brand.

A while ago he also talked about how great PSCB is, and I have first hand experience on that and PSCB absolutely sucks. It squeal like crazy way more than PCCB and it is so expensive to replace making it cheaper to replace the entire system to steel brake.

Right now I just take his video as an entertainment, like any YouTube video. He like any other YouTuber would say whatever to get views.
I watched that video, and he never once mentioned anything about the brakes squealing. Instead, he focused on the composition, braking power, dust, and cost. If you knew PSCB was more expensive to replace, why did you choose to buy them? He clearly stated the cost is five times more than steel brakes but three times less than PCCB.

As for the accusation that he's being paid to promote the brand, it's important to recognize that many content creators do receive sponsorships. However, this doesn't automatically discredit their reviews. In this video, he transparently discussed both the pros and cons of the brake pads, which shows a balanced perspective rather than just a promotional pitch.

It seems like you're defending your poor judgment by blaming someone else and dismissing his entire body of work because you disagree.
The following users liked this post:
ap2danyo (06-19-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 08:44 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,358 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a6...ngine-details/

There is no need for a starter or generator, as the transmission-mounted 54-hp motor performs both functions. With vastly more power than a typical starter, the new GTS springs to life the instant the starter is engaged.
it's likely that little over half of this capacity, on the order of 1.1 kilowatt-hours, is used to promote long battery life. The battery has its own liquid cooling system to keep its temperature below 108 degrees Fahrenheit

he water pump has been moved inside the engine
I am sure this will be engineering excellence. But if something breaks, I would not want to be in the deal waiting room to hear the bill. The sticker shock would be shattering.

he motor-generator fitted to the eight-speed PDK gearbox. The eight-speed transmission arrays its gears on four shafts rather than two, making it more compact, front-to-rear, and leaving space for this e-motor
Thus --
DIFFERENT PDK

And fire, we all know about the lithium fires,
ince a hybrid such as this GTS is constantly adding and withdrawing energy from this battery—much more often than a PHEV and vastly more often than a pure BEV—it's likely that little over half of this capacity, on the order of 1.1 kilowatt-hours, is used to promote long battery life. The battery has its own liquid cooling system to keep its temperature below 108 degrees Fahrenheit.

Dont even think of the cost if this thing dies.

You do realize that all of this was a work around for a bigger NA engine brought on by the EU .. Porsche was heading in that direction in the 991.1 (power kit ) . NA engines scream and make you crave the upper range which is useful on the track or autocross but not as much on the street .

​​​​​​​The hybrid will be much faster but the repair bill will cream the owner out of warranty and the complexity might just place him in a loaner more than he expected when it was covered .

​​​​​​​Maybe I should have accepted that base car slot but we still dont know what the S , Turbo, and Gt cars are going to be . Thats what led me to just wait .
And that answers my post how?
Old 06-15-2024, 08:52 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JohsonChou
I lost a lot of trust on this guy on his brake pad video which is basically an ad. That video is absolutely disgusting and he try to hide the fact that he is just being paid to promote a brand.

A while ago he also talked about how great PSCB is, and I have first hand experience on that and PSCB absolutely sucks. It squeal like crazy way more than PCCB and it is so expensive to replace making it cheaper to replace the entire system to steel brake.

Right now I just take his video as an entertainment, like any YouTube video. He like any other YouTuber would say whatever to get views.
I am also unimpressed by this chap. As an engineer myself, I find he sometimes makes blatant mistakes or misinterpretations. He is however very good at vulgarizing engineering for the masses, and I guess that is why his videos are popular.
dchang81 (06-18-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 08:54 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

And that answers my post how?
You stated that it was "precision" and centered solely on the turbo but it takes the a reorganizing of the entire system to make it happen .
Old 06-15-2024, 09:19 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

You stated that it was "precision" and centered solely on the turbo but it takes the a reorganizing of the entire system to make it happen .
Nope never said that.

I simply replied to your comment that the “Turbo is electric, not using exhaust”, which is inaccurate.
Old 06-15-2024, 09:36 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,620 Likes on 820 Posts

After watching this video, I have to admit that I have a new admiration for this new engine for the 992.2 GTS.

However, ultimately we will have to see how it performs in real life and how reliable it is.

I disagree with Ipse, though, that “every Porsche sounds like sh*t.” I reserve that label for things like Subaru 4 poppers with fart-cans in the back. Does the flat six sound amazing? No. But even with the stock exhaust, I enjoyed very much how my 992 sounded when I got on the throttle. Proper pleasing sports car sound.

It’s actually possible that this new hybrid flat six will sound better because it has one turbo instead of two. My only concern is if Americans will get stuck with the OPF filter.

Also, aftermarket exhaust makers have their work cut out for them with this engine.
Old 06-15-2024, 09:37 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Nope never said that.

I simply replied to your comment that the “Turbo is electric, not using exhaust”, which is inaccurate.
Thats not exactly it . It is electric .

I quoted the source .https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a6...ngine-details/

Quote -- Instead of the twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter 9A2B6 used on the 992.1, the 992.2 GTS gets an 9A3B6 engine that displaces 3.6 liters; uses a single, electrically enhanced turbocharger; and is supplemented by a powerful electric motor-generator that shares the housing of the eight-speed PDK transmission—all operating on a 400-volt electrical system.

The exhaust is "fed" to the turbo
Quote --
​​​This single electric turbo is larger than each of the old twin turbos, which were placed on either side of the engine. So Porsche engineers positioned the big turbo on the engine's right and used a crossover manifold from the engine's left bank of cylinders to feed exhaust gas to the turbo. The Turbo and its manifolding together weigh about 60 pounds, which is the same as the old twin-turbos weighed with their manifolds. exhaust is "fed": to the turbo.

Last edited by yrralis1; 06-15-2024 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-15-2024, 10:02 AM
adm63
Pro

Received 914 Likes on 334 Posts

Sounds like the engineers did their job, the goal was lambda = 1, apparently they were already close to that goal with the 3.0tt. Seems like if you have no problem with the current 3.0tt motor then there's not much to dislike about this new one, even if my lizard brain finds going from symmetrical twin turbo to asymmetrical single turbo to be a strange packaging choice.
Old 06-15-2024, 10:24 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by adm63
Sounds like the engineers did their job, the goal was lambda = 1, apparently they were already close to that goal with the 3.0tt. Seems like if you have no problem with the current 3.0tt motor then there's not much to dislike about this new one, even if my lizard brain finds going from symmetrical twin turbo to asymmetrical single turbo to be a strange packaging choice.
The EU mandate was lambda=1 , Porsche didnt magically arrive at this . Technically they can get more power out of the engine but it would fail emissions . Tuners will learn the engine .
Old 06-15-2024, 10:35 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Thats not exactly it . It is electric .

I quoted the source .https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a6...ngine-details/

Quote -- Instead of the twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter 9A2B6 used on the 992.1, the 992.2 GTS gets an 9A3B6 engine that displaces 3.6 liters; uses a single, electrically enhanced turbocharger; and is supplemented by a powerful electric motor-generator that shares the housing of the eight-speed PDK transmission—all operating on a 400-volt electrical system.

The exhaust is "fed" to the turbo
Quote --
​​​This single electric turbo is larger than each of the old twin turbos, which were placed on either side of the engine. So Porsche engineers positioned the big turbo on the engine's right and used a crossover manifold from the engine's left bank of cylinders to feed exhaust gas to the turbo. The Turbo and its manifolding together weigh about 60 pounds, which is the same as the old twin-turbos weighed with their manifolds. exhaust is "fed": to the turbo.
You should read up a bit more. There is nothing in what you quote that contradicts what I am saying, quite the contrary. As I posted earlier, the exhaust turbine and intake compressor are still directly connected by a mechanical shaft. The exhaust gases still mechanically compress the intake charge as is the case in a traditional turbo charger. The electric motor/generator simply adds or removes energy from the rotor depending on the operating conditions. See image below.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 06-15-2024 at 10:41 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by CanAutM3:
Jeff Whitten (06-15-2024), PSPorsche (06-15-2024), rasetsu (06-15-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 12:25 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 194 Posts

damn 11kw is no joke. It's kinda like a micro APU from an aircraft. If you got rid of the engine stuck in the middle of the whole thing.
AlexCeres (06-15-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 12:35 PM
Hunky
Racer

Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts

You should read up a bit more. There is nothing in what you quote that contradicts what I am saying, quite the contrary. As I posted earlier, the exhaust turbine and intake compressor are still directly connected by a mechanical shaft. The exhaust gases still mechanically compress the intake charge as is the case in a traditional turbo charger. The electric motor/generator simply adds or removes energy from the rotor depending on the operating conditions. See image below.

Damn, this is cool. Excellent cut away view. Thanks for posting, very easy to understand with this pic.
Old 06-15-2024, 01:57 PM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Received 689 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by johnohara
It's not the "technology" it's the new system. The PDK coupled Electric Motor, the E-Turbo, the 400v system. the software that runs the system and the lack of soak time to mature all of the above.

In short, The idea will be fine, but this is a complex piece of software. and the new parts plus the system need to mature. How long ? My guess, probably 2 model years, not 1 and definitely not 0.

If you buy the new 2025 GTS I absolutely predict you will drive a loaner more than I do in my 2023 992.1 GTS.

I learned my lesson with the BMW N63 ... Never buy the first year or two of a big change
what are you on about? the test mules did over 3 million miles.
user 999993337 (06-15-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 02:08 PM
TheGeneral
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunky
If this mild hybrid is anything like the 4.4L BMW TT mild hybrid V8 then I am all in on this one. The jump from the M50i to the M60i(S68) is very significant and exceptionally strong even in a 5,300 lb X6.
I purchased an X5 M60i as a daily late last year. It is scary fast.

Quick Reply: [Engineering Explained] Porsche's New 911 Engine Is Absolutely Brilliant