Sponsored by:

[Engineering Explained] Porsche's New 911 Engine Is Absolutely Brilliant

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2024, 08:58 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,819 Likes on 1,488 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunky
You really think so? You could be right but I'm hoping not. Aren't they going to be crazy heavy? I'm guessing that the exterior styling will be impressive.
Yes, I do. Having driven a performance oriented EV sedan for the last couple of years the thought of an EV power train combined with Porsche sports car dynamics is compelling. Sure weight is an issue for all EV's but I'm thinking there's no need for a sports car to have a huge range in which case they can drop the battery size down and reduce the weight, and also locate the battery pack nice and central in the chassis.

Of course these are just my idle thoughts, but if anyone can do a decent EV sports car then I'm thinking that'd be Porsche.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (06-20-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 09:04 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,287 Likes on 602 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Yes, I do. Having driven a performance oriented EV sedan for the last couple of years the thought of an EV power train combined with Porsche sports car dynamics is compelling. Sure weight is an issue for all EV's but I'm thinking there's no need for a sports car to have a huge range in which case they can drop the battery size down and reduce the weight, and also locate the battery pack nice and central in the chassis.

Of course these are just my idle thoughts, but if anyone can do a decent EV sports car then I'm thinking that'd be Porsche.
I think the contrary. A sports car needs significant energy reserves, not for range but for sporty driving, which is not very energy efficient.

Most extreme correlation is track driving. I don’t know of any electric car that can do more than one session without losing power.

The day of the sports car EV may come at some point, but we’re not there yet.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 06-19-2024 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-19-2024, 09:43 PM
Brad Stinson
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 60 Posts

It’ll be interesting to see how it stacks up performance wise to the 911. Seems like it puts Porsche in a weird spot - on one hand we’d all expect a Porsche EV sports car to out perform a pedestrian EV sedan like the Model 3, but if they do that, it’ll be faster than most of the 911 range. I suspect with the ultra-low CG and distributed weight, it’s going to handle amazingly well.
Old 06-19-2024, 09:45 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
I think the contrary. A sports car needs significant energy reserves, not for range but for sporty driving, which is not very energy efficient.

Most extreme correlation is track driving. I don’t know of any electric car that can do more than one session without losing power.

The day of the sports car EV may come at some point, but we’re not there yet.
For track use I tend to agree, even my 911 will only do 2 sessions on a tank. I'm just not sure that's what we're talking about here.
Old 06-19-2024, 09:53 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

For track use I tend to agree, even my 911 will only do 2 sessions on a tank. I'm just not sure that's what we're talking about here.
As the tank empties, the ICE gains performance as it drops weight while the EV loses performance due to reduced battery charge. Further, the ICE needs just a few minutes to fill up, not so for the EV where you’ll likely gave to skip the next session.

But that is beside my main point. An EV sports car still needs a high capacity battery, not for range but for sustained enthusiastic driving. There is little interest for me in driving a sports car in “Eco” mode.
Old 06-19-2024, 09:58 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
As the tank empties, the ICE gains performance as it drops weight while the EV loses performance due to reduced battery charge. Further, the ICE needs just a few minutes to fill up, not so for the EV where you’ll likely gave to skip the next session.

But that is beside my main point. An EV sports car still needs a high capacity battery, not for range but for sustained enthusiastic driving. There is little interest for me in driving a sports car in “Eco” mode.
Lets just wait and see what they dish up and in the meantime respect each others point of view .
Old 06-19-2024, 10:00 PM
PSPorsche
Pro

Received 415 Likes on 250 Posts

Porsche has been researching materials to make lighter chassis to offset the weight of the batteries.

For example, consider the Mission-R:

"The body of the Mission R features plastic body panels reinforced with either carbon fiber or natural fiber (sourced from flax plants), wrapped around a carbon fiber cage.” (From Wikipedia)

aggie57 (06-20-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 11:01 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,355 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Originally Posted by Ikone
LOL.

No.
Explain to me then, how this rennlist outrage is different from every other time porsche changed the 911. I don’t see the difference, but maybe I’m missing the nuance of the outrage.

Last edited by UncleDude; 06-19-2024 at 11:03 PM.
AlexCeres (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 11:09 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 807 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Explain to me then, how this rennlist outrage is different from every other time porsche changed the 911. I don’t see the difference, but maybe I’m missing the nuance of the outrage.
Sure. No problem. Hit me up in a couple of years.
Old 06-19-2024, 11:59 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,018 Posts

but this time there are electrons! Electrons! Is nothing sacred to you! To the fainting couch!
UncleDude (06-20-2024)
Old 06-20-2024, 12:42 AM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,355 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
but this time there are electrons! Electrons! Is nothing sacred to you! To the fainting couch!
the sons of bitches made it faster too!
AlexCeres (06-21-2024)
Old 06-20-2024, 01:38 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,509 Likes on 5,046 Posts

I do not have high hopes for Cayman EV.

And I say this as someone who really enjoys tracking the Taycan and look forward to my track day with the Ioniq 5N
Old 06-20-2024, 09:04 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 751 Likes on 326 Posts

Me too. When the EV Cayman arrives our 911's will feel ancient overnight.
Boxster/Cayman were mid engine roadsters . Now it's a golf cart .
Old 06-20-2024, 09:12 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 751 Likes on 326 Posts

It's worse this time . This time it's real. There is plausible support that :

1) Its a very complex engine
2) maintenance cost can become astounding out of warranty
3) is set to evolve fast and is heading towards full EV as the end game .
4) will depreciatie like a falling rock
5) is the biggest departure from the roots of a 911

Lots of oddities too -- It wasn't even released in the usual sequence . In fact it's the first GTS that not released in carmine which is the classic GTS promo color further differentiating it . Note EV Macan for example no longer offer carmine . This could one next . Suddently guards red is 1500 when for decades it wa free .It's their way of getting rid of it . Will, the last Gt silver buyer place turn off the Porsche light . Can hardly wait for the frozen milkshake colors or the PTS Exorcist scene puke green (probably a 30K ADM ) .
Old 06-20-2024, 10:08 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by yrralis1
It's worse this time . This time it's real. There is plausible support that :

1) Its a very complex engine
2) maintenance cost can become astounding out of warranty
3) is set to evolve fast and is heading towards full EV as the end game .
4) will depreciatie like a falling rock
5) is the biggest departure from the roots of a 911

Lots of oddities too -- It wasn't even released in the usual sequence . In fact it's the first GTS that not released in carmine which is the classic GTS promo color further differentiating it . Note EV Macan for example no longer offer carmine . This could one next . Suddently guards red is 1500 when for decades it wa free .It's their way of getting rid of it . Will, the last Gt silver buyer place turn off the Porsche light . Can hardly wait for the frozen milkshake colors or the PTS Exorcist scene puke green (probably a 30K ADM ) .
From the press release, 2 of the 3 cars are red (base Carrera and Targa GTS):

Quick Reply: [Engineering Explained] Porsche's New 911 Engine Is Absolutely Brilliant