Sponsored by:

New Nick Murray Video - S vs GTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2022, 04:50 PM
Pivot
Burning Brakes

Received 1,640 Likes on 601 Posts

This is sooo funny to read…

I currently ride 718 Boxster, while I am waiting for a 992 S allocation. In fact been waiting for the S for 13 months already, so I went to a dealer to place an order for 992 GTS, hoping for faster allocation.

I have been told that GTS will not be any faster, but so it happens that a T was launched so I placed an order for a T.

I am willing to go one up or one down in the range to get the build allocation, but I still want an S, as it gives me the motor I want and I am not force-fed with options that I don’t care about.

Last edited by Pivot; 12-23-2022 at 04:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tupper (12-23-2022)
Old 12-23-2022, 05:16 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

How many people really had a choice?

Did anyone sit down with their dealer and was offered both an S and GTS and made the choice from there? I bet choice has nothing to do with it for a lot of people.

Bottom line, the GTS is the highest model in the Carrera range. Porsche intended it that way. They have priced and marketed it that way. Historically, the GTS has stronger resale value and has been a more desirable car in the preowned market. Everything else is subjective.

The following 5 users liked this post by rk-d:
CanAutM3 (12-23-2022), Mmade992 (12-23-2022), shrimp money (12-23-2022), srf409 (12-23-2022), Staffie Guy (12-23-2022)
Old 12-23-2022, 07:30 PM
APEX GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts

Wow. This got ugly…

Nick is definitely enjoying this. Merry Christmas Mr. Murray!

I’m going on my third 911 in 5 years.
Had a 991.2.. then I just traded in a 992 Base C2 (with Stage 2 Tune and Sport Cats) for a 992 GTS 2 months ago.

I happily gave up my Base 992 car for the GTS for a number of reasons. Some of these are subjective… well actually ALL are subjective when it comes to a Porsche because you can choose what you want and that’s what matters the most. Everyone can opine for what’s most important to them but in the big picture, none of it matters.

RennList & YouTuber’s are providing subjective options.

Here’s my SUBJECTIVE reasons for the GTS:

“Bio: i’m 39 and have owned about 30 cars in my life. Majority have been performance cars and a majority of those have been tuned with aftermarket products.”

- A tuned base 992 provides a level of stress and anxiety with random check engine lights and performance that doesn’t marry to the PDK transmission perfectly. GTS WIN

- any type of modification to the catalytic converter‘s causes smells and a raspy exhaust sound that takes away from the flat six wailing sound of a 911. GTS WIN

- Porsche engineers are able to build something that is the “sum of all parts”. It’s something that no aftermarket provider can ever do. They take into consideration every tactile piece of the car combine with fit and finish and a driving experience. If you mess with it at any point in that equation the car seems off. There’s no other way to explain it other than messing with a Rembrandt painting.
GTS WIN

- no matter what I say there will be someone that will disagree. And that’s OK because it’s based off the reasons for owning the car. If you want to go to a track and beat the hell out of your car then by all means modify it to no end. Finding a car that provides the best amount of customization (leather, race-Tex,Targa,930Leather) that everyone wants really provides value. GTS WIN

- A vehicle that is topical. A car that is polarizing and at the same time very bespoke. this thread alone proves it. GTS WIN

- Previous car was a 800 hp Mercedes AMG sedan. Traveled 0-60 in 2.7 seconds. Acceleration, break, acceleration, break. That’s all it was. That’s why I came back to Porsche. The GTS provides enough performance to be faster then 90% but can also ride out the rpm band - but it’s not overkill like a turbo or turbo S. It’s a perfect amount of power for a car North America from the factory. GTS WIN

- Ability to own a car with racetex as the first time owner. Yes racetex doesn’t hold up as good as leather but if you the first time owner you control the wear and tear. You’re the one that’s going to enjoy it. There’s zero doubt in anyone’s mind that race text provides more grip and makes the car feel a bit more unique. When it comes to the second and third owner, who really cares. GTS WIN

- The GTS is a model that comes towards the end of the model… generally before a refresh. Not many people have the opportunity to own a 911, never mind a new one. To get a car that’s not only proven reliable but has a style that has been refined and recognized, it’s perfect. Brand new models come with build quality issues, production quirks, and a polarizing opinion on style. GTS WIN

- GTS resell value. GTS WIN

Here is GTS I’m waiting for… the stress... still hanging at at Emden waiting to travel on Santa’s SIEM Vessel.

Last edited by APEX GT3; 12-23-2022 at 08:19 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by APEX GT3:
911dude41 (12-24-2022), chance6 (12-23-2022), El Edmundo (12-24-2022), Greg1no (12-24-2022), johny221 (12-23-2022)
Old 12-23-2022, 08:02 PM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
Well, the difference in hp between a base and an S is about double the difference in hp between the S and GTS. Plus, the S and GTS have the exact same engine and turbo sizes, but just tuned differently. I can tune a base and my power is limited by turbo size.

However, I can tune an S to almost 600 hp because of its larger turbos. A GTS can similarly be tuned, but you can’t get it higher because, again, same engine as an S.

I agree somewhat with the argument that the GTS is a “parts bin special”. The S actually gives you a different engine—I’m talking hardware—than a base. That is substantial
The base, S and GTS all have the same engine. The difference is the turbos only, correct?
Old 12-23-2022, 08:06 PM
APEX GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by breny4104
The base, S and GTS all have the same engine. The difference is the turbos only, correct?
Yes. Same 3.0
just turbos:

base vs s = turbo size (and S gets LSD)
s vs gts = boost tuning

And also..
gts vs base/s = gts has turbo suspension, brakes, wheels, rarity, availability of bespoke interior options, additional bundle pricing discounts unique to gts

Last edited by APEX GT3; 12-23-2022 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-23-2022, 08:38 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,062 Likes on 2,030 Posts

We all know that base owners couldn’t afford an S, S owners couldn’t afford a GTS, GTS owners couldn’t afford a GT3, GT3 owners couldn’t afford a 3RS.
The following 2 users liked this post by shrimp money:
Drew46 (12-23-2022), pkalhan (12-24-2022)
Old 12-23-2022, 09:06 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,499 Likes on 961 Posts

Originally Posted by pelucidor
I notice the S has 4750 miles on it and the GTS is at 474 miles - might have effected power a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvapkpuH6f0
It would be a cold day in Hell before I give my pre-broken in GTS to a Kiwi like Nick Murray. lmao
Old 12-23-2022, 09:10 PM
chance6
Race Car

Originally Posted by GeneTakovic
I haven’t watched the video yet but I’ve noticed Nick loves to trash the GTS model in former videos.

Edit: Just watched it. He concludes the GTS is one of his favorites, but I’m not sure how he gets there given all of his criticisms.
All of a sudden after this video he concludes the GTS is 'one of his favorites', after years of trashing the car. Unbelievable. And he didn't even take it to the track!
Old 12-23-2022, 09:22 PM
chance6
Race Car

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
My $0.02 . . . . . . I wouldn't mind the "GTS" Power Increase (+2 PSI) as an option on an "S". However, for the street (ie real world), the rough, yet not ready for prime time, track duty suspension of the "GTS" seems like the choice of and for fledgling wannabe masochists. Punishment on the street, without what's really needed for serious track use.
Masochist here- the only GTS to truly get is the full monty committed 7-speed manual and lightweight package with buckets, PCCB, and carbon roof with Centerlocks. Take that, Carrera S! You'll never match up.
Old 12-23-2022, 09:39 PM
chance6
Race Car

Originally Posted by kaylie
the badge ***** theory
The pricing structure is there for a reason...the GTS is a superior car to the S, Turbo S is superior to the base Turbo, and so on. You get what you pay for folks-
Old 12-23-2022, 09:45 PM
chance6
Race Car

Originally Posted by Jturner78
His vids bring very little value to the community. . . .I've watched 2 of his vids waste of my valuable time same garbage in both I won't bother anymore. I know the head car tester for road and track who actually helped me select the trim and configuration so I'm probably going to stick with the experts then this windbag. . . BTW I had every intent to order a turbo S but my guy told me not to so I trust the guy who drives priceless, pre-production and multi million $ cars on a regular basis. . .

Also more importantly, can Nick actually afford any of them . . .I doubt it. . .
Yikes. "my guy" told you not to order a Turbo S? Pray tell, what does 'your guy' say about that horrible car? ha ha
Old 12-23-2022, 09:58 PM
chance6
Race Car

Originally Posted by A418t81
Lots of ridiculous comments and appendage measuring in this thread. The GTS has always been amazing model, and one that I think is special. I was a huge fan of the 991.2 GTS which I felt was the best 991 model and one that I personally owned for 2.5 years. For the 992 generation, the standard car was elevated quite a bit and I didn't feel that the slight differences warranted the price disparity but I am sure it is still a special car. It is diluted compared to the 991 which shared the GT3's intermediate widebody, had its own turbos, etc. I'm happy with my S this time around, and would be equally happy with a similarly specced GTS as well.
I had a 991.1 GTS for 3 years...great car with real mechanical changes vs. the C2S. Hotter cams and the car was faster on the road, and I know because I had a 991.1 C2S that I also liked. But...GTS was better.
The 991.2 GTS took it to a different level of speed, a big jump up.
Now a 992 C2S is basically equivalent in speed to a 991.2 GTS. It's a winner.
992 GTS elevates even more- according to Dr. Frank Walliser, and I trust his opinion.

Also- even going back to the 997 GTS - they said 'the GTS is greater than the sum of its parts"- and for every Gen of GTS that is a stone cold fact. Take that, Nick!

Last edited by chance6; 12-23-2022 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-23-2022, 10:07 PM
chance6
Race Car

Originally Posted by rk-d
I'm enjoying reading this thread, but it is weird as hell to be honest.
I love it! Maybe it's Covid brain? The stock market? People are drinking/smoking crack?
Old 12-24-2022, 01:37 AM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,880 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Originally Posted by minn19

I’ll go through this decision next year when my GTS 4 allocation finally comes up. It’ll be interesting to see what my 21 C4S is worth trade in wise and what my dealer wants for the GTS etc. Right now they are at MSRP plus the worthless watch and PPF.
Curious. They're asking you to order the exclusive clock and do a full ppf for the GTS4? That's a sweet deal!
Old 12-24-2022, 02:14 AM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Shogunade
Curious. They're asking you to order the exclusive clock and do a full ppf for the GTS4? That's a sweet deal!
Yes, the full PPF doesn’t bother me so much as I’d probably do it anyway. The useless watch I’d rather donate 5k to a charity of their or my choice as I’ll never wear it/toss it in a drawer.

It was a sweet deal except the market is rapidly changing and who knows what they’d give me for my car, which will probably be the biggest factor. Honestly, the only reason I really want to do it is I’ve never custom ordered/built a car and would like to do it once. I really don’t think the driving experience is that massively different between the two. Maybe it is, who knows until I do it/experience it for myself.

Quick Reply: New Nick Murray Video - S vs GTS