New Nick Murray Video - S vs GTS

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 10:45 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,647 Likes on 778 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Agreed, every time.

And I reckon if we put our P2's up against my manual 992 the P2 would get to 60mph consistently quicker even though on paper the 992S mit manual is .1 second faster.

Actually not consistently. For the first pull, yes. After that the EVs dial in their power. Not that it matters since few of us are doing repeated back to back launches.
Old 01-23-2023, 10:49 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by aggie57
Agreed, every time.

And I reckon if we put our P2's up against my manual 992 the P2 would get to 60mph consistently quicker even though on paper the 992S mit manual is .1 second faster.
Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
I always thought the whole “launch control” thing, to get the best times, was so artificial…anyway. Does anybody actually do that from a stop light? 🥱

Prefer the EV way, of just mashing the accelerator peddle and away you go. Zoom. ⏩
I enjoy "launching" the car and do it all the time. From a stoplight, almost never. But on an empty road with enough room in front of me, quite frequently. And that's what love about it over the similar system in my M5. if you decide you want to launch, it is brake, gas, go. Maybe you have to spin the dial if you are not already in SPlus. On the M5, it was. a multi-step process and the opportunity usually passed before I could take advantage of it.
Old 01-23-2023, 11:04 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by jjaisli
I disagree. It's not necessarily about "bragging rights". Porsche charges a premium for the 911 GTS over the S and the engine supposedly makes an extra 30-hp and 30-lbs of torque, or their An abouts. I would be interested in both a dyno test and real world standing stop and rolling acceleration test of both cars. Is the GTS really making that much more power? How much is that power worth? How much of a difference does it make? Is it making the power but due to increased lag, is it just not able to put it down efficiently enough? An apples to apples comparison with a PDK vs PDK, similarly equipped S and GTS on the same tires during the same conditions would certainly pique my interest.

So that i get this straight, if you buy a GTS, vs an S, “you pay a premium”? Your words. What is that premium, about $20K? Nevertheless, and per what Nick, and many others have been saying - if you value the extra things you get for that price, then you should get the GTS…but if you don’t want things like center locks, then don’t pay for them and get the S. Basically the same cars, with same turbo and same engine and same tranny.

As for the added 30 HP or an extra 29 ft-lbs, you won’t feel 6-7% difference, from the porsche tune. Period. Time difference to 60, 1/8 or 1/4 mile, rolling, etc generally runs between 0.1-0.3 sec quicker. 🙄 But as sated, that’s easily overcome, and then some, with a $2-$3k tune.

As for the “bigger brakes” on the GTS, they actually produce longer stopping distances at pretty much all speeds. Well documented. Yeah, I was surprised, too. Don’t believe me, check it out for yourself.

https://fastestlaps.com/models/porsc...arrera-gts-992

https://fastestlaps.com/models/porsc...-carrera-s-992

Old 01-23-2023, 11:09 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
I enjoy "launching" the car and do it all the time. From a stoplight, almost never. But on an empty road with enough room in front of me, quite frequently. And that's what love about it over the similar system in my M5. if you decide you want to launch, it is brake, gas, go. Maybe you have to spin the dial if you are not already in SPlus. On the M5, it was. a multi-step process and the opportunity usually passed before I could take advantage of it.

LOL, very easy to do on my M4. So have no idea what u are talking about. Nevertheless, it’s artificial…at least for some of us.

I’ve “launched” my Porsche many times when I’m testing times…but never have I done it on the street, at a light, with the guy next to me doing the same to relive our youth.
Old 01-23-2023, 11:36 AM
nv992gts
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
That is not how to do it in a manual.
what is the proper way to do it in a manual?
Old 01-23-2023, 11:44 AM
jjaisli
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 43 Posts

So that i get this straight, if you buy a GTS, vs an S, “you pay a premium”? Your words. What is that premium, about $20K? Nevertheless, and per what Nick, and many others have been saying - if you value the extra things you get for that price, then you should get the GTS…but if you don’t want things like center locks, then don’t pay for them and get the S. Basically the same cars, with same turbo and same engine and same tranny.

As for the added 30 HP or an extra 29 ft-lbs, you won’t feel 6-7% difference, from the porsche tune. Period. Time difference to 60, 1/8 or 1/4 mile, rolling, etc generally runs between 0.1-0.3 sec quicker. 🙄 But as sated, that’s easily overcome, and then some, with a $2-$3k tune.

As for the “bigger brakes” on the GTS, they actually produce longer stopping distances at pretty much all speeds. Well documented. Yeah, I was surprised, too. Don’t believe me, check it out for yourself.
The fact that it IS the same engine and same transmission and same turbo on the S and GTS is part of my point. Can we repeat or quantify the numbers Porsche claims on a Dyno testing the two cars. And in real world tests, (again) under the same conditions, how much does that actually come out to. For example, I'm wondering if under ideal conditions they're actually putting out almost the same power. Whatever you can do with an aftermarket tune is another issue. The car as it comes from Porsche, in S or GTS form is the question. And for me it's more just curiosity.

And I wouldn't really expect the GTS to stop in a shorter distance because of the larger brakes. Stopping distance is going to be affected more by the tire and brake compound. But what the larger diameter rotors will give you is more consistent stopping power over multiple, repeated hard stops.

Old 01-23-2023, 11:51 AM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 919 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by nv992gts
what is the proper way to do it in a manual?
In the manual the revs only go to 3500 rpm. In order to get a good launch the clutch must be smoothly released, not dumped. If you dump the clutch the car will bog and you will have a poor launch. The PDK does not dump it's clutch either. So to replicate the PDK launch you have to have some finesse with the clutch release. The hardest part is the 1-2 shift. With practice you can nail it but it does take practice. Anyone can launch a PDK well which is why they are wonderful.
Old 01-23-2023, 12:21 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

LOL, very easy to do on my M4. So have no idea what u are talking about. Nevertheless, it’s artificial…at least for some of us.

I’ve “launched” my Porsche many times when I’m testing times…but never have I done it on the street, at a light, with the guy next to me doing the same to relive our youth.

I am glad that I am making you chuckle. I am not sure how it works on the M4, but for the M5, you had to run through the following steps:
  • Sport Plus
  • Hold traction control down for 5 seconds to turn traction control completely off (no MDM)
  • Hold the shifter forward for 3 seconds until checkered flag appears
  • Hold the gas pedal down until RPMs hold.
  • Release the shifter
Maybe I am misreading my own post, but where did I ever say that I used launch control "on the street, at a light, with the guy next to me doing the same to relive our youth". I am pretty sure I explained my use quite differently. But I guess i have no idea what I am talking about - just like every other Rennlister that does not agree with you.
The following users liked this post:
zachr (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 01:51 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
I am glad that I am making you chuckle. I am not sure how it works on the M4, but for the M5, you had to run through the following steps:
  • Sport Plus
  • Hold traction control down for 5 seconds to turn traction control completely off (no MDM)
  • Hold the shifter forward for 3 seconds until checkered flag appears
  • Hold the gas pedal down until RPMs hold.
  • Release the shifter
Maybe I am misreading my own post, but where did I ever say that I used launch control "on the street, at a light, with the guy next to me doing the same to relive our youth". I am pretty sure I explained my use quite differently. But I guess i have no idea what I am talking about - just like every other Rennlister that does not agree with you.
You forgot get ready to counter steer quickly as there will be minimal traction. I had quite a few F8X M3/M4s and agree the LC procedure was more cumbersome than Porsche. I don’t recall having to hold the shifter, but had to move it to S mode and it had to be driven so many miles after start up for it to be enabled. Also be in sport plus IIRC. I think you meant release the brake at the end.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:13 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by minn19
You forgot get ready to counter steer quickly as there will be minimal traction. I had quite a few F8X M3/M4s and agree the LC procedure was more cumbersome than Porsche. I don’t recall having to hold the shifter, but had to move it to S mode and it had to be driven so many miles after start up for it to be enabled. Also be in sport plus IIRC. I think you meant release the brake at the end.
Not to mention that BMW would void your warranty if launch control were "overused".
Old 01-23-2023, 05:50 PM
Nein Eleven
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by jjaisli
Is the GTS really making that much more power? How much is that power worth? How much of a difference does it make? Is it making the power but due to increased lag, is it just not able to put it down efficiently enough? An apples to apples comparison with a PDK vs PDK, similarly equipped S and GTS on the same tires during the same conditions would certainly pique my interest.
Mitch from M-Engineering was just on the TST podcast talking about this topic. The takeaway is that the S and GTS motors are the same but the GTS has a more aggressive tune. The M-Engineering tune therefore gives you bigger gains on the S than the GTS and it was implied that they would end up at the same spot with their tune.
jjaisli (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 05:55 PM
Nein Eleven
Racer

For anyone wondering why they can't replicate published 0-60 times or why fast cars get beat by slow cars:

johny221 (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 06:05 PM
Pivot
Burning Brakes

Received 1,640 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by Nein Eleven
For anyone wondering why they can't replicate published 0-60 times or why fast cars get beat by slow cars:

0-60 isn't ZERO to 60

Awesome video… thanks for posting @Nine Eleven
I don’t intend to dump the clutch, etc, I just care how it drives
Old 01-23-2023, 08:50 PM
Nein Eleven
Racer

Originally Posted by Pivot
Same. I have too much mechanical sympathy to do hard launches. Hard cornering and accelerating to redline on the other hand ...
Old 01-23-2023, 09:10 PM
GTTROIS
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Pivot
Awesome video… thanks for posting @Nine Eleven
NEIN…. 11!

By the way, never thought this thread would make it to nearly 500 posts!! Well done @nmurray22 !!

Last edited by GTTROIS; 01-23-2023 at 09:17 PM.
Spiffx (02-05-2023)

Quick Reply: New Nick Murray Video - S vs GTS