Sponsored by:

New Nick Murray Video - S vs GTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2022, 10:20 PM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dude41
I think you misinterpreted my post, but that's okay because communication isn't precise on an online forum debate. Besides that, you are free to skip over my posts or use the ignore function.

Nick playing everyone repeatedly has nothing to do with money. He's gaslighting his viewers and some of those viewers are rennlisters who post it here.. We're 10 pages deep into the GTS for the 900th time in history. He knows very well what he's doing.

Good job Nick! Get em! Your fanboys and minions are multiplying
Gaslighting!? Now that is the conflation of the century. Nick is a great resource for people new to the Porsche (especially 911) world. I was a bit of a skeptic when he admitted that he lemoned two 911's but he is still a fun watch.
The following 6 users liked this post by breny4104:
doug_999 (12-26-2022), Drew46 (12-22-2022), FloraFauna (12-25-2022), minn19 (12-21-2022), pkalhan (12-22-2022), Spiffx (01-15-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-21-2022, 10:35 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

I think it's fair to say there is hyperbole on both sides of the great Nick Murray debate.
The following users liked this post:
shrimp money (12-21-2022)
Old 12-21-2022, 11:24 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
I think it's fair to say there is hyperbole on both sides of the great Nick Murray debate.
Ya think?
Old 12-21-2022, 11:37 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,226 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by breny4104
Gaslighting!? Now that is the conflation of the century. Nick is a great resource for people new to the Porsche (especially 911) world. I was a bit of a skeptic when he admitted that he lemoned two 911's but he is still a fun watch.
I agree with your post, he's made great informative videos and he's got a good attitude. He can't drive though and he's flat out wrong at times. That's a fact.
Old 12-22-2022, 02:44 AM
HappinessProcured
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 110 Posts

The #1 reason I'm getting a GTS is that it's available. Seemed like an important reason.
Old 12-22-2022, 02:48 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by CantBuyHappiness
The #1 reason I'm getting a GTS is that it's available. Seemed like an important reason.
A Turbo is available too…..
Old 12-22-2022, 07:25 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911dude41
I agree with your post, he's made great informative videos and he's got a good attitude. He can't drive though and he's flat out wrong at times. That's a fact.
He's probably a lovely guy in person. Youtube has a tendency of making people look like the worst version of themselves. It's like taking a magnifying lens to your personality. Little quirks that don't register in real world interactions suddenly become dominant. I think that the more visceral responses some people have to his videos is a reaction to that, as much as anything else. Schmee150 is an example for me - probably a nice guy, but I cannot watch his videos.

I agree with you though - I rarely agree with NM's opinions on cars or options. That said, if these things were said in person, or in a forum, I doubt anyone would be up in arms. He's just another random dude with an opinion, like you or me. It's not like he's Andreas Preuninger, whose opinion is actually relevant to the future of the 911.
Old 12-22-2022, 08:11 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,647 Likes on 778 Posts

Originally Posted by maine992
Regarding the ride , when I drove my gts home from New Hampshire to Maine the ride was harsh when I took a good bump over a highway bridge or whatever.
I knew the pressure was maxed on the tires and felt it, took it down to partial load pressures and it made a world of difference, I am sure comfort pressure is even better.
I did drive an S a few months prior, I don’t recall there being a world of difference. But it was a short drive.
This ^. I would lbe curious what pressures he is running. How many threads have there been on this?
Old 12-22-2022, 08:12 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by srf409
I'd like to see the formula used to determine this approximate $700,000 budget for a sports car. I mean is this 10% of a calculated net worth amount or is it every nickel and dime including HELOC that one can scrape up. Rather odd that someone posts this on an internet forum.
It has been my experience that when people throw out these kind of dollar amounts when it is hardly necessary to do so they are most often full of ****. People who are financially secure or what most would consider "well off" rarely if ever display this insecure behavior.
Your post is spot on. But am I the only one who wondered why his wife controls his car budget?
srf409 (12-22-2022)
Old 12-22-2022, 08:14 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Drew46
This ^. I would lbe curious what pressures he is running. How many threads have there been on this?
My (1.2) GT3 is just as comfortable as my 992 Turbo S and C2S before it.

I just have a hard time believing that the GTS is SO STIFF.
Old 12-22-2022, 08:16 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by zachr
You must have the best roads in the country. Here in Atlanta our steel plate- and pothole-laden surface streets are pretty rough with the GTS. It's not worse than my C63 was, but comparing to my husband's 2018 Audi S5, it's a stark contrast. That said, over fairly smooth pavement I thought the GTS was remarkably pleasant. The first thing I did with the car was a 2000-mile roadtrip, and throughout that time we were really happy with the ride quality. Only once I got back home and started driving on the dilapidated roads around me did I find that the GTS suspension is a fickle beast.
Well, I haven't ever heard anyone compliment the NY roads. Once I reduced the tire pressure from the silly 42PSI they delivered it with, I find the ride to be fine if you consider you are driving a sports car and not a comfy sedan. The ride is actually better than my M5s were.
Old 12-22-2022, 09:24 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by srf409
Yeah, the wife thing is hillarious is it not.
Reminds me of some posts I've seen on car forums where a guy bursts forth with glee because he got the wife's approval to order a cold air kit or some other inexpensive after market product for some thing that they have a passion for. Most car guys wouldn't last a day with a bitch like that. Fageet-aboutit.
To be clear, I am not some macho dude who "rules his roost". I happen to be lucky that I am married to s doctor who is not a shopper. In fact she works and I am (semi) retired already. But she trusts me to know (and manage) our finances and to know what to buy or not buy.

If your wealth is such that you have a $70K car budget and that is a big spend, then I can certainly see that being a joint decision with your spouse. But if you have (allegedly) the wealth that your annual budget for car spend is $700K, one would think you are beyond the point where that spend is so significant to your finances that you need the spouse to sign off on your budget.
minn19 (12-22-2022)
Old 12-22-2022, 10:22 AM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 209 Posts

My wife loves cars, and when I get my T, I’ll finally be able to drive the Taycan GTS, since she’ll be the one jumping at the chance to drive a manual sports car. It is weird when spouses have some kind of “permission” system for buying things. For us it’s usually a joint decision for stuff we both care about, or a “just FYI I’m buying this” for things that one half is indifferent about.

As for the “$700k car budget,” that does seem bizarre in so many ways. Anyone buying a $700k car surely has so much wealth that this amount is a rounding error. Or he is putting himself in a financially risky position for the sake of a car, which makes it unlikely he’s the kind of person who would consult his spouse in the first place.

Originally Posted by Drew46
To be clear, I am not some macho dude who "rules his roost". I happen to be lucky that I am married to s doctor who is not a shopper. In fact she works and I am (semi) retired already. But she trusts me to know (and manage) our finances and to know what to buy or not buy.

If your wealth is such that you have a $70K car budget and that is a big spend, then I can certainly see that being a joint decision with your spouse. But if you have (allegedly) the wealth that your annual budget for car spend is $700K, one would think you are beyond the point where that spend is so significant to your finances that you need the spouse to sign off on your budget.
Old 12-22-2022, 10:27 AM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
He's probably a lovely guy in person. Youtube has a tendency of making people look like the worst version of themselves. It's like taking a magnifying lens to your personality. Little quirks that don't register in real world interactions suddenly become dominant. I think that the more visceral responses some people have to his videos is a reaction to that, as much as anything else. Schmee150 is an example for me - probably a nice guy, but I cannot watch his videos.

I agree with you though - I rarely agree with NM's opinions on cars or options. That said, if these things were said in person, or in a forum, I doubt anyone would be up in arms. He's just another random dude with an opinion, like you or me. It's not like he's Andreas Preuninger, whose opinion is actually relevant to the future of the 911.
Yea, Shmee is right up at Doug Demuro levels of nails-on-blackboard annoyance. I can’t watch either of them. I liked Doug’s writing, but his videos are unbearable. Shmee has no redeeming qualities; he has the annoying voice, yes, but he also comes across as totally vapid and shallow.
The following 2 users liked this post by bluelines1974:
dhirm5 (12-22-2022), dixonk (12-22-2022)
Old 12-22-2022, 10:39 AM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,065 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Add me to the list of folks that can’t watch Shmee videos. Kudos to him for making millions though.

I see a lot of channels that want to grow inviting Shmee and Stradman to hangout with them, but it never seems to work to increase their subscribers.

I think those two caught the wave as car spotting and Instagram really started to take off, and it’s paid off handsomely for them. Again, not knocking their success, just not into their content. I do enjoy watching Chris Harris though.
dhirm5 (12-22-2022)

Quick Reply: New Nick Murray Video - S vs GTS