Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Nick Murray Video - S vs GTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2022, 10:42 AM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 209 Posts

I really like Chris Harris. He’s just much more authentic and doesn’t try to be anyone he’s not, or use silly gimmicks to drive views and clicks.

Originally Posted by shrimp money
Add me to the list of folks that can’t watch Shmee videos. Kudos to him for making millions though.

I see a lot of channels that want to grow inviting Shmee and Stradman to hangout with them, but it never seems to work to increase their subscribers.

I think those two caught the wave as car spotting and Instagram really started to take off, and it’s paid off handsomely for them. Again, not knocking their success, just not into their content. I do enjoy watching Chris Harris though.
Old 12-22-2022, 10:45 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Originally Posted by bluelines1974
I really like Chris Harris. He’s just much more authentic and doesn’t try to be anyone he’s not, or use silly gimmicks to drive views and clicks.
Chris Harris is the gold standard. I like most of the evo guys like Henry Catchpole, Jethro Bovington, Steve Sutcliffe and Harry Metcalf when he's not in grumpy old man mode.

DeMuro was great on Jalopnik, but his videos are bad. He has access to incredible cars though - one of the only Vector W8 reviews I've seen.

Last edited by rk-d; 12-22-2022 at 10:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
shrimp money (12-22-2022)
Old 12-22-2022, 02:21 PM
Nibiru12
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by BenDiem
I‘m totally on board w/Nick‘s review.
Long time P-car fan/owner & Nick was spot on; full stop.

My two pfennig opines that buyers who opt to buy a GTS over an S, not to mention those similar people who buy a Turbo S over a Turbo, is for generally speaking, Badge Snobs. People get suckered in by badges! GTS costs more than S, Turbo S costs more than Turbo. Let me buy the more expensive badge so I can tell the world I’m wealthy. Porsche AG is the only party laughing all the way to the bank! Those that disagree are those that got suckered into this mindset, so they bash the guy that bought the lower priced option, just to make themselves feel good about the decision they made, lol. It’s sad but true; the truth hurts folks! I personally don’t buy into this stereotype but it lives on! Folks, buy what you like/want - the heck with everyone else! YMMV😉🙃
Per Nick, I think GTS is not for everyone, due to harsh ride he reported, so people buying GTS are I'd say hardcores...

And I think Turbo S is a good deal over Turbo, a lot of great options at a discount... so Turbo S is not at all for the badge either.

But Nick destroyed Turbo S in his other video, lol...
Old 12-22-2022, 02:37 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,542 Likes on 5,065 Posts

If you think Harris is authentic, then you really don't know Harris, or you don't know what authentic is.
catdog2 (12-22-2022)
Old 12-22-2022, 02:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 796 Likes on 427 Posts

I’m not sure the badge snob label is quite accurate, but everyone deserves to celebrate their success, and it’s true that a token of that success will look differently to everyone. When I think about my 911, I can’t believe that 10 years ago I was broke, just out of grad school, had a ton of debt, had to pay for my own wedding etc…the journey form there to where I am now was hard, my 911 is token of that journey and I’m not scared to admit it. I don’t think a mustang gt500 etc. would have provided the same feeling to me, even though they are arguably faster and arguably more exciting. Similar to folks who buy and definitely do not need a turbo S..maybe an CS wouldn’t signify their journey with enough passion. I personally don’t think the rarity and achievability of a car being factored into your purchasing decision is wrong in the least. Just my .02
Old 12-22-2022, 03:02 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
If you think Harris is authentic, then you really don't know Harris, or you don't know what authentic is.
Harris comes across as more down to earth, but he's a showman like the rest. In an English kinda way.
Old 12-22-2022, 03:04 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,542 Likes on 5,065 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Harris comes across as more down to earth, but he's a showman like the rest. In an English kinda way.
Agreed, anytime you're in front of a camera, you have to have a facade. It just is what it is.
Old 12-22-2022, 03:23 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 530 Likes on 324 Posts
Default !!!

As for the “$700k car budget,” that does seem bizarre in so many ways. Anyone buying a $700k car surely has so much wealth that this amount is a rounding error. Or he is putting himself in a financially risky position for the sake of a car, which makes it unlikely he’s the kind of person who would consult his spouse in the first place.
I assume that the "$700K car budget" comment is about my prior post in this thread. I mentioned that only to illustrate that some people (i.e. my wife and I) don't have a need to spend more money than necessary to buy more car than wanted which in this case is a nicely equipped base Carrara 4. Actually, if we follow through on the order when we get an allocation, the cost of the Carrara 4 will come out of my wife's reserve "car fund" - not that $700K. Having separate reserve funds for our vehicles is a holdover from the 13 years we lived together before we got married for financial reasons in 1991. When we finally married, we merged most of our other assets but my wife, who is a CPA, wanted to keep our reserves for vehicles separate because I was driving expensive cars while she preferred to drive small inexpensive cars. She budgets/allocates for expenditures and tracks every cent we spend. Everything is documented in Quicken. She's obsessive. How many people other that me are presented with an updated financial statement every weekday after the markets have closed? She's retired and nearing 75 but is still expending quite a lot of time and energy fulfilling requirements to maintain her CPA license "just in case" she needs to go back to paid work.

I didn't make it clear that the "$700K car budget" was for now and not annual. Just because she's OK with me spending a buttload of money doesn't mean that I'm going to. And I don't want to. I was surprised when she came up with that figure and suspected that she was trying to cheer me up due to how COVID has impacted us - hospitalizations, deaths and lingering illness among family and friends. But I'm just not that into cars anymore. Maybe it's age - I'll soon be 73. I had five/six cars at a time when younger but now I can barely tolerate dealing with two. I can appreciate cars without owning them. If I want a "fix" of exotic cars, I'll walk across the cul-de-sac to a neighbor's house and admire his Maserati collection while drinking his expensive wine. He appreciates the company.

My wife and I have always asked each other's permission before purchasing almost anything. We're a team. I asked my wife if it was OK to purchase a new $150 torque wrench when I bought the new Cayenne in August since my 50 year old torque wrench was not suitable for tightening Porsche lug nuts to 118 ft lbs. I asked her if it was OK to buy a $50 Porsche first aid kit from Suncoast last week. We're actually quite frugal. My wife has never got over a childhood in which her babysitting income went to purchase food which she never got enough of due to older brothers. I can't forget that there was a time when I couldn't find work and was down to my last $10. I still sometime have to assure my wife that it's OK for her to buy what she wants and that we can afford our favorite restaurants whenever we want.

I think my wife would enjoy a Carrara 4 but she's wavering on following through. Her main concern is that she would damage it or at a minimum trash its wheels on curbs. I've been reminding her that the 911 is smaller than her Prius wagon, that a 911 would have more parking aids, that she has a handicapped parking permit that usually allows parking in oversize spaces and that cars can be fixed if damaged. Although she won't admit it, it's obvious that she is "into" luxury car brands for whatever prestige she associates with them. I can visualize her telling friends that she drives a 911! It will be interesting to see what she says when we "get the call" that our 992 allocation has come up.

This thread is supposed to be about Nick Murray's video comparison of the 992 S and GTS. I like Nick's video content a lot and think he is very knowledgeable about Porsche but I don't always or even often agree with him. I want to scream every time he says "deviated stitching". F*ck "deviant" stitching! I pay more attention to what William and Albert say than to Nick.
The following 3 users liked this post by Woofman:
El Edmundo (12-24-2022), johny221 (12-22-2022), Pivot (12-22-2022)
Old 12-22-2022, 03:59 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,226 Likes on 705 Posts

Nick Murray: "A-een-ways"

Translation: 18 way seats.
repcapale (12-22-2022)
Old 12-22-2022, 04:08 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,802 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Woofman
I think my wife would enjoy a Carrara 4 but she's wavering on following through. Her main concern is that she would damage it or at a minimum trash its wheels on curbs. I've been reminding her that the 911 is smaller than her Prius wagon, that a 911 would have more parking aids, that she has a handicapped parking permit that usually allows parking in oversize spaces and that cars can be fixed if damaged. Although she won't admit it, it's obvious that she is "into" luxury car brands for whatever prestige she associates with them. I can visualize her telling friends that she drives a 911! It will be interesting to see what she says when we "get the call" that our 992 allocation has come up.
Toyota makes a Prius wagon? I had no idea.
Old 12-22-2022, 06:02 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,290 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by Nibiru12
And I think Turbo S is a good deal over Turbo, a lot of great options at a discount... so Turbo S is not at all for the badge either.
A bit iff topic here, but no, the turbo-S in not a “good deal” over a turbo. You’re not getting “a lot of great options at a discount” at all. When speccing a base turbo with all the options that are standard on the turbo-S, the turbo still undercuts the -S by $12k. So you’re essentially paying 12k for the 70hp power bump and being forced into a ****load of options you don’t necessarily want or need. Great way for Porsche to “up sell” customers into more options. I would have much preferred that they offer the power bump for 12k and leave all the rest optional, particularly the PCCB. But Porsche know they will still sell plenty of turbo-S anyhow, so they know what they are doing.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 12-22-2022 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-22-2022, 06:44 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Nick is great. The fact that he gets under the skin of GTS owners is a plus +++++ 🤔

Thank you, Nick 👍 And Merry Christmas to you.
The following 3 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
aggie57 (12-22-2022), catdog2 (12-22-2022), doug_999 (12-23-2022)
Old 12-22-2022, 06:56 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,226 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Nick is great. The fact that he gets under the skin of GTS owners is a plus +++++ 🤔

Thank you, Nick 👍 And Merry Christmas to you.
This inadequate, poor ($) person could not afford a GTS and had to settle for an S. Gross
Old 12-22-2022, 07:08 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911dude41
This inadequate, poor ($) person could not afford a GTS and had to settle for an S. Gross
He's easily contacted; why not drop him a line and tell him how you really feel?
Old 12-22-2022, 07:45 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by srf409
Quite comical how the GTS is such a nut buster for certain S owners.
and certain GTS owners can't understand why others can see past the marketing noise....

Quick Reply: New Nick Murray Video - S vs GTS