Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Transport Ship Felicity Ace Catches Fire Mid Atlantic

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 08:33 PM
arkansatarga
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Slightly new message posted on TYD that I just noticed… confirms the reprioritization we suspected at least. It does say “as close as possible to the original spec,” throwing some water on the recent chatter of orders being able to be changed.

Last edited by arkansatarga; 02-19-2022 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-19-2022, 09:02 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by NYCGT3
I just read by law, the maximum amount of fuel for shipment is only 500ml…additionally, I don’t know a thing about insurance, but I hope they spread that kind of risk over multiple carriers..
So a gasoline fire is out.

Poll:

1 - ship equipment fire

2 - Li-Ion battery fire

The following users liked this post:
NYCGT3 (02-20-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 09:37 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
They use that little bit of gasoline to drive the cars on and off the ship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-fPEhw8IQg
17 ounces? That’s really difficulty for me to grasp. Especially a diesel that would be damn near impossible to start when it runs out. I see them running up ramps with a pint of fuel in them? Amazing.
Old 02-19-2022, 09:50 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 72 Posts

https://gcaptain.com/felicity-ace-ca...-mid-atlantic/

Old 02-19-2022, 10:01 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,562 Posts

Originally Posted by cdk4219
17 ounces? That’s really difficulty for me to grasp. Especially a diesel that would be damn near impossible to start when it runs out. I see them running up ramps with a pint of fuel in them? Amazing.
it’s actually slightly more than that. If I’m remembering the rules correctly there can be that much in the tank and also anything that’s left over in the gas lines, injectors, etc.
NYCGT3 (02-20-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 11:45 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,657 Likes on 2,081 Posts

Originally Posted by cdk4219
I don’t know where that number came from or how that would even be measured. That wouldn’t get most cars 2 miles on average.

Mine came off the carrier with 6 miles.

I did a RORO to Hawaii both ways and a container to UK both ways and each time 1/4 tank or less.
Old 02-20-2022, 12:05 AM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 231 Posts

That wouldn’t get most cars 2 miles on average.

if the fuel pickup could find it at the bottom of the tank. Maybe they run off the fumes😄
Old 02-20-2022, 12:25 AM
cmjohnson
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Porsche's reordering of the production schedule to replace the lost vehicles will most likely consist of stretching out the existing production schedule, interspersing replacement cars into the schedule, with cars that are being built for dealer stock being the ones that get pushed back on delivery date while customer spec cars are still produced on time or at least as close to it as possible.

As you must know, there is a certain production lead time required for parts, paritcularly if those parts are customized and are uncommon and thus not abundant in the inventory of stock parts.

For example, let's say that you have ordered your dream car, a 911 Turbo S in a tasteful combination of metallic purple similar to Plum Crazy, with gold trim and zebra hide interior and seats, and your customized illuminated doorsills are to say "A Pimp Named Slickback" in purple illumination. Of course Porsche can do that...but the lead time could be several months just to procure an adequate quantity of authentic zebra hides that meet Porsche's quality standards. Or maybe you just want purple leather instead. That's going to probably be a custom leather dye job and that may take weeks to develop if it's a leather color that was never done before.

So, a lot of those special custom touches are going to result in extended lead times. Once all the parts for your order are confirmed as being ready, then the car can go to production.

This is the same reason why the original Slickback Turbo S took so long to get built after you placed the initial order. Lead time for customized parts of the build.

Now if every car on that ship was built in the most common colors and feature packages, they could probably have them all built within a month. "No options base model Carrera in metallic silver. I'm on a budget."

As for the ship....it's floating scrap metal. The damage done to the steel structure by the fire alone would almost certainly mean it's going to be declared a total loss. Even if it's capable of moving under its own power and navigating and crew spaces are habitable, due to liability and hazards it's going to be de-fueled and towed to a scrapyard eventually. As for the cargo...it's most likely baked hazardous waste. I'd fully expect that in the central areas of the decks, there will be burned through decks and at the bottom of this area, find large puddles of mixed recently molten metals that is all that is left of some cars, with a thick layer of burned non-metallic garbage on top of it which is what's left of everything else that burned. It may just be left in place and go directly to the shipbreaking yards in Alang with the entire cargo still on board. And then all the local dirt poor shipbreakers can have their own Porsche....or what little is left of it.

I predict that a few cars will be recognizable. And many more will be twisted piles of rusty scrap steel. Some will just be dirty puddles of refrozen molten metal.

I expect NO car to make it out undamaged.
rhr992c4s (02-20-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 02:59 AM
2GSDs
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

A spokesperson for MOL Ship Management (Singapore) Pte. Ltd., which owns the company operating the Felicity Ace, told the Journal Saturday that the 650-foot ship is still burning but hasn't leaked any oil and remains stable with regards to concerns it could sink.MOL told The Journal it expects the first of the vessels carrying firefighting equipment to the Felicity Ace to arrive Sunday from Gibraltar. A second firefighting boat will come Monday, and a salvage ship from Rotterdam, Netherlands, is expected to arrive on Wednesday or Thursday.

The cause of the fire is not yet clear.

"It will be months before we have completed an investigation and know what happened," a spokesman for MOL told the Journal.
A Porsche spokesperson previously confirmed to Insider that "a number" of Porsche cars are onboard the ship but said it was too early to know if any could be salvaged.

https://www.businessinsider.com/feli...ry-cars-2022-2

Old 02-20-2022, 05:35 AM
got2go
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 39 Posts

Read in a reinsurance publication that the estimated loss on the cargo is $500 million. The estimated loss on the ship itself is $15 BILLION.
Old 02-20-2022, 07:06 AM
parkway
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by got2go
Read in a reinsurance publication that the estimated loss on the cargo is $500 million. The estimated loss on the ship itself is $15 BILLION.
The ship is not $15 billion. The article is incorrect. They need to drop three zeros.

US Navy aircraft carriers are in the billions. Nuclear subs are in the billions. The Space launch system (SLS) is in the billions.

A floating parking deck made of steel and empty space, that floats from point A to point B and back again.. not worth 15 billion.
The following 3 users liked this post by parkway:
Go Bruins (02-20-2022), peterdouglas (02-21-2022), Yojeffo (02-20-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 08:30 AM
2GSDs
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Not billon

Here is another source that says the Felicity Ace is worth 24.5 million.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...231300019.html
Old 02-20-2022, 09:01 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Everything printed on the internet is not true. USS Ford most advanced aircraft carrier in the world, and can destroy the world didn’t cost 15B. This carrier couldn’t even put out its own fire.
Old 02-20-2022, 09:12 AM
NYCGT3
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
it’s actually slightly more than that. If I’m remembering the rules correctly there can be that much in the tank and also anything that’s left over in the gas lines, injectors, etc.
That’s exactly what I read. Including the injectors and lines…
Old 02-20-2022, 09:35 AM
67SSWT
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

From The Ship Captain:
“The ship is burning from one end to the other… everything is on fire about five meters above the water line,” Cabecas said.

If that's accurate, it most likely rules out salvage.

When I visited the Zuffenhausen factory in 2018 all Caymens, Boxters and 911's including race models were produced on the same line.
They can shorten the takt time ,only so much, if at all. Then there are the issues of material shortages and highly customized builds.
Not sure how they could significantly boost production without multiple shifts. Anyone want a third shift car?
Based on their note about replacing orders as close as possible, it may be wait a long time or a take it or leave it .

Quick Reply: Car Transport Ship Felicity Ace Catches Fire Mid Atlantic