https://ca.yahoo.com/news/fire-dies-...103237400.html
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (02-21-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 08:47 AM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 919 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Let's remember that one of the VW boats is no more. So even if they are able to re-make all these cars tomorrow, we have one less boat.
Very good point! Transportation has been a bottle neck for sure.
Old 02-21-2022, 09:02 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Let's remember that one of the VW boats is no more. So even if they are able to re-make all these cars tomorrow, we have one less boat.
There are more than 7500 RoRo cargo ships in the world. I suspect a replacement can be secured by VW.
The following 2 users liked this post by mjsporsche:
981KMAN (02-24-2022), detansinn (02-21-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 09:10 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,103 Likes on 2,997 Posts

Originally Posted by cmjohnson
What are the chances that at some point in the future the decision will be made that EVs can't share the same cargo ship with gas and diesel powered vehicles?

I think we've already found out that the realistic fire hazards are greater for EVs than fossil fueled vehicles. And as energy density get higher in future battery designs, I don't expect that trend to reverse.

EVs have a long way to go to be truly competitive with the internal combustion engine anyway. Quick, what is the volume and mass of an EV vehicle battery that gives 300 miles range in a specific vehicle,
as compared to the size and weight of a full tank of gas that will give you the same range? Well, a Taycan battery is close to 1400 pounds. And that's taken it as far as 280 miles in testing.

Battery energy density has a LONG way to go before it becomes pound-for-pound comparable to fossil fuels. Plus gas tanks don't self ignite just because someone poked a hole in them.

And, a discharged Li-Ion battery is still flammable. It just won't self-ignite if damaged while fully discharged. It's the heat generated in the short circuit in a charged battery that starts the electrolyte on fire.

I honestly think these factors are going to ensure that the internal combustion engine will be around for a long time to come. Trying to make an energy storage system truly SAFE when its very design is intrinsically
prone to self-ignition when damaged is a very tough problem to solve.
While EV fires make news, gasoline powered cars are 100x more likely to catch on fire per a study done by the NTSB.
https://electrek.co/2022/01/12/gover...ires-than-evs/

The last VW/Porsche carrier that caught ablaze and sunk was in 2019, with no EVs on board. Given the potential that gasoline powered cars are responsible for two ship carrier fires in the past three years, perhaps, it might make sense to temporarily stop the transportation of gasoline powered VW cars until the problem can be studied further. 😜
aggie57 (02-21-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 09:15 AM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 286 Posts

we've yet to hear about the maximum charge or energy content allowed in the EV batteries during shipment. There should be a limitation same as gas to reduce the effects I'd think.
Old 02-21-2022, 09:18 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,103 Likes on 2,997 Posts

Originally Posted by breny4104
we've yet to hear about the maximum charge or energy content allowed in the EV batteries during shipment. There should be a limitation same as gas to reduce the effects I'd think.
If you set an EV on fire, the Lithium will burn regardless of the charge state.
Laptops, smartphones, and a host of other devices are shipped in massive quantities with the same type of batteries.
Old 02-21-2022, 09:19 AM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
If you set an EV on fire, the Lithium will burn regardless of the charge state.
Laptops, smartphones, and a host of other devices are shipped in massive quantities with the same type of batteries.
right but I think the thermal runaway would be diminished.
Old 02-21-2022, 10:20 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,651 Likes on 780 Posts

While EV fires make news, gasoline powered cars are 100x more likely to catch on fire per a study done by the NTSB.

The last VW/Porsche carrier that caught ablaze and sunk was in 2019, with no EVs on board. Given the potential that gasoline powered cars are responsible for two ship carrier fires in the past three years, perhaps, it might make sense to temporarily stop the transportation of gasoline powered VW cars until the problem can be studied further. 😜

I agree with you on this assessment, but my concern is that these facts won't necessarily stop the typical hysteria and pendulum swing that often follows a "major" event. I would not be surprised to see new challenges to shipping EVs coming from the regulators, the shippers and the insurers. Even though EVs may not increase the chance of a fire, they do increase the challenges and complexities of extinguishing a fire when they are part of the "fuel source". I would not be surprised to see new requirements (coming from any or all of the three sources) around enhanced fire suppression or "fire breaks" on ships carrying EVs. To be clear, I don't think (without more info) that they would be beneficial or cost effective, but since when does logic and reason get in the way with emotional reaction and PR concerns?
detansinn (02-21-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 11:12 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Clearly, they will need a bigger boat.
The following 2 users liked this post by worf928:
CodyBigdog (02-21-2022), doug_999 (02-21-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 11:26 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,053 Posts

That article presents data that is not normalized for fleet age. The NTSB study linked in the linked (yes, two levels of indirection) article doesn’t even present statistics normalized in terms of ‘per thousand vehicles.’

Lies. Damned lies. And statistics.

Every time - twice now - that I pull back a veil on the “100x” claim I find more evidence that the claim seems to be the result of statistics being used incorrectly, for a specific purpose and perpetrated on people that neither know nor care about the definition of a confounding variable.

Old 02-21-2022, 11:28 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 840 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
There are more than 7500 RoRo cargo ships in the world. I suspect a replacement can be secured by VW.
Doesn't happen overnight. One of the shipping schedules pointed out that it takes 8 weeks.
Old 02-21-2022, 11:44 AM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 751 Likes on 424 Posts

EVs burning doesn’t mean that they were the source of the fire. There are EVs and PHEVs on boats, going across the ocean, literally every day.

There was literally another VW/Porsche carrier ship fire just three years ago, in 2019. No EVs on board. Still a total loss.

It doesn't matter what caused the fire there are many things that can cause a fire at sea, the problem is that once a Lithium Ion battery catches fire it is very difficult to put out. There are more and more sources pointing to this as a contributing factor in the severity of this particular fire. If that becomes very clear the shippers/insurers will limit the shipping to EVs until proper fire suppression techniques can be instituted

Gasoline cars may catch on fire more often, but the fires are usually put out quickly once firefighters are on the scene, EV fires are very hard to put out and they often reignite due to thermal runaway in the batteries once damaged.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/burning...an-11645385571

Last edited by malba2366; 02-21-2022 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-21-2022, 11:48 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,845 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by cmjohnson
What are the chances that at some point in the future the decision will be made that EVs can't share the same cargo ship with gas and diesel powered vehicles?

I think we've already found out that the realistic fire hazards are greater for EVs than fossil fueled vehicles. And as energy density get higher in future battery designs, I don't expect that trend to reverse.

EVs have a long way to go to be truly competitive with the internal combustion engine anyway. Quick, what is the volume and mass of an EV vehicle battery that gives 300 miles range in a specific vehicle,
as compared to the size and weight of a full tank of gas that will give you the same range? Well, a Taycan battery is close to 1400 pounds. And that's taken it as far as 280 miles in testing.

Battery energy density has a LONG way to go before it becomes pound-for-pound comparable to fossil fuels. Plus gas tanks don't self ignite just because someone poked a hole in them.

And, a discharged Li-Ion battery is still flammable. It just won't self-ignite if damaged while fully discharged. It's the heat generated in the short circuit in a charged battery that starts the electrolyte on fire.

I honestly think these factors are going to ensure that the internal combustion engine will be around for a long time to come. Trying to make an energy storage system truly SAFE when its very design is intrinsically
prone to self-ignition when damaged is a very tough problem to solve.
ICE vehicles are on the way out, simple as that. It's happening as we speak, in a few years you'll be hard pressed to buy a pure ICE vehicle.
detansinn (02-21-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 02:41 PM
unclemat
Pro

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
ICE vehicles are on the way out, simple as that. It's happening as we speak, in a few years you'll be hard pressed to buy a pure ICE vehicle.
Nope. Maybe in Eurokolkhoz, not in Murica!
981KMAN (02-24-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 02:52 PM
politeperson
Racer

Received 475 Likes on 145 Posts

All all those lovely cars just gone. Terrible. The Bentley Lambos and Porsches would have been treasured for years, what a waste.

I am the biggest supporter of new technology you will ever meet and I have driven over 140,000 miles in electric cars.

Bring on V-TOL and hydrogen power, all fine by me.

The idea of driving a diesel or petrol engine car in a city is terrible for air quality. We all know that. It has been terrible for years.

However, if you you were just to replace all the 289,000,000 ICE cars in the USA with lithium powered electric cars overnight, or even a few years, would be an environmental disaster. Imagine the energy required to do that.

I think it might take a while.

Dont forget, plenty of electricity is generated by burning fossil fuels, just saying. Maybe 60% in 2020?

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3

Not to mention which, plenty of electricity is lost in transmission through the grid and transformers by the time it gets to your wheels.

So it is not as clear cut as some new Model 3 owners have been eulogizing to me recently. The electricity has to come from somewhere.

Last edited by politeperson; 02-21-2022 at 02:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Car Transport Ship Felicity Ace Catches Fire Mid Atlantic