Sponsored by:

Car Transport Ship Felicity Ace Catches Fire Mid Atlantic

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 06:02 PM
rhr992c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Never claimed to be an insurance expert, and especially when it comes to maritime law/insurance. But I am familiar with both general and professional liability insurance which provided liability insurance to me / company against accidental accidents and negligence, etc. But like any insurance, it had it’s limits on the liability coverage/payout.

I just read this:

”With cargo typically insured at full replacement value, especially items that are high value, Skytek suggests that this could be a half a billion dollar loss for the marine re/insurance industry.Skytek also states that the estimated market value of the ship is $24.5 billion.

So, while all 3,954 cars are (likely) fully insured, the much larger price tag could be the ship itself … if it went down, or needed extensive repair? While I’m sure the shipping company is insured for such events, if it were ever determined that Porsche’s negligence was the cause…could the ships’ insurance company go after someone to try and recoup such a huge loss? I don’t know, but given the amount of money involved, I’m sure all the lawyers will be busy? Time will tell?

To be honest, I find this fascinating. Can’t wait for the movie!
Uhmmmm, no. Absolutely no way is the ship worth 24.5 billion. There’s a few zeros out on that number. The sum of the cargo is more than the ship. And, no way is that ship being repaired, it’s a loss.
Old 02-19-2022, 06:53 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Originally Posted by rhr992c4s
Uhmmmm, no. Absolutely no way is the ship worth 24.5 billion. There’s a few zeros out on that number. The sum of the cargo is more than the ship. And, no way is that ship being repaired, it’s a loss.
I’m just the messenger, but I do tend to agree with you…does seem inflated:

https://www.reinsurancene.ws/burning...s-says-skytek/

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-19-2022 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-19-2022, 07:09 PM
rhr992c4s
Rennlist Member

Think logically. That’s a typo in the article and I suspect it should read million, not billion. It cost Royal Caribbean approximately 1.4 billion to build the Allure of the Seas. Absolutely no way is a 20 year old car carrier worth 24 Billion
The following users liked this post:
dhirm5 (02-19-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 07:17 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,651 Likes on 780 Posts

Never claimed to be an insurance expert, and especially when it comes to maritime law/insurance. But I am familiar with both general and professional liability insurance which provided liability insurance to me / company against accidental accidents and negligence, etc. But like any insurance, it had it’s limits on the liability coverage/payout.

I just read this:

”With cargo typically insured at full replacement value, especially items that are high value, Skytek suggests that this could be a half a billion dollar loss for the marine re/insurance industry.Skytek also states that the estimated market value of the ship is $24.5 billion.

So, while all 3,954 cars are (likely) fully insured, the much larger price tag could be the ship itself … if it went down, or needed extensive repair? While I’m sure the shipping company is insured for such events, if it were ever determined that Porsche’s negligence was the cause…could the ships’ insurance company go after someone to try and recoup such a huge loss? I don’t know, but given the amount of money involved, I’m sure all the lawyers will be busy? Time will tell?

To be honest, I find this fascinating. Can’t wait for the movie!

Yet another big non-answer from the self-proclaimed big dog. How is professional liability insurance at all relevant to this question? Did the cars commit malpractice? Should we also consider trip insurance which is about as relevant to the topic?

And, just so the record is really clear, you were not speaking about professional liability insurance. You were speaking about insurance in general - and many types. Here is what you wrote and what I responded to:

"As the former owner of a high tech company, myself, I’ve never seen any insurance policy for my company, my employees, my home, cars, boat, etc, etc that waived any and all responsibilities I had as the owner. With ownership comes responsibilities."
So I guess if you get into an accident with your car and you are at fault your insurance doesn't cover you? If you run your boat aground in the shallows and rip off your outdrives, your insurance covers that.

I also never said that you claimed to be an insurance expert so no need to negate that. You said "If I know anything about insurance" and I simply pointed out that that premise was wrong.
Old 02-19-2022, 07:22 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Think logically. That’s a typo in the article and I suspect it should read million, not billion. It cost Royal Caribbean approximately 1.4 billion to build the Allure of the Seas. Absolutely no way is a 20 year old car carrier worth 24 Billion
I’m sure it is a typo…but it is, what it is. Nevertheless, I did some research that the largest cargo ship costs about $185million. Then, there’s the cost of all the expensive equipment on the ship? So, maybe, a total cost of $200 mil - max? Regardless of the exact amount, it’s still a significant amount that someone will have to pay out…

But if it bothers you, you might want to contact this insurance News organization. Here is how you can contact them:

Contact the team directly using our contact form here, by email at contact@reinsurancene.ws, by phone on +44 (0) 1273 – 930404,

Let us know what you find out? 👍
Old 02-19-2022, 07:25 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by Drew46
Yet another big non-answer from the self-proclaimed big dog. How is professional liability insurance at all relevant to this question? Did the cars commit malpractice? Should we also consider trip insurance which is about as relevant to the topic?

And, just so the record is really clear, you were not speaking about professional liability insurance. You were speaking about insurance in general - and many types. Here is what you wrote and what I responded to:

"As the former owner of a high tech company, myself, I’ve never seen any insurance policy for my company, my employees, my home, cars, boat, etc, etc that waived any and all responsibilities I had as the owner. With ownership comes responsibilities."
So I guess if you get into an accident with your car and you are at fault your insurance doesn't cover you? If you run your boat aground in the shallows and rip off your outdrives, your insurance covers that.

I also never said that you claimed to be an insurance expert so no need to negate that. You said "If I know anything about insurance" and I simply pointed out that that premise was wrong.

You didn’t ask a question, you accused me of knowing nothing about how insurance works. Wrong.

Oh, and the reference to BIGDOG, is me honoring my decease dog…and yeah, he was a “big dog”.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-19-2022 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-19-2022, 07:26 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Don’t believe everything on the internet …..this carrier did not cost 2X more than a aircraft carrier. (:
Old 02-19-2022, 07:27 PM
rhr992c4s
Rennlist Member

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...ace-ship-fire/

It is indeed a typo. 24.5 million.
Old 02-19-2022, 07:29 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,009 Posts

that makes sense
Old 02-19-2022, 07:31 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,651 Likes on 780 Posts

You didn’t ask a question, you accused me of knowing nothing about how insurance works. Wrong.

Oh, and the reference to BIGDOG, is me honoring my decease dog…

You really need to focus on your reading comprehension - or at least open your eyes when you read. I never said I asked a question. So starting your response with "You didn't ask a question" in nonsensical - like most of your posts. I assume your next response will be as well, so I will quit wasting my time and the time of anyone reading this thread.
Old 02-19-2022, 07:46 PM
NYCGT3
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Fire source Poll:

1 - ship equipment fire

2 - gasoline fire

3 - Li-Ion fire
I just read by law, the maximum amount of fuel for shipment is only 500ml…additionally, I don’t know a thing about insurance, but I hope they spread that kind of risk over multiple carriers..

Last edited by NYCGT3; 02-19-2022 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-19-2022, 07:59 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by Drew46
You really need to focus on your reading comprehension - or at least open your eyes when you read. I never said I asked a question. So starting your response with "You didn't ask a question" in nonsensical - like most of your posts. I assume your next response will be as well, so I will quit wasting my time and the time of anyone reading this thread.
“Wasting your time”? Bwhahahaha. Priceless.

We’re done. Bye.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-19-2022 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-19-2022, 08:03 PM
BudFox6
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 44 Posts

Will Porsche follow-up the Heritage edition with an Ablaze edition?

Asking for a friend.
aggie57 (02-19-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 08:05 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 231 Posts

Does a car run on 17oz of fuel? What’s the point of putting any in there at all? I can’t see any point in a pint of gas?
981KMAN (02-19-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 08:07 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,497 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Originally Posted by cdk4219
Does a car run on 17oz of fuel? What’s the point of putting any in there at all? I can’t see any point in a pint of gas?
They use that little bit of gasoline to drive the cars on and off the ship.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 02-19-2022 at 08:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Car Transport Ship Felicity Ace Catches Fire Mid Atlantic