Sponsored by:

Car Transport Ship Felicity Ace Catches Fire Mid Atlantic

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 03:18 PM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by reloader-1
I agree on caution, but… the ship was on fire as of two hours ago, it’s full of combustible material, has been abandoned.

That is enough information to declare the cargo a total loss. Just the heat variable alone is enough to scrap the vehicles, lest some critical part have been damaged and give way on a family of 4 in a Cayenne two years from now in NY.

The horse is dead, Jim.
If I were the Underwriter being asked to write a nine-figure check, I think I'd want a few more specifics and items of evidence, and not just speculative opinion, before I did so.
Once the cause is determined, there will likely be legal finger-pointing. Was it a defect in a car? Was it something the car loading crew did? The ship's crew? Unseaworthyness of the vessel?
Lots of work for lawyers for sure.
The following users liked this post:
CodyBigdog (02-21-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 03:39 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Originally Posted by politeperson
All all those lovely cars just gone. Terrible. The Bentley Lambos and Porsches would have been treasured for years, what a waste.

I am the biggest supporter of new technology you will ever meet and I have driven over 140,000 miles in electric cars.

Bring on V-TOL and hydrogen power, all fine by me.

The idea of driving a diesel or petrol engine car in a city is terrible for air quality. We all know that. It has been terrible for years.

However, if you you were just to replace all the 289,000,000 ICE cars in the USA with lithium powered electric cars overnight, or even a few years, would be an environmental disaster. Imagine the energy required to do that.

I think it might take a while.

Dont forget, plenty of electricity is generated by burning fossil fuels, just saying. Maybe 60% in 2020?

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3

Not to mention which, plenty of electricity is lost in transmission through the grid and transformers by the time it gets to your wheels.

So it is not as clear cut as some new Model 3 owners have been eulogizing to me recently. The electricity has to come from somewhere.

This is off topic, but -

I think this debated has raged on for many years. But for those interested, there are a number of authoritative and impartial studies that even when you factor in the carbon produced in the making of the batteries, the generation of the electricity to run the EV’s, etc…EV’s result in far fewer carbon emissions, than do ICE vehicles. The biggest hit for EV’s is in the first 3-5 years in compensating for the higher carbon footprint of the battery production. But after that break even point (ie 3-5 years depending on the size of the EV battery), the amount of carbon emissions contributed by EV cars, is significantly less than from ICE….and that is even before you consider that something like 30% of the energy produced in many western states, rely on renewable sources, like wind, solar and hydro.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-21-2022 at 03:40 PM.
peterdouglas (02-21-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 03:50 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 915 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by cmjohnson
What are the chances that at some point in the future the decision will be made that EVs can't share the same cargo ship with gas and diesel powered vehicles?

I think we've already found out that the realistic fire hazards are greater for EVs than fossil fueled vehicles. And as energy density get higher in future battery designs, I don't expect that trend to reverse.

EVs have a long way to go to be truly competitive with the internal combustion engine anyway. Quick, what is the volume and mass of an EV vehicle battery that gives 300 miles range in a specific vehicle,
as compared to the size and weight of a full tank of gas that will give you the same range? Well, a Taycan battery is close to 1400 pounds. And that's taken it as far as 280 miles in testing.

Battery energy density has a LONG way to go before it becomes pound-for-pound comparable to fossil fuels. Plus gas tanks don't self ignite just because someone poked a hole in them.

And, a discharged Li-Ion battery is still flammable. It just won't self-ignite if damaged while fully discharged. It's the heat generated in the short circuit in a charged battery that starts the electrolyte on fire.

I honestly think these factors are going to ensure that the internal combustion engine will be around for a long time to come. Trying to make an energy storage system truly SAFE when its very design is intrinsically
prone to self-ignition when damaged is a very tough problem to solve.
Indeed, put the EVs on a barge and tow it behind the ship. When it catches fire, cut the barge loose and save the ICE cars. If I had an EV, no way would I park it inside a garage attached to my house. Battery fires are fast moving and can't be extinguished.
Old 02-21-2022, 03:56 PM
unclemat
Pro

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
This is off topic, but -

I think this debated has raged on for many years. But for those interested, there are a number of authoritative and impartial studies that even when you factor in the carbon produced in the making of the batteries, the generation of the electricity to run the EV’s, etc…EV’s result in far fewer carbon emissions, than do ICE vehicles. The biggest hit for EV’s is in the first 3-5 years in compensating for the higher carbon footprint of the battery production. But after that break even point (ie 3-5 years depending on the size of the EV battery), the amount of carbon emissions contributed by EV cars, is significantly less than from ICE….and that is even before you consider that something like 30% of the energy produced in many western states, rely on renewable sources, like wind, solar and hydro.
It's miles really, not years. Per Volvo it is between 30-60k miles before you break even, depending on the source of the electricity. I do not believe the recycling aspect of the battery is factored in those numbers.

Ergo, many ICE Porsche cars will be cleaner than EV cars for many, many years, given average mileages.

Last edited by unclemat; 02-21-2022 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-21-2022, 03:59 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by nyca
Indeed, put the EVs on a barge and tow it behind the ship. When it catches fire, cut the barge loose and save the ICE cars. If I had an EV, no way would I park it inside a garage attached to my house. Battery fires are fast moving and can't be extinguished.

There seem to be a lot of EV’s these days. But I can’t recall ever reading or hearing about a EV car catching fire while sitting in someone’s driveway or garage? Have any data on that? Crashes, yes…but not while the car is turned off….that I have ever heard of. That said, I’m sure one can find an example of that happening, but I’m willing to bet that it’s an extremely rare event.

So, if by chance the cause of the fire turns out to be from one of the ICE vehicles on board….and not an EV….should we then propose putting all the ICE cars on a barge and cutting them lose is they catch fire?

The solution, no matter what the source is, cutting off/starving oxygen that allows the fire to continue. That would not be an easy engineering or practical solution, but I suspect with enough money, a solution could be found?

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-21-2022 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-21-2022, 04:17 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,459 Likes on 800 Posts

Aren't chevy bolts bursting into flames in people's driveways?

Responding as an ardent fan of EVs, fully aware that a union-designed and built GM product shouldn't be representative in a meaningful discussion about them; just providing a datapoint you seem to have missed.
Old 02-21-2022, 05:45 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by dhirm5
Aren't chevy bolts bursting into flames in people's driveways?

Responding as an ardent fan of EVs, fully aware that a union-designed and built GM product shouldn't be representative in a meaningful discussion about them; just providing a datapoint you seem to have missed.
Thx, I had forgotten about the problems with the Bolt. I thought GM had a number of recalls that fixed that problem on Bolts build around 2017? Are they still bursting in flames while parked? Seems like two issues were at play: poor design and poor battery manufacturing (from LG) quality control.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/a38252...vy-bolt-fires/

General Motors has announced a combination hardware and software solution to the battery problem in the Chevrolet Bolt and Bolt EUV that led to a series of recall notices over fire risks.

A spokeswoman for LG, the battery supplier, tells CR, “GM and LG have identified the presence of two rare simultaneous defects, found in the same battery cell, made during module manufacturing process.” GM explained that the cause is a torn anode tab and folded separator within the battery modules.“

Hruska believes that eradicating tears and folds is a worthwhile goal but that imperfections and variations—sometimes measuring fractions of a millimeter—are relatively common. “The design of the battery system also must be resilient enough to accommodate some imperfections without catastrophic failure,” he said.The most urgent purpose of an EV’s battery management system is to prevent overheating in one cell from spreading to the rest of the pack. The first safety measure is to produce near-flawless cells, and the second level of protection is to detect problematic cells and modules—and isolate them. “It’s two layers of safety engineering,” said analyst Sam Jaffe, vice president of Battery Storage Solutions at E Source, a research and consulting firm. “You don’t want a defective cell, but sometimes you still get them.”

Jaffe said, “In the Bolt’s case, both layers failed more than a dozen times.”

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-21-2022 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-21-2022, 05:54 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,459 Likes on 800 Posts

The recalls are through MY22, so it does seem many out there would still be vulnerable.
Old 02-21-2022, 05:59 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by dhirm5
The recalls are through MY22, so it does seem many out there would still be vulnerable.
Agree. I wonder whether any bolts have caught fire after they were repaired in the recall? Guess I better pay attention to any recalls I get on my Prius?

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-21-2022 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-21-2022, 06:13 PM
rjongco
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 123 Posts

My dealership told me they lost 32 cars in the fire
Old 02-21-2022, 07:16 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,863 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by unclemat
Nope. Maybe in Eurokolkhoz, not in Murica!
off topic I know, but yes even in ‘Murica. It may take a little longer here but Ford, GM etc. have made their positions clear on this.
Old 02-21-2022, 07:36 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,815 Likes on 984 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
off topic I know, but yes even in ‘Murica. It may take a little longer here but Ford, GM etc. have made their positions clear on this.
It’ll take a lot longer and the demand isn’t high here.
Old 02-21-2022, 08:54 PM
Daft Chief
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 86 Posts

Wow! This was an AMAZING read. I don’t want to derail the topic at hand here but I would love to read more fiction like this (adventure, exploration, engineering solutions) so if anyone has any recommendations, they would be greatly appreciated in PM or otherwise.

Hopeful for a similar recount of the tragedy of the Felicity Ace in the near future.
Old 02-21-2022, 09:42 PM
mksz51
Pro

Received 746 Likes on 285 Posts

https://www.carrcarr.com/recall-mill...ial-fire-risk/

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...sk/3353550001/

https://carbuzz.com/news/these-toyot...-catching-fire

https://www.total911.com/porsche-rev...991-gt3-fires/

You can do this all night long - pick a vehicle brand, find reports of fires / spontaneous combustion.

Much like medical care, you can find data to support whatever your view may be. Might be an N of 1, or 100. I think to castigate all EVs as evil and needing to park them in a concrete bunker is just plain silly. **** happens - and did happen. It's all speculation at best. Reality is within 10 years if you want to drive a new vehicle of ANY type the odds are strong it will be an EV. Doesn't mean I'm anxious to do it (although, I am looking forward to replacing my 2018 Macan with the EV model once the initial hysteria subsides) but it's just reality. Gasoline will still be available for some time.
peterdouglas (02-22-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 09:52 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 915 Likes on 510 Posts

Quick Reply: Car Transport Ship Felicity Ace Catches Fire Mid Atlantic