Sponsored by:

Car Transport Ship Felicity Ace Catches Fire Mid Atlantic

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 12:27 PM
undersky2
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
I saw the same estimates, but that would put the average car value at around $125K. I would have guessed that the higher number of VWs would have countered the much fewer Bently, Lambo and expensive Porsches to bring a lower average. Even using MSRP (or contract price) over inventory cost, it still feels a bit exaggerated to me.
VW makes most of the cars to sell to USA in USA. Shipping from Germany must be high end models like Golf R or Audi
Old 02-19-2022, 12:30 PM
GoBlue!
Pro

Received 261 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
When I say 1000 cars it’s all manufacturing capacity, and a 30B company has insurance to cover losses even if their fault so no customer harm.
Agree. There are supply chain/parts issues as well especially now but we are talking 1/3 of 1% of Porsche’s annual production numbers so I’m context it’s is a painful but small dent in production
Old 02-19-2022, 12:36 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Originally Posted by GoBlue!
Agree. There are supply chain/parts issues as well especially now but we are talking 1/3 of 1% of Porsche’s annual production numbers so I’m context it’s is a painful but small dent in production
No doubt there will be pain with the delays, but high class problems delayed Porsche why many are homeless. Not the same situation my 2015 GT3 was delayed with the whole engine replacement issues, and Porsche increased the warranty for 10 years on those cars. They have too much brand risk not to do this correctly, but global supple chain is the constraint I agree. Good luck to all waiting, but it’s still a car.
Old 02-19-2022, 01:11 PM
krabman
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 143 Posts

The soot is declared a hazardous waste in many cases. This is the black stuff you expect, sometimes it's the black stuff but thicker than expected, sometimes it takes on the consistency of a sludge or grease, sometimes it's like a tar. This I've seen, I'm told it can present in other ways. Were it me I would not want my car if it had been on that boat. The smoke has an almost magical ability to penetrate into things like closed electrical boxes that has to be seen to believe and soot is left behind. I'm reasonably sure any cars that (may have) survived aren't figuratively tainted, they're literally tainted by this soot.
Old 02-19-2022, 01:48 PM
pfdenver
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Nope..that the real data shown on TYD! Funny, not funny lol
Old 02-19-2022, 01:54 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,266 Posts

‘Damn, man you sound pretty bitter about Porsche. When I say 1000 cars it’s all manufacturing capacity, and a 30B company has insurance to cover losses even if their fault so no customer harm. By the way my neighbor is a Porsche lawyer he’s batting 1000 so far on his information over the years. Nickel and dime please tell me what manufacturer that doesn’t? Please tell me what manufacturer that will not charge you 200 plus per hour for service. I laugh when people say Mclaren will rip you off ………took my speedster in for service yesterday it was 1300.00 for 2 year service, and my Mclaren was 1500.00 for 5 year service. Want to drive expense cars man you will pay to play no matter what brand is all relative.
And you sound naive to assume 1,000 cars being “totaled”, is “no big deal” to Porsche. Porsche is the, or one of the most profitable automobile manufacturers in the world…and they didn’t get in that position by being cavalier with their finances. I’m pretty sure, besides being an embarrassment and huge inconvenience for Porsche, is also, potentially, represents some financial loss for the VW Group. .

As far as the “nickel and dime” statement, I’d like to refer you to any of the threads concerning “saggy seat bottoms”, and Porsche’s response to customer complaints on that issue (fyi - I am not one of them, so represent a neutral party). Furthermore, and after spending about $40K in options that probably cost half that, or are standard, on other premium cars…I have evidence that Porsche is like the movie theatre, where tickets cost $10 to see a hit, but another $20 for popcorn and a drink costing them $1.25. So spare me your assessment. That said, i was willing to pay the premiums they charged…so that’s on me, not Porsche.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-19-2022 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-19-2022, 01:56 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

This is the GM issue which was less severe than the current, and GM sent all the cars to be scrapped. No way I see Porsche doing anything with untitled cars vs recycle them all into metal.
https://robbreport.com/motors/cars/t...ed-1234656818/
That would also be my expectation…but curious about prior (relevant) history, and what Porsche did in those situations?

That said, if there are cars with no noticeable damage, yet, are deemed totaled…seems a huge waste to just turn them into scrap? Might Porsche donate to my non-profit automotive charity? 😂

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-19-2022 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-19-2022, 02:10 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
And you sound naive to assume 1,000 cars being “totaled”, is “no big deal” to Porsche. Porsche is the, or one of the most profitable automobile manufacturers in the world…and they didn’t get in that position by being cavalier with their finances. I’m pretty sure, besides being an embarrassment and huge inconvenience for Porsche, is also, potentially, represents some financial loss for the VW Group. .

As far as the “nickel and dime” statement, I’d like to refer you to any of the threads concerning “saggy seat bottoms”, and Porsche’s response to customer complaints on that issue (fyi - I am not one of them, so represent a neutral party). Furthermore, and after spending about $40K in options that probably cost half that, or are standard, on other premium cars…I have evidence that Porsche is like the movie theatre, where tickets cost $10 to see a hit, but another $20 for popcorn and a drink costing them $1.25. So spare me your assessment. That said, i was willing to pay the premiums they charged…so that’s on me, not Porsche.
Not arguing with you man ……100% will be covered by insurance, and yes 30B company not a big deal vs more so for the customers waiting. Enjoy your Porsche, you just don’t sound happy bro that’s all. …..naive I’m not I ran a 7B business before I retired at 52 last fall.
Old 02-19-2022, 02:17 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Not arguing with you man ……100% will be covered by insurance, and yes 30B company not a big deal vs more so for the customers waiting. Enjoy your Porsche, you just don’t sound happy bro that’s all. …..naive I’m not I ran a 7B business before I retired at 52 last fall.
RE: “100% will be covered by insurance”

Who’s insurance? Let’s say, for example, ( just for discussion purposes), it is determined, after a thorough investigation that one of Porsches EV’s was the cause of the fire? Ground zero for the fire. Maybe they didn’t disconnect some electrical connection, that should have been disconnected prior to shipping? Then who’s at fault? If that was the conclusion of the investigation, no way the insurance pays out a dime to reimburse them for damaged products…. for a mistake Porsche made (if that is the case). Furthermore, if it was determined that Porsche’s negligence was the cause of the fire, they might also be on the hook to reimburse the owners of the shipping company.

When fires are involved, it’s a long process to determine who’s at fault. I suspect, when the smoke finally clears 😂 (see what I did there?), that this ends up costing Porsche more than simply bad PR.

Good time to be a lawyer.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-19-2022 at 02:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Schwarz992C4S (02-19-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 02:19 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Received 1,449 Likes on 518 Posts

Porsche is not the loser here, the cars are insured for loss during shipping. The real losers here are the DEALERS. They are making record profits on every vehicle, they have no recourse for the loss of revenue on these allocations. I feel sorry for the dealers that had already banked the money on these allocations.
Old 02-19-2022, 02:21 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,673 Likes on 2,092 Posts

Originally Posted by remington
Porsche is not the loser here, the cars are insured for loss during shipping. The real losers here are the DEALERS. They are making record profits on every vehicle, they have no recourse for the loss of revenue on these allocations. I feel sorry for the dealers that had already banked the money on these allocations.
Every car will be replaced…how are the dealers losing?
Old 02-19-2022, 02:25 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by remington
Without actually reading the insurance contract/policy, I’m not so sure? As the former owner of a high tech company, myself, I’ve never seen any insurance policy for my company, my employees, my home, cars, boat, etc, etc that waived any and all responsibilities I had as the owner. With ownership comes responsibilities. If the conclusion is that, through some negligence of the part of Porsche (their car, or employee, etc) that they were at fault, or even partially at fault for the fire, I don’t see too many insurance companies picking up the entire tab for reimbursement. Maybe car company insurance policies are different from what I am use do? Don’t know?

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-19-2022 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-19-2022, 02:28 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Every car will be replaced…how are the dealers losing?

The SA’s don’t get paid until they deliver cars to customers. Are you suggesting there will be no delays in deliveries?
Old 02-19-2022, 02:29 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
RE: “100% will be covered by insurance”

Who’s insurance? Let’s say, for example, ( just for discussion purposes), it is determined, after a thorough investigation that one of Porsches EV’s was the cause of the fire? Ground zero for the fire. Maybe they didn’t disconnect some electrical connection, that should have been disconnected prior to shipping? Then who’s at fault? If that was the conclusion of the investigation, no way the insurance pays out a dime to reimburse them for damaged products…. for a mistake Porsche made (if that is the case). Furthermore, if it was determined that Porsche’s negligence was the cause of the fire, they might also be on the hook to reimburse the owners of the shipping company.

When fires are involved, it’s a long process to determine who’s at fault.

Good time to be a lawyer.

Ok, I will entertain this once 30B public company has to have insurance for catastrophic events and it’s deemed “no fault” Insurance will pay out, and your policy can sky rocket. Simple terms you burn your house down because of a faulty wire you didn’t fix ……your insurance will cover minus fault. Once they sift through 4000 burned cars have fun to say car X started the fire ……one could argue shipping company took possession of the property, and didn’t have the proper equipment to stop the fire? Again this could go adrift on speculation, but my only point to you was insurance will cover and it’s really about the customers in my mind not Porsche.
Old 02-19-2022, 02:34 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Ok, I will entertain this once 30B public company has to have insurance for catastrophic events and it’s deemed “no fault” Insurance will pay out, and your policy can sky rocket. Simple terms you burn your house down because of a faulty wire you didn’t fix ……your insurance will cover minus fault. Once they sift through 4000 burned cars have fun to say car X started the fire ……one could argue shipping company took possession of the property, and didn’t have the proper equipment to stop the fire? Again this could go adrift on speculation, but my only point to you was insurance will cover and it’s really about the customers in my mind not Porsche.
I have (and suspect neither does anybody here) no knowledge of maritime or international laws governing liability and indemnification on incidents that had a preventable cause, ie, not an “act of God” catastrophe, but a man-made catastrophe. But common sense, especially give the $$$ involved, the lawyers will point fingers towards the party responsible?

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-19-2022 at 03:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Car Transport Ship Felicity Ace Catches Fire Mid Atlantic