Car Transport Ship Felicity Ace Catches Fire Mid Atlantic

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2022, 09:08 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,807 Likes on 979 Posts

Originally Posted by breny4104
He's a civilian working for DoD
Exactly this! Even if he weren’t though, there’s more nuance to this whole vaccination thing and the way people feel about this particular vaccination push. Me and my law enforcement colleagues are fighting the same fight(s).

Last edited by M3Inline6; 02-26-2022 at 09:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
hutto4hippos (02-26-2022)
Old 02-26-2022, 09:10 PM
CodyBigdog
On temporary vacation

Received 2,231 Likes on 1,264 Posts

He's a civilian working for DoD

I thought, in January, a Federal Court ruled that the Government could not require the COVID vaccine of civilian federal employees? I can’t see how he could be “banned” given the court’s ruling?

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-26-2022 at 09:21 PM.
Old 02-26-2022, 09:13 PM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
I thought, in January, a Federal Court ruled that the Government could not require the COVID vaccine of civilian federal employees?
He was in Germany and they may require it for foreigners to travel or live there.
Old 02-26-2022, 09:16 PM
CodyBigdog
On temporary vacation

He was in Germany and they may require it for foreigners to travel or live there.
True, but he would have been informed of that…before going to Germany.

After being discharged from the military, my job required me (as part of a DoD contact) to visit a country that had certain vaccination requirements. I was informed and vaccinated before I departed.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-26-2022 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-26-2022, 09:24 PM
hutto4hippos
4th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like Dr Fauci joined the forum! This is not a Covid forum. All I have to say about my situation is LET'S GO BRANDON!.
I will post again when I get word from the shipping company as to what happened to my car.
The following 5 users liked this post by hutto4hippos:
981KMAN (02-26-2022), audimotion (02-27-2022), jrnottarts (03-02-2022), M3Inline6 (02-26-2022), trongngo97 (02-28-2022)
Old 02-26-2022, 09:30 PM
Guzzgreg
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

I thought, in January, a Federal Court ruled that the Government could not require the COVID vaccine of civilian federal employees?
That is correct it was blocked on 21 January. But it’s a bit more complicated than that. If he is working in the private sector FOR the DoD and is not a federal employee his employer can require him to be vaccinated.

BTW Cody I received so many vaccinations when I was in the Marine Corps too. Also I have absolutely no idea what they were. And as you know you had no choice. By that I mean you were getting vaccinated conscious or unconscious but you were getting vaccinated.
Don’t know what branch you were in but did you get the “peanut butter shot”?
Old 02-26-2022, 09:56 PM
CodyBigdog
On temporary vacation

Originally Posted by hutto4hippos
Looks like Dr Fauci joined the forum! This is not a Covid forum. All I have to say about my situation is LET'S GO BRANDON!.
I will post again when I get word from the shipping company as to what happened to my car.
And what does your initial post have to do with Porche’s, let alone the 992? Oh, and where’s your proof the fire was started by Li batteries?

Finally - I’d rather have “BRANDON” than the lying seditionist.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-26-2022 at 09:58 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
detansinn (02-26-2022), Go Bruins (02-26-2022), nwGTS (03-01-2022), peterdouglas (02-27-2022), SamD (02-27-2022)
Old 02-26-2022, 10:01 PM
CodyBigdog
On temporary vacation

Originally Posted by Guzzgreg
That is correct it was blocked on 21 January. But it’s a bit more complicated than that. If he is working in the private sector FOR the DoD and is not a federal employee his employer can require him to be vaccinated.

BTW Cody I received so many vaccinations when I was in the Marine Corps too. Also I have absolutely no idea what they were. And as you know you had no choice. By that I mean you were getting vaccinated conscious or unconscious but you were getting vaccinated.
Don’t know what branch you were in but did you get the “peanut butter shot”?

Got it. Thx.

I was in the Navy. Communications officer.

It was two lifetimes ago that I was vaccinated while in the military….so, like you really have no clue/remember what I was vaccinated for. Never heard of the “peanut butter shot”? Maybe under a different name?
Schwarz992C4S (02-26-2022)
Old 02-26-2022, 10:25 PM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 286 Posts

Got it. Thx.

I was in the Navy. Communications officer.

It was two lifetimes ago that I was vaccinated while in the military….so, like you really have no clue/remember what I was vaccinated for. Never heard of the “peanut butter shot”? Maybe under a different name?
Getting vaccinated in the Army was an assembly line. This was in '88... you walked through a gauntlet of people 2x2 - on either side of you - and they vaccinated you with the air gun type shots. It was crazy.
Guzzgreg (02-27-2022)
Old 02-26-2022, 10:37 PM
CodyBigdog
On temporary vacation

Getting vaccinated in the Army was an assembly line. This was in '88... you walked through a gauntlet of people 2x2 - on either side of you - and they vaccinated you with the air gun type shots. It was crazy.
I pre-date you by about a decade, 1980. The Navy was a bit more civilized. I reported to the Navy Medical Center in San Diego. Shot in each arm…and repeat in a week. Repeat. I don’t think I had as many vaccines as they administer today? But like I said…two lifetimes ago.

Old 02-26-2022, 10:53 PM
2GSDs
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

@hutto4hippos , yes, I think they will compensate you. They have to have coverage for this sort of thing.
Sorry about your car… the entire situation stinks.
Old 02-26-2022, 11:06 PM
Schwarz992C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 117 Posts

Same for me when I joined the Navy in 1974. Assembly line shots with airguns and no idea of what was in them. Same thing during Iranian/Afghanistan Crisis and Gulf War. Take the shot or discharge out of the service.
The following 2 users liked this post by Schwarz992C4S:
Guzzgreg (02-27-2022), rouxeny (02-27-2022)
Old 02-27-2022, 01:21 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by hutto4hippos
I'm not active duty but I am with DoD. I deported myself back to the US since I got banned from work for being unvaccinated. I paid $2300 to have it shipped to Austin.
Sorry for your loss of your car. Yes it is lost. You wouldnt likely want it back even if they could give it to you unharmed due to the unknown issues and hazards of it being in that condition (fire/fumes/smoke/heat/etc) for over a week. Even the shipping company should deny delivery from you if they are following what is good advice from their lawyers and any occupational medicine expert out there. Should you develop a medical issue or have the vehicle fail due to something related to the Felicity Ace fire 1 week or 10 months or 10 years later they would have nothing to stand on unless they had you sign a FULL liability waiving like everything. Not even sure that would be legal in a court under full examination as they'd have to release ANY hazard to you even those they don't know about to probably stand up in a court. So your car is gone and probably for the best.

As for the other not so good side of thing...since you were not shipping it on your own accord via the military VPC then the govt's liability to pay for it is limited to none. If you were moved at "govt expense" or under orders that would be totally different and you'd probably have some leg to stand on with JAG/legal on a claim via your TMO (transportation movement office) and military claims process. Sounds like you were basically given the option to vaccinate and keep working in your current position or leave your position due to CoVID19 laws. That is legal and real situation which you had an option to do 1 or the other which you unfortunately presented in a subjective manner in your above statement as the vaccination laws and guidance are being driven in part by CINC and OPM directive which DOD has mandated for all GS workers both CONUS and OCONUS. Copy that is legally being challenged in courts but still upheld currently but the part you do not allude to is you mention coming from Germany and that is why your vehicle was on the Felicity Ace...unfortunately host nation rules override even DOD guidance at this time so IF Germany says vaccinated or else that is the law...no ifs or buts about it. Thus your move back home was not so much on the US govt but the national government of the country who you were working in. They have national sovereignty and decision space on these issues so yes either you vaccinated or you were essentially deported at some point as the military facility you worked for is/was still responsible to the German govt likely for your vaccination and thus also immigration status. Lots of these countries around the world still do not play with COVID19 vaccination and entry requirements so unfortunately that drove you to a decision which placed your car on the Felicity Ace.

So yep Sucks all around but the situation likely MAY affect your recovery options. Military will not pay for it as stated above for the reasons I explained. You shipped it yourself it looks like thru a private shipper and that may be a bad thing as many do carry only limited damage coverage and not full value...read or shall I say re-read the contract on the bill of lading very carefully especially the part on damages and claims. You may be unpleasantly surprised as I've found many limit damages to some maritime rate which caps out well below full replacement value. If that is so hope your insurance will cover it in full or gap the difference or is willing to go after the shipping company for differences. Some have maritime coverage and clauses in the main policy to cover them..especially those used to coverage for military members who many not only drive their cars overseas but ship them there! As noted above if shipped via the VPO and TMO process on the military dime then all that is covered via full compensation/replacement value claim...but with the insurers of the vessel/shipping company AND/OR your own insurance company it may not. Some shippers will offer you "premium" insurance to cover this potential problem also but you have to read all the fine lines/print on each and often talk to all parties to know what you are getting man.

Lots of folks don't know thi and assume and 99% of the time it works out okay or the dented fender at the port is an easily covered fix (one they can even pay out at port before you even leave with the vehicle on delivery) but 1% of the time the Felicity Ace will happen and you'll get screwed! Am AD military and am in the senior ranks so have a clue and then some on all you've mentioned as its part of my job to execute and know the policies around such things as well as have shipped more than my share of vehicles thru the ports to lands far away as have countless friends over the last 2+ decades. Always a sporty process and adventure till you see your car safely on the other side! LOL. Good luck with your claim and full reimbursement...we're rooting for you!
Calbenzo (02-27-2022)
Old 02-27-2022, 07:36 AM
Guzzgreg
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Schwarz992C4S
Same for me when I joined the Navy in 1974. Assembly line shots with airguns and no idea of what was in them. Same thing during Iranian/Afghanistan Crisis and Gulf War. Take the shot or discharge out of the service.
\
Same here 1974. I still remember the sound of that air gun.
Old 02-27-2022, 08:34 AM
JPJRJR70
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

I pre-date you by about a decade, 1980. The Navy was a bit more civilized. I reported to the Navy Medical Center in San Diego. Shot in each arm…and repeat in a week. Repeat. I don’t think I had as many vaccines as they administer today? But like I said…two lifetimes ago.
Holy Crap!! I remember that!! In ‘88 when I joined the Navy I too was told to go they the assembly line and get your shots!! When I asked what I was getting?? You are now owned by the US Government, keep moving and get your fill of vaccination and ****s!! 4 years of active duty including Desert Storm/Shield along with 20 years of Navel Reserves, I still am proud to serve this beautiful country! From Enlisted to Officer, no regrets!! Jose
Guzzgreg (02-27-2022)

Quick Reply: Car Transport Ship Felicity Ace Catches Fire Mid Atlantic