Sponsored by:

Car Transport Ship Felicity Ace Catches Fire Mid Atlantic

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 11:40 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,197 Posts

Originally Posted by tomingrassia
Very odd since 911 is in general is best for reliability.
A lot depends on methodology….and a lot of these reliability surveys arrive at their conclusions based on customer response surveys.My own opinion is - many Porsche owners are so enamored with their new Porsche’s…infatuated…they often are less critical of the car flaws. That said, I love my 992, but it does have some flaws…and more than some cars rating lower. But I still enjoy the car, immensely.

Years ago I carried on a discussion with the head of CR on their methodology. I said it was flawed and the President/CEO disagreed. My point to him was very simple - at that time, CR rated all reliability issues/flaws, equally. They were all given the same weight. For example, a reliability issue with the transmission, would have the same reliability “score” as the car with a burnt out light. I believe that CR ultimately corrected this, and no longer weights (to determine a products reliability index) equally.

My point here is - Be careful when drawing conclusions based on statistics…they can be manipulated/misleading. Unfortunately, most Americans are not interested in understanding the results, they just want things summarized in very simple terms, Dumbed down.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-24-2022 at 11:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
icanthelpit (02-24-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 12:16 PM
joedughman
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts

Good objective post.
Old 02-24-2022, 02:21 PM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by tomingrassia
Similar to Nick Murray!
Murray didn't have an engine problem. He explained in a recent video that there was some electrical module that was replaced but there was a software mis-match because components, which have to be VIN-matched to the car, came from different model years so the car kept throwing codes.
The car was eventually fixed and re-sold in Texas he said.
The following users liked this post:
NYCGT3 (02-26-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 02:23 PM
JPR_2022_992
5th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by audimotion
I feel your frustration as I too was hoping for a new delivery to be fairly soon after the ship fire. 2-3 months was what I was hoping for especially after Porsche was going to "prioritize" replacement builds. Guess I was way wrong. My replacement cars build date is mid June! Then another couple months for transport and dealer delivery. And that is if all goes well. So at the moment, it will be ANOTHER 6 months.
Yeah, if my production date isn't until fall, I may go a different route.
The following 2 users liked this post by JPR_2022_992:
audimotion (02-24-2022), NYCGT3 (02-24-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 10:29 PM
malba2366
Burning Brakes

Received 697 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by joedughman
Gents-Please clear this up for me. Are the orders apparently lost on the FA going to take priority over other orders or not? Thanks
They will probably prioritize as early as they can. Porsches come in thousands of configurations, and with the just in time delivery of parts from suppliers they can't just put replacement cars to the front of the line as they won't have all the right parts.
Old 02-25-2022, 12:48 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,026 Likes on 4,871 Posts

Originally Posted by westcoastj
Looks like some owners are getting free upgrades as compensation?

VW Group Dealers Notifying People Their New Car Burned Out In Ship Fire (msn.com)

"It's going to cause us even more shipping delays because we now have one less transport vessel," a Porsche dealer from suburban Philadelphia told Automotive News. In order to compensate a customer for an expected four-month delay in the delivery of his brand new Cayenne, the dealer had to upgrade the vehicle to the Platinum trim at no cost. “The Platinum is more expensive than the original order. But we are keeping the pricing the same for the customer."
I think that's pretty good spin by Porsche's marketing dept.

The Platinum edition is merely a cosmetic package (black Satin finish to the exterior bits, some interior bits with textured aluminum) as well as some standalone options included as standard (like LED headlights, Bose, sunroof, etc.).

So depending on what the original build was, which I imagine probably included things like LED headlights, sunroof, Bose), then the only thing they are upgrading to is the black satin paint on the outside. Whoopee!
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
icanthelpit (02-25-2022), M3Inline6 (02-25-2022)
Old 02-25-2022, 01:14 PM
scottjays
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Video from ship...sorry if already posted

Old 02-25-2022, 09:27 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 787 Likes on 439 Posts

They have a team that boarded the ship today.
Old 02-26-2022, 06:40 PM
hutto4hippos
4th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default It wasn't just luxury cars onboard the Felicity Ace...

There are 3965 cars inside the Felicity Ace, most of them luxury cars and hundreds of supercars. What most people don't know is that there are a few normal people everyday cars in there, mostly from military personnel overseas. My 2017 VW Jetta is in there. I know of a guy from my area in Germany who lost his 2015 Mustang. I have USAA comprehensive insurance with Maritime insurance so they should pay off my car loan.
I have no idea if the shipping companies involved will compensate me for anything. I've read shipping companies normally have little liability. That may not be the case if negligence was involved, but this fire was very likely started by lithium batteries on electric cars.
I paid $2300 to have my car shipped from Kaiserslautern to Austin and I will demand a refund when the loss is confirmed. I believe ALL cars in the ship must be damaged beyond repair. A Japanese company owns the ship but Volkswagen Logistics runs the operation. I have no idea if these companies may owe us anything for our losses.
The shipping company emailed my asking what is the current value of my car. You guys think they may compensate me?

Old 02-26-2022, 07:03 PM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

Received 448 Likes on 279 Posts

are you in the military? They don't pay for vehicle shipping anymore?
Old 02-26-2022, 07:18 PM
hutto4hippos
4th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not active duty but I am with DoD. I deported myself back to the US since I got banned from work for being unvaccinated. I paid $2300 to have it shipped to Austin.
Old 02-26-2022, 07:55 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Zero sympathy, for any soldier who disobeys an order, without a justified exemption. Clearly, the military is not for you, but appreciate your honesty.

PS - Yes, I was in the military, and come from a military family

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...d-vaccine.html

Soldiers have limited options to refuse the COVID-19 vaccine, and may have a hard time claiming an exemption if they have never protested a dozen-plus other vaccines the Defense Department mandates for all troops, according to new Army guidelines.Punishments for troops, especially senior leaders, who steadfastly refuse without an exemption could include discharge.”

Full list of REQUIRED (before basic training) vaccines in the military:

https://www.newsweek.com/list-vaccin...-covid-1641228
  • Adenovirus
  • Hepatitis A
  • Hepatitis B
  • Influenza
  • Measles, mumps, rubella
  • Meningococcal
  • Poliovirus
  • Tetanus-Diphtheria
  • Varicella
Other vaccines administered depending on risk and occupation:
  • Anthrax
  • Haemophilus influenzae type B
  • Japanese encephalitis
  • Pneumococcal
  • Rabies
  • Smallpox
  • Typhoid fever
  • Yellow fever

If you have a documented history of protesting these vaccines, you may have grounds not to be required to take the COVID vaccine.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-26-2022 at 08:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
dhirm5 (02-27-2022), Go Bruins (02-26-2022)
Old 02-26-2022, 08:45 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,437 Likes on 785 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Zero sympathy, for any soldier who disobeys an order, without a justified exemption. Clearly, the military is not for you, but appreciate your honesty.

PS - Yes, I was in the military, and come from a military family

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...d-vaccine.html

Soldiers have limited options to refuse the COVID-19 vaccine, and may have a hard time claiming an exemption if they have never protested a dozen-plus other vaccines the Defense Department mandates for all troops, according to new Army guidelines.Punishments for troops, especially senior leaders, who steadfastly refuse without an exemption could include discharge.”

Full list of REQUIRED (before basic training) vaccines in the military:

https://www.newsweek.com/list-vaccin...-covid-1641228
  • Adenovirus
  • Hepatitis A
  • Hepatitis B
  • Influenza
  • Measles, mumps, rubella
  • Meningococcal
  • Poliovirus
  • Tetanus-Diphtheria
  • Varicella
Other vaccines administered depending on risk and occupation:
  • Anthrax
  • Haemophilus influenzae type B
  • Japanese encephalitis
  • Pneumococcal
  • Rabies
  • Smallpox
  • Typhoid fever
  • Yellow fever

If you have a documented history of protesting these vaccines, you may have grounds not to be required to take the COVID vaccine.
Ummmm….what a way to take it from 0-100 without knowing his personal circumstances.
The following 3 users liked this post by M3Inline6:
hutto4hippos (02-26-2022), jrnottarts (03-02-2022), surquhar (02-26-2022)
Old 02-26-2022, 08:58 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by M3Inline6
Ummmm….what a way to take it from 0-100 without knowing his personal circumstances.
I don’t need to know his personal circumstances. I’m not the one who discharged (“banned”) him. If he has a legit case, then he appeals the decision, based on the military’s recognized exemptions. But it sounds like either he had no case, or appealed and was denied. The military has it rules, and as I said, it’s not for everyone.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-26-2022 at 09:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
Go Bruins (02-26-2022), user 8298308 (03-01-2022)
Old 02-26-2022, 09:00 PM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

Received 448 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
I don’t need to know his personal circumstances. I’m not the one who discharged (“banned”) him. If he has a legit case, then he appeals the decision, based on the military’s recognized exemptions.
He's a civilian working for DoD
The following 2 users liked this post by breny4104:
M3Inline6 (02-26-2022), surquhar (02-26-2022)

Quick Reply: Car Transport Ship Felicity Ace Catches Fire Mid Atlantic