Sponsored by:

Car Transport Ship Felicity Ace Catches Fire Mid Atlantic

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 04:35 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,304 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Last count about 1,100 Porsches + unknown number of VDubs of all designations from the 2,500 vehicles on board.

For those who don't speak/read Spanish/Portuguese, video from the Portuguese Navy shows the extent of the damage.

Cause etc. let's not speculate. Glad no one was injured or died and hopefully Porsche will make this right, as for owners, can't fathom what another delay means.

The Felicity is owned by Mitsui OSK Lines of Japan with the crew being evacuated to Faial Island about 100 miles from the ship in flames and adrift. Tugs are being contacted to tow it to the nearest port but it could be declared a total loss.

https://www.clarin.com/autos/buque-i...kPi6frIhB.html

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 02-17-2022 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-17-2022, 04:39 PM
Lucent
Instructor

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
Last count about 1,100 Porsches + unknown number of VDubs of all designations from the 2,500 vehicles on board.

For those who don't speak/read Spanish/Portuguese, video from the Portuguese Navy shows the extent of the damage.

Cause etc. let's not speculate. Glad no one was injured or died and hopefully Porsche will make this right, as for owners, can't fathom what another delay means.

The Felicity is owned by Mitsui OSK Lines of Japan with the crew being evacuated to Faial Island about 100 miles from the ship in flames and adrift. Tugs are being contacted to tow it to the nearest port but it could be declared a total loss.

https://www.clarin.com/autos/buque-i...kPi6frIhB.html

siberian
The video is definitely not the Felicity Ace. It may be them picking the Felicity Ace crew off the tanker.

Last edited by Lucent; 02-17-2022 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-17-2022, 04:48 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The first images are, the rest are of the crew salvage off the tanker

siberian
Old 02-17-2022, 04:51 PM
Lucent
Instructor

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts

The first images are, the rest are of the crew salvage off the tanker

siberian
Yes... Sorry, I missed the first couple seconds of the video. Still can't figure the smoke being White.
Old 02-17-2022, 05:01 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,651 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by Skarz
Quote: “If the fire was really that bad, the ship would have sunk already, every car on it has at least a gallon of gasoline in it, once the first one goes up - they all would start to blow in sequence.”

I do not think cars with a small quantity of gas “blow”. Too many movies….
Cars don't "blow" with any amount of gas. An explosion requires rapid burn and pressure and you simply don't get that with a car fire. Now some shock may blow and the bumpers may blow but the car does not explode.

Regardless, my bet is that the remainder of the cars will be totaled from the smoke damage alone. More often that not, more damage is caused by smoke and water than the fire itself.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (02-17-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 05:06 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I think it's best not to speculate what caused the fire but to post any developments as to Porsche's official position on this, whether the ship is salvageable enough to be towed to a harbor given meteorological conditions or whether it will just be allowed to burn and sink or just be sunk to prevent collisions etc.

There will be an inquest and plenty of time to determine what happened. Let's not derail this thread and keep it informative and meaningful. TY

siberian
Old 02-17-2022, 05:17 PM
brianja
Rennlist Member

Received 690 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by krabman
How these things go down is not well understood. I should also say up front that this isn't a call out, I don't think you had any animosity or ill intent and what follows is just to try and describe to you and others who might be interested what they're looking at in the case of a fire at sea. There is no way to keep this short so the cliff notes would be that it's just possible you might want to cut those men some slack. I should preface this by saying I'm not familiar with this type but I can share some generalities. I'm going to bounce around a bit because these things are all interrelated...
@krabman <slow clap> I already "liked" this post, but wanted to acknowledge it directly. Thank you for sharing these insights with the group. This was a really interesting read.
tomingrassia (02-17-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 05:35 PM
Porsche757
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 25 Posts

I think it's best not to speculate what caused the fire but to post any developments as to Porsche's official position on this, whether the ship is salvageable enough to be towed to a harbor given meteorological conditions or whether it will just be allowed to burn and sink or just be sunk to prevent collisions etc.

There will be an inquest and plenty of time to determine what happened. Let's not derail this thread and keep it informative and meaningful. TY

siberian
It's fine to speculate while evidence is gathered. We are naturally curious creatures and speculation helps us feel at ease plus it's interesting.
Old 02-17-2022, 05:40 PM
CodyBigdog
On temporary vacation

Received 2,231 Likes on 1,264 Posts

I will “speculate” that this thread will go on for a long time, so I’m out.

Glad to hear that those involved were not hurt. It sucks if your car was on this ship, but you will be made whole again, I’m sure…although it will take some time. In the meantime, think of the great story you have to tell your grandkids, neighbors and colleagues.
The following 2 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
dhirm5 (02-17-2022), woobiee (02-17-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 06:14 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,454 Likes on 758 Posts

First- Like everyone here; so glad no one was seriously injured

Second- this will affect all of us who have orders in that not have not already been produced. Meaning, those that had cars on this boat will certainly be delayed but knowing Porsche they will probably push these spots in front which will further delay all of us in question.

Yes - this is going to suck for most of us.

Old 02-17-2022, 07:16 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,268 Likes on 640 Posts

OMG... I just read an article on maritime law and how because the ship is now abandoned its technically "finders keepers". I love maritime law. I've got an industrial water pump and a big hose. Who's with me! Lets go get her.... We'll split the bounty!
The following 4 users liked this post by slc4s:
911Stiller (02-18-2022), aggie57 (02-17-2022), BAreaTransplant (02-17-2022), tomingrassia (02-17-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 07:22 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche757
It's fine to speculate while evidence is gathered. We are naturally curious creatures and speculation helps us feel at ease plus it's interesting.
Take speculation to the Off Topic thread as it's not a 992 topic.

It's unknown how many Porsche vehicles are onboard, how many 992s or what the cause of this fire was. If you want to speculate then by all means the Off Topic forum is meant for that. Let's keep this with as I mentioned facts, position of Porsche on this issue and any legal or other findings affecting 992s to those whose orders are affected by this. Thank you

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 02-17-2022 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-17-2022, 07:39 PM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 189 Posts

Take speculation to the Off Topic thread as it's not a 992 topic.

It's unknown how many Porsche vehicles are onboard, how many 992s or what the cause of this fire was. If you want to speculate then by all means the Off Topic forum is meant for that. Let's keep this with as I mentioned facts, position of Porsche on this issue and any legal or other findings affecting 992s to those whose orders are affected by this. Thank you

siberian
on that basis, this entire thread should be removed, since not 992-specific.
what is the advantage to 992-subscribers of proliferating another thread or forum on the subject?
Old 02-17-2022, 07:43 PM
///BYU
1st Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by krabman
How these things go down is not well understood...
I joined Rennlist just so I could like this post.
The following 3 users liked this post by ///BYU:
Go Bruins (02-17-2022), null (02-17-2022), tomingrassia (02-17-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 07:44 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Go Bruins
Will Porsche do anything for the folks who lost their cars? I was thinking some sort of discount, an allowance for options or upgrades, or complimentary rental. And certainly moving them to the front of the line. Those would be nice gestures.
No owner has paid for the car. In fact it still belongs to porsche. The dealers haven't paid for the car either. I don't see how anyone would be out anything for something they haven't even paid for. It sounds cold but that is what it is, no?

it might be a different scenario if people already owned the cars, paid for it and then shipped it to a different location for whatever reasons and the ship went on fire. It would be an insurance thing for the owners of the cars at that point.
The following 2 users liked this post by yesyoucan:
981KMAN (02-18-2022), tomingrassia (02-17-2022)

Quick Reply: Car Transport Ship Felicity Ace Catches Fire Mid Atlantic