Sponsored by:

Car Transport Ship Felicity Ace Catches Fire Mid Atlantic

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2022, 08:23 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,131 Likes on 3,004 Posts

It’s been adrift and burning for several days. Every car on that ship is a loss. I wouldn’t cling to the hope that somehow your car is okay.
I’m sure that Porsche will give production priority to those impacted.

VW lost another carrier to fire in 2019. These things do happen. Cars burn pretty well (and hot), regardless of ICE or EV. It’s got the kind of hot that deforms steel, especially contained within the hold.
The following users liked this post:
Go Bruins (02-18-2022)
Old 02-18-2022, 08:48 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,651 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
With multiple decks and closed containers all hope is not gone yet. My car was not on the boat .
I cannot state it as a fact, but I don't think the ro ros have closed containers. I think they are generally open inside to increase carrying capacity. If the fire is not on one of the lower decks and burns up only there is a very small chance some cars below could survive. But fire transfers many ways - including conduction, which a big old steel ship is perfect for. Add in smoke and heat damage - these cars will have sat and baked in what is effectively a very large kiln for days - and I speculate (with Siberian's forgiveness) that the chance of these cars being salvageable is very low.

Very happy to hear you car missed the boat. My original schedule was to be complete on the 11th but I am still in production so I share the feeling of frustration turning to pure relief.
Go Bruins (02-18-2022)
Old 02-18-2022, 09:50 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,863 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Roro means "roll on / roll off", as in drive on / drive off. No containers. There's plenty of videos around showing them but this is a pretty good look around inside one.

The following 6 users liked this post by aggie57:
2GSDs (02-19-2022), 991.1 Guy (02-18-2022), doug_999 (02-18-2022), KBS911 (02-18-2022), mdrobc1213 (02-19-2022), T3X4S (02-18-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-18-2022, 10:00 AM
Carolina1
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 29 Posts

Just an FYI, My SA told me that there have been no Euro delivery for U.S cars since covid started so your scenario would be the case.
Old 02-18-2022, 10:11 AM
centaur
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Really hard to imagine something filled with this much monetary value and personal interest being ablaze and drifting at sea. Sad as it is weird. Insurance nightmare.
Old 02-18-2022, 10:27 AM
cmjohnson
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

It's kind of surprising that the ships aren't built to isolate fires at least from deck to deck. It seems to me that that wouldn't be so hard to engineer into their design and construction. Design them in such a way that a fire on one deck has no pathway to another deck. But I'm no maritime engineer.
Old 02-18-2022, 10:28 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,651 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Roro means "roll on / roll off", as in drive on / drive off. No containers. There's plenty of videos around showing them but this is a pretty good look around inside one.

https://youtu.be/RzrHJp7csxA
These are basically floating multi-level parking garages like you would find at a mall. Gives the true meaning of a car-go ship. Sorry, couldn't resist.
The following 2 users liked this post by Drew46:
SamD (02-18-2022), T3X4S (02-18-2022)
Old 02-18-2022, 10:37 AM
peterdouglas
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by cmjohnson
It's kind of surprising that the ships aren't built to isolate fires at least from deck to deck. It seems to me that that wouldn't be so hard to engineer into their design and construction. Design them in such a way that a fire on one deck has no pathway to another deck. But I'm no maritime engineer.
Perhaps the liftable-deck design of car carrier vessels makes deck-to-deck isolation difficult or impossible.
aggie57 (02-18-2022)
Old 02-18-2022, 11:25 AM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 752 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by cmjohnson
So, 800 Porsches. I do believe that's a little more than half a week's production, based on roughly 70,000 Porsches sold worldwide in 2021. I doubt they were built all together in the same week, they were probably scattered among several weeks' worth of production for all global markets. From what I've learned about Porsche's factory production videos, their production lines are flexible and each line can accomodate multiple models. On the same line a 911 GTS may be followed by a Cayman and that followed by a Boxster, then a 911 C4S Cabriolet. But not all models share one line. Turbos are built on their own line, as I understand it. I'd expect that the Panamera is built on a different line as well.

My point is that the loss sounds big to any of us. But to Porsche, it's a few day's production. As such I think it won't be difficult for them to replace all the destroyed vehicles in reasonable time.
Your point is correct, but Porsche makes about 270k cars annually, 70k are sold in the US.
porscheprestige (02-18-2022)
Old 02-18-2022, 11:30 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,608 Likes on 817 Posts

It’s a huge loss financially, I’m guessing there will be an enormous insurance payout to Porsche

....which will increase VW-Audi Group’s insurance premiums and, hence....

Higher costs passed down to VW, Audi, Porsche car buyers
Old 02-18-2022, 11:50 AM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 856 Likes on 419 Posts

I have a Macan GTS on that ship. Had Euro delivery been available I would have done that. So at least it's not my mess to clean up but we'll see how long until I get a replacement.
Old 02-18-2022, 11:50 AM
sdm100
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 111 Posts

Nosympathy for insurance companies
UncleDude (02-18-2022)
Old 02-18-2022, 02:58 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,149 Likes on 1,464 Posts

1,100 Porsches, 189 Bentleys according to the Washington Post today. Sad.

A huge cargo ship carrying thousands of luxury vehicles from Germany to the United States, including 1,100 Porsches, caught fire this week, forcing all 22 crew members to abandon ship and leave the vessel adrift in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.

A fire broke out Wednesday morning on the Felicity Ace, a ship about 650 feet long, near Portugal’s Azores Islands in the mid-Atlantic Ocean, according to the Portuguese navy. The ship departed from Emden, Germany, on Feb. 10 and was scheduled to complete its 13-day trip and arrive in Davisville, R.I., next week, according to VesselFinder, a ship tracking website. The Volkswagen Group estimated that nearly 4,000 cars were aboard the Felicity Ace, reported the Drive, an automotive website.

The Portuguese navy said it rescued all 22 crew members via helicopter. Authorities described the rescue mission as “highly skilled and physically demanding.” The crew members were taken to a hotel on Faial island in the Azores, a Portuguese island territory, according to the Associated Press. None of the crew members were injured in the fire.

The fire was still burning on the ship as of Friday, according to the Portuguese navy, and photos show white smoke billowing out of the vessel. Joao Mendes Cabecas, a captain of the nearby port of Hortas, told Reuters that lithium-ion batteries in the electric cars on the Felicity Ace have caught fire, but it’s unclear whether that is what started the fire.

“The ship is burning from one end to the other,” Cabecas said. “Everything is on fire about five meters [16 feet] above the water line.”

Angus Fitton, a spokesman with Porsche North America, told The Washington Post that the company was thankful that the Felicity Ace crew members are safe. He confirmed that “a number of our cars are among the cargo.”

“We are in contact with the shipping company, and the details of the cars on board are now known,” Fitton said. “While it remains too early to confirm what occurred and next steps, we are — along with our colleagues at Porsche AG — supporting our customers and our dealers as best we can to find solutions. Anyone concerned by this incident and the implications on the car they’ve ordered should contact their Porsche dealer.”

It remains unclear how many of the thousands of luxury vehicles onboard were lost in the blaze, but it’s likely millions of dollars worth. The Felicity Ace can carry more than 18,700 tons of cargo at a time.

Depending on the model of the Porsche, the average price for the German-made vehicle can range from $101,000 to $174,000, according to U.S. dealers. In addition to the Porsche and Volkswagen vehicles, there were also 189 Bentleys, the Drive reported. Newer model Bentleys can cost between $166,000 and $348,000, according to Car and Driver.

A spokesman for the Volkswagen Group confirmed that the Felicity Ace was transporting its vehicles to the United States but declined to elaborate on the extent of the losses.

“We are in contact with the shipping company to get more information about the incident,” said the spokesman, Dirk Ameer.

The Japanese shipping line Mitsui O.S.K. Lines, which operates the Felicity Ace, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The Felicity Ace was transporting vehicles from Germany to the United States when it caught fire this week. It's adrift in the Atlantic Ocean. (Tim Meko/TWP)The cargo ship fire is the latest wrinkle in the ongoing supply chain struggles that have impacted U.S. retailers since the start of the coronavirus pandemic. Disruptions in supply constraints have affected small businesses and mega corporations in recent months due to worker shortages fueled by the omicron variant. The U.S. Agriculture Department recently suspended imports of avocados from Mexico at a time when Americans celebrate one of their two most avocado-centric events: the Super Bowl. (The other is Cinco de Mayo.)

Crew members issued a distress signal Wednesday morning after a blaze was reported on one of the cargo decks. Soon thereafter, the ship was designated as “NUC” — not under command — and the crew members were swiftly evacuated, according to FleetMon, a ship-tracking database. "Welp, some folks aren’t getting their long-awaited Porsches and whatever else was on this boat,” wrote writer and photographer Zerin Dube.

That same day, Porsche acknowledged the Felicity Ace fire in notices sent to customers tracking the status of their cars.“We kindly ask for your patience while we work diligently on getting the Porsche of your dreams to you as quickly as possible,” the company wrote.

A Portuguese navy ship is monitoring the Felicity Ace to see whether the cargo ship is sinking or causing pollution, authorities said. A navy spokesperson told the AP that it’s unlikely the ship will be towed to a port in the Azores because of its massive size.

Matt Farah, a car enthusiast and editor of http://thesmokingtire.com/, is one of the customers who believes his vehicle is stuck at sea. Farah tweeted how he had been waiting for a 2022 Boxster Spyder since August that was modified to his specifications. The vehicle, which he
as “the best sports car of all time, hands down,” has a retail price of about $123,000.

But when he got the call from his dealer, he was left disappointed and stunned.

“My car is now adrift, possibly on fire, in the middle of the ocean,” he

While he’s not sure if his car survived the fire, Farah said it’s likely the vehicle that’s floating on a ship in the middle of an ocean will need to be rebuilt.

“Odds are a new build and hopefully not another 8 months wait for it,” he
Old 02-18-2022, 03:20 PM
Lander911
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 32 Posts

Latest picture. Doesn't look good. I heard from my dealer that they had 24 cars onboard.

Old 02-18-2022, 03:25 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,996 Likes on 1,736 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
It’s a huge loss financially, I’m guessing there will be an enormous insurance payout to Porsche

....which will increase VW-Audi Group’s insurance premiums and, hence....

Higher costs passed down to VW, Audi, Porsche car buyers
I would assume that the insurance claim will be against the ship's carrier, not Porsche's policy.

Quick Reply: Car Transport Ship Felicity Ace Catches Fire Mid Atlantic