Car Transport Ship Felicity Ace Catches Fire Mid Atlantic

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 11:00 PM
Jay99
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Angry Ship Full of Porsches on Fire headed to RI from Emden

Ship Carrying 1,100 Porsches and Other Luxury Cars Is Burning and Adrift

The Felicity Ace, ship full of luxury cars is shown on February 17, stranded in the middle of the Atlantic. It caught fire in the North Atlantic on Wednesday, as it carried cargo including Porsches and Volkswagens from Emden, Germany to Davisville, Rhode Island. After a fire broke out in the cargo hold, it spread and forced all 22 crew members to abandon ship. The crew was safely picked up by the Portuguese Navy.

Last edited by Jay99; 02-17-2022 at 11:02 PM.
Old 02-17-2022, 11:01 PM
BAreaTransplant
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by NYCGT3
My GT3 Touring is/was on that ship… 18 months of waiting… what a disaster. My words of wisdom. NEVER,EVER pre-trade a car…..EVER…
Duly Noted and sorry to hear it. My march production is not likely at this point
Old 02-17-2022, 11:20 PM
cmjohnson
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

So, 800 Porsches. I do believe that's a little more than half a week's production, based on roughly 70,000 Porsches sold in the US market, and about 300,000 worldwide in 2021. I doubt they were built all together in the same week, they were probably scattered among several weeks' worth of production for all global markets. From what I've learned about Porsche's factory production videos, their production lines are flexible and each line can accomodate multiple models. On the same line a 911 GTS may be followed by a Cayman and that followed by a Boxster, then a 911 C4S Cabriolet. But not all models share one line. Turbos are built on their own line, as I understand it. I'd expect that the Panamera is built on a different line as well.

My point is that the loss sounds big to any of us. But to Porsche, it's a few day's production. As such I think it won't be difficult for them to replace all the destroyed vehicles in reasonable time.

Last edited by cmjohnson; 02-18-2022 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-17-2022, 11:22 PM
Autobacs
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Cargo of Porsches - Friend lost his

Hey gang,

Check this out. I hope your cars are safe? Friend lost his potentially.....GT3 touring GT silver

Porsches onboard burning

Last edited by Autobacs; 02-17-2022 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-17-2022, 11:26 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,398 Likes on 2,210 Posts

Ignorant title (now edited), and do you really think you’re breaking news here 36 hours after this fire started? SMH

Last edited by UncleDude; 02-17-2022 at 11:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by UncleDude:
P-car-Vancouver (02-18-2022), Reata1 (02-17-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 11:50 PM
CodyBigdog
On temporary vacation

Received 2,231 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Gone national….

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/17/tech/...ars/index.html
Old 02-18-2022, 12:11 AM
porscheprestige
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by cmjohnson
So, 800 Porsches. I do believe that's a little more than half a week's production, based on roughly 70,000 Porsches sold worldwide in 2021. I doubt they were built all together in the same week, they were probably scattered among several weeks' worth of production for all global markets. From what I've learned about Porsche's factory production videos, their production lines are flexible and each line can accomodate multiple models. On the same line a 911 GTS may be followed by a Cayman and that followed by a Boxster, then a 911 C4S Cabriolet. But not all models share one line. Turbos are built on their own line, as I understand it. I'd expect that the Panamera is built on a different line as well.

My point is that the loss sounds big to any of us. But to Porsche, it's a few day's production. As such I think it won't be difficult for them to replace all the destroyed vehicles in reasonable time.
Not going to develop this much , as there is much wrong info, but FYI:
Panamera built in Leipzig and 911 in Zuffenhausen, Stuttgart. There are about 300 miles apart between both cities.
Old 02-18-2022, 12:17 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,565 Likes on 5,072 Posts

Originally Posted by inthesticks
I assume most owners have a pretty substantial down payment and have been waiting a long time - and through no fault of their own this has happened. I'd think Porsche would want to minimize any potential PR nightmares by taking the high road wherever possible.
What owner puts down a substantial down payment?

Maybe 5k as a deposit, if that. Never had to do it myself but I know it’s par for the course for many

Any owner who puts down more than a token deposit has no one to blame but themselves.
Old 02-18-2022, 12:19 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,565 Likes on 5,072 Posts

Originally Posted by mksz51
NOT necessarily true - IF someone had done European delivery they would have had to pay in full for the vehicle first. After their Euro vacation with their new 911 it then has to be shipped to the US - I would presume via the same process as a vehicle being delivered initially to a dealer. In that case you would be "out". It's a downside of Euro delivery - sometimes vehicles get damaged during transport. IF you hadn't taken delivery you would have the choice of refusing the vehicle and waiting for the next. IF you had purchased it via Euro delivery you're stuck with a repaired vehicle. It does happen.
An ED car really becomes the problem with submitting a claim with the insurance carrier.

Porsche is under no obligation to build you a brand new car after you’ve driven it for X,000 miles or kms in Europe.
Old 02-18-2022, 01:28 AM
ridestp
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by audimotion
This is quite devastating to hear. My first 992 S had an engine failure upon delivery, then ordered a replacement 992, and guess what...my new (replacement) 992 S is on the Felicity Ace!!! What are the odds. I'm speechless.
My GT3 Touring is/was on that ship… 18 months of waiting… what a disaster. My words of wisdom. NEVER,EVER pre-trade a car…..EVER…
Originally Posted by fwg
that’s exactly what I did and it’s been a nightmare. I traded mine in in December expecting my cayenne Gts coupe to arrive in December. Sat at the port for 3 months and decided to get on the ship that caught fire…
@audimotion @NYCGT3 @fwg , since this impacts multiple models and threads were scattered across the forums, I made a tracker thread in General to track those of us impacted and share the dealer/Porsche's response. I encourage you to post your info there: https://rennlist.com/forums/general-...ship-fire.html.
-ridestp (Boxster GTS, Felicity Ace RIP)
The following 3 users liked this post by ridestp:
audimotion (02-18-2022), Muckesäckele (02-20-2022), rouxeny (02-18-2022)
Old 02-18-2022, 07:14 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 755 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by cmjohnson
So, 800 Porsches. I do believe that's a little more than half a week's production, based on roughly 70,000 Porsches sold worldwide in 2021. I doubt they were built all together in the same week, they were probably scattered among several weeks' worth of production for all global markets. From what I've learned about Porsche's factory production videos, their production lines are flexible and each line can accomodate multiple models. On the same line a 911 GTS may be followed by a Cayman and that followed by a Boxster, then a 911 C4S Cabriolet. But not all models share one line. Turbos are built on their own line, as I understand it. I'd expect that the Panamera is built on a different line as well.

A Porsche spokesperson stated there were "1100 Porsches" on the boat . Its a horrible situation . https://www.autoblog.com/2022/02/17/...lkswagen-cars/

My dealership had 11 cars affected . They were awaiting any news . With multiple decks and closed containers all hope is not gone yet. My car was not on the boat . I missed it by the skin of my teeth as my car arrived at Emden on 2/11 .
I know the talk is everywhere . The theories range from the EV lithium batteries but no one knows , A leaking fuel tank and a tossed cigarette can burn a boat too. I feel its premature to conclude anything . If my car was on that boat I would prepare for anything but not write it off until I was told "its over" . Hang in there for those faced with this .
Old 02-18-2022, 07:36 AM
chong0
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

NPR just reported that the fire is not yet contained.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (02-18-2022)
Old 02-18-2022, 08:15 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,454 Likes on 758 Posts

Regardless of this disaster; your words of wisdom still stands. I had a 2014 GT3 on order and then they had the "stop sale" due to the engine fires and I sat w/o a car for over 9 months.

After that I never pre-traded again.
The following users liked this post:
Master Deep (02-18-2022)
Old 02-18-2022, 08:16 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,103 Likes on 2,997 Posts

There are a lot of RennListers impacted by this one. Thread is here…

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1289...-atlantic.html
Old 02-18-2022, 08:17 AM
inthesticks
Racer

Received 353 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
What owner puts down a substantial down payment?

Maybe 5k as a deposit, if that. Never had to do it myself but I know it’s par for the course for many

Any owner who puts down more than a token deposit has no one to blame but themselves.
A 10% deposit once the allocation is assigned is not uncommon. For a 200k car, thats 20k right there. Maybe thats not considered substantial to some, but it's more than the cost of some cars.

Quick Reply: Car Transport Ship Felicity Ace Catches Fire Mid Atlantic