992 Carrera T Club

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2023, 03:36 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,525 Likes on 5,054 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
Wait, so Porsche will install xpel prior to delivery in Atlanta? Now THAT's interesting!
Correct.

Installed by PCNA (if in the US)
Old 01-13-2023, 03:38 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,525 Likes on 5,054 Posts

Originally Posted by NYFlat6ix
I heard bad things about the Porsche installed PPF. Pre-cut pieces. Poor installation.
To be fair to Porsche, just about everyone uses "precut" pieces. Just sort of what you mean by "precut".

No installer out there is using one big sheet of PPF and then draping it over the car and then cutting it, bespoke, to the car's panels.

This is really a function of how the different manufacturers (Xpel, Suntek, 3M, etc.) deliver their products to the installers. It's all computer generated, CAD based, and you simply "print" out the pieces for the car at-issue.
Old 01-13-2023, 03:52 PM
tourenwagen
Three Wheelin'

Received 4,313 Likes on 1,181 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
To be fair to Porsche, just about everyone uses "precut" pieces. Just sort of what you mean by "precut".

No installer out there is using one big sheet of PPF and then draping it over the car and then cutting it, bespoke, to the car's panels.

This is really a function of how the different manufacturers (Xpel, Suntek, 3M, etc.) deliver their products to the installers. It's all computer generated, CAD based, and you simply "print" out the pieces for the car at-issue.
Precut is fine as long as the sheets are big enough to tuck the edges. The older stuff was slightly smaller than the panel and those edges would always lift and collect dirt.
The following 2 users liked this post by tourenwagen:
Bearrun21 (01-14-2023), Gibberish (01-13-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 04:38 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,720 Posts

My installer sometimes uses pre-cut pieces (ie, for bumpers where there are holes pre-cut for sensors which would be very hard to perfectly cut by hand) and other times custom cuts big sheets (ie, on the roof of my GT350 where he felt the leading edge of the film did not tuck into the valley between roof and windshield nearly enough). A good installer can work with both, as stated above.
Old 01-13-2023, 04:42 PM
shane_b
Instructor

Received 533 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by NYFlat6ix
I heard bad things about the Porsche installed PPF. Pre-cut pieces. Poor installation.
I was told it causes quite a lot of delays and it is better to get sorted once the car arrives.

On subject of pre-cut pieces, surely that is better? I am not having anyone coming near my paintwork with a blade! I was talking to a company that had been recommended to me, and they have all their own templates that are cut onsite. They remove and replace badges and various trims where possible. The material they use sounds amazing too.
Old 01-13-2023, 04:46 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,720 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott P
@toph4242 supposedly NY is the only state like this. I'd still double check. My SA wouldn't even let me consider it and that was with my original S order 8/21.
@toph4242 @Scott P

My SA told me that delivery to Atlanta would delay 2-3 months. He lost me at "delay." I'm out. (He didn't say there would be a problem doing it in terms of registering, just that there are not a lot of slots available.)
The following 3 users liked this post by AdamIsAdam:
HerrDr (01-13-2023), Scott P (01-13-2023), toph4242 (01-14-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 04:51 PM
shane_b
Instructor

Received 533 Likes on 109 Posts

I have heard that a number of options are starting to become unavailable and as such I am going to lock in on Monday / Tuesday and not risk waiting. However, I am getting a little confused by some of the interior options.

I have selected Sport-Tex interior package with extensive items in leather' and 'Interior Trim Package with decorative Stitching in contrasting Colour (Guards Red)'.

What does the 'Dashboard trim package in leather ' and 'Door trim package in leather' actually add as the configurator hardly changes? Is it just the part around the chrono, and the storage cover in the door?

Am I right in saying the 'extended leather package' then simply adds the fuse panel cover and door threshold?

Old 01-13-2023, 05:58 PM
NYFlat6ix
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

With regard to pre-cut PPF pieces, I am certainly no expert. However, I am aware that some shops have computer programs that cut the PPF from templates and I have seen results with a lot of ugly seams in the more intricate areas around in the front of the car and those seams are unsightly and can be a nuisance to clean.

I have used Darien Detail in Connecticut for my last 4 P cars. They remove the headlights and badges to tuck the PPF under. They do excellent work and have a YouTube channel if any one wants to see their work and installation process.
Old 01-13-2023, 06:08 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 807 Likes on 401 Posts

Incorrect. Most 'good' installers will not use precut because they rarely are big enough to wrap around. They can increase the size on the computer to some extent. My installer does exactly that. Draping large sheets over and cutting excess off. That way you get a nice clean wrap around panels like the hood and doors. I've watched tons of videos and watched installers and this is the way most of them do it. From what I've seen of the PPF that's installed at the port, it's basically computer cut (plotter) and it clearly shows. There is about a 1/16" to 1/8" gap between the edge of the panel and the PPF.

Edit: I will say that using precut templates might be good for some panels but not all. And no matter what, the installer will have to cut either way. My 991.2T was done mostly from rolls. Some of the templates aren't very exact or even available immediately. This is what I learned from my installer.

Last edited by Ikone; 01-13-2023 at 06:15 PM. Reason: addition
The following 2 users liked this post by Ikone:
balucipher (01-13-2023), NYFlat6ix (01-13-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 06:15 PM
balucipher
Pro

Received 643 Likes on 331 Posts

Different installers do different things - precut, bulk or a mix of the two

Precut is faster, saves money and is usually fine for most customers looking to protect their paint. It'll usually leave edges exposed so if you look carefully you can see the edge at the end of some body panels.

Bulk, especially if you're doing a wraparound install where things like your headlights, tail lights, door handles and mirrors come off will be more expensive and leave little to no exposed seams. This is where the installer takes a big sheet and puts it on your car and cuts the excess off.

I think someone mentioned putting some of the thicker film on the front. I'd advise against it, even the standard Xpel Ultimate stuff has quite a bit of orange peel to it and the thicker stuff will look pretty bad. The standard xpel holds up to a lot of abuse - but try not to tailgate gravel trucks and go rallycrossing with it.

I think there are a few new products out there that compete with xpel that have better clarity now. Probably something to dig into and research while I wait for the car to be built and shipped.
Old 01-13-2023, 06:24 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 807 Likes on 401 Posts

RE: PPF

Personally, I would PPF the entire car, or not do PPF at all.

Halfway or partial is never a good idea. You get lines (yes, you do, no matter how good the installation is or what the installer says) and you will eventually get different shades of color on your car from the varying degrees of patina between exposed and unexposed portions.

Just decide.

PPF or no PPF.

If the former, go full car.

Just like with condoms. If you decide to wear one, you wouldn't just wear half of one, right?

Good PPF allows all the UV rays to go right through to the paint (Xpel, etc.) so there is no fading that is faster on the panels not protected. If you're talking about patina from dust or road rash, I'd say that would have to take years and years. And it's also why most will do the front clip and then ceramic everything. You also don't get lines as long as you do entire panels. I think someone mentioned this before as well. And 911s already come with a fairly thick piece right in front of the rear wheels. So you'd have to remove that as well. Either way, it gets very costly to do an entire car and the return on investment is less and less. Especially when you consider the rear bumper. Unless you have money to throw at it, I wouldn't recommend doing the entire car.

Not sure the condom analogy works here.
The following users liked this post:
balucipher (01-13-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 06:34 PM
norcal992
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Anyone dealt with unresponsive SA? Got the TYD email a few days ago but nothing from my SA. I would not have known I got an allocation without the TYD email. My SA has always been taking more than a week to reply to my email or to return my call. I guess I have to bear with this SA since this is the only allocation I have at the moment.
Old 01-13-2023, 07:05 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,193 Likes on 1,370 Posts

I'd go to the dealer and speak with him/her as you need to get your build in and confirmed, I don't think that happens otherwise. My SA, Russ @ Porsche Buffalo during the call telling me I got an allocation said I could have even gone in that afternoon to meet and confirm my build (went 2 days later). Mind you, I'm a first time P car buyer as well, no prior relationship with this dealership at all.
Bobby 911 (01-14-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 07:07 PM
anythingbuttime
Pro

Received 376 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by norcal992
Anyone dealt with unresponsive SA? Got the TYD email a few days ago but nothing from my SA. I would not have known I got an allocation without the TYD email. My SA has always been taking more than a week to reply to my email or to return my call. I guess I have to bear with this SA since this is the only allocation I have at the moment.
A sales person should return your call...not questioning that. But if you have an order and an allocation, why are you concerned about only one? Do you want multiple cars? All the information should be there. maybe you need to change your order? But that still wouldn't require another allocation...

Last edited by anythingbuttime; 01-13-2023 at 07:10 PM.
Bobby 911 (01-14-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 07:18 PM
norcal992
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by anythingbuttime
A sales person should return your call...not questioning that. But if you have an order and an allocation, why are you concerned about only one? Do you want multiple cars? All the information should be there. maybe you need to change your order? But that still wouldn't require another allocation...
What I meant is if I get another allocation from a different dealer (I'm on several dealers' wait lists), I will probably take that one to avoid working with this unresponsive SA

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera T Club