Sponsored by:

992 Carrera T Club

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2024, 10:16 AM
dg108
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by TUD
And… you won the tire lottery. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S spotted.
I wish I had gotten those but I have to say the Goodyears have been fine, better than expected.
The following users liked this post:
Shortseller (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 11:55 AM
Dream in PTS
Burning Brakes

Received 995 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by Green_Tea
PTS, or any 'loud' paint job is really about deciding on what is right for you and what makes you smile when you walk up to your own car.
Some people will love it , some will hate it. That comes with the turf.

There is another dimension, of course.

With a brightly coloured sports car you open yourself up to the opprobrium of the kind of people who disapprove of such things based their convictions about inequality, the environment and what have you.
You are putting "your privilege in their face", they would say.
You might get verbal abuse, you might get keys along the side of your car.
In some wealthy northern European cities all you see in is black, grey or silver cars. A Dutch friend of mine's wife nearly divorced him when the Porsche he wanted to buy (and could easily afford) turned out to be Speed Yellow.
"What will the neighbours think" etc.

In the end you have to decide if you can live with that, if it matters to you.

Apologies for straying into the political arena folks.
Now, back to FAL, RAS, wheel choice and all the really important things in life !
I hope you did not take my post as a criticism. Quite the opposite, I could not be happier for your PTS approval or your paint choice. There are plenty of colors I like that I would not personally get. Another example is the Creme White car another member posted. I like Creme but it tends to have a pinkish hue (which is partly why is was not so popular during its 997.2 run) that would keep me from selecting it over other color options.

As to the verbiage "PTS, or any 'loud' paint job", although some people may equate PTS with loud or bright colors, that's of course not what PTS is about at all. It's about gaining access to a much larger pool of color options -- from bright and fun to understated and elegant -- and having the privilege of selecting one that both speaks to you and provides you with exclusivity. In your most fortunate case, I would say mission accomplished.
Green_Tea (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 12:21 PM
Green_Tea
Rennlist Member

Received 350 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Dream in PTS
I hope you did not take my post as a criticism. Quite the opposite, I could not be happier for your PTS approval or your paint choice. There are plenty of colors I like that I would not personally get. Another example is the Creme White car another member posted. I like Creme but it tends to have a pinkish hue (which is partly why is was not so popular during its 997.2 run) that would keep me from selecting it over other color options.

As to the verbiage "PTS, or any 'loud' paint job", although some people may equate PTS with loud or bright colors, that's of course not what PTS is about at all. It's about gaining access to a much larger pool of color options -- from bright and fun to understated and elegant -- and having the privilege of selecting one that both speaks to you and provides you with exclusivity. In your most fortunate case, I would say mission accomplished.
No, I didn’t take your post as criticism. Of course I agree that PTS is about a wider range of paint colours, many of my favourites are not in anyway loud. My comment (verbiage?) was more about my observations about how certain people react to a brightly coloured sports car. PTS or otherwise.
Anyway, thank you for your kind remarks about our car.

Old 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Devon Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by dg108
I wish I had gotten those but I have to say the Goodyears have been fine, better than expected.
@dg108 I originally had Michelins on my first T which was vandalised and was upset when I scored Goodyears on my replacement car.
However, I am delighted with them and think now they are the equal all round and if not better in the wet than the 4S. I had a very wet drive back on Monday exceptional rain with a tiny hint of aquaplaning, but nothing scary the car felt very stable in lane maneuvers and cornering.
So I am in two minds about this winning the tyre lottery?
Best Devon Racer.
Old 03-06-2024, 12:29 PM
Devon Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 247 Posts

PTS, or any 'loud' paint job is really about deciding on what is right for you and what makes you smile when you walk up to your own car.
Some people will love it , some will hate it. That comes with the turf.

There is another dimension, of course.

With a brightly coloured sports car you open yourself up to the opprobrium of the kind of people who disapprove of such things based their convictions about inequality, the environment and what have you.
You are putting "your privilege in their face", they would say.
You might get verbal abuse, you might get keys along the side of your car.
In some wealthy northern European cities all you see in is black, grey or silver cars. A Dutch friend of mine's wife nearly divorced him when the Porsche he wanted to buy (and could easily afford) turned out to be Speed Yellow.
"What will the neighbours think" etc.

In the end you have to decide if you can live with that, if it matters to you.

Apologies for straying into the political arena folks.
Now, back to FAL, RAS, wheel choice and all the really important things in life !
@Green_Tea One huge benefit you forgot in your loud PTS choice is at least every other road user will see you coming! So Safety First (like the old MG advertising slogan) - Definitely non political !
Best, Devon Racer.
The following 2 users liked this post by Devon Racer:
Green_Tea (03-06-2024), Vernin (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 12:47 PM
Shortseller
Pro

Received 609 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Devon Racer
@dg108 I originally had Michelins on my first T which was vandalised and was upset when I scored Goodyears on my replacement car.
However, I am delighted with them and think now they are the equal all round and if not better in the wet than the 4S. I had a very wet drive back on Monday exceptional rain with a tiny hint of aquaplaning, but nothing scary the car felt very stable in lane maneuvers and cornering.
So I am in two minds about this winning the tyre lottery?
Best Devon Racer.
Guys come on now, they would not come from Porsche as OE if they were at any way subpar. It’s all just bs or so called “bragging rights”, because advertisers have done a great job over at Michelin. 🤥
KenTO (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 03:06 PM
ECNJ
Burning Brakes

Received 2,279 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by Shortseller
Be nice to see a post of your favorite that put you on the path​​​​​​.
I’ve always loved seeing cars on the big screen. First car movie i loved was Canonball Run which had a 911. But I tend to be biased toward a couple of films due to personal connection. First is Fast & Furious Tokyo Drift because it featured a guy named Sung I met during my college days DJing a party at a University he attended. I still recall his RX-7 back in the day. Surprise surprise he had a modified RX-7 in the movie. I already had my MK5 Supra and raced it all over LA when the Fast movie featured it…so it was relatable. It also highlighted Japan’s car culture which i really like. Been there several times for my work in commercial real estate and lots of car freaks there…

Second is a movie that featured concept cars designed by my older brother’s team at GM. Man, was it fun hanging out at their design center when i was in college. Seeing robots carve full scale clay models and spending countless hours in their library with thousands of car magazines form all over the globe. Explains my 0.7 GPA in college, ha. Not sure if u saw the movie, but here’s the poster from it. Big budget film didn’t do well. It starred Stallone, Wesley Snipes and Sandra Bullock. One car in it was a concept called Salsa (ha, i still have the hot wheel) with an inflatable roof lol he designed and engineered. Concepts are often about showing the industry what u are capable of and not necessarily designed for production.

Vernin (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 03:11 PM
ECNJ
Burning Brakes

In case it helps others. My T was in the shop for a couple of things. 1. i know several of us had squeaky window from pick-up. Turns out window guide was misaligned from factory and eventually tore. Replaced entire guide component and good so far. 2. Discovered factory had incorrect spark plug installed with wrong gap (goodness) causing misfires. As they say in the London tubes, they should “mind the gap”, ha. Asked them to replace all 6 plugs with correct gap. U may also want to have your Tech check plug gap if taking in for other things.

Been driving loaner SUV for a couple of weeks. Got back into my T again today…forgot for a second how fun this car is. I’m so obsessed. 😃 Props to the Porsche designers & engineers…factory, hmmmmm….tbd.

The following 2 users liked this post by ECNJ:
Jeff Whitten (03-08-2024), tourenwagen (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 03:23 PM
Macboy
Burning Brakes

Received 3,244 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by Devon Racer
Looks gorgeous go for it. is it IGM ? Looks like it. Let us know what you decide?
Will do some negotiating this Friday. And it’s IGM yes. Back to 6000km and a car that feels brand new. Have a lot to talk about but will do that later.

Originally Posted by Chartreuse
why aren’t the side skirts in high gloss black also? They should be.
Good question! Have no idea but maybe to give the car more side volume.

Originally Posted by Wilder
Love it! Tint is the only thing I'm not keen on. Factory?
Yes. I hate it was well. But can’t have it all. So some concessions.
Vernin (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 04:08 PM
WingsWheelsHulls
Instructor

Received 172 Likes on 57 Posts

Yes, it’s her name on the title and a lot of her influence in the spec.
She rocks a manual box pretty well too.
I'm showing this post to my Wife who has her 911t, manual, in Ruby Star enroute.

Excellent!
Green_Tea (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 04:50 PM
9ElevenFan
Advanced

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ECNJ
In case it helps others. My T was in the shop for a couple of things. 1. i know several of us had squeaky window from pick-up. Turns out window guide was misaligned from factory and eventually tore. Replaced entire guide component and good so far. 2. Discovered factory had incorrect spark plug installed with wrong gap (goodness) causing misfires. As they say in the London tubes, they should “mind the gap”, ha. Asked them to replace all 6 plugs with correct gap. U may also want to have your Tech check plug gap if taking in for other things.

jhjj

Been driving loaner SUV for a couple of weeks. Got back into my T again today…forgot for a second how fun this car is. I’m so obsessed. 😃 Props to the Porsche designers & engineers…factory, hmmmmm….tbd.
Interesting. I have the drivers window squeak also. I guess I better look into that. Regarding your plugs, did you notice the car performing/running rough or oddly ? Any symptoms to look for that would make one ask the dealership to inspect the gaps ?
Old 03-06-2024, 04:59 PM
Shortseller
Pro

How extremely unfortunate and disappointing to read. Automobile assembly is not the best here in the U.S., I would expect much better out of Germany. Again sorry to hear of your experience.
ECNJ (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 05:08 PM
Shortseller
Pro

I’ve always loved seeing cars on the big screen. First car movie i loved was Canonball Run which had a 911. But I tend to be biased toward a couple of films due to personal connection. First is Fast & Furious Tokyo Drift because it featured a guy named Sung I met during my college days DJing a party at a University he attended. I still recall his RX-7 back in the day. Surprise surprise he had a modified RX-7 in the movie. I already had my MK5 Supra and raced it all over LA when the Fast movie featured it…so it was relatable. It also highlighted Japan’s car culture which i really like. Been there several times for my work in commercial real estate and lots of car freaks there…

Second is a movie that featured concept cars designed by my older brother’s team at GM. Man, was it fun hanging out at their design center when i was in college. Seeing robots carve full scale clay models and spending countless hours in their library with thousands of car magazines form all over the globe. Explains my 0.7 GPA in college, ha. Not sure if u saw the movie, but here’s the poster from it. Big budget film didn’t do well. It starred Stallone, Wesley Snipes and Sandra Bullock. One car in it was a concept called Salsa (ha, i still have the hot wheel) with an inflatable roof lol he designed and engineered. Concepts are often about showing the industry what u are capable of and not necessarily designed for production.
Your connection is understood.
Old 03-06-2024, 05:30 PM
ECNJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 9ElevenFan
Interesting. I have the drivers window squeak also. I guess I better look into that. Regarding your plugs, did you notice the car performing/running rough or oddly ? Any symptoms to look for that would make one ask the dealership to inspect the gaps ?
No issues for first several thousand miles. Then CEL so took it in. Tech scanned and said may be due to ice forming in radiator area from driving in freezing weather. Told him not a daily and never drove in freezing temp so made no sense. For driver’s side window squeak, he said he sprayed something to take care of it. Squeak went away for 2 days then came back.

A week later, CEL again. No noticeable driving symptoms. I asked for different technician and asked if i could meet and talk to him first. We chatted and I generally liked how he was thinking about things. I asked to do a ignition coil swap test and he still had misfires so focused on plugs. All plugs had wrong gap. He changed all plugs (told him i wanted new ones) and coils were ok. Hopefully, that resolves issue. We’ll see. Here’s pic of window guide component replaced. It became deformed causing seal to eventually tear.

The following 2 users liked this post by ECNJ:
9ElevenFan (03-07-2024), Shortseller (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 05:43 PM
TUD
Rennlist Member

Received 1,551 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by Shortseller
How extremely unfortunate and disappointing to read. Automobile assembly is not the best here in the U.S., I would expect much better out of Germany.
FYI, This is the new norm amongst all manufacturers since Covid. The location of manufacturing has zero bearing as to what is slipping through various stages of QC.

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera T Club