Sponsored by:

992 Carrera T Club

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2023, 05:44 PM
Uhu
Racer

Received 1,099 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by TUD
I am curious if anyone has spec’ed the Race-Tex Roof Lining on their T?
I did, together with the sunvisors. I also ordered the glas sunroof.
Not sure if I will order again any of them.
The following users liked this post:
RatherJaded (10-04-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 08:25 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 953 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by TUD
Originally Posted by protamine
I don't have a T but a hardtop GTS and am very happy with the $1300 ROI

Very noticeable in car.

Yes! It’s very nice as mentioned and adds a more lux feel to the cabin. Weight penalty vs standard is negligible but hoping for someone to chime in and argue about it.
Old 10-04-2023, 09:00 PM
JAbbott
Track Day

Received 79 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TUD
I ordered the Race Tex headliner in my T. Skipped the visors. I like it and think it goes well with the theme of the car. Is it overly noticeable? No. But elegance is in the subtlety is it not?

oh yeah. No sunroof for me.

Last edited by JAbbott; 10-04-2023 at 09:07 PM.
RatherJaded (10-04-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 09:30 PM
cgaites
Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by TUD
I did not order the Race-Tex roof lining, but now wish I did. Absolutely love my Race-Tex steering wheel, shift ****/boot, and center console. Regret not going further as the material really adds a bit of excitement to the interior. Assuming you're going for a sporty feel vs a luxury feel, I also recommend springing for the colored seatbelts and gauges. Makes getting into the car feel like a bit more of an event.
RatherJaded (10-04-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 10:28 PM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

Received 1,612 Likes on 919 Posts

Well, this has happened within the last hour. My last change was approx 2.5 hours prior to it freezing.

Edit: The dates have certainly ping-ponged around. Varying anywhere from a week later. If I am recalling correctly, Oct 4th was my original freeze date when I received my T allocation at the end of July.

Last edited by RatherJaded; 10-04-2023 at 10:38 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by RatherJaded:
HerrDr (10-05-2023), Macboy (10-07-2023), N3DXT (10-05-2023), timothymoffat (10-04-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 10:34 PM
Edward911
Instructor

Received 333 Likes on 97 Posts

Missed RR7, but went for a drive on Sunday morning around Austin, Texas.

The following 8 users liked this post by Edward911:
1stgear (10-05-2023), ECNJ (10-05-2023), HerrDr (10-05-2023), Macboy (10-07-2023), mdrobc1213 (10-12-2023), RatherJaded (10-04-2023), Uhu (10-05-2023), Ørjan (10-05-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-04-2023, 10:59 PM
cgaites
Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by TUD
Well, this has happened within the last hour. My last change was approx 2.5 hours prior to it freezing.

Edit: The dates have certainly ping-ponged around. Varying anywhere from a week later. If I am recalling correctly, Oct 4th was my original freeze date when I received my T allocation at the end of July.
Durning my order process the freeze data in TYD retroactively changed to a date before my last set of submitted changes. I don't remember the exact dates anymore, but I submitted changes on something like the 5th of the month while TYD was showing a freeze data on the 12th of the month. Then on the 11th of the month, the TYD freeze date changed retroactively to the 3rd of the month. Nonetheless, all my changes from the 5th of the month made it onto the build. My SA was able to confirm for me that my changes had gone through. If your worried, I would call your SA and confirm your order.
Old 10-04-2023, 11:06 PM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

Received 1,612 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by cgaites
Durning my order process the freeze data in TYD retroactively changed to a date before my last set of submitted changes. I don't remember the exact dates anymore, but I submitted changes on something like the 5th of the month while TYD was showing a freeze data on the 12th of the month. Then on the 11th of the month, the TYD freeze date changed retroactively to the 3rd of the month. Nonetheless, all my changes from the 5th of the month made it onto the build. My SA was able to confirm for me that my changes had gone through. If you’re worried, I would call your SA and confirm your order.
I made the most recent changes while on-site at the dealership and have the PCNA build print out. The change is also reflected in TYD.

Last edited by RatherJaded; 10-04-2023 at 11:08 PM.
N3DXT (10-05-2023)
Old 10-05-2023, 08:58 AM
N3DXT
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Devon Racer
@N3DXT A few weeks is more than a short delay.
Seems like the boat issues from Emden to Sheerness is perhaps real at this time of year?
Having said that my dealer emailed today to say that my freeze was in fact last week and one minor amendment I was thinking of I can't make.
However he stated that arrival with them had been bought forward to early November from the 24th.
Sounds like we might get our cars at the same time. ???? But mine hasn't even gone into production yet.
It's a lottery and no one except Porsche I think really know?
Thanks Devon R

My build photos appear to have been taken on the 18th September so it is a bit disappoinitng that it didn't make the boat on the 2nd October. I'm am milldy hoping that maybe it did and the dealer will surprise me with some good news for once. Sayinf that I've got a quite a hectic October work wise so a few weeks delay won't be the end of the world

Sorry to hear you weren't able to make your final change, hopefully it wasn't something you'll notice too much once you get the car. We very well could get our cars around the same time, I can't see any car transport boats due into sheerness within the next few weeks.

Old 10-05-2023, 09:07 AM
Shortseller
Pro

Received 609 Likes on 360 Posts
Default The PDK choice?

Anyone regret not ordering the worlds best tranny, the PDK?

Yeah I know, the 7 speed is just wonderful and is more engaging up and down the rev line, etc, but the fact that it’s a full half second slower than the PDK is bothersome! And it’s not like one can’t go to manual mode with the PDK. In the more expensive 911s it’s faster at under 4 seconds so for me that’s acceptable but at 4.5 seconds off the line at a light, and we all know what I mean, in todays world of automobiles just is too slow for a 2024 911 Porsche $126,000+ MSRP. If it were a classic then it’s a different story. My wife’s KIA SUV with a jump off the line buries you zero to sixty.

So I’d like to hear from this group of T soon to be owners, how many stayed with the 7 speed and how many secretly chose the no cost option of PDK? At a cost of free it’s the bargain if the century IMHO.

As a disclaimer I’ll admit to having my first 3 M3s in stick configuration, the last one an M3 competition in DCT. It was wonderful, the best I’d ever experienced till I test drove a Porsche PDK. And yes I did test drive the 7 speed first before placing my order. It reminded me of my very first stick in my Datsun 200SX, fun but slow.

Last edited by Shortseller; 10-05-2023 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-05-2023, 09:33 AM
ECNJ
Burning Brakes

Received 2,320 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by Shortseller
Anyone regret not ordering the worlds best tranny, the PDK?

As a disclaimer I’ll admit to having my first 3 M3s in stick configuration, the last one an M3 competition in DCT. It was wonderful, the best I’d ever experienced till I drove then along came a drive in a Porsche PDK. And yes I did test drive the 7 speed first, and it reminded me of my very first stick in my Datsun 200SX, fun but slow.
I got MT and didn’t even consider a PDK even with not having driven a stick in 20 years. Back in the day I had MT 300zx twin turbo. Night and day fast compared to 200sx, but even then the T is faster and pulls really strong. Most here are content with its speed. I admit at times I want more. But with T/turbo cars can be upgraded with larger turbos and/or ecu tune to get plenty speed. I only had 4 options on my T which I locked in from day 1 and no regrets. Manual was the only thing I had to have and so glad I got it. I also recently sold my 2020 AMG E63. It was faster than my T but wasn’t as much fun and was collecting dust in a $1000 month Manhattan parking space. Strongly recommend MT….other stuff doesn’t matter as much so there get what u want. Good luck but don’t think 2 much about it and thank me later for the right move…
Shortseller (10-05-2023)
Old 10-05-2023, 09:35 AM
Roadworrier
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 71 Posts
Default 1000 miles in 7 days: A "T" Review

So last Thursday I picked up my T at PEC-ATL, in what most likely will be a once in a lifetime event: PEC delivery of a brand new 911, neither of which will likely occur again in my early-60-something life. What will happen, hopefully, will be continued enjoyment and exploring of new roads for the foreseeable future in what will likely be one of the last manual transmission-plus-ICE sports cars ever made. If such vehicles are still available from automakers in 5 years, I will eat my words, but then again, no one expected people to be buying music on vinyl ever again......

The car was exposed to urban roads, rural roads, legendary curvy roads, boring divided highways, and both straight and curvy/mountainous Interstates (in this case I-40 on both sides of Asheville). It succeeded greatly.

The engine: Coming from 7 years in a 718 Boxster S with great torque but the engine sound of the opening guitar riff in "Whole Lotta Love", the 3.0 lower-case twin-turbo flat 6 engine is positively musical, a tenor in a sea of death metal growls. You don't really feel the "turboness" of this motor. The power build-up feels linear and so far I've not found any kind of "dead spot". Configuring my info gauge to show turbo boost, it shows much of the time that the turbo is on the boil, ready to give 1 to 5 ft-lbs here and there, but not surging unless you really need to mash the throttle in a lower gear. Day to day on the road (as opposed to track), you don't need more power unless you are somehow trying to compensate for some other anatomical deficiency. "Regular Car Reviews" probably has the last word on that, so I'll leave it there. In normal mode, the engine is smooth but lets you know it's always there. In sport and sport plus, combined with the revised gearing response, it makes great noise, the exhaust providing the usual burbles and boy-racer pops when fully warmed up. It even can pull smartly in 6th gear on the highway, assuming no cops and generous speed limits. Only drawback on the highway is a slight drone at 2200 rpm in normal mode (sport mode helps mellow the drone out without making the noise too much louder or intrusive). Of course I'm halfway to the "official" (for US) break-in after which I can rev over 4000 with impunity. I have cheated a few times and gotten up to 4800 on acceleration before upshifting in 2nd and 3rd and it sounds / performs nice.

Transmission: All right, it's been 7 years since I last owned a manual, but only once or twice did I look for the non-existent PDK shift paddles before figuring out I needed to do it myself. Love the short shift, a little notchier than I remember my 987.1 Cayman (with 5-speed) being, but with far shorter throws. 1st to 2nd is still a little notchy but it's smoothing out (or maybe I'm smoothing out as I go along), 2-to-3-to-4 is a blast, and 5 is a wonderfully flexible gear on the highway. In normal driving, downshifting is easily handled without any fancy footwork, but the Autoblip is easily the most fun feature in Sport and Sport Plus. While I can program Auto-Blip into other drive modes each time I drive it, I still haven't figured out how to save those settings for future use without needing to reprogram. There is noticeable rubberiness to the shifting as you get into the 5-6-7 ranges. If you're not careful, you will end up with 7th-to-4th downshifts (not the end of the world thanks to the motor) instead of 7th to 6th. I did a 6th to 3rd downshift, which is fine at lower speeds, but I find 6th to 4th (upside down U-shift) to be more satisfying and smoother. Unless you are traveling on flat roads with little traffic and can open the car up a little bit, 7th gear is a luxury and not a necessity. Consider this a 6 speed with overdrive.

Fuel Economy (!): My bottom line is on highways, gas mileage was in the 27-28 mpg range, in spirited curvy road driving without much stopping, it was in the 22 mpg range. Combined with getting the 23+ gallon tank, lots of range and piece of mind when you're out in the middle of nowhere. WIth premium being upwards of $4/gallon in most places, range and decent economy are bonuses to owning this wonderful car.

Ride and Handling: I basically have zero complaints. Even on rough roads the suspension keeps its composure. The tires are Goodyear Eagle F1s. Though it takes a little more planning to move the car around an obstacle in the road than the mid-engine 718 twins (which corner on a dime but also need a lot of correcting), the 911 rewards the driver with smoothness at high rates of speed. The PEC driving experience in a 911 really was helpful for me in understanding the car's behavior in tight curves (brake in, fast out). While the grip and chassis design in the 992 (with the larger wheels and steamroller tires in back) pretty much have ironed out the snap-oversteer tendencies of the older 911s (especially the really older 911s), you can still feel a difference in the steering depending on how much you apply the throttle in the curve. It requires a little more thinking than the Boxster did, but combined with the gearing and getting the Sport PASM into action in Sport Plus mode, the car was an absolute blast to drive through Tail of the Dragon, Shutes Loop, and Foothill Parkway. And day to day, it can be as aggessive or as docile as you want it to be. Sport Plus was also not as harsh as I expected it to be on straight, normal roads with the usual cracks, undulations, patching, etc.

NVH: I was prepared for noise and rocks and thunks thanks to the T's pared down insulation and glass, but in giving a ride to one of my PCA compatriots this week (has a 981 Cayman GTS) his remark was "if you hadn't told me you had less insulation and lightweight glass, I wouldn't have noticed any difference". Given 911s aren't luxury cars, and I'm coming from a Boxster which had its top down about 60% of the time and in Sport mode about 90% of the time (which significantly raised engine noise), the 911 is positively grand-tourer-like, but with a little more of an edge than say, a Mercedes. You will hear tire noise from the Eagle F1s, and lots of it, especially on concrete roads with worn joints. In general, from a riding perspective, you will hear some noise, feel absolutely no vibration (even our Macan is a little rougher in that regard), and very little harshness.

Interior: Coming from 14-way standard sport seats in the 718, the 4-way Sport Plus seats initially took getting used to, especially not being able to adjust fore-aft with an electric switch but with the big pull loop slider in front. But any regrets about not getting the 18-ways dissipated quickly. At 5'9" and 190, these seats fit me perfectly. The cloth is grippy but softer, you sit in and not on the seat, but it isn't hard to get in and out of it. The adjustments for height and back were all I needed, and since no one else drives the car, it's all good. Given also there is no electric steering column available (just the manual tilt-telescope), no regrets about not getting the 18-way for me. My wife enjoyed these seats as well, remembering how hard the 987 and 718 seats were (especially the 718 with the ventilation). Hours and hours without fatigue, especially on Sunday which was our long drive home from Asheville to Northern Virginia. The standard seats for the win. I added the shark blue seat belts and the Gentian Blue body color trim on the dash and the console in place of piano black (though piano black still surrounds the gearshift and seat heat switches). Even without deviated stitching and leather steering column covers and leather covered vents, the interior looks attractive and built for a purpose. The color works very well as interior trim - I'd imagine if I had yellow or Ruby Star, doing the exterior color on the dash and console would have been a bit gaudier. Given I look at the dash and screen and not at stitching while I'm driving, no regrets not getting the insanely overpriced leather dash/door stitching or the "T interior".upgrade (which is mainly pinstripes and gray stitching instead of black on the seats, and you have to pay even more to get the additional dash leather). In general I like my basic interior spec with some color added. My next challenge is finding some cocomats which have black, deep blue, and shark blue (tri-color).

The only bad - the Infotainment and Electronics: While the new touch screen and icons are nice, here Porsche has so many of the problems other automakers have. Needing to program your preferences on the porsche.com site is one thing. Unlike the 718 (which had easy menus to navigate for satellite radio), it seems like you have to navigate more menus to select a radio station, SXM station or program favorites. Meaning needing to do things beforehand so you don't take your eyes off the road, just to change a bloody station. Also the HVAC requires programming and setting, though you can customize which vents are used, etc. And the basic switch gear (toggles for temp, automatic mode, fan, etc) are nice and simple. CarPlay and the phone link fine about 80% of the time, the other 20% they don't. Apparently the phone needs to make a Wi-Fi (not just Bluetooth) connection to work wirelessly. I restarted the phone and it worked fine. CarPlay does work pretty well when you connect the phone directly in the armrest with a wire (not a bad idea if you need to charge the phone, given there is no plate charger available on the T). The native navigation system has pretty maps (Google sourced), and limited traffic data (mainly freeways and some advisories) but the stern-voiced "Hey Porsche" assistant most of the time couldn't figure out where I wanted to go even if I spelled it out simply and clearly. I could go on, but my main grumble is with Homelink. It works flawlessly on my Subie, and worked perfectly on my 987. The 718 absolutely was useless as a garage door opener. On this car on the other hand, I was able to program the opener and the garage door. The problem is the diamond toggle on the dash, when linked to Homelink, does not open the garage door but instead brings up the homelink display, after which I have to select my menu choice "GARAGE" on the screen, which opens the door. Given I'm also shifting on an incline, that's more complicated than just hitting the remote button on my visor. When backing out, you can't close the garage door because the camera is on, and the toggle cannot bring up the Homelink screen while that is occurring. I'll just stick with my remote on the visor.

On all those notes, the car is a clear winner. Just pick your radio station or music beforehand (or none at all) and enjoy the engine, transmission, ride and handling, and the toggle switches. When it comes to driving it, it is everything everyone said it is and more. Damn good looking too.

Last edited by Roadworrier; 10-05-2023 at 10:13 AM.
The following 19 users liked this post by Roadworrier:
1stgear (10-05-2023), Barkat03 (10-06-2023), Blue Bread (10-05-2023), Cachaco (10-05-2023), cyclingismylife (10-05-2023), FloraFauna (10-07-2023), HerrDr (10-05-2023), IPA1 (10-05-2023), Macboy (10-07-2023), mdrobc1213 (10-12-2023), mitchs_996 (10-07-2023), mrcarlo (10-06-2023), N3DXT (10-05-2023), Patriot (10-06-2023), RatherJaded (10-05-2023), Shortseller (10-05-2023), stonekutter (10-05-2023), Uhu (10-05-2023), Ørjan (10-05-2023) and 14 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-05-2023, 09:46 AM
Shortseller
Pro

Received 609 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by ECNJ
I got MT and didn’t even consider a PDK even with not having driven a stick in 20 years. Back in the day I had MT 300zx twin turbo. Night and day fast compared to 200sx, but even then the T is faster and pulls really strong. Most here are content with its speed. I admit at times I want more. But with T/turbo cars can be upgraded with larger turbos and/or ecu tune to get plenty speed. I only had 4 options on my T which I locked in from day 1 and no regrets. Manual was the only thing I had to have and so glad I got it. I also recently sold my 2020 AMG E63. It was faster than my T but wasn’t as much fun and was collecting dust in a $1000 month Manhattan parking space. Strongly recommend MT….other stuff doesn’t matter as much so there get what u want. Good luck but don’t think 2 much about it and thank me later for the right move…
My referral to the Datsuns, and I’ll assume yours too was the ease of shifting the manual. It was like butter, short throws, light flywheel, use to use my 2 fingers with confidence every time. Cars were light and easily thrown around.

Sounds like we both went from hammers to scalpels!

Last edited by Shortseller; 10-05-2023 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-05-2023, 10:46 AM
Ørjan
Instructor

Received 141 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadworrier
On all those notes, the car is a clear winner.
Congratulations, and thank you for the write-up. And it looks GOOD in Gentian blue
Old 10-05-2023, 10:54 AM
ECNJ
Burning Brakes

Received 2,320 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by Shortseller
My referral to the Datsuns, and I’ll assume yours too was the ease of shifting the manual. It was like butter, short throws, light flywheel, use to use my 2 fingers with confidence every time. Cars were light and easily thrown around.

Sounds like we both went from hammers to scalpels!
I loved my Z! Not many faster cars back then. I lived in Cali and would regularly go to Stillen shop in Costa Mesa to mod it. It was stage 3. 2piece MOMO rims and Zender body kit. I used to embarrass my friend with a Mustang Cobra at the drag strip. We used to race at Terminal Island (former prison). I also used to race it and my MK4 Supra on PCH near where the first Fast and Furious movie was shot. Ridiculous speeds. The Z lacks all of the tech my T has. Yes, Japanese cars had some of the best short throw shifters for sure. However, clutches were much more sensitive. I don’t think u can stall the T even on purpose? And T has ridiculous traction control. My Z u really had understand and know how to drive that car. Someone I knew completely wrecked his Z TT and almost died.

So, I let my cousin (neurosurgeon) with 2 911s drive my T recently and he made the same comment which comes to my mind often as I drive the T. Car feels like an extension of me….just like having a scalpel in your hand allowing precise maneuvers. Ha, my T is so fun to drive…I’m currently salivating like Pavlov’s dog in anticipation of my 2 hour lunch pickup today.
The following 4 users liked this post by ECNJ:
dg108 (10-05-2023), HerrDr (10-05-2023), Macboy (10-07-2023), Uhu (10-05-2023)

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera T Club