Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 Carrera T Club

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2023 | 10:38 AM
Cartod
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2020Spyder
The cars ship without the centercaps installed, and they are put on during the PDI.
Yep, also shipped without front spoiler installed.
Old 05-07-2023 | 10:46 AM
AJ_Judi
Instructor

I only put my deposit down about 2 months back... Sales person told me 12 months to get a T but could be less than one year (at this point not sure if he is BSing or not) he did say we want you to get Ceramic coating for $2k... I did not agree and kind of left it at a limbo.... I checked at a high end place close to me and they said $1500 for the same thing...
I have another question from the folks in this group... are you getting wheels protection against scratches etc... is it worth it? How much is it to get typically?
Old 05-07-2023 | 11:00 AM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AJ_Judi
I only put my deposit down about 2 months back... Sales person told me 12 months to get a T but could be less than one year (at this point not sure if he is BSing or not) he did say we want you to get Ceramic coating for $2k... I did not agree and kind of left it at a limbo.... I checked at a high end place close to me and they said $1500 for the same thing...
I have another question from the folks in this group... are you getting wheels protection against scratches etc... is it worth it? How much is it to get typically?
I always get the Tire and Wheel insurance (basically its the only add on I ever do from the dealer)... the rims cost thousands, so if you use it once, it usually covers the cost. I think it starts in a 3 year interval and then you can pay to add on each additional year. I've done 5 years before, but I never keep my cars long enough, so I've started to just do the 3 year protection and I believe the last car I did that on the 3-year insurance for rims and wheels and cosmetic fixes was about $2800
The following 2 users liked this post by toph4242:
AJ_Judi (05-07-2023), HerrDr (05-07-2023)
Old 05-07-2023 | 11:00 AM
Cartod
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AJ_Judi
Just do the ceramic and be thankful.
The following users liked this post:
AJ_Judi (05-07-2023)
Old 05-07-2023 | 11:15 AM
Dream in PTS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Barkat03
@The911Don
‘Also going flat out doesn’t give you those illegal speeds’…
Where do you live?😄
Originally Posted by Barkat03
Gotta be their private driveways🤣🤣
I live where people know the 993 generation has already happened.
Old 05-07-2023 | 11:39 AM
Uhu
Racer

Originally Posted by duktail
Adam,

Thank you for the candid review of your new T. From what I understand any of the emotional experience that you get in this car comes on at 6,000 rpm which most of us of not been able to experience yet because of break in. I have had to up the game with almost every car I have owned from Porsche, 993, 964, 991.1 c4s, 928's, 944 Turbo's, 912, e46 M3, etc. My wifes 991.1 GTS vert i am absolutely happy with the exhaust because of the induction sounds and the top down its insane. I think that Porsche has followed this moto with about any of their non GT cars. I was on the fence to buy a 991.2 GT3 or this car and I choose the T because I wanted a car that was comfortable driving around town and on short trips to the mountains with my wife by my side. I think this car comes alive on the twisties at higher rpms. I too may do some modest exhaust work at some point. I have heard that the gearbox is fantastic but that many would of preferred a 6 speed so it was interesting that would were able to ascertain that. Having your GT4 to compare is very helpful. I was very surprised that the T was comprable to the GT4 on the track I would of expected a bit more of a gap in performance with the GT4 because I have run with them on the race track with my 997 Grand Am car and they are very fast. I do think that they should of done a little more to the T with the gearing and exhaust but I guess that would mean that it would of been a model that fell more in between the S and the GTS. For me I don't like the cayman because they are a bit smaller and I like more of GT car that I can open the sunroof and have more room inside. I would of loved for them to have put the 4.0 GTS motor in this thing that would of been a hoot. I am sure that would of been a lot more engineering involved. You have got me super pumped about also getting the python green and wish I could of gotten the aero kit. My friend wants me to add the sport classic/sport techno ducktail wing because my 991.1 C4s had it and I also own a 74 carrera with the ducktail. I maybe the first to add that once I get the car so we will see. Guys keep the reviews coming I love to hear these type of honest reviews.
I think he refers to the 981 GT4, which is kinda different than the 718 GT4. The 981 sounds way better, same with the clutch...way heavier. On the way to pick up my car, I was driven in a 781 GT4...on the way back I drove my T, while staying under 4000 rpm and smooth handling the car/engine, as it had under 20 km...and I haven't seen any big difference in sound
The T (1:55.7) is within a second (0.7s) on a Hockenheim Lap (same driver, etc), even if the GT4 manual (1:55.0) enjoys the use of Cup2s. The 718 GTS 4.0 is over 1 seconds seconds slower (1:56.9).
Also, if you watch them videos (on youtube, just search for "Carrera T sport auto", etc), you can see that the 6 speed in the GTS/GT4 needs manhandled and he has troubles going 3-2, going twice for it, as opposed to the short and precise operation in the T.

I do not think you need to rev over 6000 rpm to get some "emotions", the cars is singing already at 2-3000 rpm in sport.
Oh, the 991.1 GTS...now that's a good sounding animal. I dubbed the sport plus button in that car as the "hooligan button". The noise that it was producing...I was only allowed short stints up to 180 km/h, by the fun police in the right seat, because the car sounded sooo mean When we had the 991.2 S cabrio, I drove all the way from Munich to Stuttgart at 200-240 km/h and she didn't have a clue how fast we were going. The sound was muffled/gone in the 991.2.

EDIT: There is an orange GTS 4.0 Cayman in town. Really don't see where the noise is hiding with that one...very muted. On the other hand...drove the T home, was wet, thus auto blip one and I got a few heads turned when going 3-2 for the roundabouts.

Last edited by Uhu; 05-07-2023 at 04:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Uhu:
HerrDr (05-07-2023), Macboy (05-07-2023)
Old 05-07-2023 | 11:42 AM
Uhu
Racer

Originally Posted by Pivot
I got this in the mail today… gonna be a great event:
The first picture makes me already not want to go. Really don't like the fairies from Merc F1 team.

Also..."Performance parking"
Now this happens when you let the media and communication person do the wording for a car event

"FOS" was nice many years ago, when it was not "trending"...not many people, really only enthusiasts there, etc.
Old 05-07-2023 | 11:55 AM
N3DXT
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Macboy;18786829]

You sir are a hero and role model for all people here. What colors are on your current shortlist?

Thank you, I think I'm deciding between White, GT Silver or Shark Blue with Ruby as a possible (but a lot less likely).
The following 2 users liked this post by N3DXT:
Macboy (05-07-2023), Vernin (05-17-2023)
Old 05-07-2023 | 12:05 PM
2020Spyder
Instructor

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
ok, so today after 150 miles and then being the center of attention at a PCA cars & coffee, I dropped off the T for PPF, stripes and ceramic. Then I went home and jumped into my Cayman GTS 4.0...

I will not cast my ballot just yet, but if I were forced to pick one car TO DRIVE at this point in time, it would be the Cayman. The NA 4.0 is fantastic. The exhaust sounds WAY better. I like the feeling of driving a smaller car. The mid-engine feeling is very confidence inspiring. The 6spd is much better feeling than the 7spd. I must say that the brakes on the 911 are WAY better! Great!

But, the 911 is just SO SEXY! One of the best looking cars of all time IMO. Certainly top 10, maybe top 5. Right up there with the 427 Cobra. Iconic and timeless. Sexy.

EDIT: @Macboy @Scott P I hope that when I break in the car and can get to those good RPM's, plus install my Cargraphic, that I'll feel differently about the power and sound of the engine. Right now, it's way too quiet.

For now, I'm glad I have both. More to come.
@AdamIsAdam How are you liking the T compared to your GT350?

Last edited by 2020Spyder; 05-07-2023 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-07-2023 | 12:07 PM
Dream in PTS
Burning Brakes

I'm deciding between White, GT Silver or Shark Blue with Ruby as a possible (but a lot less likely).

All four are solid choices. I’m surprised we haven’t seen more white, such a classic color for a 911. Shark is one of the best non-PTS blues Porsche has ever offered. And Ruby… well, Ruby takes some stones to order, but it just looks and feels special. You have a “good dilemma” on your hands.
The following 5 users liked this post by Dream in PTS:
Cartod (05-07-2023), dreamin11 (05-08-2023), Graeme's T (05-07-2023), N3DXT (05-07-2023), Particularberet (05-07-2023)
Old 05-07-2023 | 12:23 PM
Snipe10
Rennlist Member

Regarding colors, is chalk too trendy, I like it now but am afraid it won't age for me well, anyone get tired of it after you bought it?
Old 05-07-2023 | 12:28 PM
Dream in PTS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Snipe10
Regarding colors, is chalk too trendy, I like it now but am afraid it won't age for me well, anyone get tired of it after you bought it?
I wouldn’t call chalk trendy, because it is similar to classic light grays such as dolphin, fashion, sport classic, etc. Rather, I would call it popular. But it is popular for a reason, it is such a stunning color.
Old 05-07-2023 | 01:02 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2020Spyder
@AdamIsAdam How are you liking the T compared to your GT350?
That is just too different to compare. They check different boxes. I miss my GT350. A lot.

Originally Posted by duktail
Adam,

Thank you for the candid review of your new T. From what I understand any of the emotional experience that you get in this car comes on at 6,000 rpm which most of us of not been able to experience yet because of break in. I have had to up the game with almost every car I have owned from Porsche, 993, 964, 991.1 c4s, 928's, 944 Turbo's, 912, e46 M3, etc. My wifes 991.1 GTS vert i am absolutely happy with the exhaust because of the induction sounds and the top down its insane. I think that Porsche has followed this moto with about any of their non GT cars. I was on the fence to buy a 991.2 GT3 or this car and I choose the T because I wanted a car that was comfortable driving around town and on short trips to the mountains with my wife by my side. I think this car comes alive on the twisties at higher rpms. I too may do some modest exhaust work at some point. I have heard that the gearbox is fantastic but that many would of preferred a 6 speed so it was interesting that would were able to ascertain that. Having your GT4 to compare is very helpful. I was very surprised that the T was comprable to the GT4 on the track I would of expected a bit more of a gap in performance with the GT4 because I have run with them on the race track with my 997 Grand Am car and they are very fast. I do think that they should of done a little more to the T with the gearing and exhaust but I guess that would mean that it would of been a model that fell more in between the S and the GTS. For me I don't like the cayman because they are a bit smaller and I like more of GT car that I can open the sunroof and have more room inside. I would of loved for them to have put the 4.0 GTS motor in this thing that would of been a hoot. I am sure that would of been a lot more engineering involved. You have got me super pumped about also getting the python green and wish I could of gotten the aero kit. My friend wants me to add the sport classic/sport techno ducktail wing because my 991.1 C4s had it and I also own a 74 carrera with the ducktail. I maybe the first to add that once I get the car so we will see. Guys keep the reviews coming I love to hear these type of honest reviews.
My Cayman is a GTS 4.0, not a GT4. I love it. LOVE it.

I've come to realize that the 718 and 911 are different cars. (Hey, I'm slow. What can I say? LOL). They are really just very different cars. Just like I say I can't compare the GT350 to a 911 because it comes down to preference.

I do understand how many would prefer a larger car. I prefer a smaller car. No wrong answer there.

I need to get the 911 broken in and then do a driving comparison, which will be an amateur's comparison. I'm happy to take suggestions on what to compare. For example, I see that the 911 4-way seats are wider than the CGTS 4-ways. Both are nice. I'm skinny, so I'm fine in both, might even feel more snug in the smaller seats. I also think the T steering wheel is thicker, but I'll have to go back and check.

The 7spd tranny, well, one doesn't need 7th and I assume it's the linkage that's not as good as the 6spd. Both are fine, but the 6spd is better.

I'll keep a list of things people might want me to compare, so feel free to post suggestions.

2020Spyder (05-07-2023)
Old 05-07-2023 | 01:17 PM
2020Spyder
Instructor

I had a Camaro SS 1LE that I loved before I got my Spyder. While waiting for my T, my mind has been wondering thinking about American cars, and I remembered that you sold your GT350 to free up space for your T and I had to ask what you thought about the comparison between them. I agree, they are very different cars.

Last edited by 2020Spyder; 05-07-2023 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-07-2023 | 01:19 PM
cal10882
Rennlist Member

FWIW- I was on the waitlist at 2 dealers in the northern NJ area (in/around Bergen) and received calls after I ordered my T (no ADM luckily) asking if I wanted build slots. Both calls were in the last month or so as well. Both dealers originally said I was closer to #15 than #1 on the wait list and to expect that I wouldn't get an allocation until the end of the year at the earliest if at all.

It does seem like a good number of people are passing up their build slots right now so there might be an opportunity to both get a build slot and negotiate.
N3DXT (05-07-2023)

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera T Club