Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does your 992 make a clicking noise like this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 11:56 AM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

I think there was a pea under the mattress of this Princess.
The following users liked this post:
Denny Swift (10-19-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 04:36 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 758 Likes on 329 Posts

I read the thread yesterday . I listened to your videos and heard nothing unusual. So today I got in my car and listened . I heard the clicking but it is so faint and insignificant that I think you are all driving yourselves nuts . I always felt that the title noises are part of the charm . There are way bigger fish to fry than these crickets .
Tupper (08-03-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 08:51 AM
mrmichaelsankey
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 147 Posts

My crickets (fuel pumps) are super noisy with the windows down. Drive next to a wall and come off the throttle at low revs….. but the head tech says it’s normal…. So if something goes wrong it goes back.

At 3k miles on the clock it was noticeable, at 7k miles it’s slowly getting louder.
Old 10-19-2022, 08:45 AM
LeoGoor
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aggie57
And a second recording

https://youtu.be/ayKHvakCE9w
Dear Aggie, did you eventually find the culprit?
I've also purchased a based Carrera 2020 model recently and it does the exact same thing.
I went to the Dealer, and they said at first this is bad and wanted to investigate but 4 hours later they did a 180 and told me, its a 'product-specific sound' we can not fix it and it is not harmful.

They did tell me that the sound goes away when you have it in neutral and switch off the air conditioning. If you then push the brake paddle, the sound reappears again. But they couldn't tell me which part made the noise.
They simply put 2 other brand-new 992's on the lift and they made the same noise.

Old 10-19-2022, 01:37 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Originally Posted by LeoGoor
Dear Aggie, did you eventually find the culprit?
I've also purchased a based Carrera 2020 model recently and it does the exact same thing.
I went to the Dealer, and they said at first this is bad and wanted to investigate but 4 hours later they did a 180 and told me, its a 'product-specific sound' we can not fix it and it is not harmful.

They did tell me that the sound goes away when you have it in neutral and switch off the air conditioning. If you then push the brake paddle, the sound reappears again. But they couldn't tell me which part made the noise.
They simply put 2 other brand-new 992's on the lift and they made the same noise.
Nope, never did get to the bottom of it. The car still does it so I guess I've just become immune to the sound. Re. the Porsche response, reckon they know what it is but just deny deny deny because it's not affecting how the cars drive.
Old 10-19-2022, 02:00 PM
LeoGoor
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope, never did get to the bottom of it. The car still does it so I guess I've just become immune to the sound. Re. the Porsche response, reckon they know what it is but just deny deny deny because it's not affecting how the cars drive.
thanks for the quick reply.

I’ll get it to the Tuner soon, maybe they know something. If I know what it is, I’ll report back.
aggie57 (10-19-2022)
Old 10-19-2022, 09:37 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 670 Posts

Originally Posted by smiles11
No.

Possibly a faulty fuel injector or the valve timing is off...

There is a rocker arm that helps open & close the valves. Normal setup with camshaft & pushrod that controls it. The valves move at a fast and short distance. If they aren’t precisely adjusted, you can hear a metallic ticking sound similar to what you’re hearing. I’m not a flat-six expert, but the setup is universally used on modern cars.

Say what?? There are no rocker arms. There are no push rods. There are no valve adjustments. There are overhead cams and hydraulic lifters. The cam lobes contact the lifters directly and open and close the valves.

I don't hear anything in the video. Maybe your curlers are rattling
Old 04-09-2023, 05:22 PM
unskirted
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 25 Posts

Just wanted to Re bump this thread incase there were new updates. Been hearing it in my 22’4 GTS.
Old 04-09-2023, 05:57 PM
mrmichaelsankey
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by unskirted
Just wanted to Re bump this thread incase there were new updates. Been hearing it in my 22’4 GTS.
My 4S still does it, was told it was the fuel pumps on the end of the cams….. can’t be bothered to take it further as nothing has broken and bigger fish to fry.
I do notice if I stick a tank of E10 fuel in it’s a little louder, so stick with the quality stuff as much as possible
Old 04-09-2023, 08:19 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Originally Posted by unskirted
My car still does it, to be frank as we hadn't seen anyone post about it for a while I wondered if Porsche had found the cause and resolved it. I think yours is the 1st report I've seen of it in latter car.
Old 04-14-2023, 04:17 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,059 Likes on 533 Posts

My car still does it, to be frank as we hadn't seen anyone post about it for a while I wondered if Porsche had found the cause and resolved it. I think yours is the 1st report I've seen of it in latter car.
My neighbor purchased a base 22 911 and his does it too. Which makes me think it really is a characteristic of the car. But my first 2020 911 didn't do it! So I STILL don't know what to think about it. I should have just lived with it. But since my first 992 was a buy back. I wasn't taking any more chances. I look forward to seeing what the 992.2 brings. Other than MUCH higher prices! lol.
aggie57 (04-14-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 05:38 PM
unskirted
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
My neighbor purchased a base 22 911 and his does it too. Which makes me think it really is a characteristic of the car. But my first 2020 911 didn't do it! So I STILL don't know what to think about it. I should have just lived with it. But since my first 992 was a buy back. I wasn't taking any more chances. I look forward to seeing what the 992.2 brings. Other than MUCH higher prices! lol.
it’s extremely annoying once you know what it sounds like. At first I thought it was just a clutch chatter like any manual cars, but it seems like it happens for pdk as well
Old 05-15-2023, 07:50 PM
lloydbraun
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a base 2023 911 (made in January'23, delivered late April) and I hear these sounds! Super annoying when just cruising around the city with the top closed. It's clicking/chirping all the time. How is this normal? I took it back to dealership 30 min after I drove it off the lot because I thought something was wrong. Never heard this sound before on 911s I test drove (or Boxsters for that matter). The sales rep acknowledged the sound, wasn't sure what it was, brought the tech to take a look and he said it was normal. All 992s sound like this. I made a note to get a second opinion, at least there wasn't something wrong with the car. I'm surprised there is no fix for this issue and it doesn't seem well known. The car cost $160k but sounds clunky, not what I was expecting for my first big car purchase. I would be happy to pay another 10k just to get this issue fixed. This is crazy. Someone please help! What can we do?
Attached Files
File Type: mov
911_chirping.MOV (5.30 MB, 91 views)

Last edited by lloydbraun; 05-15-2023 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-15-2023, 07:55 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,059 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by lloydbraun
I just bought a base 2023 911 (made in January'23, delivered late April) and I hear these sounds! Super annoying when just cruising around the city with the top closed. It's clicking/chirping all the time. How is this normal? I took it back to dealership 30 min after I drove it off the lot because I thought something was wrong. Never heard this sound before on 911s I test drove (or Boxsters for that matter). The sales rep acknowledged the sound, wasn't sure what it was, brought the tech to take a look and he said it was normal. All 992s sound like this. I made a note to get a second opinion, at least there wasn't something wrong with the car. I'm surprised there is no fix for this issue and it doesn't seem well known. The car cost $160k but sounds clunky, not what I was expecting for my first big car purchase. I would be happy to pay another 10k just to get this issue fixed. This is crazy. Someone please help! What can we do?
Some 992 do it. Some don’t. Porsche hq says it’s normal. I argued that and they bought my 2nd 992 back from me almost a year later. If it bugs you that much call Porsche customer service and ask for buy back department.

good luck.

PS: my neighbors does it too.
Old 05-15-2023, 08:14 PM
lloydbraun
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
Some 992 do it. Some don’t. Porsche hq says it’s normal. I argued that and they bought my 2nd 992 back from me almost a year later. If it bugs you that much call Porsche customer service and ask for buy back department.

good luck.

PS: my neighbors does it too.
Did they reimburse you the full amount? How difficult was it to get the buy back? Ideally I would like to fix the noise and not return the car. It's crazy there are no techs on this forum that can explain why some cars have the noise and some don't, and what the difference is between them, so people can fix the issue.

Quick Reply: Does your 992 make a clicking noise like this?