Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does your 992 make a clicking noise like this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 08:08 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by whilechukwuzout
Ok I did my best to capture the sound today while at the Burger King drive thru. At about 4 seconds I let off the brake slightly and you can hear the noise start to kick in. LMK if this is what you are hearing as well (forgive the selfie action, for some reason I felt like if I pointed the camera towards me it would capture audio on that side better)
https://youtu.be/SligFk2QSOU

ps sorry I have NO idea how to embed a YouTube link.
Yep, same as mine.

Out of interest, when were your cars built? Mine was May 2020, I’m looking for any pattern which connects our cars.
The following users liked this post:
Flash992 (12-09-2021)
Old 12-06-2020, 03:17 AM
whilechukwuzout
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Yep, same as mine.

Out of interest, when were your cars built? Mine was May 2020, I’m looking for any pattern which connects our cars.
mine was a late 2019
aggie57 (12-13-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 02:49 PM
Aventure

Received 68 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey guys, I just picked up a new BGTS 4.0. Obviously a different engine and no turbos. I have the same exact cricket sound and it is LOUD. On cold startup it almost sounds like a bearing screeching. What on earth is this sound? It is terrible. Anybody been able to figure out what it is?
Old 12-13-2020, 06:32 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,601 Likes on 816 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
Here is mine parked and revving with soul sport cats installed now. No crickets. But the second I move the car forward in gear under slight load, the cricket sound comes back. And that was the same with or without sport cats.

https://youtu.be/AfpNKGRhbTE

Check out all that TURBO SPOOL whistle though! They go WOO WOOOO...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSOSJ68xOBA
Im starting to hear this sound too.

te be honest, In my car it’s very subtle and I’m probably only noticing it because I visited Rennlist and encountered this thread. It doesn’t really bother me much and the car still drives great!
Old 12-14-2020, 11:38 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

FYI I’m going to the dealer to get an opinion

Is anybody here still following this issue?
Old 12-14-2020, 11:58 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,012 Likes on 473 Posts

Guys, it's totally normal, the noise is from the chain that powers the engine oil pump, and literally every 992 makes this sound and I've driven a bunch of them. Yes, it's something Porsche should have maybe worked on a bit, but you do get used to it.
PSPorsche (06-14-2024)
Old 12-14-2020, 12:13 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,057 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Guys, it's totally normal, the noise is from the chain that powers the engine oil pump, and literally every 992 makes this sound and I've driven a bunch of them. Yes, it's something Porsche should have maybe worked on a bit, but you do get used to it.
Are you sure its the engines oil pump? Because I can control it via throttle? At a full stop, my clicking noise you can hear well in my video completely stops. The second I move, I hear it clicking. If I slow down again, it will continue to click for a moment until the amount of RPM I somehow built up the clicking speed up too; has a chance to slow down again. So I can stop and go and it will click for a second After I stop until it spins itself down.

I suspect its a pulley of some sort. This just doesn't sound like an oil pump turning on and off to me?

Last edited by BIGWORM; 12-14-2020 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-14-2020, 12:22 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,479 Posts

If I’m not mistaken. I remember the 991.2 making this sound, but it was not throttle dependent. It was just a constant ticking sound. Though I haven’t experienced this on my 992; next time I take it out, I’ll try and listen a little closer? I don’t drive with the windows down & maybe that makes a difference 🤷🏼‍♂️
Old 12-14-2020, 12:25 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Are you sure its the engines oil pump? Because I can control it via throttle? At a full stop, my clicking noise you can hear well in my video completely stops. The second I move, I hear it clicking. If I slow down again, it will continue to click for a moment until the amount of RPM I somehow built up the clicking speed up too; has a chance to slow down again. So I can stop and go and it will click for a second After I stop until it spins itself down.

I suspect its a pulley of some sort. This just doesn't sound like an oil pump turning on and off to me?

https://youtu.be/Bbwt8Zfz85s
Does throttle increase activity of the oil pump? Novice question, but just thought I'd ask
Old 12-14-2020, 12:49 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tupper
Does throttle increase activity of the oil pump? Novice question, but just thought I'd ask
As far as I know, yes it does. But Im not aware of one that continues to spin once you stop. Mine is like pedaling a 10 speed bike and immediately stop peddling. The freewheel in the rear sprocket starts to click once you stop peddling. Mine acts similar to that. But it does spin its self down after I stop.
Old 12-14-2020, 12:51 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by smiles11
If I’m not mistaken. I remember the 991.2 making this sound, but it was not throttle dependent. It was just a constant ticking sound. Though I haven’t experienced this on my 992; next time I take it out, I’ll try and listen a little closer? I don’t drive with the windows down & maybe that makes a difference 🤷🏼‍♂️
I had 2 991.2's (17 S and 19 GTS) and neither of them clicked like this. This is my 2nd 2020 992 in 4 months time and my first one which was bought back for a few reasons, did NOT click at all. So this is why its driving me crazy.
Old 12-14-2020, 12:53 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smiles11

This was different, and a different motor in design almost completely. Also, you'll hear the sound on the 992s with your windows down way more. and yes it is present under throttle, but you hear it the most when letting off the throttle, especially at lower speeds where other noise isn't covering it up. Its absolutely normal for the 992 platform.
The following 2 users liked this post by sechsgang:
BIGWORM (12-14-2020), Tupper (12-14-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 12:55 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

https://youtu.be/Bbwt8Zfz85s

Im not the one that diagnosed the specific cause, thats what many mechanics have said familiar to the 992 platform, but its unilaterally a normal noise for the 992, and yes it can sound loud. Mine sounded like yours does...
The following 2 users liked this post by sechsgang:
BIGWORM (12-14-2020), Tupper (12-14-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 01:05 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

This was different, and a different motor in design almost completely. Also, you'll hear the sound on the 992s with your windows down way more. and yes it is present under throttle, but you hear it the most when letting off the throttle, especially at lower speeds where other noise isn't covering it up. Its absolutely normal for the 992 platform.
Spot on description.
Old 12-14-2020, 01:20 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Im not the one that diagnosed the specific cause, thats what many mechanics have said familiar to the 992 platform, but its unilaterally a normal noise for the 992, and yes it can sound loud. Mine sounded like yours does...
So if this is a "normal" sound, would you recommend I cancel my visit to the dealer to check this out? Because what I'm observing is exactly what BigWorm and others here have described.

Quick Reply: Does your 992 make a clicking noise like this?