Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does your 992 make a clicking noise like this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2023, 02:07 PM
992cricket
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I part of the club? Recently bought a 992 Turbo S ex-demo (didn't want to wait). I noticed this cricket noise the next day. And a friend asked what it was. We both thought it sounded like a loose timing belt or something. Currently at 1800 miles. Idling with a light press on accelerator. Do you hear this or am i going mad.

Also I notice an occassional thumping noise from the rear when i brake hard or round a roundabout. It happens very rarely. I first thought it was something left in the boot/trunk but then I remembered that's the engine!!
Attached Files

Last edited by 992cricket; 09-12-2023 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-21-2023, 07:15 PM
Flatulence
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Angry

Well, I am going to be the guy that figures this out, hopefully. Porsche North America basically ignored me, dealers were baffled, and the car sounds like absolute ****. PCNA and the dealer just didnt care, and doing that convinced me I will never buy a new Porsche again.

I am dropping the car off at one of the top Porsche garages in the NE tomorrow as they want to get to the bottom of this and I am gonna be the guinea pig. I mentioned it to them during a service and they were quite intrigued and agreed it sounded like ****. No codes thrown. Hopefully these fellas can get to the bottom of it. This is gonna cost me some money I think, but I absolutely hate the car in its current condition. If it cant be fixed my plan is to sell it and buy a 991.2. We will see how it goes.
Old 09-21-2023, 09:18 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,057 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Flatulence
Well, I am going to be the guy that figures this out, hopefully. Porsche North America basically ignored me, dealers were baffled, and the car sounds like absolute ****. PCNA and the dealer just didnt care, and doing that convinced me I will never buy a new Porsche again.

I am dropping the car off at one of the top Porsche garages in the NE tomorrow as they want to get to the bottom of this and I am gonna be the guinea pig. I mentioned it to them during a service and they were quite intrigued and agreed it sounded like ****. No codes thrown. Hopefully these fellas can get to the bottom of it. This is gonna cost me some money I think, but I absolutely hate the car in its current condition. If it cant be fixed my plan is to sell it and buy a 991.2. We will see how it goes.
Good luck man. My 2017 991.2 S narrow body was probably my favorite 911 I owned. Problem free the whole time I had it and just a hoot to drive. While I dont feel as special in my current daily driver, BMW M3 comp X drive. It is one hell of a car for the price. I hate its front end. But the overall package trumps the front end IMO. Ive had two since leaving here. If things dont work out with your 992, come on over to the BMW side.

EDIT:
Just realized I originally posted this almost 3 years ago! Wow, time flies! Seems like just yesterday to me.

Last edited by BIGWORM; 09-21-2023 at 09:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
aggie57 (09-21-2023)
Old 09-22-2023, 02:20 AM
Autobacs
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts

I've been on this thread almost from the beginning. Chirping is definitely on almost all the 992s. I understand from all this back and forth that it has to do with the fuel lines and/or the tank vent valves. My tank vent valve kept throwing a check engine light when I first got the car and after it was replaced, the chirping noise got better. I think I can hear it occasionally but I can't tell if I'm just getting used to it or if it did in fact fix the issue. Because it happens at slight pressing the accelerator from idle and coming off of the accelerator at low rpms, my hunch is something vacuum hose related.

Here is the thread from way back where my tank vent valve was replaced. I think Porsche needs to redesign the vacuum system somehow to make it so that it isn't audible.

tank-vent-valve-needed-to-be-replaced-anybody-else-have-this-issue?
BIGWORM (09-22-2023)
Old 09-22-2023, 09:24 AM
Obelix1001
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just at Porsche yesterday for this. They said it’s something to do with the Turbos being so close to the exhaust. They said it has something to do with them winding up and winding down at slow speed. I agree with you btw. It sounds terrible, it’s embarrassing for a 200k car and it’s the first question I get when people hear it… I have a 2020 992 and I will be cancelling my pre-order for a targa as they seem to all have this problem.
Old 09-22-2023, 10:17 AM
adrianp89
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 192 Posts

I have a clicking noise from rear left that I can only hear while slow speed braking. Sounds like nail in tire but only happens on braking.
Old 09-22-2023, 10:38 AM
mrmichaelsankey
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by adrianp89
I have a clicking noise from rear left that I can only hear while slow speed braking. Sounds like nail in tire but only happens on braking.
that sounds like something stuck in the drilled disk?
adrianp89 (09-22-2023)
Old 09-22-2023, 11:05 AM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Obelix1001
Hey guys

I have a high pitched chirping sound that can definitely be heard at slow speeds. But Porsche dismissed it and said it’s normal. Friends that I show the car to immediately hear it and ask me what it is. What do you guys think? It’s the high pitched chirping sound…it drives me nuts.
that is normal and sounds like the 992 generation motor. the whistle sound is the turbos. the tap tap tap sound is just the way the flat six 9a2 sounds.

WE asked porsche to have this guys. we wanted more engine sounds like in the air cooled days.

i can only imagine what you would think if you listened to a 3.2 G-body, 993 ... you would go mad if you heard a 964!
Old 09-22-2023, 11:08 AM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 992cricket
Am I part of the club? Recently bought a 992 Turbo S ex-demo (didn't want to wait). I noticed this cricket noise the next day. And a friend asked what it was. We both thought it sounded like a loose timing belt or something. Currently at 1800 miles. Idling with a light press on accelerator. Do you hear this or am i going mad.

Also I notice an occassional thumping noise from the rear when i brake hard or round a roundabout. It happens very rarely. I first thought it was something left in the boot/trunk but then I remembered that's the engine!!
again, this is just the way the motors sound.
Old 09-22-2023, 11:17 AM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

i will be interested to see what they find. i bet they will charge your for three hours of "diagnostic," ie $750 to find it to be normal. unless your car has a real issue. but if sounds like the videos posted, it is totally normal.

with all the tech in these cars if there was something wrong, anything at all, it would throw a code.

agree with you 100%, PNA is not very helpful.
Old 10-01-2023, 05:26 PM
Euzein
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
Hey all,

I have been two three dealers about this and they all tell me this is normal. That everything sounds fine. I am on my 2nd 992 in a few months time. My first 992 was bought back over a defective PDK. And my 2nd 992 I have now makes a clicking noise that is driving me nuts. This clicking noise happens under low speed and light throttle. When I come to a dead stop the clicking stops. Once I take off, it clicks to a certain point and the engine noise takes over. Ive had a few members state theirs does this too. But I am curious to find out if we all hear this. Because my first 992 did NOT do this.

The clicking like noise starts a nano second before the 3 second mark. Its like a clicking/cricket or pully rubbing on something like sound. I also seem to think I smell burning rubber. But my car only has 1200 miles.

https://youtu.be/Bbwt8Zfz85s

What do you all think this is?

I have the same sound when pressing / releasing the pedal at low rpm/high load .
Please listen to the following after 16 sec and it repeats every second
Old 10-01-2023, 05:45 PM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Euzein
I have the same sound when pressing / releasing the pedal at low rpm/high load .
Please listen to the following after 16 sec and it repeats every second
https://youtube.com/shorts/Lc1DUA7oL...wpo7r3yrqqtWJa
it’s normal.
Old 10-01-2023, 05:55 PM
Euzein
AutoX

This is my second porsche 992. My first is a 992 s and it does NOT make this sound. The video i posted is from my 992 GTS. Do we know from where the sound originates?
Old 10-01-2023, 05:58 PM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Euzein
This is my second porsche 992. My first is a 992 s and it does NOT make this sound. The video i posted is from my 992 GTS. Do we know from where the sound originates?
then take it in.

have them pull your panels. might be a rock that got kicked up and bouncing around.

all 992 makes noises and sounds. it’s what we asked for. we want more engine noises, etc. when you get them everything says something is wrong.

if something was really wrong dude, your ecu would trigger a fault.

but worry about it as much as you like.
Old 10-01-2023, 06:04 PM
Euzein
AutoX

Well that is a convenient answer. I did take it in and the dealership gave this in written “in the given conditions we go for a functional noise. If it is not louden than other cars then we dont go for part replacement. “ As u understant their answer is not what i expected. Either this is normal or not.
They didnt say “yes this is normal for GTS or not its not normal”. And it happens at low rpms/high load and by pressing or depressing the pedal.

Quick Reply: Does your 992 make a clicking noise like this?