Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does your 992 make a clicking noise like this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2023, 08:41 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,057 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by lloydbraun
Did they reimburse you the full amount? How difficult was it to get the buy back? Ideally I would like to fix the noise and not return the car. It's crazy there are no techs on this forum that can explain why some cars have the noise and some don't, and what the difference is between them, so people can fix the issue.
Yes they did. Both times. Full refund.

1st 2020 992 S PDK leak. Cant fix, during covid. Instant buy back
2nd 2020 992 S, 162K spec. Left dealer with PDK paddles that didnt work. Berm stereo speaker rattling bad. Then I heard the clicking. I went to 4-5 different dealerships. Most said they heard it and it was NOT normal. Only to come back and tell me HQ told them, its normal. When asked why some do it and not others. Crickets from both of them.

My 2nd buy back for clicking was not hard. I explained my first 992, not even 2 months old, had to go back due to them not having a PDK to replace mine with. And that I bought an even more expensive 992 that left the lot with PDK shifters not plugged in, speakers rattling, a honking like sound in the exhaust and the clicking. I went back and forth a few emails. But I simply said I did not pay 162K+ to hear clicking. Now in this 2nd buy back, the dealer bought this one back from me. Not Porsche. But Porsche and the dealer all worked together with me. I got a FULL REFUND. My down and every payment, including the tax.

This was during the time when car prices where surging fast! So the dealer only took it back to sell it again at a higher price that I paid. Which is exactly what they did!!!

Last edited by BIGWORM; 05-15-2023 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-15-2023, 09:44 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,570 Likes on 663 Posts

I’ve listened to every video posted and I hear NOTHING. Maybe my old ears can’t hear what you hear, but I hear zero clicking in any of the clips
Old 05-15-2023, 09:47 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
I’ve listened to every video posted and I hear NOTHING. Maybe my old ears can’t hear what you hear, but I hear zero clicking in any of the clips
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Bbwt8Zfz85s

Crank up your speakers. If you listen closely you will hear a cricket like fluttery sound at the beginning. Once you hear it, it will annoy you for life. Its much louder in person.

Last edited by BIGWORM; 05-15-2023 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-15-2023, 10:02 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
Originally Posted by BIGWORM
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Bbwt8Zfz85s

Crank up your speakers. If you listen closely you will hear a cricket like fluttery sound at the beginning. Once you hear it, it will annoy you for life. Its much louder in person.
And:

https://youtube.com/shorts/lSKX23yq-jU

Crazy this is still happening on new cars, 3 years later.
Old 05-16-2023, 04:03 AM
Tkim
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Heard it after a few months on my 21 S. I'm sure it was there from the beginning but maybe i was distracted from the sensory overload. Once you hear it, you can't unhear it.
Got my 23 GTS and no chirping yet.
Old 05-16-2023, 10:35 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
And:

https://youtube.com/shorts/lSKX23yq-jU

Crazy this is still happening on new cars, 3 years later.
If I listen carefully I can hear it...but I would never thought anything about it w/o this thread. Our engines make all kinds of mechanical noises to start with that I never hear on other cars...and I got used to log it under "that's normal".
The following users liked this post:
Tupper (05-16-2023)
Old 05-16-2023, 10:57 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 816 Posts

My car made the same sound. Ultimately, nothing is wrong with the car. This is just how it sounds. I would surmise that Bigworm's buyback occurred not because the dealer felt that the car had something wrong with it, but because the dealer knew that if they bought it back, they could still resell it at a profit due to the crazy sports car prices at that time. I am willing to bet that they did exactly that with Bigworm's car. It's just a matter of selling that car to somebody who isn't bothered by the sound.

In my case, yes I heard the sound, but to me it wasn't a big deal--if threads like this had never been started, I may very well have just chalked it up to "that's just another mechanical sound that this car makes" and not given it another thought. Also, bear in mind I drove my car top down majority of the time, so I could hear EVERYTHING.

Different strokes for different folks
Old 05-16-2023, 12:46 PM
justince
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

Seems like every 9a2 evo has this and it’s normal. I’ve yet to find a raw audio clip for a car that doesn’t have it, regardless of what people may claim.

It ain’t pretty but it is what it is :shrug:
Old 05-16-2023, 01:04 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

My Toyota Tacoma V6 sounds the same. The high pressure fuel pump has a rhythmic thump and the direct injectors click.
Old 05-16-2023, 06:09 PM
lloydbraun
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2nd 2020 992 S, 162K spec. Left dealer with PDK paddles that didnt work. Berm stereo speaker rattling bad. Then I heard the clicking. I went to 4-5 different dealerships. Most said they heard it and it was NOT normal. Only to come back and tell me HQ told them, its normal. When asked why some do it and not others. Crickets from both of them.

My 2nd buy back for clicking was not hard. I explained my first 992, not even 2 months old, had to go back due to them not having a PDK to replace mine with. And that I bought an even more expensive 992 that left the lot with PDK shifters not plugged in, speakers rattling, a honking like sound in the exhaust and the clicking. I went back and forth a few emails. But I simply said I did not pay 162K+ to hear clicking. Now in this 2nd buy back, the dealer bought this one back from me. Not Porsche. But Porsche and the dealer all worked together with me. I got a FULL REFUND. My down and every payment, including the tax.

This was during the time when car prices where surging fast! So the dealer only took it back to sell it again at a higher price that I paid. Which is exactly what they did!!!
Thanks for the info, may consider this. Just disappointed it may come to this, but happy that I'd be able to get a full refund.
Old 05-16-2023, 06:45 PM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Received 631 Likes on 299 Posts

pretty sure mine does this and i didn't notice it until a couple thousand miles. slow speeds, nears walls, and with the windows down. figure it's just another one of the fun mechanical noises the car makes which i appreciate. would actually rather hear little mechanical noises over exhaust.

i'll add that the noises the car makes on cool down bring me joy. i like to putter around the garage listening to the pops and pings after a nice drive.
Old 05-16-2023, 06:52 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

which is sad because we all miss BIGWORM in the. RL threads. Where you been?
The following 2 users liked this post by Fullyield:
aggie57 (05-16-2023), Tupper (05-17-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 01:36 AM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Fullyield
which is sad because we all miss BIGWORM in the. RL threads. Where you been?
Ah thank you kind sir.

I went back to BMW and got a M3 sedan. I’m actually on my 2nd one now. I’ll be back here someday though. I still poke in here from time to time. Hope all is well for you and the other members.

Old 05-29-2023, 02:47 PM
jolivierdowney
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good afternoon and happy Memorial Day. New to this forum and currently ownership is 2023 Turbo S less than 500 miles and I have the same issue of this chirping and its unbearable additionally there is a trim panel loose that needs replacement. The experience is frankly bad to say the least. Will read the thread entirely to figure out what to do.
Old 05-29-2023, 03:05 PM
mrmichaelsankey
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 147 Posts

Chirping….. techs still say it’s the fuel pumps and it’s a “feature” of the car.

trim panel, which one? My passenger door around the handle area still rattles occasionally although Porsche didn’t want to fix it (they couldn’t hear it so I shoved some foam around it).

Quick Reply: Does your 992 make a clicking noise like this?