Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does your 992 make a clicking noise like this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 08:00 AM
mrmichaelsankey
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 147 Posts

Ok, out came the tech, took him 30 seconds to answer my question once we agreed on the noise I was concerned about.

”fuel pumps (two apparently that run off the cams) on the front of the engine to create the 200bar pressure needed for the injectors. It’s a 992 thing, nothing is broken and nothing will break.
Some cars are noisier than others, but if you get them up on a ramp, get them hot, to some degree they all make this noise”

And I’ve never seen a dealership with so few cars for sale…. The car drought is real people!
The following users liked this post:
smiles11 (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 12:43 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,061 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmichaelsankey
Ok, out came the tech, took him 30 seconds to answer my question once we agreed on the noise I was concerned about.

”fuel pumps (two apparently that run off the cams) on the front of the engine to create the 200bar pressure needed for the injectors. It’s a 992 thing, nothing is broken and nothing will break.
Some cars are noisier than others, but if you get them up on a ramp, get them hot, to some degree they all make this noise”

And I’ve never seen a dealership with so few cars for sale…. The car drought is real people!
Interesting! Thank you for the update. I wonder if I can upgrade my fuel pump...LOL.
Old 07-30-2021, 12:47 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,907 Likes on 1,535 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
Interesting! Thank you for the update. I wonder if I can upgrade my fuel pump...LOL.
Likewise, although other cars I've driven with similar high-pressure fuel systems don't make this noise.
Old 07-30-2021, 12:54 PM
mrmichaelsankey
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Likewise, although other cars I've driven with similar high-pressure fuel systems don't make this noise.
He was convincing, but I’m still not 100% sold.

Time will tell… that’s for sure. Two common rail high pressure pumps, never seen it on petrol cars before and I doubt on a tar burner you’d hear it anyway over the clatter of the engine.

just going to turn up the radio and ignore it.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:56 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

He was convincing, but I’m still not 100% sold.

Time will tell… that’s for sure. Two common rail high pressure pumps, never seen it on petrol cars before and I doubt on a tar burner you’d hear it anyway over the clatter of the engine.

just going to turn up the radio and ignore it.
Yea me too. Trust me, I want to believe. But I really seem to think this sound is related some sort of wheel/gear spinning up and down. And mine seems to have changed in sound too. Mine use to sound EXACTLY like Aggie57 videos. But as of lately, I seem to think mine sounds more like a bicycle rear sprocket free wheel clicking when you stop pedaling.
Old 08-11-2021, 11:25 PM
sethstein992
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

longtime reader, first time poster. Took delivery of my first 992 this weekend - and I too have "the NOISE".

Took it into the dealer BEFORE finding this thread.

Dealer said "it's normal" after keeping the car for a day and driving it 6 miles to hear a low speed issue.

Bit heartbroken by the noise and the seemingly lack of solve from Porsche - and the "it's normal" line.....when it's really not normal is not ok.

Hoping there is a solve of some kind on the horizon. In the meantime, reached out to Porsche NA to try to continue to bring it to the surface.

Old 08-11-2021, 11:54 PM
ChalkThe911
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by sethstein992
longtime reader, first time poster. Took delivery of my first 992 this weekend - and I too have "the NOISE".

Took it into the dealer BEFORE finding this thread.

Dealer said "it's normal" after keeping the car for a day and driving it 6 miles to hear a low speed issue.

Bit heartbroken by the noise and the seemingly lack of solve from Porsche - and the "it's normal" line.....when it's really not normal is not ok.

Hoping there is a solve of some kind on the horizon. In the meantime, reached out to Porsche NA to try to continue to bring it to the surface.
Welcome to the party 😁
The following users liked this post:
sethstein992 (08-12-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 10:23 AM
GTS21
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 57 Posts

Hey all,

I have been two three dealers about this and they all tell me this is normal. That everything sounds fine. I am on my 2nd 992 in a few months time. My first 992 was bought back over a defective PDK. And my 2nd 992 I have now makes a clicking noise that is driving me nuts. This clicking noise happens under low speed and light throttle. When I come to a dead stop the clicking stops. Once I take off, it clicks to a certain point and the engine noise takes over. Ive had a few members state theirs does this too. But I am curious to find out if we all hear this. Because my first 992 did NOT do this.

The clicking like noise starts a nano second before the 3 second mark. Its like a clicking/cricket or pully rubbing on something like sound. I also seem to think I smell burning rubber. But my car only has 1200 miles.

https://youtu.be/Bbwt8Zfz85s

What do you all think this is?
That sounds like ****.
Old 08-12-2021, 10:41 AM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GTS21
That sounds like ****.
Yup. Worst part is, it comes and goes for me.
Old 08-12-2021, 03:41 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Video doesnt pick it up very well. But here is how my cricket/clicking noise currently sounds. The 9-11 second mark is my ice tea shaking, I do not think its fuel pump related. Mine stops the second I use hold assist. If I press the brakes and lightly hold my car still (without it going into hold mode), it will still click. But the second I press the brake down hard for hold assist, it completely stops. To me if it was the fuel pump, wed hear it all the time and louder under gas.

Old 08-12-2021, 03:44 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,622 Likes on 822 Posts

^ Yeah, I actually wonder if it has more to do with the transmission than anything related to the engine.

You hear it in “Drive”, but never when in “Park”. When you are in “Park” doesn’t the flywheel disengage with the transmission in most cars?
Old 08-12-2021, 03:46 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tupper
^ Yeah, I actually wonder if it has more to do with the transmission than anything related to the engine.

You hear it in “Drive”, but never when in “Park”. When you are in “Park” doesn’t the flywheel disengage with the transmission in most cars?
Im not sure about the park mode. I believe Aggie57 was able to make his click in while in park mode in his driveway or garage.
Old 08-12-2021, 11:35 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Im not sure about the park mode. I believe Aggie57 was able to make his click in while in park mode in his driveway or garage.
My car’s a manual, I was in neutral for that video but it does it in gear as well, both standstill and moving.
Old 08-24-2021, 11:46 AM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Im going back into service for a few other issues. But I plan to bring this back up. My clicking seems to be getting louder. I will update what they say. I have plenty of video where you can clearly hear it. And I plan to take them for a drive so they can hear it on demand. Hopefully we get some solid answers or a solution. Because I do not think this is a fuel pump or injector related. I think its something that spins. Guess well see... I will update this later.
Old 08-24-2021, 12:24 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Im going back into service for a few other issues. But I plan to bring this back up. My clicking seems to be getting louder. I will update what they say. I have plenty of video where you can clearly hear it. And I plan to take them for a drive so they can hear it on demand. Hopefully we get some solid answers or a solution. Because I do not think this is a fuel pump or injector related. I think its something that spins. Guess well see... I will update this later.
I agree, I’ve heard plenty of noisy injectors and fuel pumps over the years and they sound nothing like this.

Which dealer do you take it to?

Quick Reply: Does your 992 make a clicking noise like this?